Author Topic: The Saga of Orbert's Band (now with A New Development)  (Read 82168 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Saga of Orbert's Band (now with A New Development)
« Reply #700 on: November 03, 2022, 01:17:31 PM »
Hang in there, my dude.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #701 on: November 03, 2022, 02:30:41 PM »
Thanks, man.  I try not to let it get me down, but there's only so long you can do something, even something you really like, if it doesn't seem to be leading anywhere.  Those recent open mic gigs kinda re-stoked me for a while, but then when they led to nothing, the feeling of futility returned.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #702 on: November 17, 2022, 08:32:22 AM »
Last Wednesday, John was in town and met with David and me for dinner, so we had a mini band reunion.  When he called, my first inclination was to get out of it.  Patty and I had a practice scheduled that night which I'd already told Patty we'd have "for sure" because we missed the previous week for reasons I don't remember now and am too lazy to lookup, so that was my excuse and I told John when he called that I'd have to check with Patty.  It's weird.  I played in a band with John for five or six years, but I don't know if I ever considered him a friend.  We were the members of "his" band, and after watching him replace members many times over the years, I felt more like an employee than a bandmate.  We never hung out socially; we're way too different.  But it's also hard to make music with someone for that long and not feel something, and the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to go.  I kinda felt like doing it because it meant so much to John, who definitely considered me a friend and not just a bandmate.  So I told Patty about it and she said to go; after all, we don't have any gigs coming up or anything.  True.

During dinner, we each caught the others up on what we've been doing.  John mentioned that Jerry and JT were also invited, but both found reasons to not attend, which didn't surprise him.  John shared some more details about how the great mess of 2020 went down, and I guess Jerry and JT being replaced for those gigs (which never happened) was not as amicable as I'd been led to believe.  Apparently it got pretty ugly for a while, and actually contributed to John's decision to just break up the band and move to Tennessee.  I try to stay clear of the drama, so maybe I had a rose-colored view of things, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't presented to me that way originally.

Out in the parking lot after, it's hugs all around.  Man-hugs, of course, but as John's hugging me he says "I love you, man.  It was so great to see you again."  Very warm, very genuine.  I told him it was great to see him, too.  I didn't tell him that I kinda liked him but always thought he was a mediocre guitarist at best.

Yesterday afternoon, I'm looking at the calendar and it's Wednesday again, and theoretically rehearsal night with Patty.  I usually send a text asking if we're still on, she confirms and gives me an ETA, and I get mentally ready.  I haven't played anything band-related since our last rehearsal, a month ago now.  I haven't wanted to.  There doesn't seem to be a point.  I realize in that moment that I don't want to rehearse.  I realize in that moment that there doesn't seem to be any point to continuning, since we've apparently exhausted every avenue available to us.  Patty found the smokehouse, but I found the taphouse which we played a few weeks later, and also the other two places which we were supposed to try.  But Patty never seemed very interested in digging up gigs, and I probably could've, but it's hard for me to take on work that I was told would be taken care of, and I know it would be harder still to do that work and see it amount to nothing.  A year and a half, an amazing debut gig over a year ago, a pretty good one a few months later, then some open mics and a whole lot of nothing.  Both gigs, and every open mic we've played, all told us how great we were and they wanted us back, and every one of them ghosted us.  Fuck venues.  How can you tell someone to their face that you thought they were great and you want them back, and then just ignore their calls and emails?  Or get back to them with some shit about how everything's already booked (when you were supposed to be in those bookings)?

So I texted Patty and told her I was losing enthusiasm for the project and thinking we needed to take a break.  I always get very busy around the holidays, mostly doing musical stuff with the church but also family stuff and other holiday stuff.  Pretty lame to give excuses like that, but I felt like I should say something.  And I really was thinking in terms of a break, maybe resume after the holidays or in the spring when gigs might open up again.  Patty wrote back saying she understood, then followed it a few minutes later with another saying she'd told (the other) Bob that I'd broken up with her, lol.  Hey, high school was a long time ago for me, and I'd forgotten that "taking a break" for some people means "breaking up".  But I guess that's how she took it (she said she'd enjoyed our time together, it was fun, blah blah blah), and I was surprised, but also felt a sense of relief.  Is it over?  It can be.  I could write back and say that that's not what I meant, or I could let it be.  I chose to let it be.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #703 on: November 17, 2022, 08:36:19 AM »
I didn't tell him that I kinda liked him but always thought he was a mediocre guitarist at best.

