Author Topic: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)
« on: November 26, 2016, 11:05:36 AM »
You mean this trailer has been out two whole weeks and none of you nerds are excited about this???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BszXhUjJz00&feature=share

Please discuss. This looks awesome. From the director who gave us The Fifth Element (incidentally, T5E is inspired by the Valerian comics this movie is based on).
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 11:21:11 AM »
Yea I saw it, looks really epic!  :metal Since I love TFE and Luc Besson in general, I can't wait for this.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 04:11:08 PM »

Please discuss. This looks awesome. From the director who gave us The Fifth Element (incidentally, T5E is inspired by the Valerian comics this movie is based on).

Wasn't T5E based on one of sections of the original Heavy Metal movie? Or was that also based off of these comics as well?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 03:29:49 AM »
I was interested in Lucy because of Luc Besson but heard it was rubbish. I enjoyed it mostly. I might check this out.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 03:34:16 AM »
Read about the general plot and it seems this movie has a lot of potential. However, after things like Jupiter Ascending and the Star Wars prequels, I will wait for good reviews from people I trust before I go see it. For all the potential it has to be a great movie, it also has the same potential to be a bunch of visual noise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 06:31:38 AM »
For all the potential it has to be a great movie, it also has the same potential to be a bunch of visual noise.

I agree, this is the problem with a lot of recent movies. I'm all for visual delights and big effects, and I wouldn't want a movie made with the technology of 60 years ago, but... said technology has advanced. We've all seen the wonders of CGI. Sometimes I watch a movie and they start off right away with a big action or chase scene where you go through a lot of stunning visual sheningans and it's almost like the director is telling you "Look! look! do you see how awesome is that? can you believe it?"

...yes, I can believe it. I've seen the same thing in a movie two weeks ago. I know there's nothing that cannot be done by now. The main focus should be on the story, if the story is bad and the script is worse, even the most visually beautiful movie will bomb.

The story has to come before anything. Like in prog metal, I don't need to see someone shred like there's no tomorrow if the song itself is bad  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 08:03:47 AM »
Looks incredible, and I liked The Fifth Element quite a bit.  So I will probably be seeing this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 05:18:40 AM »
Looks fabulous, the same as the Ghost in the Shell trailer. Which'll probably mean the story is shit!  :lol
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....