Author Topic: Where do you rank 90s Dream Theater all-time?  (Read 1609 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Where do you rank 90s Dream Theater all-time?
« on: November 25, 2016, 02:21:53 PM »
When looking at what bands had the best decades ever (and not cheating and picking an arbitrary 10-year period, but going with decades like the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc.), where would you put Dream Theater in the 90s?

It would definitely be in the greatest ever conversation for me along with:

60s Beatles
70s Pink Floyd
80s Rush
00s Porcupine Tree

And honestly, I could throw in a more bands for their 70s decade (Zeppelin, Genesis, etc.).

Offline thosava

Re: Where do you rank 90s Dream Theater all-time?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 02:29:29 PM »
70s Pink Floyd
80s Iron Maiden
90s Dream Theater
00s If i'm allowed to choose one band twice this would be a tie between Iron Maiden and Dream Theater
10s Haken (would be here even if they don't release anything more this decade)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 02:31:55 PM »
You can absolutely pick more than one band per decade.  It wasn't a matter of picking one per decade or anything, just which ones were your favorites. If they are all from the same decade, so be it.  :biggrin:

Offline Jester

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 03:02:34 PM »
Are we supposed to rank our top band per decade or are we supposed to give a yay or nay on whether DT is your top 90s band?  And if DT isn't your top 90s band, what band beats them and what place does DT fall in the 90s?

Or are we supposed to pick a favorite band from each decade and then face them off against each other?

I'm confused.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 03:18:48 PM by Jester »
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 03:03:18 PM »
Oops!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 03:14:36 PM »
70s Pink Floyd
80s Iron Maiden
90s Dream Theater
00s  Dream Theater...
10s Dream Theater...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 03:31:44 PM »
So technically, I'd have to group Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures with 80's Rush, huh? 

Top 5:
70's UFO
80's Iron Maiden
70's Alice Cooper
90's Dream Theater
80's Metallica

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jsbru

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 07:35:34 PM »
90s Dream Theater
10s Dream Theater
70s Yes
00s Radiohead
70s Pink Floyd
80s Metallica
90s Megadeth

In order.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline thosava

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 01:44:05 AM »
I wrote mine in order of decade a few posts ago, but if i'm gonna rank them in order of which i like best it has to be like this:

00s Iron Maiden (holds a special place as what i listened to almost exclusively from ages 5, when BNW was released, to at least 12)
90s Dream Theater
00s Dream Theater
10s Dream Theater
80s Iron Maiden
10s Haken
70s Pink Floyd

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 09:47:01 PM »
My favorites band through the decades

60's too young to listen to music

70's The Beatles, Kiss, Genesis, Boston, Harmonium, Heart, Supertramp, Styx, Rush

80's Rush, U2, Styx, Genesis, Boston, Harmonium,Marillion, David Bowie, John Mellencamp, Def Leppard, The Beatles

90's Rush, The Tragically Hip, Third eye blind, The Beatles, still lots of bands of the 70's

00's Rush, The Beatles, Dream Theater, Pearl Jam, many 70's bands

10's Rush, The Beatles, Dream Theater, Haken, Circus Maximus, The Neal Morse band and many rock bands and prog bands of the 70's

With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 08:14:53 AM »
1 band per decade? That's impossible!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 08:16:46 AM »
1 band per decade? That's impossible!

Good thing that's not what this thread is about, right?

Are we supposed to rank our top band per decade or are we supposed to give a yay or nay on whether DT is your top 90s band?  And if DT isn't your top 90s band, what band beats them and what place does DT fall in the 90s?

Or are we supposed to pick a favorite band from each decade and then face them off against each other?

I'm confused.

Re-read my first two posts in this thread. :)

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 09:13:50 AM »
70s - VDGG, Camel, ELP, Yes, King Crimson, Alice Cooper, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Gentle Giant, Frank Zappa, Pekka Pohjola, Renaissance, Focus, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Santana, The Who, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Genesis, Creedence, Rush, Spirogyra, Nick Drake, Samla Mammas Manna, Magma, etc.