That's why I love you - platonically - Orbert, and I read everything you write.  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #704 on: December 25, 2022, 10:47:10 AM »
Sometimes honestly is the best policy.  Actually, most of the time.  Not necessarily complete honesty, but partial truths are still truths.  At least that's what I tell myself.

I'm still getting PMs via the band hookup site looking for a keyboard player.  The last three have all been guys trying to start up a band.  No.  Just No.  Starting a new act is a fuck of a lot of work.  I was brutally reminded of that multiple times over the past several years.  In 2013, I was 51 and getting old but still young and crazy enough to jump in, because you only live once.  And once things got going, hey, you have to see them through.  No matter what other shit was going on, it was not going to be my fault that the band broke up.  The Patty & Bob Show... I'm going to accept partial responsibility for that, but I did suggest a break, not to dissolve the act.  I told her that if something came up, I was in.

Anyway, I'm 60 now and still feel the need to play, but I really don't want to pay dues for another couple years before things start happening.  Maybe this spring or summer, I'll toss some feelers out there.  Keyboard player looking for established band.  Three years ago, there was demand.  Today, I don't know.  My profile says I'm not seeking a new band, so all I get is spam.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #705 on: February 13, 2023, 09:23:45 PM »
I got two new PMs via the band hookup site that I don't mention by name, just in case.  The first one was a generic "we need a keyboard player" but with something of a twist: The guy manages two bands, and right now they're both looking for a keyboard player.  One band just lost theirs.  They played 15 gigs in 2022, they have some already on the books for 2023, and they need a keyboard player.  Holy shit.  This is what I said I wanted.  Step into an established band, learn the songs, start gigging.  Suddenly it's a totally different kind of scary.  This is a band that already has gigs lined up; I would have to step in and step up pretty much immediately.  All the pressure would be on me.  Well, I didn't want to join a startup.  I don't want to pay my dues again.  This is the alternative.

The second band is something else he's putting together, a funk band.  They only started in January, but he wants to start booking for May.  Wow.  I am some things, possibly many, but funky isn't really one of them, although I do like to listen to funk sometimes.  I would be a horrible keyboard player in a funk band.

The guy signed it Paul and gave a phone number and I realized that it's the same guy from this post and this post from two years ago.  That band did get going, they played gigs, and they're not bad.  I've seen video.  Not great, but not bad.  And they're established and they need keys.

The only problem is I'd again be in a situation where I actually like maybe 20% of the songs.  I'd be playing because I like playing, not because I actually like the songs I'm playing.  Damn it.  I need to think about this.  But not too long; he wants to start scheduling auditions.  Shit.

The other PM was another sad message "Key Board Player needed" with no actual spelling errors but some pretty clunky grammar.  And keyboard is one word, not two you moron.  I didn't bother answering that one.  But I do need to figure out what to do about Paul's band.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #706 on: February 14, 2023, 11:39:53 AM »
Good to have some options, I guess.

Less good if the options aren't exactly what you're looking for.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: February 14, 2023, 01:24:26 PM »

The other PM was another sad message "Key Board Player needed" with no actual spelling errors but some pretty clunky grammar.  And keyboard is one word, not two you moron.  I didn't bother answering that one.  But I do need to figure out what to do about Paul's band.

Are you sure they weren't asking for someone who plays crucial boards?   :)   I didn't think surfing was big in Illinois, but what do I know.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #708 on: February 14, 2023, 02:40:12 PM »
Surfing isn't huge here.  We have a zillion of these little lakes, but not a lot of surf.  Maybe if a big boat goes by ignoring the No Wake Zone markers.  I'm thinking it's some dude who doesn't know enough about keyboards to even spell it properly.

