Author Topic: Pantera  (Read 30627 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: Pantera
« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2022, 08:34:37 AM »
I have mixed feelings about it. I saw that the other day and while Phil was the voice of the band and really love Rex's playing, it really can't be Pantera without the brothers. It is going to be some tribute band. Either way I don't even know what shape Phil's voice is right now and if the shows will do the band name justice.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings as well. That said, I'm pretty shocked this hasn't already happened, and I take comfort in knowing that it's (presumably) being done with the best of intentions. My final judgement will likely come down to how they bill it: as long as it's clearly a celebration, I'll be good with it.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2022, 08:42:12 AM »
I have mixed feelings about it. I saw that the other day and while Phil was the voice of the band and really love Rex's playing, it really can't be Pantera without the brothers. It is going to be some tribute band. Either way I don't even know what shape Phil's voice is right now and if the shows will do the band name justice.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings as well. That said, I'm pretty shocked this hasn't already happened, and I take comfort in knowing that it's (presumably) being done with the best of intentions. My final judgement will likely come down to how they bill it: as long as it's clearly a celebration, I'll be good with it.

If they get Zakk Wylde on guitar and either Charlie Benante or Mike Portnoy on drums (preferably Charlie for this one), all of who were friends of the Abbott brothers, it would definitely make me feel much better about it as it would clearly be a tribute to the two of them.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2022, 09:57:39 AM »
I'm intrigued by the reunion.  I saw Pantera three times (1997-twice, 2001) and loved each show.  I don't think a reunion tour will be able to match the ferocity of the classic lineup but I do think they can be respectful of the band's legacy and give younger fans a taste of what it used to be like to see them live.  Nothing will compare to seeing them at the Aragon ballroom in 1997.  The crowd was raging and the band was on fire...it just made your hair stand up on end to be in the room with all of that energy. 

Zakk and Charlie are great choices, if that's who it turns out to be, both for their talents and their friendship with the band.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2022, 10:07:41 AM »
I'd check it out.  I've never seen them before and while it won't be the same, it's something for people like myself to get to experience.  It seems they might be advertising this as a celebration of Pantera and not a formation of a new Pantera band so I think that's pretty cool.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2022, 10:27:53 AM »
I REALLY don't like Anselmo (nothing to do with his offstage stuff, or the IMO ridiculous assertions that he had any apportionment of blame for Dime's death) so there's that, and Rex Brown has always been perplexing to me, but I'd go see a party with Zakk Wylde and Charlie Benante if it was the right venue (Irving Plaza?). 

I find the dialogue around all this fascinating, though. I don't mean here, I mean in the Blabbermouth article, and in the comments.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2022, 10:33:45 AM »
Rex Brown has always been perplexing to me.

Rex Brown is one of the most underrated bass players in metal. His playing is super tight and always locked in with the drums and guitar. He also has one of the best bass tones I’ve heard from someone who plays with a pick, second only to Justin Chancellor from Tool.

As far as my opinion of him as a person, well he seems to follow the bass player trend of keeping quiet, doing his job, and avoiding controversy. Maybe he could be called out for continuing to work with Phil, but that’s controversy adjacent and shouldn’t be a direct knock on Rex.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Deathless

« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2022, 10:35:30 AM »
Some of the dialogue around this being a cash-grab is interesting. Pantera is no doubt still a big name in metal/rock circles, but unless they are paired with another high-profile band this tour would do what, large clubs and maybe theaters here in the states? Obviously if a package is put together for sheds it would include multiple bands.

I've seen people mention arenas and stadiums and I doubt that would happen unless other large bands (Like the Megadeth/LoG/Trivium tour) were brought together. We'll see.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: July 14, 2022, 10:42:08 AM »
if it was the right venue (Irving Plaza?). 