80s - Iron Maiden, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, ....

90s - Strapping Young Lad, Cardiacs, Alice In Chains, Dream Theater, Naked City, Devil Doll, Anathema, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Béla Fleck & The Flecktones, King's X, Faith No More, Miriodor, Thought Industry, Iced Earth, etc.

00s - Opeth, Porcupine Tree, NeBeLNeST, Rammstein, Devin Townsend, Pain of Salvation, Ayreon, Guapo, Kayo Dot, Phideaux, Panzerpappa, Estradasphere, Stolen Babies, Symphony X, Riverside, etc.

Offline Jester

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 10:33:43 AM »
60s - Ali
70s - Foreman/Frasier
80s - Tyson
90s - Lewis / Dream Theater
00s - Klitschko
10s - MMA

Now ranked, Ali was more skilled than Lewis, but the evolution of the division just made Lewis too big for the HWs of the past.  However, Petrucci's Ibanez/Mesa 1-2 punch and the pre-Loudness recording haymaker might take them all out so ...

90s - Dream Theater D4D #1
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 12:39:39 PM »
When looking at what bands had the best decades ever (and not cheating and picking an arbitrary 10-year period, but going with decades like the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc.), where would you put Dream Theater in the 90s?

It would definitely be in the greatest ever conversation for me along with:

60s Beatles
70s Pink Floyd
80s Rush
00s Porcupine Tree

And honestly, I could throw in a more bands for their 70s decade (Zeppelin, Genesis, etc.).

Pretty high, overall, honestly. Images, Awake, and ACoS are all incredible releases. Love FII, and while 5DiaL doesnt showcase JLB all that nicely, it is still pretty cool. I am not as blown away with the shift that happened musically with SFAM, but objectively, you cant deny how it resonated with fans.

Out of all the metal bands that formed in the 80s, DT was one of the absolute highlights of the 90s.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 08:33:55 AM »
Interesting question. I've never really thought about music in a decade by decade sense, which I usually reserve for sports.

Dream Theater's 90s run was certainly amazing. In my opinion, three great albums and one very good one. They also wrote too many awesome songs to count.

Off the top of my head, I'd say they probably had the best 90s of anyone, but I might need to look into it further. Maybe Radiohead come close, but they didn't have a ton of quantity.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Jester

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »
Well, this seems to be a band in their primes (quantified by decade) comparison.  So I did some browsing through my library and came up with:

60s:  Beatles (easiest decade)
70s:  I could name so many bands here with so many different styles.  Genesis, Supertramp, ELO, Stevie Wonder, just an incredible decade
80s:  Van Halen (but Megadeth was really carving out a new genre)
90s:  Dream Theater - The run from IAW to SFAM is glorious
00s:  OSI (and Kevin Moore)
10s:  I'm still going through rotating favorites but Twelve Foot Ninja and Bring Me the Horizon are on a good trajectory

Dream Theater prime (90s) can hold its own against any other bands prime decade.  But this is a DT forum, so that's obviously extremely biased.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 11:49:39 PM »
My favorites band through the decades

60's The Beatles, The Stones, The WHO

70's Queen, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, The WHO, Angel, Aerosmith, Kansas, ELP, ELO, Genesis, Boston, Foreigner, Jethro Tull, Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd, Bad Co., AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, David Bowie, Deep Purple, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Heart, Judas Priest, The Kinks, Kiss, PM & Wings, Rainbow, Rod Stewart, Cheap trick, The Stones, Styx, Supertramp, Sweet, Thin Lizzy, Triumph, Chicago