Good to have some options, I guess.

Less good if the options aren't exactly what you're looking for.

I have to face the music one of these days.  The only people who like Classic Rock and 70's music are people my age, and people my age don't go out to bars to listen to cover bands butcher their favorite songs.  There are very few actual Classic Rock cover bands around here, and they're really, really good and make shitloads of money and it's their actual livelihood.  They don't have day jobs; they are professional cover band artists.  I'm pretty good, but I'm not that good.  Plus, I'd never want to work that hard at something that's supposed to be fun.  It ain't fun if it's work.  (Then again, it ain't work if it's fun!)

Paul's band does a combination a older and newer stuff, as pretty much everyone has to these days, but it's mostly newer, a lot of it I don't even recognize, and a lot of what I do recognize I don't really like.  I looked at where they played last year, where they're booked so far this year.  Some nice places, many I played with my old band.  Also, the singer is fucking hot.  Like... damn!  Mediocre singer at best, though.  They're playing near me this Friday.  I think I'll go check her them out.  It might help me decide, but I'm already leaning towards not bothering.  I'm getting too old for this shit.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: February 15, 2023, 06:32:36 AM »
Orbert, I go to this local bar with my stepson a fair amount.  We go to open mike night on Thursday and once in a while we'll go see one of the bands they put on Friday or Saturday.   I'm the classic rock guy, and my stepson likes some of it (he's a big Skynyrd guy, and Ozzy/Sabbath).   But as much as I'd wish it wasn't so, when the bands play stuff from the '90s and Aughts, they get the best reaction. Sad but true, it's undeniable.   And when a "classic" song does get some traction, it's pretty obvious that it's kids who either grew up with that song in their family or something like that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #710 on: February 15, 2023, 07:55:15 AM »
It's gets worse every year.  In 2013 (ten years ago!) when I started this whole adventure I was 50 but still felt young enough to play some rock and roll, and you could still get away with it in bars.  But every year, my generation gets older while the average age of bar patrons stays about the same, and the number of places that have music catering to my generation dwindles a bit more.  I'm 60 now, and I watched some of the video of Paul's band and they're all about my age, but I wonder what younger folk think about old fogies like us playing "their" music.  Do we look ridiculous?  Or does it not really matter?

There's some 90's and 00's that isn't horrible.  A lot of it I came to enjoy playing because it was challenging and I liked the people in the band, and we were really good.  There's always that angle.  That's mostly why I'm going out to see Paul's band on Friday.  The videos tell one story, but I want to see what they're like onstage in real time.  Maybe I'll get bitten by the bug again.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #711 on: February 20, 2023, 02:54:04 PM »
Well, crap.  We got a good winter snowstorm on Thursday, and Friday night it was still pretty cold out there, so I didn't go see Paul's band.  I'm familiar with the place they played, and there's no parking anywhere near it.  You have your choice of a small lot down the street and a parking garage two blocks away.  I think I had Mrs. Orbert halfway talked into going with me, but the idea of parking and the walking 20 minutes in the cold was not appealing even to me, so I don't blame her for not wanting to go, and I wasn't going to leave her home on a Friday night just so I could go see them.  Oh well.

I was gonna give Paul the weekend to recover, then shoot him an email thanking him for the note, but politely declining.  This morning there was an email from him wanting to know if I'd made any decisions, so I thanked him for the note, but politely declined.

I was thinking of going onto the band hookup site and officially changing my status to "looking for a band" but I don't know.  I get PMs anyway from bands looking for keyboard players.  Are there any actually good bands out there who would've contacted me but didn't because I didn't specifically say I was looking for a band?  I doubt it.  I checked my profile, and it doesn't actually say I'm not looking for a band.  It's just information about me.  So I'm just gonna leave things as is for now.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #712 on: March 07, 2023, 07:39:32 PM »
Okay, I've officially entered the realm of "jfc Bob, everything has to fucking perfect for you, doesn't it?"

