Poll

Whose EP is the best?  

Elite
Parama
Shadow Ninja 2.0
Train of Naught
twosuitsluke

Author Topic: Tomislav's Roulette v. The Best of Roulette  (Read 68479 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. ROUND 5 HANGMAN
« Reply #525 on: February 06, 2017, 04:39:38 PM »
Freedom Dive's artist is XI

looks anime as heck lol
Scar sent it perhaps?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #526 on: February 07, 2017, 01:26:21 AM »
Last open artist is Switchfoot, of which I don't know any songs whatsoever.

Spotify tells me it could be 'The Blues'

Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #527 on: February 07, 2017, 01:58:49 AM »
well home already guessed it  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #528 on: February 07, 2017, 02:08:08 AM »
oh :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #529 on: February 07, 2017, 02:13:23 AM »
twosuitsluke: Type O Negative - Love You to Death
Scar: XI - Freedom Dive ↓
Luoto: Ghost Brigade - Aurora
Parama: fun. - Take Your Time (Coming Home)
Evermind: Vanden Plas - Vision 9ine: Soul Alliance
???: Astronoid - Tin Foil Hats
???: Switchfoot - The Blues
home: Karnivool - Alpha Omega
???: Toundra - Requiem
Sacul: Gorillaz - Kids with Guns
Scorpion: Grayceon - War's End
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 02:20:31 AM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #530 on: February 07, 2017, 02:16:13 AM »
Did Luke send Type O-?
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #531 on: February 07, 2017, 02:20:47 AM »
Yep. Edited my previous post.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #532 on: February 07, 2017, 02:36:59 AM »
No one guessed I sent Type O did they?  :lol

EDIT:Ignore me, I see what happened here  :facepalm:

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #533 on: February 09, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »
So I'm gonna guess, for the final three:

Train = Astronoid

Shadow Ninja 2.0 = Switchfoot

Elite = Toundra

probably 0/3 but I want to know who sent Astronoid!  :rollin

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #534 on: February 09, 2017, 01:30:52 PM »
It's 1/3 but that's same as 3/3 so here it is :D

Elite: Astronoid - Tin Foil Hats
Shadow Ninja 2.0: Switchfoot - The Blues
home: Karnivool - Alpha Omega
Train of Naught: Toundra - Requiem
Sacul: Gorillaz - Kids with Guns

@Elite, your bonus is still waiting for you. Claim it before end of this round :P And when this round ends? Probably on Saturday. This round is pretty hard to rate, most song grew on me a lot and I still don't know what score is give to certain song (inb4 7.5/10)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #535 on: February 09, 2017, 01:34:33 PM »
heck yeeaahhh 7.5

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #536 on: February 11, 2017, 04:37:39 AM »
You can expect results sometime today, doing my last listen right now :tup

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. ROUND 5 RESULTS :SOON:
« Reply #537 on: February 11, 2017, 10:06:39 AM »
This round was definitely the hardest to score. I changed a few scores on last listen and I'm still not sure about some of them but here's what you got. Also, it's not even close to being the worst round as I initially thought.

Round 5 Results

My first thought: wow, this is so frantic. My final thought: wow, this is so frantic. It definitely sounds like programmed shred guitar :lol But… it’s not that bad as I initially thought. I would like it more if it wasn’t so fast all the time. For example, that short piano break is very beautiful. Unfortunately, it gets crazy again after it. This song sounds like Japanese game soundtrack or something and playing is very impressive but I can’t see myself ever listening to it after this round. It’s not bad but it’s not my cup of tea either. (btw I rated this even worse on my first listen :P )

6/10

So... this is one of your favorite songs ever huh... It’s always hard not to think about it when someone tells me that :P I don’t like first part of the song very much, to be honest. String section is when it gets a little more interesting to me. That first part sounds emotional and vocals are emotional as well but I can’t say I like her voice enough, sorry. Vocal melodies are just too monotonous for the most part. The song isn’t bad and I don’t hate it but I have to be honest and say it bored me. I was trying hard to get into it, find something that will transform it from an ok song to great song and unfortunately I didn’t find it.