80's Queen, Elton John, Aerosmith, Kansas, ELO, Genesis, Foreigner, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Rush, Yes, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, David Bowie, Heart, Judas Priest, The Kinks, Kiss, The Stones, Triumph, The Police, U2, Van Halen, Metallica, The Scorpions, Savatage, Queensryche, Ratt, Bon Jovi, Poison, Cinderella, Bryan Agams, REO Speedwagon, Billy Squire, Loverboy, Robert Plant, Motley Crue, New England, Ozzy, Pat Benatar, Journey, Marillion, Asia, Krokus, Iron Maiden, Jefferson Starship, GNR, Extreme, Cheap Trick, Def Leppard, The Cars, Bily Idol, Ultravox, Gary Numan, Giuffria, DIO

90's Dream Theater, Rush, Iron Maiden, Elton John, Aerosmith, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Yes, AC/DC, Billy Joel, Heart, U2, Van Halen, Metallica, The Scorpions, Savatage, Queensryche, Bon Jovi, Ozzy, GNR, Extreme, Def Leppard, Spocks Beard, The Black Crowes, Creed, Collective Soul, House of Lords, Joe Satriani, LTE, Symphony X, Kamelot, DIO

00's Dream Theater, Alter Bridge, Symphony X, Kamelot, Iron Maiden, Spocks Beard, AC/DC, The Answer, Bigelf, Buckcherry, Circus Maximus, Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Collective Soul, U2, The Darkness, Rush, Derek Sherinian, Disturbed, The Flower Kings, Halford, James LaBrie, Joe Satriani, Judas Priest, Muse, Pagans Mind, Porcupine Tree, Dreamscape, Redemption, Riverside, The Scorpions, Shadow Circus, Shinedown, Submersed, TSO, Velvet Revolver, Volbeat, Wolfmother, Metallica

10's Neal Morse, The Neal Morse band, Dream Theater, Alter Bridge, Flying Colors, Black Country Communion, Sixx A.M., Shinedown, Redemption, Haken, Circus Maximus, Symphony X, Kamelot, The Winery Dogs, Muse, Transatlantic, AC/DC, Bigelf, Collective Soul, The Darkness, Derek Sherinian, Disturbed, The Answer, Black Star Riders, Black Stone Cherry, Chickenfoot, Buckcherry, Riverside, The Flower kings, Halestorm, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Scorpion Child, Slash w Myles Kennedy, Spocks Beard

***If I had to pick ONE from each decade:
60's The Beatles
70's (tie) Queen & Elton John
80's (tie) Metallica & Van Halen
90's Dream Theater
00's Neal Morse
10's Alter Bridge

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 02:13:44 AM »
60's - Dylan.
Albums released in that decade :
- Bob Dylan,
- Freewheelin',
- Times They Are A-Changing
- Another Side
- Bringing It All Back
- Highway 61',
- Blonde on Blonde,
- John Wesley Harding,
- Nasville Skyline

70's - Bowie
- Man Who Sold the World
- Hunky Dory
- Ziggy Stardust
- Aladdin Sane
- Pin Up's
- Diamond Dogs,
- Young American's
- Station 2 Station
- Low
- heroes
- Lodger.

80's - Maiden.
- Iron Maiden
- Killers.
- Number of the Beast.
- Piece of Mind
- Powerslave
- Somewhere in Time
- Seventh Son.

90's - Pearl Jam.
- Ten
- Vs
- Vitalogy
- No Code
- Yield.

00's - Mew
- Half the World is Watching Me.
- Frengers.
- and the Glass Handed Kites.
- No More Stories.

10's - Dear Hunter.
Act 3 : Life and Death
The Color Spectrum
Migrant
Act 4 : Rebirth & Reprise.
Act 5 : Hymns with the Devil in Confessional.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:33:54 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 09:44:52 AM »
Not Sure What I am supposed to be ranking here, but here are some of my favs from the decades

60's - Beatles, Cream, Iron Butterfly, Leslie Gore

70's - Zep, Queen, The Good Rats, Kiss

80's - So many hair bands!!!!!!!       Crue, GnR, Priest

90's - DT (Awake is my fav), Alice in Chains, Garbage, Jewel,  No Doubt
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!