Author Topic: Pantera  (Read 29743 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Pantera
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2015, 08:18:36 AM »
Here's a cool concert with Rex, Vinnie and Dime playing together for the last time on New Years Eve 2001.

https://youtu.be/luOswaDhwO8

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2015, 01:56:05 PM »
Awesome! Gonna have to watch this in full soon.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Calvin6s

« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »
Loved Pantera ever since I first heard Cowboys from Hell.  For some reason, I never went to one of their concerts.  Probably because of the stories of out of control mosh pits of which I am not a fan.

I did however get to see *Diamond* Darrell close up at The Palace, Hollywood, CA (a small club) on January 13, 1993 at the 2nd Annual Randy Rhoads Benefit concert.  He stole the show, and that ain't easy when the night included Jens Johannsen, Jake E. Lee, Tony MacAlpine, Adrian Vandenberg, John Norum, Phantom Blue, Blues Saraceno, Alex Skolnick, Mark Wood, Randy Coven and Dee Snider's Widowmaker.

Been looking for these 1st, 2nd and 3rd Randy Rhoads Benefit concerts on video or audio for years.  Good times.

Calvin6s

« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2015, 02:26:06 PM »
Forgot to share one of the few pictures I've found from that benefit night

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2015, 02:57:33 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2015, 06:38:49 AM »
1. Cowboys From Hell
2. Power Metal
3. The rest

CFH is an amazing, amazing album. So is Power Metal. After CFH the band got progressively worse, more and more heavy and less and less interesting. Which is a shame because even their bad albums have classic songs like Floods.

Offline Art

« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2015, 07:06:07 AM »
1 - TGSTK
2 - Vulgar Display of Power
3 - Far Beyond Driven
4 - Cowboys From Hell
5 - Reiventing the Steel

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2015, 07:15:26 AM »
1. Cowboys From Hell
2. Power Metal
3. The rest

CFH is an amazing, amazing album. So is Power Metal. After CFH the band got progressively worse, more and more heavy and less and less interesting. Which is a shame because even their bad albums have classic songs like Floods.

Except that Floods wasn't on a bad album. ;)

Since we're playing the ranking game (yay!) now, I'd say-

1. Cowboys from Hell
2. Vulgar Display of Power
3. The Great Southern Trendkill
4. Reinventing the Steel

5. Far Beyond Driven

If I was including Power Metal, I'd probably rank it 5th.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2015, 03:48:05 PM »
I absolutely worshipped FBD as a teenager, which means that is by default my favourite of theirs.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2015, 02:10:23 AM »
Ah, Pantera  :heart

Fun fact: I have FBD on vinyl with the original art. Such an awesome cover. I really dig that album but not my favorite. Not sure how I'd rank them.

A couple of months ago I did this event where you read embarrassing stuff out of your teenage diaries in front of a crowd, and my one diary with a Pantera sticker on it had an entry about how I was so upset because my brother and his friends got to see Pantera and Black Sabbath without me, and it JUST WASN'T FAIR  :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2015, 03:34:37 AM »
Too bad they fall apart after RTS, wonder where would they go after that one. But it probably saved Anselmos life, drug abuse would probably kill him if they continued, Dime˙s death gave him that cold shot he needed to get clean, atleast i think. Too bad that was the way it had to go down. My favourite album is FBD, but all are really close, with stuff like Floods, The Sleep, Revolution is my name, Regular people, you can`t go  wrong. And Power metal, remaster would do wonders to that album
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2018, 01:33:44 AM »
*BUMP*
So I've started listening to the classic albums again and I'm still in awe of how amazing they are.
I bought CFH back in the day and loved it to death, but somehow found the cover of VDOP too offputting to really buy it!  :facepalm:
So I bought FBD the day it came out (the VINYL version!!) and loved it, but also wondered what happened to Phil's range man. He uses his lower range mostly and the growling. Then they just got even heavier on STK and RTS.
All the drama when Daryl passed sort of passed me by because of the shock.  Vinnie should just let bygones be bygones and forgive Phil man, life is too short.
No matter what anyone says I will always love Phil's voice, his work with Down is just outerworldly and his latest with the Illegals? BRUTAL!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2018, 06:05:45 AM »
Phil has GOT to have the "most changed vocal style/range" in the history of recorded music.
From Power Metal to Reinventing the Steel, it does kind of follow where he was at with his health and drugging.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2018, 12:44:00 PM »
For me:

Vulgar
Cowboys
Steel
Power Metal

>>>Not as big on the rest. Appreciate what they were going for on all other records, but really, if you made me do it, Vulgar and Cowboys are the only Pantera albums I listen to regularly.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2018, 03:16:04 PM »
I'd probably rank:

Vulgar Display of Power (just the complete package, not a bad song on there!)

