Poll

Whose EP is the best?  

Elite
Parama
Shadow Ninja 2.0
Train of Naught
twosuitsluke

Author Topic: Tomislav's Roulette v. The Best of Roulette  (Read 70402 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. EP(ic) ROUND
« Reply #1225 on: May 06, 2017, 03:25:50 AM »
Home's EP will be posted first :|
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. EP(ic) ROUND
« Reply #1226 on: May 06, 2017, 03:26:19 AM »
Home's EP will be posted first :|

Yeah duh, he's not in the competition.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. EP ROUND: LET IT FLOW
« Reply #1227 on: May 06, 2017, 09:51:03 AM »
parama's ep - every song sucked, i'm feeling a light to decent opinion

also if you post my EP results today (because i lost) then i will start my roulette thread today. i'm basically ready, just deciding between 8 or 10 players & polishing up my posts a little
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:54:36 AM by Parama »

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. EP ROUND: LET IT FLOW
« Reply #1228 on: May 06, 2017, 11:24:24 AM »
In that case...

no, not yet :corn

I tried to rank all the songs and it's more difficult than I thought it would be so you'll have to wait a little bit for first write-ups. Still need to adjust few scores.

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. EP ROUND: That one that is not
« Reply #1229 on: May 06, 2017, 02:11:56 PM »
Let's start with short write-up of bonus EP. Take the scores with grain of salt because I didn't think about these too much (as I did with other EPs).
Number in brackets is the song's ranking in this round.

home: The EP That Wasn’t Meant To Be

*shels - The Conference of the Birds

I think I said it more than one, I have this weird affair with post-rock. I need to be in the right mood and it has to be really good for me to like it. Well, I don't think this was is very good. And it has grown on me (then you know how much I liked it at first). It goes and goes but it never grab me until the end and it is too long for what it offers. The ending is pretty great though (that part with trumpet). If only it was shorter...

6.5/10 (#34/40)

London Grammar - Hey Now

Ok, I had hard time rating this song because it is kind of song I like on moments and dislike in other moments (same thing with most modern pop or pop in general). But it is pretty cool when I'm in mood for it, very chill and relaxing music. On the other hand it is monotonous and it can get boring.

7/10 (#31/40)

Nothing More - I'll Be Ok

This is where it gets awesome! As you know, I heard them before (because I turned This Is The Time down) but I didn't heard other than said song. I  absolutely love singer's voice and it does remind me of Fair to Midland, but with better production. What I like in this song is the catchiness, overall sound and emotions. Chorus, particularly, sounds huge. I think it took me one listen to start singing along :P (even though I still don't know lyrics).
(btw guys, this was filler for This Is The Time :D )

8.5/10 (#7/40)

La Dispute - King Park

Another band I heard before, once on plug.dj and second time when I got them recommended by Spotify. I loved both songs and I would've checked them out anyway even if you didn't send them but this definitely put them at the top of my wishlist. And why didn't I get more post-hardcore in this roulette? :-\ Anyway, King Park is really really sick song. Spoken vocal style really contribute to emotions of the song, and singer is obviously into it. Also, song's theme: daaaamn. It is cringey on moments tbh but I don't care :P

8.5/10 (#3/40)

Nothing More - God Went North

Another Nothing More song and it is equally good as the other one. It took me more time to get into it than I'll Be Ok though. I could almost copy and paste that write-up so there isn't much to say :P These guys know how to make a good chorus, makes me want to scream with them every time I hear it.

