3 (5.2%)
Chosen
1 (1.7%)
Begin Again
0 (0%)
Our New World
3 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: DTF Split-Screen Project Thread v. We have a pinboard! (no new title changes)  (Read 8182 times)

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
  • Find all you need in your mind...
Having different vocalists for different characters would be awesome.

Agreed.  :tup

I was actually thinking of bringing something like this up if an Astonishing song won. 'Specaially since we have 5 possible singers now, that's definitely going to be something to keep in mind when that happens.

Damn, now I really wish that an Astonishing song had made the cut.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Having different vocalists for different characters would be awesome.

Agreed.  :tup

I was actually thinking of bringing something like this up if an Astonishing song won. 'Specaially since we have 5 possible singers now, that's definitely going to be something to keep in mind when that happens.

Damn, now I really wish that an Astonishing song had made the cut.

To be fair, there weren't really that many good options. I'll be sure to add some more after we get our current songs out of the way.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
Maybe the title track would be a good one?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Yeah, I'd say so. I also had a list in the old thread of songs that I thought'd be fun to do. I'll post it here when I find it.

In order of preference:
A Life Left Behind
Three Days
Moment Of Betrayal
The Gift of Music
The Path That Divides
When Your Time Has Come

Also holy shit that was a year ago.  :omg:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 11:41:08 PM by IDontNotDoThings »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
I am up for playing anything.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Still though, I'm not too sure we should start planning too far ahead too soon, especially since we're already working on 2 songs right now. I'll happily discuss options after we get one of our current songs done, but until then I'm not going out of my way to plan anything.

(Also, sorry if that sounded passive-aggressive, I didn't mean it like that)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Hey, I'm sorry but I'm not going to be able to do keyboards for TROAE soon, next semester is going to be pretty busy again, I simply won't have the time. I really hope someone else is willing to do it, and that I might join for a song some other time :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

It's fine, I'll PM Darklord & see if he wants to do it.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Hey, guys! I'm up for The Root of all Evil. Count me in 100%.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Have you talked about who could make the video editing/audio mixing? If anyone has risen up to the challenge yet and you guys want, I could do it. I'm a music producer as my day job and I also do some video editing as well.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
I'm not sure how to go about my recording. I've merely a video camera and an iPod with decent enough mics

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Have you talked about who could make the video editing/audio mixing? If anyone has risen up to the challenge yet and you guys want, I could do it. I'm a music producer as my day job and I also do some video editing as well.

Audio mixing I was 99% sure you were going to do it, since that's what was going to happen in the first thread.

Video editing I offered to do it if no-one else wanted to, but I guess it'd make more sense if the audio mixer & the video editor were the same person.

I'm not sure how to go about my recording. I've merely a video camera and an iPod with decent enough mics

I'd suggest having the camera rolling with you in frame throughout all your takes, so then even the good parts of the unsuccessful ones can be used in the final mix.

The iPod I have is from 2010, so I don't know how good the quality is on modern iPods, but if it sounds good enough that you wouldn't notice it was recorded on an iPod, then I guess it should be fine (though of course actual mics are preferable).

This still applies too:
Recording standards:
Make sure your instrument  is at least somewhat professionally recorded with a decent mic & amp. Some lenience is allowed but remember that your instrument can't clash with the rest of the group too much. Also try to eliminate as much background noise as possible. For recording video, make sure you get an 16:9 camera that records at at least 30fps at at least a 360p video quality, but that's all I really have to say on that matter (aside from use a tripod & make sure you're in view). Just make sure it looks & sounds decent & you'll be fine.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Alright. Then it's done.

My e-mail address is lalocuramarine@hotmail.com. Y'all can send me a wetransfer with your audio files and your video files. I reckon we are playing to the album track, which would make everything much easier. Make sure you send me audio in .wav or other lossless formats, at least in 48KHz/16bit resolution.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
There is this Dropbox you can join :)

I'll be recording guitar digitally by the way. No amps or mics used. I'll record a video playing the song at a different time, so it'll essentially be a 'video-clip'. Should I do the guitar solo and the backing on separate tracks?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
There is this Dropbox you can join :)

I'll be recording guitar digitally by the way. No amps or mics used. I'll record a video playing the song at a different time, so it'll essentially be a 'video-clip'. Should I do the guitar solo and the backing on separate tracks?
Yeah, those as separate tracks would be great.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I think I can get the guitar done this week. I need to know what I'll be recording to (official song, a tempo track, etc.?). You'll all be getting audio first. I'm doing the video at a later stage once this really gets off the ground.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Can we just have a summary post of what has been done so far on either song?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

I think I can get the guitar done this week. I need to know what I'll be recording to (official song, a tempo track, etc.?). You'll all be getting audio first. I'm doing the video at a later stage once this really gets off the ground.

Can we just have a summary post of what has been done so far on either song?

