Author Topic: Pantera  (Read 30658 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: Pantera
« Reply #315 on: August 15, 2023, 08:45:22 AM »
That's a cool story.  Phil was so drugged out in that era...

I am with you on Trendkill.  It's my favorite Pantera album too, and really the only one I revisit much anymore.  I love how dark and heavy that record is.

It also has some incredibly moody moments–"10s," "Floods," and "Suicide Note Pt 1." immediately come to mind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: August 15, 2023, 02:11:13 PM »
Easily my favourite album from them too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2023, 05:10:51 AM »
TGST is a difficult listen, and I mean that in a good way. The band, and Phil especially, were in a dark place at the time, and it really comes out in the music. It’s raw, uncomfortable, and off-putting at times. The band sounds desperate, unhinged, and constantly on the verge of breakdown, and it’s makes for what I consider to be their heaviest record by far.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #318 on: August 30, 2023, 03:41:09 AM »
I won't do a long text about how I don't like that tribute show that looks more like money withdrawal than a band.
Especially since anselmo did all he could to leave pantera.

TGST is the only pantera album I listen to, because it was the only one I had in the 90's...And I ffff love it, it's powerful, rich, hateful, groovy, and I always listen to it without any skip :)
I heard the other albums and tried to put cowboys on repeat but it's not as magic as first time I heard the trendkill
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #319 on: August 30, 2023, 12:44:52 PM »
i need to vent for a moment lol - i was listening to pantera, enjoying a little moment of nostalgia and rocking out. you know, just trying to relive some of the good ol days. then my eldest son douglas comes in and things take a turn. he starts going on about pantera's politics and their usage of the confederate flag, belittling me for listening to their music. i get it, everyone's entitled to their opinions, but come on, can't a guy just enjoy some music without it turning into a political debate???

back in my day, we didn't overanalyze every lyric and riff for political correctness. we just rocked out and had a good time. pantera's music spoke to me in a different way, and i wasn't thinking about their politics when i was headbanging to their tunes. it's frustrating how everything has to be so political these days. can't we just appreciate things for what they are without dissecting every little detail? i'm all for open discussions, but sometimes a person just wants to enjoy some music without it becoming a battleground of ideologies.

my son is passionate about his beliefs and that's fine. i respect that. i just wish he'd understand that sometimes music is just about the music, and not a platform for political debates. i don't want my son embarrassed by me for my music tastes - if i really wanted to be embarrassing to him i would have shouted "RE! SPECT! WALK!" at him like i was tempted to! :rollin

anyway, hope this band goes strong until phil walks past the cemetery gates, rest in peace dimebag :metal
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #320 on: August 30, 2023, 01:23:01 PM »
i need to vent for a moment lol - i was listening to pantera, enjoying a little moment of nostalgia and rocking out. you know, just trying to relive some of the good ol days. then my eldest son douglas comes in and things take a turn. he starts going on about pantera's politics and their usage of the confederate flag, belittling me for listening to their music. i get it, everyone's entitled to their opinions, but come on, can't a guy just enjoy some music without it turning into a political debate???

back in my day, we didn't overanalyze every lyric and riff for political correctness. we just rocked out and had a good time. pantera's music spoke to me in a different way, and i wasn't thinking about their politics when i was headbanging to their tunes. it's frustrating how everything has to be so political these days. can't we just appreciate things for what they are without dissecting every little detail? i'm all for open discussions, but sometimes a person just wants to enjoy some music without it becoming a battleground of ideologies.

my son is passionate about his beliefs and that's fine. i respect that. i just wish he'd understand that sometimes music is just about the music, and not a platform for political debates. i don't want my son embarrassed by me for my music tastes - if i really wanted to be embarrassing to him i would have shouted "RE! SPECT! WALK!" at him like i was tempted to! :rollin

anyway, hope this band goes strong until phil walks past the cemetery gates, rest in peace dimebag :metal

I'd relate that type of attitude to how certain people used to view music as being violent, tell him about how others felt regarding Metal being Satanic, and including messages.

I mean, Pantera isn't singing about these issues.

It's like when people stopped listening to Sinead O Connor for her controversial SNL performance. Imagine if he was a devout Christian and told you to stop listening to Sinead O Connor due to what she did.  :biggrin:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #321 on: August 30, 2023, 01:23:56 PM »

I'd relate that type of attitude to how certain people used to view music as being violent, tell him about how others felt regarding Metal being Satanic, and including messages.

I mean, Pantera isn't singing about these issues.