8.5/10 (#8/40)

Slowdive - Golden Hair

This song is just fine. I don't remember much about it because it is boring to me so I don't have anything to say :D I don't know the original either and I know you like it so maybe there's connection, maybe I should like the original before liking this. But yes, I can listen to this but I'd rather not :P

5.5/10 (#38/40)

Flow: It sounds worse on paper :P Having two atmospheric songs at the beginning and at the end, and different song in the middle could be a disaster but it isn't here, I kinda liked to.
3/5

Three songs in the middle were absolute blast :metal I don't want to rub the salt into the wound but you should've sent one of them instead of Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating in Space in last round :ontome:

TOTAL EP SCORE: 18.54/25 + 3/5 = 21.54 (it would be EP #4/5)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:07:41 AM by Tomislav95 »

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. EP ROUND RESULTS: That one that is not (bonus)
« Reply #1230 on: May 06, 2017, 02:23:16 PM »
Thanks a lot for the write-ups man, I really appreciate it!

I'm really happy with the scores the middle three songs got. The conference of birds definitely takes quite some time to go into epic mode, so I can totally understand your comments about that song. I do think you're the first one giving such a low score to Golden Hair tho  :P The original having emotional value for me definitely helps with me loving this song so much yeah.

These guys know how to make a good chorus, makes me want to scream with them every time I hear it.
Yuuup!  :metal

And why didn't I get more post-hardcore in this roulette?
I didn't know you'd be in to that kind of stuff, but it's great to see more love for La Dispute here  :biggrin:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1231 on: May 06, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »
3. La Dispute - King Park
7. Nothing More - I'll Be Ok
8. Nothing More - God Went North
32. London Grammar - Hey Now
35. *shels - The Conference of the Birds
39. Slowdive - Golden Hair

lol two songs scored lower that 5.5  :corn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1232 on: May 06, 2017, 02:27:46 PM »

I didn't know you'd be in to that kind of stuff, but it's great to see more love for La Dispute here  :biggrin:
Did you hear Brand New's Daisy? La Dispute sounds like Brand New on cocaine :lol (I wanted to say that in write-up, damn)

And thanks, Parama :tup forgot to add the list

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1233 on: May 06, 2017, 02:30:29 PM »
36. Hacride - Awakening
37. Xanthochroid - Rebirth of an Old Nation
38. Eryn Non Dae. - Chrysalis
40. Cobalt - Witherer
41. The Hirsch Effekt - Ira

updated it

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1234 on: May 06, 2017, 02:31:59 PM »
Oops, Slowdive is actually at 36 :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1235 on: May 06, 2017, 02:34:20 PM »
36. Slowdive - Golden Hair
37. Hacride - Awakening
38. Xanthochroid - Rebirth of an Old Nation
39. Eryn Non Dae. - Chrysalis
40. Cobalt - Witherer

gotcha

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1236 on: May 06, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »
 :tup

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1237 on: May 06, 2017, 02:36:32 PM »

Did you hear Brand New's Daisy? La Dispute sounds like Brand New on cocaine :lol (I wanted to say that in write-up, damn)
Nope I've just listened to The Devil and God are raging inside me, but I'll try to check Daisy out soon. Also  :lol
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1238 on: May 06, 2017, 02:37:34 PM »
i tried listening to other brand new stuff but it didn't do so much for me.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1239 on: May 06, 2017, 02:42:24 PM »
Devil and God is easily my favorite (and still one of my all time favorite albums), Deja Entendu is also great and Daisy is good but different. And there that debut that sounds like pop-punk.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1240 on: May 06, 2017, 04:46:14 PM »
Woo, looking forward to this. I'm actually feeling pretty confident about my EP.  Bring it!!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1241 on: May 06, 2017, 05:15:27 PM »
I was waiting for anyone else to show up because I didn't want silence when results are in, damn it :P and now I realized I didn't check that other write-up I wanted to post today...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1242 on: May 06, 2017, 05:23:54 PM »
post my results :D

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1243 on: May 06, 2017, 05:25:40 PM »
I was waiting for anyone else to show up because I didn't want silence when results are in, damn it :P and now I realized I didn't check that other write-up I wanted to post today...

I've not long finished a 13 hour shift at work but I'll be active for a while if you're posting results!

Also, I'm surprised you rated The Conference of the Birds that low, I thought you'd have liked it.

