Author Topic: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#1 now featured!!)  (Read 24163 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#1 now featured!!)
« on: December 17, 2016, 05:30:25 PM »
I figured it was about time for one of these again, and this time I am going favorite musicians.  How much I like them as a musician obviously matters a ton, but I also factored in how much I liked them as personalities as well. Some got bumped up higher because they are great guys and easy to love, and some got bumped off the list completely because while I might be big fans of them as strictly musicians, I am not a fan of their personalities/public images/whatever.  Call it an arbitrary system, but it's my list. :biggrin:

Off we go...

25. John Bonham

I know little about the guy outside of his drumming, but he's probably number 2 on the list of drummers I air drum to the most. Or shall I say, foot drum. ;)  The Ocean played one day at work last week and it was brought to my attention that while working, I was pounding away with my feet on the floor to the song; I didn't even realize I was doing it.  And as a professional air drummer, it's pretty damn impressive when a drummer can have you subconsciously foot drumming while working. :tup :tup  Along with The Ocean, other Led Zeppelin songs that I will always air or foot drum to are When the Levee Breaks and Whole Lotta Love.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:49:17 PM by KevShmev »

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#25 now featured!!)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 06:31:22 PM »
Probably my favorite drummer of all time. His playing is so damn heavy, but still lots of nuance and subtlety. I don't think there is a heavier drummer out there.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 06:44:16 PM »
The heaviness really conveys the confidence and conviction in his playing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 06:49:04 AM »
A song like D'yer Mak'er is pretty insane, too, especially when you consider that the drums are practically the lead musical instrument in it.  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 07:00:36 AM »
The driving force behind the great Led Zeppelin.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 11:08:10 AM »
A song like D'yer Mak'er is pretty insane, too, especially when you consider that the drums are practically the lead musical instrument in it.  :metal

The funny thing about this song is that the rest of the band felt like Bonham couldn't quite get the rhythm right. They were obviously going for a Reggae sound, but the end result is probably a lot more distinctive and unique than they could've imagined. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 06:20:57 PM »
Yeah, I can see that. That's interesting.

Oh, and the beginning of The Wanton Song is blistering. :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#24 now featured!!)
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 07:57:06 PM »
24. Paul McCartney

It's always a close call between Lennon and McCartney, as to which Beatle is my favorite, but McCartney gets the edge since his post-Beatles work is far better (even before Lennon's death), plus Lennon's personal live stuff that has come out doesn't reflect too well on him.  I've been a Beatles fan since I was 7 and the middle section of A Day in the Life, written and sang by McCartney, was one of those things that even at the age I knew was pretty damn awesome. Too many great songs and moments to cite them all. Sir Paul's greatness goes without saying.  :coolio

Offline Jester

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 08:37:38 PM »
I've always tried to separate Lennon/McCartney and I always end up with "why do it?"  Too bad they didn't ask themselves that.  Separate they are great.  Together they are the greatest.

As far as McCartney goes, Maybe I'm Amazed is in my six star (on the five star system) level.  Had too many five star songs, so I had to create a subset.  My ratings go to 6, when you need that extra lit bit over the edge.

I've tried to get into his post-Beatles work, but other than a gem here and there, it feels more like a homework assignment than pure joy.

BTW, here's a video of me trying to come up with ratings for songs on Foobar
The answer is ... 4?
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 04:40:45 AM »
Already two legends. Following.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 06:32:18 PM »
Following.

:coolio

I've always tried to separate Lennon/McCartney and I always end up with "why do it?"  Too bad they didn't ask themselves that.  Separate they are great.  Together they are the greatest.

I'd be interested to see how many Beatles songs McCartney and Lennon actually wrote together.   The credits don't tell us anything, since they had agreed in the Beatles that they would get share songwriting credit no matter who wrote the song, but you can always tell who wrote what (based on who sings).  That aside, I think it goes without saying that both were at their best in the Beatles. :tup :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 06:34:53 PM »
The man can sure write, play and sing a hook.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 06:54:44 PM »
Awesome!! Definitely following. Can't wait for more!

McCartney is awesome. The Beatles are awesome and they have forever changed my views on rock music. Two awesome musicians. Keep it coming!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#23 now featured!!)
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 07:06:42 PM »
If you insist...;)

23. Steve Walsh

I have long been of the opinion that in his heyday, in his prime, there was no better rock singer than Steve Walsh.  I'll take 1973-1980 Steve Walsh over anyone, before all of that smoking ruined his voice.  Most interviews I've seen with him make me think he was kind of a crabby guy :lol, but he makes the list on the strength of his keyboard playing and singing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 07:29:36 PM »
Calling LudwigVan!!

Maybe I just haven't heard enough Kansas. He has never really jumped out at me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 07:33:32 PM »
I absolutely love his voice and the man is an energizer bunny on the stage.  Never running out of energy.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 07:56:54 PM »
McCartney's solo career absolutely outstripped Lennon's. The only complaint that one might lodge is that his songs are mostly all sweet and fluffy. Lennon, on the other hand, lent most of the bite and edge to the Beatles' music.