Irving Plaza would be too small for this IMO.  But yeah, similar type of venue.  It would need to be a big GA pit spot.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: July 14, 2022, 12:14:23 PM »
Some of the dialogue around this being a cash-grab is interesting. Pantera is no doubt still a big name in metal/rock circles, but unless they are paired with another high-profile band this tour would do what, large clubs and maybe theaters here in the states? Obviously if a package is put together for sheds it would include multiple bands.

I've seen people mention arenas and stadiums and I doubt that would happen unless other large bands (Like the Megadeth/LoG/Trivium tour) were brought together. We'll see.

AND

if it was the right venue (Irving Plaza?). 

Irving Plaza would be too small for this IMO.  But yeah, similar type of venue.  It would need to be a big GA pit spot.

I'm admittedly out of touch with the Pantera fan base.  I know they have, what, four platinum albums, but I never thought of them as an arena headline act (forget about stadiums). 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: July 14, 2022, 12:21:48 PM »
I could see them being pretty big for this tour, but it's also kind of hard to tell because it's been so long and even some of the fan base is pushing back on this.  Irving Plaza ia 1k capacity.  I think that's too small.  But something like Hammerstein Ballroom at 2.2k may be possible.  I could see them pushing this to bigger venues too, but I don't know what data the promoters are using to calculate potential draw.  It won't be small, but I'm hesitant to think it will be arena big.  It could be though.  One article did say it was not LiveNation booking the tour which makes me think it won't be summer amphitheaters.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #185 on: July 14, 2022, 01:24:14 PM »
The idea that this could be a cash grab is kind of insane.  This is the lowest the level of interest in Pantera has ever been.  Phil's behavior over the years and the shift in tastes has alienated a sizeable percentage of their potential fanbase, whereas in the 90s they were close to the biggest metal band on the planet.  They really should have done it with Zakk Wylde when Vinnie was still alive (except that all I heard was that Vinnie wanted no part of it).  Without the Abbotts this is just a tribute band.  I'm sure they'll still sell a decent number of tickets, but nothing like it would have been if this happened 10-15 years ago. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #186 on: July 14, 2022, 01:52:46 PM »
Any rumors as to who will play with them?

Mostly curious here, I wasn't much a fan when they were active, so a "reunion" tour is a pretty big yawn for me

Offline Deathless

« Reply #187 on: July 14, 2022, 02:06:48 PM »

Mostly curious here, I wasn't much a fan when they were active, so a "reunion" tour is a pretty big yawn for me

The long-running (then disputed, and now favorite again) on guitar is Zakk Wylde. The same source from blabbermouth is stating Charlie Benante on drums.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #188 on: July 14, 2022, 02:30:34 PM »
In terms of what venues this kind of show would do in Southern California, I say probably the Anaheim House of Blues (2,000 people, all GA).  Hollywood Palladium (which has around 4,000 people standing GA, I think) would be quite a stretch.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2022, 04:56:59 PM »
I'm not really into this idea at all hey.  Just feels wrong.  Although, I honestly think Zak would be the only guy I'd have on guitar to change my mind and make it somewhat okay.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #190 on: July 14, 2022, 05:21:51 PM »
Looking at setlist.fm, it confirmed what I thought, they were pretty much nothing but an arena and amphitheater band. Nothing but big arena's and outdoor venues. Not sure this would pull that, but who knows. Yes, the brothers aren't there but the voice is and from what I have heard recently, Phil sounds pretty good.

I do wonder if Phil and Rex can tour under the name. I would venture a guess that the brothers wives or something like that might own the trademark. Not really sure how that all played out. I could see a lawsuit or cease and desist story coming out if this is verified.

Anyway, with all of these other bands out there touring with members you can't even name, the fact that they have 2 and one is the voice, I don't buy the "it's not Pantera" argument. I could name so many bands right now and use that same argument based on the criteria of the Abbott's not being there.

I never had the chance to see them. I would consider seeing this especially if Zakk and Charlie were involved.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2022, 06:34:50 PM »

The long-running (then disputed, and now favorite again) on guitar is Zakk Wylde. The same source from blabbermouth is stating Charlie Benante on drums.

