Author Topic: How do you deal with procrastination?  (Read 2031 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

How do you deal with procrastination?
« on: December 10, 2016, 05:10:42 AM »
Asking for obvious reasons. :-[
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: How do you deal with procrastination?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 05:19:41 AM »
If I try to write a song and it's not happening - I don't force it.

I know when it's not happening. I tend to know pretty early on.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 05:59:17 AM »
Up until High school I was a massive procrastinator, which of course led to working on projects till 3am the night before. I got really tired of that shit, so I just started chipping away at projects.

So If I have a 10 page paper due in two weeks, then I will do like half a page at day, so that way I am always inching forward, but without feeling a lot of pressure at the same time. Its made a world of difference.

I also use a calendar so I can see exactly how much time I have to do each thing that needs to be done.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 06:12:24 AM »
I'm procrastinating by writing this comment right now :lol

For realzies, I think I'm good at controlling it at times, but sometimes I end up stacking up all kinds of work until the day before the deadline.

For instance, right now I'm working on a report that I still have 3 more weeks to work on, and none of my closest friends in class have even started on it. But at the same time, I realize that I still have to start on an assignment that is due Monday before a coach meeting, I still have to send out emails for invitations to have guest lectures for the student organization I'm in, I have to hold an interview about a business' internal models and assess said interview in the form of a presentation within one and a half week, aaand I have to re-do a business report of last term because I massively failbombed the first version.

So yeah, can't say I'm the best. For every step I take forward, I take two backwards. I just take satisfaction in the fact that most people around me are doing worse than me. :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 06:21:31 AM »
I'll tell you tomorrow. :neverusethis:
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 06:58:24 AM »
One thing that can help with some things is breaking down a large, complex task into simple bits (and, list-making is a great form of procrastination!).  When you do that, the next step is both clear and easy, and there's no reason not to take it.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 07:35:35 AM »
I don't.

But really, it's weird I'm a pretty big procrastinator and also a very nervous person. So when I know I should not delay something any further I think and overthink what it will led to and then I do it out of fear of consequences. Not too good for your mental health tho probably :)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 11:08:37 AM »

You beat me to it.  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 07:58:37 AM »
Never do today what can wait until tomorrow and never put off until tomorrow what must be done today.  Or, you can do whatever you want.  :biggrin:

:lol  :clap:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Skeever

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 09:40:40 AM »
One thing that can help with some things is breaking down a large, complex task into simple bits (and, list-making is a great form of procrastination!).  When you do that, the next step is both clear and easy, and there's no reason not to take it.
Agree with this.

I get into an issue where I'll have 4 half hour meetings one day, but scattered in a way that they leave half my schedule totally useless (half hour free here, 40 minutes free there). By default I usually just surf the web during those times (hi) but you can definitely break up your work into chunks where you might have a list of "things I can finish in 30 minutes" and so on.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 10:01:16 AM »
Agree with this.

I get into an issue where I'll have 4 half hour meetings one day, but scattered in a way that they leave half my schedule totally useless (half hour free here, 40 minutes free there). By default I usually just surf the web during those times (hi) but you can definitely break up your work into chunks where you might have a list of "things I can finish in 30 minutes" and so on.

Agree. If I don't make a task list to aim for....work or at home....it becomes more difficult for me to get done. Something about my personality 'likes' the idea behind sticking to and marking things off a list. Maybe it's the sense of accomplishment, but I find that if I don't have something defined like that I don't seek to perform whatever it is.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 10:05:50 AM »
Was going to respond to this earlier, but couldn't be bothered.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 10:54:27 AM »
I find it even more amusing that a thread about procrastination was started by someone whose user name says "I don't not do things".

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 05:27:00 PM »
How do I deal with procrastination?

I normally just put it off until later.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 09:16:21 AM »
Never do today what can wait until tomorrow and never put off until tomorrow what must be done today.  Or, you can do whatever you want.  :biggrin:

I like to say never put off until tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow...