Cowboys From Hell (just amazing, there's a bit of filler on there but it's just astounding and where they really started to hit their stride)

Far Beyond Driven (just brutal, dark and kinda disturbing. They just did not give a fuck about playing it safe, this was a statement and has some of the best individual songs they ever wrote!)

The Great Southern Trendkill (further brutality and features probably the best solo/outro combo that they ever wrote.....Floods)

Reinventing the Steel (their crown started to slip here, in my opinion, Yesterday Don't Mean Shit is where it's at though  :metal)

Power Metal (well yeah, it's not even really the same band. It's not unlistenable though)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2018, 12:00:32 AM »
My ranking is the same:

Vulgar Display Of Power
Cowboys From Hell
Far Beyond Driven

those three are my go to records

The Great Southern Trendkill
Reinventing The Steel

not bad, but not as good as the first three

And I've never heard their 80s records.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2018, 01:47:35 AM »
Watched some parts from "Watch it go" a documentary directed by Dimebag about the craziness that went on on- and offstage....good god! It goes on and on....  :mehlin
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2018, 01:55:46 AM »
I’m probably the only person ever who thinks The Great Southern Trendkill is far and away their best.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2018, 03:31:32 AM »
It's definitely up there. The only thing that stops it from being that popular is the is the constant screaming Phil does. A little more melodic vocal lines wouldn't have hurt.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2018, 08:03:09 AM »
It's definitely up there. The only thing that stops it from being that popular is the is the constant screaming Phil does. A little more melodic vocal lines wouldn't have hurt.

It would have been top 3 for me without Phil screaming.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2018, 12:24:51 AM »
I've got a confession to make, I like Pantera, I like groove metal, but I know 10% of their songs !
Sounds so stupid even to me.

Around 1998 I discovered the great southern trendkill and listened to it 300 times since then, at least.
I heard older hits over time like walk, cemetary gates, cowboys...I like them but in the meantime it sounds "cute" to me compared to what I listened to meanwhile (and even to TGST).

When I try to browse the old albums the sound cuts my motivation :( (tho I like the guitar sound).

I don't know far beyond and reinventing the steel.
Maybe I fear to be disappointed ^^

So, even if my situation is a little strange, to me Pantera is legendary and shaped part of Metal and of guitar playing !
And there are not many qualified followers continuing what they did.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2018, 04:14:32 AM »
Not that strange. I love Pantera, but don't profess to know all or most of their songs as well. Far Beyond Driven was hit or miss to me. Loved Strength Beyond Strength, Broken, Becoming, 5 minutes alone and shedding skin, but beyond that? Detested Good friends and a bottle of pills, hard lines and sunken cheeks and didn't know what to make of 25 years, although I thought that's a pretty good song. Great Southern Trendkill is the same. Know perhaps 30% of that album, like the title track, Floods, Suicide note #2, but the rest?
Don't even ask me about Reinventing the Steel.

The cool part of this band is that they knew how to surprise you. Deep cuts on Cowboys and Vulgar like The Sleep, Primal concrete sledge, Psycho holiday, Hollow, F#$$%%% hostile, surprised the shit out of me. Tracks like No good or Rise? What the hell? So don't feel bad about not knowing all their songs. There's even more to explore for ya!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2018, 07:08:50 AM »
The cool part of this band is that they knew how to surprise you. Deep cuts on Cowboys and Vulgar like The Sleep, Primal concrete sledge, Psycho holiday, Hollow, F#$$%%% hostile, surprised the shit out of me. Tracks like No good or Rise? What the hell? So don't feel bad about not knowing all their songs. There's even more to explore for ya!

One thing that Fucking Hostile is not is a deep cut.   :lol   That song is a fan favorite and was always played on each subsequent tour.  I'd argue that Primal Concrete Sledge isn't a deep cut either, though it rarely was played on later tours.