Both, Zakk and Charlie confirmed

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/news/zakk-wylde-and-charlie-benante-to-tour-with-panteras-surviving-members/

Offline Grappler

« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2022, 06:35:58 PM »
Also a neat little blurb buried in the article:

According to Billboard, the lineup has been given a green light by the estates of the band's founders, drummer Vincent "Vinnie Paul" Abbott and guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, as well as Brown, who last year said Wylde wouldn't tour with PANTERA if a reunion were to happen. It's unclear what changed his mind.

It's nice to see that it was cleared with Dime and Vinnie's estates - hopefully that begs off some of the complainers.  It's not the same without them, but it's good to have their blessing in a way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2022, 06:37:46 PM »
I do wonder if Phil and Rex can tour under the name. I would venture a guess that the brothers wives or something like that might own the trademark. Not really sure how that all played out. I could see a lawsuit or cease and desist story coming out if this is verified.

Anyway, with all of these other bands out there touring with members you can't even name, the fact that they have 2 and one is the voice, I don't buy the "it's not Pantera" argument. I could name so many bands right now and use that same argument based on the criteria of the Abbott's not being there.

I have to imagine that everyone associated with the band gave the blessings to do this.  I could be wrong.  Also, I agree on the second point.  I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd last summer without a single original member.  It's really not that odd.  However, the timespan between now and their last show is likely the reason people are pushing back.  That part is not quite normal in the general sense, but also, we've seen reunions happen after long periods of time that doesn't include all members. 

Offline Grappler

« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2022, 06:41:56 PM »
Looking at setlist.fm, it confirmed what I thought, they were pretty much nothing but an arena and amphitheater band. Nothing but big arena's and outdoor venues. Not sure this would pull that, but who knows. Yes, the brothers aren't there but the voice is and from what I have heard recently, Phil sounds pretty good.

They headlined a lot of smaller arenas - they played the Rosemont Horizon/Allstate Arena here in Chicago a lot in the 90's, and I saw them in 2001 at the UIC Pavillion (seeing Morbid Angel open for them and play in an arena was really weird).  They can definitely do the same size venues - 10,000 seaters, especially if they get a really great opening band.  Megadeth/Slayer/Testament played at the UIC Pavillion in 2010 and that show was pretty full.  Pantera are certainly among that same caliber of band.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #195 on: July 15, 2022, 12:54:40 PM »
Ehhh....put me in the 'this isn't Pantera' camp. There simply is no Pantera without Dime or Vinny. This will be a Pantera cover band....probably sound decent and all that....but I personally think touring as 'Pantera' is just a money grab. Tour as "pick a name" and call it a tribute band and be done with it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: July 15, 2022, 01:20:12 PM »
Ehhh....put me in the 'this isn't Pantera' camp. There simply is no Pantera without Dime or Vinny. This will be a Pantera cover band....probably sound decent and all that....but I personally think touring as 'Pantera' is just a money grab. Tour as "pick a name" and call it a tribute band and be done with it.

I respect your opinion Gary, but I've sort of come to the conclusion that that ship has sailed as a general concept.  If Floyd can be without Roger Waters, if Dream Theater can be without Mike Portnoy, I think there really isn't an "indispensible member" with one exception.  There is really only one band for whom there are truly indispensable members (and I'm not talking about simply "having ownership of the name"):  The Beatles.  I was going to put Rush in there, but a) they existed before Neil joined, and b) I don't think the window has passed for which we see something - even if it's a one-off - for Rush with another drummer.  We will NEVER see the Beatles as an entity again.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #197 on: July 15, 2022, 01:22:24 PM »
I agree. I just can't get on board with this. Put it this way, if Dime and Vinnie were still alive, and I could see a reunion tour featuring only half the classic line up, it wouldn't be Phil and Rex I'd want.