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. EP ROUND RESULTS: Crazy Ira and The Douche!
« Reply #1244 on: May 06, 2017, 06:04:14 PM »
#5: Parama: Holographic Anxiety Engine

Hacride – Awakening

This is pretty much the most “normal” (the least weird) song on the whole EP (after the closer maybe). And it’s still a little weird. Intro riff sounds eerie and I have to admit it got into my head and it gets better when the band kicks in. Even while listening to it for the first time I could see this being a buildup (beside you wrote it in your write-up :P ). So it goes for some time before it gets heavy. Not really brutally heavy and considering this is the first song, I thank you for that. Growly vocals are kinda in Anselmo style (wow 3rd song with Phil Anselmo in this roulette) but I like them here and they fit nicely. This song was all about build-up and I was a bit disappointed when it introduced some more complicated riffs and drum beats. But that’s alright. And of course, there’s that crazy solo I like (do not love). It is interesting and crazy enough, and rhythm is pretty great.
Overall, I liked this song alright. I can’t say it’s my cup of tea at the moment but I could see myself listening to this band sometimes. This song gets your favorite score:

7.5/10 (#20/40)

Cobalt – Witherer

Yes, I loved intro from the first listen. But It gets a bit boring and repetitive, to be honest, but it’s still a killer riff. Vocals are 100% black metal and that’s why I love them (I am fan of blackish vocals). You said they could be offputting but to me, parts with vocals are really good. Even that riff underneath is great. Said that, I got really bored with this track. I don’t know, 4 minutes of this would be enough to me (I don’t think first 4 minutes). If I had to cut it, I would include that part with drum fills and dissonant (?) riffs. Part after that wasn’t really my favorite, it felt like it wasn’t the part of the song and it got overly weird. Then again, sludgy riffing is the best part of the song to me.
This song just isn’t consistent, in my opinion, and it feels disjointed. There are good parts though so it isn’t a trainwreck.

6.5/10 (#36/40)

Eryn Non Dae. – Chrysalis

You wrote, this song never gets boring… well, to me, it is one of the least memorable songs of the round. Not that it’s bad but no matter how much times I hear it, I can’t remember anything about it and nothing from it got into my head. But also, this means I don’t hate it either :P Listening to it now while writing, I remember I liked drumming on this one. Also, vocals get old-school-black-metal at times (maybe it’s just reverb or something) and that’s when I like song the most. And then there’s chill part I don’t like until tremolo picking part (it does sound like ISIS!) which is great but also not too memorable, sorry.
Yeah, I said everything I could. I like it while I’m listening to it but I can’t recall anything about it later :/

7/10 (#33/40)

The Hirsch Effekt – Ira

I think you played them bunch of times on plug.dj and I didn’t like most of the songs (I think there was one I did not hate). Well, I didn’t like this one either. The only thing similar to this I ever listen to is Converge, and that’s like once a year, when I’m in the right mood. Ira grew on me a little but I still don’t like it. And it’s hard to explain why, probably because it isn’t my cup of tea at all. It is just too frantic and dissonant and I don’t think I could listen to the full album of this :/ This was my biggest ‘what were they thinking’ moment. Middle part is more normal, it has some melodies (wow) and after that first part, everything sounds good tbh :P By the time acoustic part kicks in, I want song to be over but it is a refreshment after all those heaviness.
This song really is the punch to the face but I never liked getting punched so… I exaggerated a bit, I admit, but I still don’t like it, sorry.

5/10 (#40/40)

Xanthochroid - Rebirth of an Old Nation

I feel like this whole EP was leading to this song. And it is much different than all the songs before it, maybe the only small flaw in your flow. But I’m glad this is here. Because it is AMAZING :metal Right from the start (the real start) I just feel the emotions coming. It is melodic, anthemic, epic black metal, just how I like it. I feel one vocal track on its own wouldn’t be too special but there are backing vocals which really make this whole. And I said it before, I love black metal vocals when they’re executed well. And here, they are. Also, this song doesn’t feel like almost 10 minutes at all. I really like everything about this song, it is a perfect closer. That short solo at the end is great and then screaming and classic black metal and choir, it is really epic.
Wow, I’m glad you sent this, I need something like this in my life.

