Author Topic: How to increase forearm strength and right hand speed.  (Read 6320 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
How to increase forearm strength and right hand speed.
« on: August 24, 2009, 10:33:55 AM »
Okay, first off, get all the jerking off jokes done right now.

Second. For as long as I can remember the idea of soloing never really appealed to me. I really have no interest in learning how to solo, but what I have always be really intrigued by, was the dude making the fucking brickwall of sound behind the solo. I have always been interested in rhthym and when I start a band, I will be the rhythym guitarist. However, in order to be a great metal rhythym player (James Hetfield) you need a machine gun for a right hand. Any suggestions of how to build up speed and strength in my forearm and picking hand.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
Re: How to increase forearm strength and right hand speed.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »
 ;)
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Aadish

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:23:35 PM »
Metronome. And don't do it as Hetfield, 'cause he only plays downstrokes and that kinda stops your machinegun from going ultramegarampageChuckNorrisworlddomination-mode..

Start out playing slowly to the pulse of a metronome, preferably somewhere around 60 bpm and then increase it. I would suggest you go for something like this : eights, triplets, sixteenths, thirtytwo, sixtyfours. And make sure you do triplets to all of them. If you do this 15 min everyday you will surely notice a whole lot of improvement.

BUT remember to do ups AND downs.. Not only downstrokes, cause that makes your arm go ouch and your shoulder will fall off.

Cheers!  :heart

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 02:42:36 PM »
I disagree.  Learning speed by doing a lot of down-only riff work will build tremendous strength and speed. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »
I disagree.  Learning speed by doing a lot of down-only riff work will build tremendous strength and speed. 

I wanted to say that, but I didn't want to seem dickish.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 03:23:08 PM »
Fap alot.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline lawl

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 03:45:59 PM »
why would you need speed for rhythm guitar?

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 03:46:32 PM »

:facepalm:

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »

Not only is strength for speed, but believe it or not how hard you play something actually affects how it sounds.

And if you're into the more heavy side of things, speed is often needed, along with good dexterity.

Example of good fast/heavy rhythm guitars for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ov-Zk-KX4
Not just main parts, but the little details and embellishments you hear. Check the playing about 4 mins in onwards if you can't listen all the way through.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 07:24:09 PM »
seriously? just practice, its the best way to do it. you have to spend time on it so just do it.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »
Metronome...

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 03:58:36 PM »

this

spend time practicing both alternate picking and all downstrokes.  for rhythm in metal, you want to use downstrokes whenever possible (think of your standard chugging riff).  watch JP play Pull Me Under (i'm thinking of the part before the 2nd verse) for an example.

i'd recommend just learning some thrash metal or tech death songs in addition to metronome practice (which gets boring as hell).

My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 04:12:27 PM »
i'd recommend just learning some thrash metal or tech death songs in addition to metronome practice (which gets boring as hell).

This. Just chugging away on a metronome sucks ass.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 08:49:46 AM »
As others have said, get a metronome.  Take any demanding phrase and start out slowly enough that you can play the entire sequence 100% correct, but not so slow that you aren't challenged just a hair.  When you can play it straight through several times with no mistakes, bump it up about 5 bpm or so.  The time spent using this approach will build up forearm strength from the repetition as well as help to build up right hand speed, from the constant increase in bpm.

Also, once you get a metronome, learn my favorite Paul Gilbert guitar solo:

https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/guitarcozmo/DBLLBSolo.jpg

(I chose to link the pic because when I put it inline, it looked a little funny).  Enjoy!

Offline JRT

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 01:18:25 PM »
Hand grips. My forearms are really big now and i'm only still on 150 can almost close 200

https://www.amazon.com/Set-of-6-Heavy-Grips/dp/B000LLI9G0/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1252091891&sr=8-14

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »
Hand grips. My forearms are really big now and i'm only still on 150 can almost close 200

https://www.amazon.com/Set-of-6-Heavy-Grips/dp/B000LLI9G0/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1252091891&sr=8-14

NONONONONO

these are a HORRIBLE idea for instrumentalists 1. they do not exercise the muscles that you need to play with, and 2. they can lead to a lot of muscle problems down the road, things like carpal tunnel, which will destroy you in the end.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline FreakGuitar420

• Th3rd Floor Resident
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 08:06:10 PM »

NONONONONO

these are a HORRIBLE idea for instrumentalists 1. they do not exercise the muscles that you need to play with, and 2. they can lead to a lot of muscle problems down the road, things like carpal tunnel, which will destroy you in the end.

I have to agree with this post, while helping build different muscles in your arms and shoulders they don't focus on the specific needs of learning an instrument.

Most importantly of all it isn't necessarily muscles that you want to be exercising to play better. While muscles obviously play an important part in the learning of any instrument, they are not the most important aspect of playing said instrument. Muscle memory comes into play for practicing every day and has an important part but more so in short term playing. The aspect that is often overlooked is the growth of new nerves while playing/practicing on an instrument for many hours every day for weeks/months/years at a time. This is where advanced long term playing comes into play. My advice would be to try many different techniques while playing rhythm guitar, especially techniques that you have trouble with and aren't nearly as good at. Taking in as many different techniques and types of playing (down picking, alternate picking, economy picking, up picking etc.) will help you grow all the nerves necessary and train the different muscles necessary for taking on almost any song and style of different guitarist you want.
....beside it for a moment. Coherent thought was now impossible. His teeth felt strange in his head, tiny tombstones set it pink moist earth. The world held too much light. He climbed up on the altar and lay back. His mind was becoming a jungle full of strange thought-plants that he had never seen or suspected before, a willow-jungle that had grown up around a mescaline spring. The sky was water and he hung suspended over it. The thought gave him a vertigo that seemed faraway and unimportant....

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 04:30:40 PM »
To the best of my memory (It's been so long since i made an effort to learn to open notes faster!), fast precise picking comes from the smallest possible movements whilst still picking the string. Its worth just spending some time picking open strings and keeping an eye on a reflection of your right hand and practicing doing the smallest possible motion whilst alternate picking averagely hard at a slow to medium tempo.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />