Author Topic: New Mike Mangini Interview  (Read 62775 times)

Online Schurftkut

Re: New Mike Mangini Interview
« Reply #385 on: December 14, 2016, 10:13:15 PM »
i think John needs to listen to Mullmuzzler 2, and hear that drumsound from Mangini, hear those melodies from James. It sounds much better, and james is singing well within his reach while still maintaining interesting melodies.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #386 on: December 14, 2016, 10:30:24 PM »
i think John needs to listen to Mullmuzzler 2, and hear that drumsound from Mangini, hear those melodies from James. It sounds much better, and james is singing well within his reach while still maintaining interesting melodies.

Interestingly, Mangini has said that that is the drum sound that captures how he hears his drums in the studio, with Elements of Persuasion as the amped up version.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #387 on: December 14, 2016, 10:44:14 PM »
To correct my previous comments, Mangini received writing credit on all but two songs on DT12 (False Awakening Suite and Along For the Ride).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 01:40:44 AM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #388 on: December 15, 2016, 12:33:14 AM »
The music for FAS and AFTR were specifically credited to JR/JP. All the others were to DT (except Enigma Machine, which excluded to JLB).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #389 on: December 15, 2016, 01:34:25 AM »
I don't think it's too hard to imagine how both things can be true at the same time.
For DT12 they will have had everybody in the room to work on stuff, but JP and JR will have brought in virtually complete song ideas that they then worked on. That caused them to be all included in the writing credits, but still an unsatisfactory situation for MM since the feel and meters etc had all been settled on beforehand.
For ADTOE and TA he will have gotten preprogrammed ToonTracks that constrained the situation even more. Then, he had the five days to lay down the 18 tracks.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #390 on: December 15, 2016, 03:11:57 AM »
Latest post by Mangini:

"I have an IMAGE of starting the tour in Roma... it is of a BEYOND believable plate of Spaghetti Vongole. Preparing for this tour is already making me very, very hungry."

:lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: December 15, 2016, 05:24:19 AM »
Surely he should have said he has an IMAGE of starting the tour and it is beyond WORDS.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #392 on: December 15, 2016, 09:04:25 AM »
Btw, different sub topic: MM is always adamant about not wanting to touch MP's fills, what's everybody's view on that? I frankly wouldn't mind him replacing stuff here and there occasionally.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #393 on: December 15, 2016, 09:12:16 AM »
Btw, different sub topic: MM is always adamant about not wanting to touch MP's fills, what's everybody's view on that? I frankly wouldn't mind him replacing stuff here and there occasionally.

He definitely changes up MP's fills in certain spots. What he typically does (and says when asked) is not change what he considers really important or recognizable fills in songs. He definitely changes other fills though. Not sure how exactly he determines which ones are okay to change and which ones aren't, but to answer your original question, yes, I wouldn't mind at all if he did more of that on MP-era songs.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #394 on: December 15, 2016, 09:22:14 AM »
Well, it's not entirely accurate:

"I honor the parts I feel that people want to hear and I amp up other things like slightly more 'metal' kick drum spurts and Bonham esc. swing to some grooves. Other than that, I will continue to lose my mind my way in fill sections like As I Am, but I won't change the main 'big' drum fill in Pull Me Under. I'll keep most main beats. The band guys need the music to sound a certain way, but prefer me to do my thing that got me the job in many places."

He has been changing things up since the second leg of the Along for the Ride tour and more noticeably in the 30th anniversary tour based on their Wacken show. That said, when they did The Astonishing shows with the encore, he immerdiately got this comment on FB:

"don't change the fills too much... not like I have any authority on this subject. lol but portnoys drum licks should be honored."

:rollin

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #395 on: December 15, 2016, 09:31:25 AM »
That quote sounds like "Don't change the fills, you messed up my air drumming.."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #396 on: December 15, 2016, 09:33:14 AM »
I've always been a big fan of "play it like it is".
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #397 on: December 15, 2016, 09:35:58 AM »
I don't know. If you listen to MP live recordings, he took tons of liberties with his own stuff. MM, I feel, should at the very least have the same leeway in doing so.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #398 on: December 15, 2016, 09:38:38 AM »
I don't know. If you listen to MP live recordings, he took tons of liberties with his own stuff. MM, I feel, should at the very least have the same leeway in doing so.

But when MP improvises or changes up his own parts, it still sounds like him (because it is him), and is still similar in style. Also for me it's more acceptable to change up your own part.
Any examples I can think of MM majorly changing up a drum part, it doesn't capture the spirit of the original part imo, and often bothers me. Plus certain parts should be respected.