9/10 (#1/40)

Flow: There's nothing to be said, transitions are (mostly) smooth and it feels like one album more than most real albums :lol
5/5

Dude, I'm so sorry for this :( I don't know, maybe it would be good EP for someone who likes this kind of music. All of this is really extreme and I don't listen to this kind of extreme. I liked the most 'usual' track the most. Anyway, thank you for this, especially for Xanthochroid, it is the best song you sent (in whole roulette).

TOTAL EP SCORE: 17.5/25 + 5 = 22.5/30

OVERALL SCORE: 63+22.5=85.5

(btw bonus points for getting thread title reference :P )

You were pretty much one of the most consistent participants (you and SN2) until this round where you sent a few songs I didn't like.
I've listened to two artists from which you sent songs already: East of the Wall (really great stuff) and Cursive. Looking forward to others, too, especially getting into C&C finally. Again, this Xanthochroid song was amazing, I want to hear their other stuff.
I think you can be satisfied with outcome of this, our tastes aren't really that similar, you go a lot more extreme than I, and I go more indie than you :P
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:08:29 AM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1245 on: May 06, 2017, 06:10:05 PM »
1. Xanthochroid - Rebirth of an Old Nation
21. Hacride - Awakening
34. Eryn Non Dae. - Chrysalis
37. Cobalt - Witherer

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1246 on: May 06, 2017, 06:10:54 PM »
worst song and best song of the round, i couldn't be more pleased

i was kind of aware this EP wasn't exactly up your alley but i usually just send EPs to my tastes more than to the roulette runner's tastes and see what happens tbh and i'm totally okay with this  :corn

also it should be #5 not #4 correct?

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1247 on: May 06, 2017, 06:18:15 PM »
also it should be #5 not #4 correct?
Yes :facepalm:

pls don't revenge in your roulette :P

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1248 on: May 06, 2017, 06:18:59 PM »
Thread title is a Parks and Recreation reference  :hat

I'm still on it. This counts as a result as far as today is concerned.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1249 on: May 06, 2017, 06:22:33 PM »
Thread title is a Parks and Recreation reference  :hat

I'm still on it. This counts as a result as far as today is concerned.
Yep :hat
Other results sometimes today or tomorrow :P I shouldn't do it for three days, I know, but I don't have everything written.
BTW scores are so close, I fucked it up ;D

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1250 on: May 06, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »
I'm happy to have made it this far so I'm cool with being next. This could be my only shot at winning a roulette though, just saying...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1251 on: May 07, 2017, 01:36:39 AM »
Woha didn't think you'd like Nothing More that much :omg: the album is really good, full of catchy choruses like I'll Be OK (EMPTY ME, EMPTY NATION :metal :metal)

I'm glad I didn't go with the post-rock route, but I kinda realized that it's too risky after sending that Toundra song. Not really expecting to win this but same as luke, I'm happy to have made it this far.

BTW scores are so close, I fucked it up ;D
You mean Parama was supposed to be #4? :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1252 on: May 07, 2017, 01:37:34 AM »
i still think you're gonna win, train, tbh
i voted myself in the poll because if you ask me who sent the best EP it'll always be my own, but in the winners poll yeah it's either you for sending the EP tomislav likes the most or shadow ninja because of his lead

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1253 on: May 07, 2017, 03:09:29 AM »
Forgot to add a short recap of Parama in this roulette, added to write-up.