Calling LudwigVan!!

Maybe I just haven't heard enough Kansas. He has never really jumped out at me.

Honestly, I have no idea how a talent like Steve Walsh wouldn't jump out at you. Especially for someone as focused on vocals as you are!
 :biggrin:
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 07:59:24 PM »
McCartney's solo career absolutely outstripped Lennon's. The only complaint that one might lodge is that his songs are mostly all sweet and fluffy. Lennon, on the other hand, lent most of the bite and edge to the Beatles' music.

While I agree...

Oh! Darling

Honestly, I have no idea how a talent like Steve Walsh wouldn't jump out at you. Especially for someone as focused on vocals as you are!
 :biggrin:

QFT.  Dust in the Wind, which everyone knows, alone makes him one of the best rock singers ever.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 08:02:02 PM »
I'll see if I can get some Kansas in tomorrow. Maybe he's sneaky good. And obviously I've heard Dust In The Wind a million times. He doesn't suck. I know that. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 08:06:00 PM »
Leftoverture is an amazing album.

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 08:12:32 PM »
If you insist...;)

23. Steve Walsh

I have long been of the opinion that in his heyday, in his prime, there was no better rock singer than Steve Walsh.  I'll take 1973-1980 Steve Walsh over anyone, before all of that smoking ruined his voice.  Most interviews I've seen with him make me think he was kind of a crabby guy :lol, but he makes the list on the strength of his keyboard playing and singing.

Heh, thank you! Steve Walsh is amazing. Kansas is an amazing band and I've only listened to maybe two of their albums, but Walsh stands out the most.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 08:25:16 PM »
Nice list so far, Kev... looking forward to seeing the rest  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 11:03:25 AM »

Just gave it a spin.
Way too many loopy keyboards for me. Carry On is such a tease, and I just don't think the rest delivers. Magnum Opus is cool though.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 03:13:23 PM »
One of my favorite albums of all time :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 03:17:49 PM »

Just gave it a spin.
Way too many loopy keyboards for me. Carry On is such a tease, and I just don't think the rest delivers. Magnum Opus is cool though.

I'm a little surprised.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2016, 05:18:35 PM »
One of my favorite albums of all time :tup

You and me both. :coolio

Just gave it a spin.
Way too many loopy keyboards for me. Carry On is such a tease, and I just don't think the rest delivers. 

Epic fail is epic.

Nice list so far, Kev... looking forward to seeing the rest  :tup

:tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#22 now featured!!)
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2016, 09:37:02 PM »
22. Nick D'Virgilio

One of the best drummers to come out in the last 20 years, I think NDV is often overlooked in that regard.  His awesome drum parts don't always jump right out at you, but often times you keep hearing them as you listen more and you find yourself really loving his subtle, yet incredible playing; the intro to Spock's Beard's Harm's Way is a good example.  And of course he has plenty of awesome parts that do grab you right away...the middle of With Your Kiss!  That section is high on my list of moments that I always air drum.  :metal  Plus, the guy is a helluva singer, with a warm, engaging voice, that is suited extremely well for lead or background vocals.  And the guy has always struck me a classy guy, always gracious and with nothing but kind words.  Great all-around musician. :coolio

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
Nice call with Nick. He's definitely one of the most underrated musicians in the prog, or any, world. He's multi-talented and has a great list of musicians he's played with.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 04:02:27 AM »
I had a blast seeing him wth SB, with his band The Fringe.  Multi-talented send a great voice.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 08:38:07 AM »
What an immensely talented singer, player, songwriter, everything. I got to meet him many years ago, he is such a nice, polite, happy guy.

I'll just leave this video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czuRE6W4LS8

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2016, 09:06:44 AM »

Just gave it a spin.
Way too many loopy keyboards for me. Carry On is such a tease, and I just don't think the rest delivers.
*speechless*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#21 now featured!!)
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2016, 08:41:17 PM »
21. Ben Gibbard

Great songwriter, good singer and solid guitar player, but the thing that puts him on my list is his lyric writing; he is undoubtedly on my Mount Rushmore of rock lyricists.  His lyrics almost always paint a wonderful picture, and he does a great job of using clever wordplay, while rarely beating you over the head with the meaning.  What Sarah Said and The New Year are Exhibit A and B for what a great lyricist he is.   :hat

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2016, 10:30:54 PM »
The new Monkees track "Me and Magdalena" Gibbard wrote, and despite it being the token Hipster track from Good Times! It's still not a song I got sick of. Although the faster version that was a b-side I found to be even better.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2016, 01:08:26 AM »
I'm completely unfamiliar with this guy. Any suggestions on a good thing to check out first from him?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mladen

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2016, 06:26:35 AM »
Maybe The Photo album. It's the name of an album by his band, Death Cab For Cutie.

Ben is just a cool guy, never stands out to me as particularly amazing, but still a cool guy. Good songwriter, good singer, solid all around. And he is one fine lyricist.