6.5/10

Sacul: Gorillaz - Kids With Guns

Obviously, I heard of them and I know two of their most popular songs (I guess). I was planning to check them because they seemed pretty cool and lately I started to listen to trip-hop. I have to say they are different than most trip-hop acts I’ve heard. The ones I like, like Archive and Massive Attack, are very moody and atmospheric and judging by these few songs I know, Gorillaz are a little different. I’m not a big fan of those funky bass lines but here it does its purpose and makes the song really catchy. My favorite part is singing in the chorus (I’m indifferent towards rapping). That atmospheric part near the end is very cool as well.
I can’t say it made me eager to check them out but it’s pretty good.

7/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Switchfoot - The Blues

This was closest to you not succeeding in sending me a good song :lol In the end, this song grew on me a lot. Still, I have some problems with it which were up front on my first listen and that’s why I didn’t value this song as much as I do now. Firstly, it sounds like early 2000s alternative rock I usually don’t like. And that’s funny because it is 2000s alternative rock :P Secondly, vocals still sound kinda weird. I don’t know what it is, maybe they are (or just sound that way to me) overproduced. The reason it grew on me are emotions during most of the song, especially You're pushing till you're shoving part. So yeah, I enjoyed it in the end and it gave me chills more than once. However, I don’t know will I check their music further but you can recommend me some of their albums if you wish.

7.5/10

Train of Naught: Toundra - Requiem

I have this weird relationship with post-rock. I love some of it and kinda like the rest of it. I don’t think I’ve ever heard any post-rock that I hated but I also rarely love it very much (unless it’s best of GY!BE or Explosions in the Sky). It’s same with this, I can’t really say there is anything I don’t like with it but still I can’t compare it to the higher scored songs and say I like this equally or more. Nevertheless, this is pretty interesting, especially after the string join the rest of the band. And clearly, it’s structured like a real song, with verses and chorus. Second chorus with strings is definitely better but I understand why strings are not there from the beginning. In every good post-rock song there is a big climax and it is here as well in form of a guitar solo backed by strings and pretty heavy drumming, I like it.
Yeah, I like the song but I have to give it only 7.5/10 due to reasons mentioned before.

7.5/10

I rarely listen to this kind of music, especially if it’s happy as this one, but thank you for sending it :D However, I like when song is catchy, when vocal melodies are good as these are. There is usually problem with catchy songs: they get boring and old fast, no matter how much you like them at first. Well, fun. succeed to make a fun and catchy song and at the same time it is interesting enough to make me keep attention to it. Instrumental is interesting as well. I can’t really choose a highlight of this song, it is pretty consistent even though it’s pretty long song.
I had trouble rating this, it’s pretty good and fun. but I just can’t compare it to other 8s so you get your beloved score again :P

7.5/10

Elite: Astronoid - Tin Foil Hats

I’m not sure but I think Luke played this (or something off this album) like a month ago on plug.dj and I said I don’t like it :lol Well, I’m glad you sent it. This time I liked it from the start. I guess this is shoegaze + black metal, right? I always say that black metal and all its forms are the most beautiful music if done well. And it’s done well. There are some blast beats, fortunately, they are not overused and I love drumming here opposed to some bands that use blast beats. Even though there are some black metal influences, I’m glad vocals are completely clean, it differentiate them from other bands in this blackgaze (or whatever it is). Chorus is something beautiful, one of my favorite moments of this round (can’t find lyrics, I guess it says The clouds upon the sky, sunshine’s on my face). Near the end it goes in Cynic-like territory and I’m not sure if it fits here but it’s ok.
This was a lot to process and I’m still not sure what is the right score to give to this but I’m going with 8 in the last moment. Will check this album out.

8/10

As you know, I heard some of their songs before. Only one I remember was Stone Roses Edge which is awesome. So I knew what to expect before listening to this. Keys in the beginning are kinda Gates of Babylon :P I assume some people don’t like singer very much (but I have no idea really), to me he has somewhat similar timbre to Roy Khan and I love that. Other thing I love is piano underneath heavy riffs, and keyboard playing in general here. Guitar riffs are fine as well, not so much in my opinion, but still good. That quiet break is what makes this song better, with piano, voice and strings (probably keys).
I will definitely (finally) check this album out as this was pretty good. It lacks something to get 8.5 or more but it’s still a great song.