#3 :soon:

Online twosuitsluke

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1255 on: May 07, 2017, 03:38:20 AM »
I mean #4 :lol why do I keep thinking there were 4 participants

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. EP ROUND RESULTS #4: Pray for me...
« Reply #1256 on: May 07, 2017, 04:15:35 AM »
#4: Shadow Ninja 2.0 - Shadow Ninja's Quiet, Downbeat, Occasionally Depressing EP

Gene Loves Jezebel – The Prairie Song

This one was a grower. At first I found it hard to remember anything about it as it is pretty monotonous song. Later, I started to grasp at the certain parts: short sad violin part, bass line and especially last part of the song. That bass line is pretty cool, something I don’t hear in today’s music that much. That made me realize this isn’t song by some indie rock band but 1980’s gothic rock band :D And about that last part, which is my favorite, that line totally got into my head: “pray for me, spare a bead on your rosary”.
This was a really good song. Not among my favorites you sent in this roulette but it is very enjoyable, definitely my type of song.

8/10 (#12/40)

Pete Yorn – Lose You

Growers were theme of your EP, I see. This one again, took me some time to appreciate. But contrary to the opener, I never started to really love this one. It is nice, and everything, piano is beautiful, his voice is not bad at all but I miss something about it and it gets a little boring after a while. Also, I don’t like it when chorus is actually the least interesting part of the song. Verses have some nice melodies and chorus is just repeating same thing over and over. I still liked it, maybe at a different time I’d get what’s it about but right now I don’t.

7/10 (#30/40)

Entwine – Until the End

I never fully got into Shamrain, beside one album, but I recognized singer’s voice here. There, he’s one of my favorite things. Here, it’s even better because he’s joined by female vocalist, contrast of their voices works really well. However, this was one of the songs I expected to like more. This one was not grower at all :P I feel like I heard everything there’s to be heard on my first listen. I tried to listen carefully to hear something new but at the end this song is pretty predictable. Nothing bad about it, it gets a decent score, still. A change of tone in the middle of the song, with some heavier riffing, is welcome addition here, I’d like it if they explored it further and didn’t come back to chorus again so soon. But oh well.
Liked this enough, as I said, I hoped to like it a bit more but I didn’t.

7.5/10 (#17/40)

Second Person – Spilt Milk

After first three songs, which were monotonous (not saying that’s bad), this one's equally monotonous :P I had rollercoaster feelings about this one and it was one of the hardest songs to rate. There isn’t much in it but I still enjoyed it. Main reason is melodies. They are not catchy, immensely beautiful or something, but they are pretty unique. At least to me, I rarely hear something like this. Chorus is my favorite part, it is the part where her voices shines and displays a bit more dynamics.
There’s not much to say about this. I liked it a little more than the song before it.

7.5/10 (#16/40)

Half Moon Run - No More Losing The War

If this went ok by now, here’s where it goes downhill. Also, by now I’d expect small change of pace because four songs like this in a row is a bit much. So, about the song. It is one of the songs I have hard time recalling even though I heard it as much times as any other song. I feel like it is mostly melody that goes over and over. There’s a small part at the end where he does something bit different, and that part is pretty good, but the rest is just boring, sorry.

6/10 (#37/40)

Múm - Green Grass of Tunnel

And here’s another grower. Initially, this one had a point lower score and at the last moment I kinda felt something about it. The first thing this reminded me of was Sigur Ros. It has that landscape music feel and unusual vocals. The problem about it, is its placement on the album. Sorry but I think I’d like this more if it whole album wasn’t so sad, this is too much, man :lol but really, this sounds like it should be beautiful but I miss something or that’s just how I feel about the EP as a whole.

7/10 (#29/40)

The Album Leaf – Window

Just when you thought this write-up can’t get any worse, here’s this. Closing the album with atmospheric song like this would maybe be a good idea if other songs weren’t so sad and depressing. This is the kind of music I rarely like. It has to be really really good and hit me in the right moment for me to like it. You know when would I listen to something like this? When I can’t fall asleep. I’m not saying it makes me sleep because it’s boring but it’s just not something I would listen on regular basis. Well, at least isn’t not screaming until my head hurts (hi, Parama :P ).
I really don't know what else to say, I didn’t like this that much.