It's like when people stopped listening to Sinead O Connor for her controversial SNL performance. Imagine if he was a devout Christian and told you to stop listening to Sinead O Connor due to what she did.  :biggrin:

RIP Sinead O Conner, we shall miss her forever and always
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #322 on: September 02, 2023, 12:41:57 AM »
I spun TGST off the back of these comments and really enjoyed it. Been a looooong time since i heard it. Funny, really. When it came out I was disappointed by the change from the earlier albums (which I worshipped). Decades on, I barely listen to the Panties but this still sounds fresh and current. Nice!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #323 on: September 02, 2023, 11:43:36 PM »
I spun TGST off the back of these comments and really enjoyed it. Been a looooong time since i heard it. Funny, really. When it came out I was disappointed by the change from the earlier albums (which I worshipped). Decades on, I barely listen to the Panties but this still sounds fresh and current. Nice!

panties :lol :lol :lol :rollin :rollin :rollin :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: November 13, 2023, 08:55:29 AM »
PANTERA: Heavy Metal Icons Announce Second Leg Of North American Celebration Tour With Special Guest Lamb Of God

https://lotsofmuzik.com/pantera-heavy-metal-icons-announce-second-leg-of-north-american-celebration-tour-with-special-guest-lamb-of-god/

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #325 on: November 13, 2023, 09:04:49 AM »
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN!!! Time to figure out how to get in on tomorrow's presale!  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: November 13, 2023, 09:08:24 AM »
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN!!! Time to figure out how to get in on tomorrow's presale!  :metal

I plan on attending, but I'd be shocked if this show sold out so I may wait on getting tickets.  Good for them though, booked the world's most famous arena!  :metal

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #327 on: November 13, 2023, 09:52:06 AM »

For the fans.

For the brothers.

For legacy.

They forgot
For the money!!!
 :rollin
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: November 13, 2023, 09:53:37 AM »
 :lol no doubt

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: November 13, 2023, 09:57:17 AM »

For the fans.

For the brothers.

For legacy.

They forgot
For the money!!!

hahaha

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #330 on: November 13, 2023, 10:35:13 AM »
i asked ChatGPT to write an epic story about eating Panera while listening to Pantera:

In the bustling city of Melodia, where the streets hummed with the rhythm of life, there stood a Panera Bread that seemed to echo the harmony of the surrounding urban symphony. It was a crisp autumn day, and the aroma of freshly baked bread wafted through the air, drawing in hungry souls like a magnetic force.

Jack, a passionate music enthusiast with a penchant for heavy metal, found himself wandering into Panera with a hunger that matched the intensity of his favorite guitar riffs. The warm, inviting atmosphere enveloped him as he stepped through the door, and the lively chatter of fellow patrons created a vibrant backdrop.

As Jack approached the counter, the menu unfolded before him like a musical score, each item promising a unique culinary note. After much contemplation, he decided on a classic Turkey Avocado BLT on freshly baked sourdough, a choice that resonated with his taste buds. To accompany his sandwich, he opted for a hearty bowl of Broccoli Cheddar soup, the rich aroma tantalizing his senses.

With his order in hand, Jack sought out the perfect spot to savor his meal. He found a cozy corner near the window, where the golden rays of sunlight filtered through the autumn leaves outside. Setting up his temporary headquarters, he plugged in his headphones and queued up a playlist that would complement the flavors of his Panera feast.

The first crunchy bite of the Turkey Avocado BLT unleashed a symphony of textures – the crisp bacon, the creamy avocado, and the succulent turkey danced on Jack's taste buds like skilled musicians playing in harmony. Meanwhile, the Broccoli Cheddar soup warmed his insides like a melodic bass line, comforting and familiar.

As he savored each mouthful, Jack closed his eyes, allowing the music of Pantera to transport him to another realm. The thunderous guitar riffs and pounding drums of "Cowboys From Hell" resonated in his ears, syncing perfectly with the rhythmic joy of devouring his Panera delights. It was a fusion of culinary and auditory ecstasy that elevated the simple act of eating into an epic experience.

The other patrons glanced at Jack, intrigued by the spectacle of a lone diner lost in the world of metal and mouth-watering sandwiches. Unbeknownst to them, he had become the protagonist of his own gastronomic saga, a tale woven with the threads of music and flavor.

As the final notes of Pantera's "Walk" reverberated in his ears, Jack leaned back in his chair, a satisfied smile playing on his lips. The Panera Bread experience had become an epic journey of indulgence, a tale told through the marriage of delicious bites and headbanging rhythms. And in that moment, amid the aroma of fresh bread and the echoes of Pantera, Jack found himself grateful for the symphony of life that unfolded in unexpected places.

:metal :metal :metal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #331 on: November 13, 2023, 11:05:54 AM »
Indiscipline = ChatGPT confirmed. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #332 on: November 13, 2023, 01:56:40 PM »

For the fans.

For the brothers.

For legacy.