Dime and Vinnie were the heart of the band as far as I'm concerned.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #198 on: July 15, 2022, 01:30:04 PM »
From what I understand,  one of the estates of the brothers had to say yes to get majority love. The band is penning it as "A celebration of Pantera music."

So if it is a one off I get it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Deathless

« Reply #199 on: July 15, 2022, 01:33:35 PM »
From what I understand,  one of the estates of the brothers had to say yes to get majority love. The band is penning it as "A celebration of Pantera music."

So if it is a one off I get it.

I suspect it will just be one "tour" but as usual these things will span multiple years. The billboard article mentioned the band playing multiple US and European festivals with other dates added.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: July 15, 2022, 01:36:31 PM »
1 and done should include multiple countries if it is true.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2022, 01:37:42 PM »

Yeah, I shouldn't even comment 'cause I'm not that big of a Pantera fan, but I know them enough to know about the importance of the Abbott brothers. It feels weird to see the band name used again.

With due respect and given the obvious proportions, could Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr tour as The Beatles? the other two guys are dead....

Even Queen called themselves "Queen +" whoever was with them...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #202 on: July 15, 2022, 01:46:29 PM »

I respect your opinion Gary, but I've sort of come to the conclusion that that ship has sailed as a general concept.  If Floyd can be without Roger Waters, if Dream Theater can be without Mike Portnoy, I think there really isn't an "indispensible member" with one exception.  There is really only one band for whom there are truly indispensable members (and I'm not talking about simply "having ownership of the name"):  The Beatles.  I was going to put Rush in there, but a) they existed before Neil joined, and b) I don't think the window has passed for which we see something - even if it's a one-off - for Rush with another drummer.  We will NEVER see the Beatles as an entity again.

I get that sentiment....BUT....as others have mentioned....Dime and Vinnie made up the sound of Pantera....and while there are certainly guys who can play their parts it's just not the same at all. But I do understand this isn't the first or last instance of a broken up band or band with dead members that will tour as 'THE' band. But, like in all those instances....to me....it feels cheap. This one even more given the two most vital members aren't participating. 

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: July 15, 2022, 01:59:07 PM »
Eddie Trunk just said on his Sirius Satellite show that Charlie Benante texted him and said this is a tribute tour, not a reunion tour.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2022, 02:06:43 PM »
Eddie Trunk just said on his Sirius Satellite show that Charlie Benante texted him and said this is a tribute tour, not a reunion tour.

I feel like part of how well-received it'll be will depend upon the marketing veneer.  If it's billed as "a tribute to Pantera" or such it'll be easier to go down, but promoters are going to want that big Pantera logo on top of their festival and show lineups, even if their stock has plummeted compared to the 90s. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2022, 02:21:25 PM »
So Have a big banner saying Pantera for this one tour cycle.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2022, 02:56:09 PM »

I get that sentiment....BUT....as others have mentioned....Dime and Vinnie made up the sound of Pantera....and while there are certainly guys who can play their parts it's just not the same at all. But I do understand this isn't the first or last instance of a broken up band or band with dead members that will tour as 'THE' band. But, like in all those instances....to me....it feels cheap. This one even more given the two most vital members aren't participating.

Well, if it doesn't work for you that's entirely fine; I certainly share that. I'm out on Yes without Jon Anderson OR Chris Squire at this point and I have certain eras of some bands that I ignore completely because certain people aren't in there (cough, Rob Halford, cough; Asia without the four original guys). 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2022, 03:35:46 PM »
Pantera is one of two bands I love that I missed out on seeing live before they disbanded/retired, the other one being Rush. If this is closest I can get to seeing them, I’ll take it.

-MirrorMask

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2022, 03:59:22 PM »
I never saw them in their prime, so I'd go to a show, providing Phil is sober and 'singing' well  :metal

Offline The Realm

« Reply #209 on: July 15, 2022, 08:06:08 PM »
I saw Pantera live a few times in their prime and it was always a great show. In the 90s they were one of my favourite bands but I rarely or at all listen to them these days. I’m not against this tour and I would even consider going to see it.