5.5/10 (#39/40)

Flow: well, this EP's flow is its flaw making it flow less (wait, is this a paradox?). Songs work fine around each other but having this much depressing and downbeat songs was overkill, it hurt songs I liked.
3.5/5

It is obvious this is my least favorite EP. As I said before, this was too much even for me. I would think you knew my tastes better, considering your lead but either you don't or you were out of stuff to sent :-\

TOTAL EP SCORE: 17.32/25 + 3.5 = 20.82/30

OVERALL SCORE: 65+20.82 = 85.82

So yeah... I feel kinda bad about this because you were #1 the whole time but I didn't like your EP at all, obviously.
But let me mention some of the good stuff you sent. Actually, pretty much everything up to the EP was at least very good. I'm glad you opened my eyes on Dark Tranquillity, I didn't know they sounded like they do, at all (heard that album, it's pretty good). Another song I absolutely loved was Death Dream, it is top 3 of the roulette probably.
I hope you won't hate me after this, sorry :P
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:09:14 AM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Tomislav95

#3: twosuitsluke - Dredging the Depths of Your Psyche

David Maxim Micic - Everything's Fine

I wasn't sure how to rate or what to count these interlude songs like so I just rated them as every other song :P At first, I was thinking of it as just of intro track and wasn't paying attention but last few days I really tried to get into it and it is pretty nice piece. Of course, piano is at the centre here but string takes it to the other level. This track set the tone for (the first part of) the EP nicely.

7.5/10 (#22/40)

Earthside - Mob Mentality

I still have no idea what genre this is because it combines more styles yet I loved it from the beginning. Intro track to the orchestral style of this song works pretty great. Most often, when metal is combined with classical music it tend to get very cheesy and it's not really my style. Here, it is exactly my kind of music and orchestra just makes it better. I think that even without the orchestra this song would sound epic and this way it is epic even more. This really shows how progressive (I guess?) metal should sound like, building and building, and then explode into the powerful chorus. Fortunately, the end is not there :P there are still few minutes and another build-up. I hope whole album sounds like this :D it is really unique music, melodies are memorable and riffs heavy.
Thank you for this. It is pretty close to Myrath's song you sent last round and that means one of the best songs of the roulette :tup

9/10 (#2/40)

Dommin - Love is Gone

Love is Gone is a bit different to the song before it but I think flow is nice there. Again, I had to check what kind of music is, it is pretty poppy and old school sounding but at the same time, it is very 'electric' and fuzzy. You've probably realized how much I like emotional songs and this one is definitely emotional. Singer is big part of that, his voice just bleeds emotions. I don't know how to do this song justice :P it's nothing special but I like it how it is because it is emotional and catchy.

8/10 (#13/40)

Dommin - Dark Holiday

I checked it and it looks like Dark Holiday is right after Love is Gone on the album but I don't think these two songs work back to back :lol And it kinda ruined the flow here. Right at the beginning, that piano is totally different than anything else on this EP. Nevertheless, this song is not bad at all. Again, singer and his singing in chorus are my favorite things about song. I like it when his voice gets gritty. That part at the end of the chorus, with crash cymbal (I guess?) sounds like something from Devin Townsend's album :P
I liked this one as well but not as much as Love is Gone.

7.5/10 (#19/40)

The Black Mages/Nobuo Uematsu - Life (In Memory of Keiten)

(I think I heard this somewhere before :P)
Here is when flow gets totally ruined IMO. Again, as with the intro, it was hard to rate it but it's nice piece so it get's decent score. However, even though I like it, I think it ruined the flow and it was unnecessary :-\

7.5/10 (#23/40)

John Frusciante - Carvel

And there's that song with weird intro :P I heard of John Frusicante, obviously, and for some reason I though his music is similar to RHCP. I don't like RHCP and I'm not fan of funk so I never checked any of his songs. Too bad, because this is fiiiiine. I think this song (along with Nothing More songs home sent) was the one I singed along to the most. Vocal melodies are really catchy and the fact that I can sing along to those 'aahs' without knowing lyrics helps, too :lol My absolutely favorite moments is that chorus where his voice gets really gritty.
Thank you for opening my eyes, I should have checked his music before.