I don't mind some changing up live, but in MM's case I'd rather he play them as close to the studio versions as possible.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:44:34 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #399 on: December 15, 2016, 09:45:24 AM »

Indeed. Portnoy has said multiple times that he isn't quite concerned on playing the same exact parts as they are on the album.

Mangini does change some stuff. For example, I love what he did on the LALP version of TROAE, those fills at the end with the nice melody by Jordan. However, he can't change too much parts or people will start complaining. Take the ending of Finally Free, for example. MP did a super cool, long solo at the end. When they played it live on the previous tour, it was pretty obvious that the band didn't want to play it that way, and that's why they changed it and went to a different arrangement for that section. Well... some people complained about MM not playing the drum solo, even said he isn't able to play it (which is ridiculous). I think that's why he always tries to be more respectful of the parts.

Edit: What he did on TSF was INSANE. He played the song much better than MP on the studio version, imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #400 on: December 15, 2016, 09:54:27 AM »
What he did on TSF was INSANE. He played the song much better than MP on the studio version, imo.

TSF on BtFW is the best example I can think of, of MM changing up sections or fills in a song. Made the song totally more enjoyable for me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #401 on: December 15, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »
What he did on TSF was INSANE.
Indeed.  That version rocks my face, and MM is a HUGE reason.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #402 on: December 15, 2016, 03:03:52 PM »
What he did on TSF was INSANE.
Indeed.  That version rocks my face, and MM is a HUGE reason.

To me, that's the best MM version of an MP song. Looks like Mangini really enjoys to play the heavier DT tunes.

Also, this was just uploaded a couple weeks ago. It's an interview with MM from the summer festivals they were playing in 2011, before ADTOE was released. He talks about his approach to writing songs and how he incorporates his style on DT's music. Really cool interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwqboZVBg6U
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #403 on: December 15, 2016, 03:31:39 PM »

He definitely changes up MP's fills in certain spots. What he typically does (and says when asked) is not change what he considers really important or recognizable fills in songs. He definitely changes other fills though. Not sure how exactly he determines which ones are okay to change and which ones aren't, but to answer your original question, yes, I wouldn't mind at all if he did more of that on MP-era songs.

I like MM's take on things.  Keep the important parts or the ones that people "air drum" to and switch up some others.  Best of both worlds. 

Offline pcs90

« Reply #404 on: December 17, 2016, 12:56:09 PM »
Yeah, MM does change up parts...just leaves the very recognizable ones alone. I'd say MP changed his own parts way more than MM though and I don't hear people complaining about that.
Honestly I'm glad when he switches things around just because it's something different. That goes for the whole band. If I want to hear a band play a song like the studio version, then I listen to the studio version. I have no interest in going to a concert to hear a band play everything exactly the same.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #405 on: December 17, 2016, 07:38:20 PM »
Yeah, MM does change up parts...just leaves the very recognizable ones alone. I'd say MP changed his own parts way more than MM though and I don't hear people complaining about that.

I agree. MP changed up his own parts way more than what MM has done to those same parts so far.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #406 on: December 17, 2016, 08:44:43 PM »

I agree. MP changed up his own parts way more than what MM has done to those same parts so far.

But is it way more than how MM has changed up his own parts?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #407 on: December 22, 2016, 08:49:16 AM »
MM just posted a video showing his preparation for a fill he's changing on Metropolis. I really love how this guy sees the music and interprets it in his own, unique way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_untx5IPPeA&feature=youtu.be

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #408 on: December 22, 2016, 09:02:12 AM »
Pretty cool, from the little bit I checked out.  Can't really digest it right now at work because I am kind of in the middle of something, and because I have to turn it up way loud to hear him speaking, which makes his drumming REALLY loud.  Will check it out later at home.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #409 on: December 22, 2016, 09:19:32 AM »
Pretty cool, from the little bit I checked out.  Can't really digest it right now at work because I am kind of in the middle of something, and because I have to turn it up way loud to hear him speaking, which makes his drumming REALLY loud.  Will check it out later at home.

Yes. I know he's very busy right now and this would take him more time and work, but he should start using his mic setup for the kit, as well as a vocal mic for these videos. Anyway, I'm really glad he's uploading some stuff. Many fans, including myself, have been asking him to record more videos playing DT songs. Playtrhoughs would be amazing.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #410 on: December 22, 2016, 09:32:18 AM »
MM just posted a video showing his preparation for a fill he's changing on Metropolis. I really love how this guy sees the music and interprets it in his own, unique way.