8/10

So you have realized I love audible bass :lol As you said, bass is the backbone of this song, so thick and powerful. And chorus is even better, when electric guitars and growling vocals kick in. Again, guitar tone is absolutely great. Towards the end it gets even more sludgy, that riff is so good. It’s hard for me to find words and describe this song. It’s not really the most original song ever, yet it has enough great parts to keep listener interested and really, every instrument in this song sounds awesome. I don’t know what genre it is, internet says it atmospheric sludge/progressive metal and I’m so glad it’s not as any of these genres. It’s definitely atmospheric and sludgy but there’s safe dose of melodies as well.
This song was one of my favorites in this round from the beginning, I hope their other songs are in similar style.

8/10

I heard some of their songs before as it is something I should like but I didn’t and tbh I didn’t try to hard. Lately, I’ve into bands like Woods of Ypres and Paradise Lost and Type O Negative remind me of those two pretty much. Peter’s deep voice is probably something most people have trouble getting into and it is a little weird at first but it grew on me later, especially in heavier part of the song. Right from beginning, this song is beautiful, some piano and his voice. And with whole band it gets even better, of course. I got used to chuggy, highly distorted riffs in combination with piano in my doom metal and it sounds awesome as always. The reason I like this song even more is because it succeed to be very emotional and everything he says seems so honest even though music is pretty heavy. My favorite part is Sugar Mice part until the end (4:55) :lol You can’t deny it sounds like it. Everything just clicks there: music, singer’s voice, lyrics, emotions.
It gets the same score as that Turisas song but I like this one little more and that makes it your best submission so far :tup Keep it up!

8.5/10

home: Karnivool - Alpha Omega [Live @Ghost City Sessions]

I'm so glad I got this in my roulette because I forgot to put it on my wishlist and I know I wanted to put it since I saw them on someone's Top 50 list (I think it was some other album). And also, this was pretty much love on the first listen :D I heard people compare them to Tool and on moments they are pretty similar. However, judging by this song I will say they have that emotional dimension Tool often lack. By now you probably realized, and maybe you send this song for that reason, I love this kind of progressive songs, when it's cam and quiet in the beginning and then gets heavier and heavier. That middle heavy part is especially great, rhythm section is so tight, love them bouncy bass lines. I have to mention singer as well. There is some Maynard in his voice but (fortunately) not as much as in Soen’s singer. I find his voice perfectly suitable for this kind of music. It’s not that I’m floored by him but at the same time he is serving music perfectly and I couldn’t imagine someone else in his place. This ain't no ordinary life part is awesome.
Yeah, this is pretty much the best song in this round, congrats :D and choose your bonus.

9/10

STANDINGS:
1. Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 40.5 + 1 = 41.5
2. home - 40
3. Train of Naught - 39.5
4. Elite - 39.00001
5. Luoto - 38.5
5. Parama - 38.5
5. twosuitsluke - 38.5
6. Sacul - 38
9. Evermind - 37
10. Scorpion - 36
11. Scar - 35

As you can see, most of you are still pretty close, nothing is lost and noone is safe. There are only 3 more regular rounds after which only first 3 contestants compete for the roulette title in EP round :tup
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:12:29 PM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. ROUND 5 RESULTS ARE HERE!
« Reply #538 on: February 11, 2017, 10:27:35 AM »

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #539 on: February 11, 2017, 11:19:56 AM »
 :omg: Yeaaaaah, I'm so happy with this score! I'll go with the "make up your mind" bonus
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #540 on: February 11, 2017, 11:25:49 AM »
I don’t know what genre it is, internet says it atmospheric sludge/progressive metal and I’m so glad it’s not as any of these genres. It’s definitely atmospheric and sludgy but there’s safe dose of melodies as well.
This song was one of my favorites in this round from the beginning, I hope their other songs are in similar style.

I would describe them a mix of doom metal and post-metal, with occasional melodeath-y moments (not prog in the slightest, people in general just don't know what post-rock is). They do a variety of doom that incorporates sludge, though they don't get super slow or anything. Anathema and Katatonia being among your favourite bands actually inspired the submission.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the chorus of Tin Foil Hats goes "The clouds will part the sky, the sunshine's on my face". Luke probably played Up and Atom, which is my least favourite off the album :lol I'd just call it metalgaze.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:42:00 AM by Luoto »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #541 on: February 11, 2017, 12:17:33 PM »
I don’t know what genre it is, internet says it atmospheric sludge/progressive metal and I’m so glad it’s not as any of these genres. It’s definitely atmospheric and sludgy but there’s safe dose of melodies as well.