They forgot
For the money!!!

hahaha

I'd be compelled to laugh as well if it weren't so true. Fantastic cover band though
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #333 on: November 22, 2023, 08:35:04 PM »
Looks like Phil's getting more delusional, believing that if he keeps telling the lie, that it will become truth...  ::)

https://blabbermouth.net/news/philip-anselmo-on-panteras-return-i-know-for-a-damn-fact-vinnie-paul-and-dimebag-would-want-us-to-do-this

From what I've read, there's no way that Vinnie would have ever been cool with this without Dime, and even more so now that he's gone, too.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DTA

« Reply #334 on: November 23, 2023, 04:24:13 AM »
The songs are great and deserve to be played, two of the members are there, the fans are loving it…I fail to see why they shouldn’t keep touring as long as there’s a demand.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #335 on: November 23, 2023, 04:38:06 AM »
I think the main problem is that Pantera WERE Dime and Vinnie. In so many bands, members are replaceable and the band are still considered 'the band'. Look at Megadeth. Dave is Megadeth and for their fans the only irreplaceable member.

We can all list bands that would be over for us, if a certain member or members left. For the majority of the fanbase (although maybe I'm wildly off base) Dime and Vinnie are irreplaceable. Any version of the band without them is not Pantera. That is my personal view, and I suppose it is something people are vocal about because they are billing themselves as Pantera.

Call yourself a tribute to, or whatever, but to say this IS Pantera, feels disrespectful to Dime and Vinnie. As to whether Dime and Vinnie would be cool with it? Vinnie was very vocal over the years, stating there was no Pantera without Dime (and I agree). Dime was a lot more chill and was just always up for a good time, so I believe he'd actually probably be fine with it. It just seemed like the sort of person he was.

It unfortunately seems like a money making machine, and as much as I would like to see Pantera live, and this is the closest I'd ever get, I can't help thinking I'd be left feeling shortchanged.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #336 on: November 23, 2023, 05:37:43 AM »
While I largely agree with twosuitsluke, I think there is some flaw in our arguing.

When they do it mainly (only?) for the money, that means they are successful at what they are doing, which in turn means that the fans want to see this incarnation of the band.

But when the majority of the fanbase think Dime and Vinnie are irreplaceable, who are the ones going to the concerts?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #337 on: November 23, 2023, 05:52:53 AM »
Your right, my argument is flawed there, as the tickets are selling (which I find even more crazy, given the price), so fans clearly do want to see this.

I suppose the two things aren't mutually exclusive though. You can feel Dime and Vinnie are irreplaceable, yet still go see this Pantera tribute.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #338 on: November 23, 2023, 05:56:37 AM »
I suppose the two things aren't mutually exclusive though. You can feel Dime and Vinnie are irreplaceable, yet still go see this Pantera tribute.

Yeah, I think this is the case with most attendants, but it's still a bit hypocritical.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #339 on: November 23, 2023, 06:06:37 AM »
Oh, it totally is. I think the deciding factor being that Pantera WERE such a huge band, and there are generations of fans who never got to see them live.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #340 on: November 23, 2023, 06:40:26 AM »
What turned me off is that I don't get the sense it's being taken seriously as a fitting tribute to them.  Perhaps by Charlie, but like for Zakk, he didn't start learning the material until very shortly before they were going on tour, and from the live snippets I've watched it's clear he had no intention of honoring Dime's parts, he just plays the main riffs, some iconic parts, and then just wanks the solos and everything else the same as he does in every other project. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #341 on: November 23, 2023, 06:46:53 AM »
I don't have a dog in the Pantera fight, but if you (anyone) always have the choice to buy a ticket or not.
I've often started an OP about bands carrying on without key/original members, bands playing 35 y/o material exclusively...that sort of thing. I've always scrapped it because it comes down to consumer choice. It always does.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #342 on: November 23, 2023, 10:21:06 AM »
I don't have a dog in the Pantera fight, but if you (anyone) always have the choice to buy a ticket or not.
I've often started an OP about bands carrying on without key/original members, bands playing 35 y/o material exclusively...that sort of thing. I've always scrapped it because it comes down to consumer choice. It always does.

I likewise don't have a dog in the fight - aside from Cemetery Gates and perhaps one or two other songs, I have zero interest in the band's music. But being as big as they are, I've still followed their story. And I certainly don't have a problem with Phil and Rex going out with Charlie and Zakk, but twosuitsluke summed it up pretty well:

Call yourself a tribute to, or whatever, but to say this IS Pantera, feels disrespectful to Dime and Vinnie. As to whether Dime and Vinnie would be cool with it? Vinnie was very vocal over the years, stating there was no Pantera without Dime (and I agree). Dime was a lot more chill and was just always up for a good time, so I believe he'd actually probably be fine with it. It just seemed like the sort of person he was.