Jaw drops at the speed. Especially when he used the Wicked Pistons at 2:20. The visual seems to show simple and slow arm movements but its actually an illusion caused by the very very fast drum hits. :hefdaddy

Doesn't look like somebody who's quitting Dream Theater to me.

His last FB posts are also very encouraging:

"I'm focused on the 2017 tour. Let me just say that playing I, W & More is going to be fun. Really fun. focused |ˈfəʊkəst | (also focussed)"

"Between some fun drum practices and fun song learning, Christmas is so much fun ! Can't wait for snow on the trees, kids tearing open gifts, dressing up for church, food, food, food, everyone in their pajamas for days. Happy Hanukkah too ! I'm happy to come over for more food and gaming !"
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:40:14 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #411 on: December 22, 2016, 09:40:30 AM »

Jaw drops at the speed. Especially when he used the Wicked Pistons at 2:20. The visual seems to show simple and slow arm movements but its actually an illusion caused by the very very fast drum hits. :hefdaddy

Doesn't look like somebody who's quitting Dream Theater to me.

The guy is just astonishing  :lol :biggrin:

I agree, he looks very happy to add his own flavor to the songs. Like said earlier on the thread, that interview was probably just him on a bad day and then everything went to normal after a couple days. I still wish they include much more of his writing and rhytmic ideas on the next studio albums. They have one of the world's best drummers at their disposal, they should use his contributions on a bigger way.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #412 on: December 22, 2016, 12:49:48 PM »
I went to a Mangini drum clinic shortly after the 1st leg of the ADTOE tour wrapped up and he was prepping for the second.  I don't play drums so most of the stuff went right over my head but he was just so awesome to listen to speak and to watch play.  I would go again in a heartbeat. 

This video reminded me a lot of his clinic. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #413 on: December 22, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »
Glad he touched the 'that's why it looks like I'm not using any force at all in the DVDs' subject matter. I hope it shuts up some of the 'LOOK AT HIM HE DOESN'T PLAY WITH EMOTION OR FEELING PLS MP RETURN' folks that roam the internet.

He is incredible.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #414 on: December 23, 2016, 05:23:56 AM »
Random non-drummer question: he always talks about tightening his back and arm muscles to achieve certain things (like the double hit instead of a bouncer).
What's the usual consensus on that practice? I've never heard any drummer talk about doing that; is it because they can't, or don't feel it's necessary, or maybe even because it makes you prone to injury?

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #415 on: December 23, 2016, 05:47:41 AM »
Random non-drummer question: he always talks about tightening his back and arm muscles to achieve certain things (like the double hit instead of a bouncer).
What's the usual consensus on that practice? I've never heard any drummer talk about doing that; is it because they can't, or don't feel it's necessary, or maybe even because it makes you prone to injury?

Non-drummer here but i love the drums and love learning about them (hopefully getting mine one day). Some (many) drummers use their fingers, especially on faster speeds. Sometimes this (and improper technique in general) leads to tendonitis and other injuries. Mike doesn't use his fingers to achieve high speeds, he uses a different technique using his whole body to achieve power and speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Gxut0odyc
Here you can see how relaxed his fingers are, when the slow-motion camera captures his hits.
So this is why he points out his method, because many people believe that he achieves his speed using his fingers, while this is not the case.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #416 on: December 23, 2016, 08:21:31 AM »

It's not a usual technique because you need lots of practice to be able to control a "twitch" that allows you to play fast. However, Mangini has been saying that the technique is less prone to injury because you prioritize the use of the bigger muscles, that is, arm before wrist, wrist before fingers.

I think the technique is legit. Here's extreme metal drummer, Darren Cesca, who was Mangini's student.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s71ZzGdiWs8

Now that's somebody who can do a Mangini: open hand technique, ambidextrous playing, drum speed using the big muscles. I don't think Mangini can do Darren's foot speed after he gott a knee injury, but he is still pretty fast.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #417 on: December 23, 2016, 08:34:42 AM »

It's one of those things that makes him so phenomenal. Thanks for sharing the link.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #418 on: December 23, 2016, 09:03:58 AM »
Just in case you haven't watched it, one of the best Mike Mangni interviews.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Afu57XX0iDc

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #419 on: December 23, 2016, 11:16:52 AM »

It's one of those things that makes him so phenomenal. Thanks for sharing the link.

Indeed! It's really sad some people still don't appreciate his inmense talent and approach to the drums, and accuse him of being "a robotic drummer with no soul".