Offline Jester

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 07:45:41 PM »
Try to figure out why you might be procrastinating in the first place.  I haven't really studied it, but I can think of very different reasons why people might do it.

1.  They know they can wait to the last minute.  They might be gifted in the task required and can accept that they can knock out, at worst, the better paper, project, etc., compared to their peers.  They might even get a thrill at how easy it is for them and the only way they can prove that to themselves is to handicap themselves.
Goal:  stop making others your benchmark and start making yourself the benchmark

2.  It is a task they absolutely hate.  Doing the task actually puts them in a bad mood, maybe so far as to make them ill.
Goal:  not sure.  Obviously, "just do it" so you can get past the negative.  But what if this is a re-occurring task.  Maybe something as simple as financial software entry (checkbook and more stuff).  Right now, my motivator is that anything I don't get done by January 1, I have to enter the day, month AND YEAR instead of just day/month.  So the procrastination could turn a laborious chore into even more work.  (note to self.  Enter quickbooks info, ASAP)

Now on general terms, I can do things like:
A.  Creating an outline with bit sized pieces to check off.  Maybe even tell myself I don't get to see that new movie on Friday unless Step 4 is done.
B.  An extension of A, I like strategic video games.  I like games that you can replay to see if you can win it even better than the first time.  In lots of way, that can be a score, but it doesn't have to be that.  Maybe if it is a geopolitical game, you are thrilled at the path to world domination.  If you run a business, you can almost treat it like that.  Think of all the little steps and nuances you can manage on the path to "world domination".  Suddenly, it feels like you are playing a game instead of getting caught in the muckety muck

But there is a procrastination that sometimes come from a feeling of defeat.  Or #3.  Deep down, you know that even if you pull it off with a "perfect score", you will still lose.  Maybe it is your current employment where you have figured out that your particular management doesn't really set up a real success ladder.  They don't even recognize serious accomplishments (that's your job.  Big deal.  You did your job.  Wanna cookie?)  Or maybe if you do too good of a job, they will recognize your talents, but instead of reaping the benefits, you just get a bigger workload because "you are so good at this stuff ... even though it has nothing to do with your job description or even field."  An example would be an accountant that helps with some computer stuff suddenly having to do the accounting and a good share of a stripped down IT department.  But the pay is the same as the counterpart that just does a so-so job at only the accounting.

Sometimes procrastination is telling you not to concentrate on the task, but that you need to make a jump of faith away from what is bringing you down and taking all the joy out of *accomplishments*.

So step 1:  there is no one size fits all solution.   Like with most problems in life, you have to really identify the problem well to even begin the solution process.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline 7th

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 08:22:37 PM »
I love procrastination.  It can really show you what is ultimately important and what is not.
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 07:49:57 AM »
I've gotten a lot better with procrastination over the years. In High School I would put everything off which really affected me when I went to college (as in I failed my first semester). Eventually I learned to just do what I have to do and get it out of the way.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 07:56:07 AM »
I've gotten a lot better with procrastination over the years.

I've gotten a lot better at procrastinating too!

Oh you meant better at avoiding it. :(
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 06:47:20 AM »
Reviving this thread because I'm struggling with this again. & while I'm here, I think I should break down the issues in my mentality specifically just so I can maybe get a little better at sorting things out (& also so I have a reason to revive the thread).

> Justifying working on it now with something like "okay, you've got a lot of work to do, so you'd better get to doing it now" & then my reaction ends up being "I've got a lot of work to do? that sounds scary let's not do that". Writing it out like that makes me look like the biggest idiot ever, (& I mean you're not wrong) but every time I end up having a big project I need to complete, I fall into that trap of thinking.

> Trying to break it up into small parts & taking breaks in between, but then when I take a break I don't know how to motivate myself to come back to the task, so the document just ends up hanging around in another tab until I have to close the window & only then do I finally remember it.