Given that Vinnie was hardcore against it and never stated otherwise (nor has his estate ever produced a written and signed document showing Vinnie would approve it in case he died), to go out as Pantera and especially to make the claims Phil has that this is what the brothers would want is a load of crap. If they truly cared about the legacy and it wasn't about the money, they could go out as something else, not unlike how the Dio-fronted version of Sabbath went out as Heaven and Hell for the last few years Dio was alive. Maybe wouldn't draw quite as big a crowd, but it would be a much more genuine and honest "tribute" to the band (lineup) that was so well loved. To do otherwise is completely disingenuous regardless of any claims to the contrary.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #343 on: November 23, 2023, 11:40:41 AM »
I think the main problem is that Pantera WERE Dime and Vinnie. In so many bands, members are replaceable and the band are still considered 'the band'. Look at Megadeth. Dave is Megadeth and for their fans the only irreplaceable member.

We can all list bands that would be over for us, if a certain member or members left. For the majority of the fanbase (although maybe I'm wildly off base) Dime and Vinnie are irreplaceable. Any version of the band without them is not Pantera. That is my personal view, and I suppose it is something people are vocal about because they are billing themselves as Pantera.

Call yourself a tribute to, or whatever, but to say this IS Pantera, feels disrespectful to Dime and Vinnie.
As to whether Dime and Vinnie would be cool with it? Vinnie was very vocal over the years, stating there was no Pantera without Dime (and I agree). Dime was a lot more chill and was just always up for a good time, so I believe he'd actually probably be fine with it. It just seemed like the sort of person he was.

It unfortunately seems like a money making machine, and as much as I would like to see Pantera live, and this is the closest I'd ever get, I can't help thinking I'd be left feeling shortchanged.

This is incredibly well said and sums up my thoughts exactly.

That said, I am obviously in the minority...people are paying to see 'Pantera,' so the masses have spoken and the demand is being met.

That said, I have no interest in seeing it.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #344 on: November 23, 2023, 12:19:46 PM »
What turned me off is that I don't get the sense it's being taken seriously as a fitting tribute to them.  Perhaps by Charlie, but like for Zakk, he didn't start learning the material until very shortly before they were going on tour, and from the live snippets I've watched it's clear he had no intention of honoring Dime's parts, he just plays the main riffs, some iconic parts, and then just wanks the solos and everything else the same as he does in every other project.

Yea, this is a good point, and possibly where some of my distaste stems from, and I'm a fan of Zakk Wylde.

Given that Vinnie was hardcore against it and never stated otherwise (nor has his estate ever produced a written and signed document showing Vinnie would approve it in case he died), to go out as Pantera and especially to make the claims Phil has that this is what the brothers would want is a load of crap. If they truly cared about the legacy and it wasn't about the money, they could go out as something else, not unlike how the Dio-fronted version of Sabbath went out as Heaven and Hell for the last few years Dio was alive. Maybe wouldn't draw quite as big a crowd, but it would be a much more genuine and honest "tribute" to the band (lineup) that was so well loved. To do otherwise is completely disingenuous regardless of any claims to the contrary.

I nearly mentioned Heaven in Hell in my post actually, as I agree that this would've been better. They could've billed themselves as Black Sabbath but I suppose it's slightly different as they were making new music. As unhappy as I am with "Pantera" bring back, I'd be even more pissed off if they tried to write a new album and claim it was Pantera.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #345 on: November 23, 2023, 12:29:10 PM »
I nearly mentioned Heaven in Hell in my post actually, as I agree that this would've been better. They could've billed themselves as Black Sabbath but I suppose it's slightly different as they were making new music. As unhappy as I am with "Pantera" bring back, I'd be even more pissed off if they tried to write a new album and claim it was Pantera.
Intially it was just to support a new compilation of the Dio-era of the band, wasn't it? Yeah, they recorded 3 new songs, but that's nothing significant. I think the fact that Tony specifically decided (in other words, was not forced to) change the name to differentiate between the Dio and Ozzy bands was very classy. Shame that Phil and Rex couldn't learn from them.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #346 on: November 23, 2023, 12:42:33 PM »
Intially it was just to support a new compilation of the Dio-era of the band, wasn't it? Yeah, they recorded 3 new songs, but that's nothing significant. I think the fact that Tony specifically decided (in other words, was not forced to) change the name to differentiate between the Dio and Ozzy bands was very classy. Shame that Phil and Rex couldn't learn from them.

Yea, I think you're right actually, but they went on to record an album of new material under the new name.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #347 on: November 23, 2023, 03:13:59 PM »
I am just upset they didn't even bother to play Cemetery Gates .
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: November 23, 2023, 03:41:15 PM »

Don't think Phil would stand a chance singing this one anymore.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #349 on: November 23, 2023, 03:44:02 PM »

Don't think Phil would stand a chance singing this one anymore.

Yea that's my guess too.