I would describe them a mix of doom metal and post-metal, with occasional melodeath-y moments (not prog in the slightest, people in general just don't know what post-rock is). They do a variety of doom that incorporates sludge, though they don't get super slow or anything. Anathema and Katatonia being among your favourite bands actually inspired the submission.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the chorus of Tin Foil Hats goes "The clouds will part the sky, the sunshine's on my face". Luke probably played Up and Atom, which is my least favourite off the album :lol I'd just call it metalgaze.
Yep, post-metal would describe it the best.

:omg: Yeaaaaah, I'm so happy with this score! I'll go with the "make up your mind" bonus
:tup

EDIT: I just realized no one was the winner of the round twice (yet).

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #542 on: February 11, 2017, 12:36:15 PM »
Hell yeah! I had a feeling you'd like this. I basically went on the fact that you like Woods of Ypres  :tup I'll try to keep it up but I inevitably start sucking at roulettes somewhere (or from the off).

It’s get the same score as that Turisas song but I like this one little more and that makes it your best submission so far :tup Keep it up!

Regarding this ^

If this song was better then feel free to give it a 8.75 then  :lol

Yea I did play 'Up and Atom' in the plug.dj, it is my favourite but I pretty much love the whole album. Tomislav, glad you like the one Elite sent and you should definitely check out the album  :metal

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #543 on: February 11, 2017, 12:43:43 PM »
I can't, there is no 8.75 in this roulette :P there should've been 0.25 increments tho, this is the lesson for v2.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #544 on: February 11, 2017, 12:49:02 PM »
I can't, there is no 8.75 in this roulette :P there should've been 0.25 increments tho, this is the lesson for v2.

Ok, I'll take the 9/10 then  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #545 on: February 11, 2017, 04:20:07 PM »
I'll take it. Will send something tomorrrow!

Also I want to check out the Astronoid album, your writeup has intrigued me
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #546 on: February 11, 2017, 04:32:36 PM »
the astronoid album seems like something you'd love tbh, i'm surprised you haven't already checked it out

i think it can be a bit samey but it's only 50 minutes so it doesn't overstay its welcome and it's a cool sound

i've only, listened to it, like 3 times in total though so

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #547 on: February 11, 2017, 06:56:10 PM »
Figured that just sending you a bunch of depressing stuff would get kind of old.

Both that album (Nothing Is Sound) and the previous one (Beautiful Letdown) are fantastic, but if you didn't dig that song, I don't know whether they'd do much for you.

Sent.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 07:06:41 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #548 on: February 11, 2017, 06:57:43 PM »
Whatever.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #549 on: February 12, 2017, 03:45:54 AM »
My round 6 submission has no D.

Offline home

« Reply #550 on: February 12, 2017, 04:44:25 AM »
Sent via Spotify, I'm directly using the bonus :azn:

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #551 on: February 12, 2017, 04:57:30 AM »
Sent a sad-yet-uplifting song through Spotify
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline home

« Reply #552 on: February 12, 2017, 05:53:51 AM »
Sent a sad-yet-uplifting song through Spotify
That sounds like Tommy-core

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #553 on: February 12, 2017, 06:11:43 AM »
I'm not home so I can't reply on Spotify right now but all of you are fine, no need to resend. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #554 on: February 13, 2017, 01:37:44 PM »
I still need to send something don't I

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #555 on: February 13, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »
Yes, you do. No hurry tho.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #556 on: February 13, 2017, 02:21:03 PM »
in no hurry, but the lights are changing up ahead, so I'm stepping on the gas

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: February 13, 2017, 08:25:05 PM »
:lol

Not sure when I'll be able to send, but I guess it's either Thursday or Saturday.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #558 on: February 16, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »
So guys, how about you start sending me songs for round 6? My body is ready! :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #559 on: February 16, 2017, 12:06:34 PM »
thread title em