8.5/10 (#5/40)

John Frusciante - Song to Sing When I'm Lonely

This one took me a little longer to appreciate. It feels more like classic rock ballad, something not so special. Yet in the end, it has grown on me. 'Nintendo' intro is a little weird but ok :lol Again, this song sounds like something to sing along too (when I'm lonely :P ). He conveyed emotions of the song nicely, backing vocals help, too. I'm out of words for this one, it is nice, pretty catchy, I like it.

8/10 (#11/40)

Biffy Clyro - Mountains

Another grower here. At first, I thought this song was very bland and it sounded like it should be emotional but also sounded kinda fake. Still, I get similar feeling, especially in the chorus, it just sound weird. I quite like it now, though. Verses are very nice and chorus is catchy. I remember back when I didn't like this one that much, I started singing the chorus once and I knew I will eventually like it :P

7.5/10 (#21/40)

Flow: I can't say your flow is really the best. In fact, it is the worst out of all EPs :P I think you made a mistake with Life (In Memory of Keiten), it feels out of place. Or you should've put Song to Sing When I'm Lonely before Carvel, that would help it, too.
3/5

TOTAL EP SCORE: 19.84/25 + 3/5 = 22.84/30

OVERALL SCORE: 63+22.84 = 85.84

I know you said you're satisfied with even being in the EP round, and you should be because you barely did it with Myrath, but also, you should kick yourself for not winning this :P Your EP average score without flow is easily the best. Too bad you sent some average songs in early rounds.
But also, you sent Myrath which is one of the best songs of the roulette, Type O' Negative and now Earthside and John Frusciante. Good game, man, thanks for playing :tup
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:09:59 AM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Tomislav95

And this:

2. Earthside - Mob Mentality
5. John Frusciante - Carvel
11. John Frusciante - Song to Sing When I'm Lonely
12. Gene Loves Jezebel – The Prairie Song
13. Dommin - Love is Gone
16. Second Person – Spilt Milk
17. Entwine – Until the End
19. Dommin - Dark Holiday
21. Hacride - Awakening
22. Biffy Clyro - Mountains
23. David Maxim Micic - Everything's Fine
24. The Black Mages/Nobuo Uematsu - Life (In Memory of Keiten)
30. Múm - Green Grass of Tunnel
31. Pete Yorn – Lose You
37. Cobalt - Witherer
38. Half Moon Run - No More Losing The War
40. The Album Leaf – Window

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1259 on: May 07, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »
Oops, nonja'd, well here is another list anyway

2. Earthside - Mob Mentality
5. John Frusciante - Carvel
11. John Frusciante - Song to Sing When I'm Lonely
12. Gene Loves Jezebel – The Prairie Song
13. Dommin - Love Is Gone
16. Second Person – Spilt Milk
17. Entwine – Until the End
19. Dommin - Dark Holiday
21. Hacride - Awakening
22. Biffy Clyro - Mountains
23. David Maxim Micic - Everything's Fine
24. The Black Mages/Nobuo Uematsu - Life (In Memory of Keiten)
30. Múm - Green Grass of Tunnel
31. Pete Yorn – Lose You
37. Cobalt - Witherer
38. Half Moon Run - No More Losing The War
40. The Album Leaf – Window

At least two 8.5's left if I recall correctly, damn. I didn't think I'd be top 2 to be honest, luke's EP looks like I may really like it (and I only know the first 2 songs so it's a lot of new stuff too).

EDIT: did luke beat shadow ninja by 0.02 points? :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.