My ranking:

Vulgar Display of Power
Cowboys From Hell
Far Beyond Driven
The Great Southern Trendkill
Power Metal
Reinventing the Steel
The rest....

Offline dparrott

« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2018, 04:22:14 PM »
I’m probably the only person ever who thinks The Great Southern Trendkill is far and away their best.

Nope!  I love it too.  I don't mind the screaming because there are mellower breaks in the album.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »
I'm listening to a lot of Pantera recently it's so awesome :D I didn't hear their 80s albums or Far Beyond Driven yet (besides 3 songs maybe)

1. TGST really works great as a whole album and I seriously wasn't prepared for the transition between Suicide Note pt 1 and pt 2 lol

2. CFH this is the first Pantera album I heard and I really love every song there Domination is super awesome and so is Shattered

3. VDoP it sounded like such a different band after I heard Cowboys, even more than hearing Load after the prior albums Metallica recorded, probably because of Phil's voice he didn't really have those shrieks here. I still really like it, only track I'm not so into is No Good, other than that Hollow and Live In a Hole are awesome

4. Reinventing the Steel I only first listened to this one like last week, I really didn't feel it the first time and the only track that stood out to me as pretty good was I'll Cast a Shadow but I listened to it again and it really grew on me, Death Rattle is my favorite and Revolution is My Name and Yesterday don't mean shit are very awesome (alongside ICaS), the only song that I really dislike is Uplift it just sounds to me so boring :S

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #165 on: November 09, 2020, 07:25:40 PM »
Has anyone else checked out the new version of Reinventing the Steel?  The new Terry Date remix is fantastic and so clear compared to the original.  I like having all of that era's b-sides on the third disc as well.  I already had one or two from the various albums that they appeared on. 

These guys have done a great job compiling each re-release's bonus content, though I dislike the actual remastering job on CFH, Vulgar and FBD. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: November 09, 2020, 07:31:31 PM »
Has anyone else checked out the new version of Reinventing the Steel?  The new Terry Date remix is fantastic and so clear compared to the original.  I like having all of that era's b-sides on the third disc as well.  I already had one or two from the various albums that they appeared on. 

These guys have done a great job compiling each re-release's bonus content, though I dislike the actual remastering job on CFH, Vulgar and FBD.

I'm waiting for this one.  Isn't in stores yet here but I'm picking it up as soon as it is.  I'll order online if I have to.  I haven't been a fan of those earlier remasters either.  I haven't checked Trendkills though yet actually, but the ohters weren't great.  Cowboys was horrible.  The new mixes I heard on youtube were fantastic.  It's a great album this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2020, 07:48:44 AM »

You and I are in lockstep. I love the new Terry Date remix of Reinventing the Steel. SOOOOO much better. But the remastering job of those older records is horrible. I have the originals, and had bought the remasters too, but sold them.

Anyone on the fence about getting the Terry Date remix of Reinventing the Steel, go out and get it. It's really good.  :metal

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2020, 01:06:48 PM »
Can't believe Dimebag has been gone 16 years now.  I'll never forget the day it happened, shocking.  RIP Dimebag.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2020, 02:41:27 PM »
Yea it's crazy! I also remember that day so vividly. So sad that his brother is also gone, they were inseparable.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2022, 08:07:19 AM »
How about a Pantera "reunion"?

https://blabbermouth.net/news/its-official-panteras-surviving-members-to-embark-on-reunion-tour-in-2023

Blabbermouth is also reporting Zakk Wylde and Charlie Benante will be joining. Thoughts?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2022, 08:29:27 AM »
I have mixed feelings about it. I saw that the other day and while Phil was the voice of the band and really love Rex's playing, it really can't be Pantera without the brothers. It is going to be some tribute band. Either way I don't even know what shape Phil's voice is right now and if the shows will do the band name justice.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2022, 08:30:26 AM »
No Abbotts = No Pamtera
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2022, 08:32:00 AM »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2022, 08:33:24 AM »
How about a Pantera "reunion"?

https://blabbermouth.net/news/its-official-panteras-surviving-members-to-embark-on-reunion-tour-in-2023

Blabbermouth is also reporting Zakk Wylde and Charlie Benante will be joining. Thoughts?