Check the OP

Edit: Sorry, I thought that information was there but it actually wasn't. Basically we're starting out recording to the official song, but if that doesn't go well we'll shift to recording to a tempo track.

But yeah, most of the summary stuff is in the OP. Nothing's really been posted yet so it's hard to tell exactly how much progress people have made on it, but what I do know is in there.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:00:59 PM by IDontNotDoThings »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Just for my information; who is who in the Dropbox group?

I'm uploading some test versions of guitar tracks right now - basically the first half of the song until the keyboard break. Both clean-tracks and reamped tracks. Read the readme I'm posting in there as well.

--

Edit: it might actually be useful to have some sort of group (Facebook?) where we can discuss stuff for this project a little more directly than through the forums (if we're really doing it this time around, that is).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:17:18 AM by Elite »
Squ

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Just for my information; who is who in the Dropbox group?

Mosh (ZZ), Darklord_Lalinc (EM), NOMAC2107 (CS) & I (BR)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
So not even everyone who's playing on TROAE is in? That needs to change.
I want to make something out of this, hence the files you all received in the Dropbox-folder. Obviously everybody would need to be able to record their own stuff to even make this work, so I hope we can really take this off the ground.

What about a Facebook-group where we can chat more directly? (See my suggestion above)
Squ

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Hey, guys. The ROOT guitar files seem to be okay! I'm good to go with 'em. I'm recording my parts tomorrow.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Okay, that's good. That means I have the right stuff to record. As stated in the readme-file in Dropbox, I will re-record the guitar parts so that there won't be any mistakes or little deficiencies in sound. I might have time to do some of that this weekend, otherwise it will be next week.

I was thinking that if we have no drummer for TROAE, we could have a go with a VST drummer. I could program MIDI drums if needed, but ideally we would need a drummer for a full band cover.
Squ

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
If I was able to record the drums well, I'd be able to do it. Just not sure how to get a good enough clip

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Okay, that's good. That means I have the right stuff to record. As stated in the readme-file in Dropbox, I will re-record the guitar parts so that there won't be any mistakes or little deficiencies in sound. I might have time to do some of that this weekend, otherwise it will be next week.

I was thinking that if we have no drummer for TROAE, we could have a go with a VST drummer. I could program MIDI drums if needed, but ideally we would need a drummer for a full band cover.
I could get one right away.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
I'm actually pretty tight with a producer. I could potentially do a day with him and record TROAE kit and the Regression/SDV vocals. Just get a dry mix up and get some vids

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

I could get one right away.

Oh, that's pretty fantastic! I'm scheduling some time next week (likely Thursday and Friday) to record all guitar parts for the entire song. I think I'm going to double-track everything, but I might quad-track it if that's what we want. Obviously, the solos will be single tracks.
Squ

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Currently uploading my guitar parts to the drop box.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
What guitar parts?

Edit: oh wait; different song
Squ

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
Just posted some vocal for Regression, about to record SDV. Probably wrong though, since I'm tracking to the original and not the Dropbox file

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I like your voice, nice singing :tup

Hey, about this thing; since nobody is really making work of it. How are we going to continue doing this? As far as I know, we're definitely missing a drummer. I recorded some guitar parts for The Root, but these are not really that great, so I always intended to re-record them when the time comes to actually make something of it.

Can everybody in this project please give a yes or no about whether they want to continue? Maybe we need to plan something like a Skype-session where we can all see each other and have a chat about how to continue this, because clearly this isn't working through the forums and a Dropbox folder.

As for me, I still want to make something of this, but I'm not going to invest my time if others aren't going to either.
Squ

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Definitely a yes for me. As a sidenote, I might not be able to do bass for 1928/SDV because I need a 6-string bass for it (I only have a 4). I can definitely do TROAE but I just need to get a proper mic for me to use.

As for the skype group, again, I don't have a mic at the moment (or a skype account), but I'd be up for it once I do.

But yeah, I'm agreeing with you, we need something else to be done to make sure we're all focused, because it seems like a lot of us aren't (including myself).

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Definitely a yes for me. As a sidenote, I might not be able to do bass for 1928/SDV because I need a 6-string bass for it (I only have a 4). I can definitely do TROAE but I just need to get a proper mic for me to use.

Do you have a proper soundcard, so that you can record bass directly into your computer?
I recorded the Root guitar-parts this way and re-amped them through a digital modeling amp.
Squ

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Do you have a proper soundcard, so that you can record bass directly into your computer?
I recorded the Root guitar-parts this way and re-amped them through a digital modeling amp.

Actually I'm pretty sure I have a mixing desk lying somewhere around, I just need some of the cables to hook it up properly.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
yeah, that will take some figuring out to do. It's probably less than ideal, but honestly, so is recording with a mic if you a) don't really know how to and b) don't have the right equipment (mics and/or amps) to make it sound good anyway.
Squ