> Being too ambitious with the project at hand so whenever I finally get around to doing it, I end up having to cut corners just to have something to show for myself

> Relying on my last-minute panic to get me through the task. I don't mean just failing to do it & then needing the panic to get it done, I mean that I feel like I've gotten to the point where I can't successfully finish the project because I'm not panicky enough & therefore I'm not motivated enough. It's kinda like an "all or nothing" sort of deal, or at least that's how I've always envisioned it.

> Feeling like I'm in either too good of a mood (& getting easily distracted because I'm not critical enough of myself at that time) or in too bad of a moon (where I can't get anything done because I'm too cynical to even know why I'm even doing the task in the first place) to get the work done.

> Hyping up how productive the day's going to be whenever I'm in a spot where I can't work on it (trying to sleep, at school, etc.) & then when I finally can work on it, I get nervous that I can't live up to that hype & then going to do something else just out of denial.

> Posting long threads on DTF instead of actually working on the assignment whoops

ok bye

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 07:13:30 AM »

This.  The journey of a thousand miles begins with but one step. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 07:18:02 AM »
I love procrastination.  It can really show you what is ultimately important and what is not.

There is truth in this.   I had a boss - one of the best bosses I've ever worked for - that would compartmentalize tasks.  There were a handful of people that, if they asked him, he would drop everything.   Then there was a handful (I think this was my group) that he would respond to, but in a prioritized manner.  Then there was the rest; if a request came in, more often than not, he would wait to see if a second request came in, or a follow up.  All the things that were asked once and never heard from again, almost never got addressed.  Now, he was senior enough (and the first bucket was powerful enough in the company) where this never hurt him; I don't know that I would suggest this to a junior team member.  But it did give me a fair amount of perspective on the relative merits of certain asks. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 07:22:43 AM »
I think I have issues with motivation moreseo than I do procrastination. After a day at the track with my RC trucks, I'll make all necessary repairs the following day, even if I'm not racing for another three weeks. But at my job, I'll have  four months lead time to do something and will often wait until the morning of to do it, simply because I'd prefer not to look at it. My brain is a serious dopamine hunter, and if an activity isn't delivering any, it's very hard to give my attention to it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 11:41:16 AM »
I keep telling myself I'll deal with it tomorrow.  :neverusethis:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »
I reason with myself that the misery of knowing there is something out there waiting on me is going to wreck the enjoyment of the time I bought by pushing it out.  So let's just get it over with.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 05:11:53 AM »
Update: It's currently 9PM on the day before my assignment is due & it's looking very unlikely that I'm going to get this done. I'm still working on it so I can at least get closer to the end, but at best I'll probably get it 80% finished by the time I have to hand it in (it's currently around 70% done). The weird thing is though, I haven't been lazy at all throughout the past week I've been working on it. Yeah, it took a LONG time to get started (2 months) but as of now, I've written over 9 pages of work & around 6000 words. At this point I feel like my issue isn't so much with procrastination, but more to do with (1) biting off more than I can chew with how I'm presenting my assignments & (2) not recognizing an assignment's importance when it isn't due in the following week. Idk, just thought I should mention that.

Edit: Okay, maybe saying I "wasn't lazy at all" is pushing it a LOT, but my point is that I've still done quite a bit despite my bad habits.

Edit 2: & another thing I wanted to bring up, I don't think that "panic reflex" (when you're at the last night before the thing's due & you're still working on it) is resonating with me anywhere near as strong as it used to. I used to get legitimate panic attacks & felt like I was going to die if I didn't get it finished, but now I'm just accepting that I'm not going to get it done & just letting it happen. Granted, panic attacks certainly aren't healthy, but I think it's kinda scary that the one thing I've relied on for so many years to get things done is now dissipating. I don't know how to feel about this.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:17:41 AM by IDontNotDoThings »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 06:17:18 PM »
I procrastinate all the time, it's terrible and I know I'm doing it.  I'm procrastinating right now at work being on DTF!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 05:11:03 AM »
I've been getting a little bit better about procrastination, I'm forcing myself to focus on things I need to do a little bit at a time.