Got another PM from some guy with a weird last name that I have no idea how to pronounce, says his band is dedicated to playing weddings and corporate events, and they're looking for a keyboard player.  My first thought is "Whoa, jackpot!"  Weddings and corporate events are where the big money is.  I know guys who take a grand apiece from gigs like that.

I follow the link to the band page, and the "band" is currently him on lead vocals and rhythm guitar, and some other guy on lead guitar.  That's it.  They need a keyboard player because they're still putting the band together.  There's a link to the guy's personal webpage (weirdlastname.com) so I go there, and the site is Weirdlastname Music Productions and it's all about a different band called Weirdlastname and The Collective.  Pictures, videos.  Looks alright.  They're a lot younger than me.  On the band hookup site, Weirdlastname boasts "over 10 years experience" making music, and also says he's 23.  So great, he's been playing since he was 13 and now he's 23 and has his own website and band page and is already looking to replace whatever happened to his last band.  Or maybe add to it.  There's nothing at all about the band he actually contacted me about (Weirdlastname and Something Else I Don't Remember).

I could probably be okay playing in a band with dudes half my age or less, if they're okay with it.  But this sounds like another startup.  Nothing wrong with being young and setting your sights high.  I looked at their list of "influences".  He named six or seven bands, two of which I'd heard of, none of which I could name any songs from.  Music by folks much younger than me, for folks much younger than me.  Yeah yeah yeah, everything has to be fucking perfect for you Bob, doesn't it?  I haven't responded yet, and probably won't.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #713 on: March 08, 2023, 08:39:58 AM »
Okay, I've officially entered the realm of "jfc Bob, everything has to fucking perfect for you, doesn't it?"

Got another PM from some guy with a weird last name that I have no idea how to pronounce, says his band is dedicated to playing weddings and corporate events, and they're looking for a keyboard player.  My first thought is "Whoa, jackpot!"  Weddings and corporate events are where the big money is.  I know guys who take a grand apiece from gigs like that.

I follow the link to the band page, and the "band" is currently him on lead vocals and rhythm guitar, and some other guy on lead guitar.  That's it.  They need a keyboard player because they're still putting the band together.  There's a link to the guy's personal webpage (weirdlastname.com) so I go there, and the site is Weirdlastname Music Productions and it's all about a different band called Weirdlastname and The Collective.  Pictures, videos.  Looks alright.  They're a lot younger than me.  On the band hookup site, Weirdlastname boasts "over 10 years experience" making music, and also says he's 23.  So great, he's been playing since he was 13 and now he's 23 and has his own website and band page and is already looking to replace whatever happened to his last band.  Or maybe add to it.  There's nothing at all about the band he actually contacted me about (Weirdlastname and Something Else I Don't Remember).

I could probably be okay playing in a band with dudes half my age or less, if they're okay with it.  But this sounds like another startup.  Nothing wrong with being young and setting your sights high.  I looked at their list of "influences".  He named six or seven bands, two of which I'd heard of, none of which I could name any songs from.  Music by folks much younger than me, for folks much younger than me.  Yeah yeah yeah, everything has to be fucking perfect for you Bob, doesn't it?  I haven't responded yet, and probably won't.
I don't blame you.  Joining an established band that does weddings is one thing, but helping a 23 year old would not be my cup of tea.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #714 on: March 08, 2023, 02:16:14 PM »
Yeah, it'd basically be another startup situation.  We talked about what our "ultimate goals" were sometimes in the last band, and the two biggies were the festival circuit and doing weddings and corporate events.  That's the best money a cover band can hope to make.  But not if I have to start at the bottom again.  Fuck that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #715 on: May 03, 2023, 08:12:56 PM »
The Patty & Bob Show will be reuniting for one show!  That neighborhood party we played last year is on again this year, and Patty's friend Other Bob asked her if we wanted to do it again.  We just did one set, and then the other band played two, but what the hell.  Last year we played for about 45 minutes and got $50 to split between us.  I had told Patty that as far as I'm concerned, we didn't break up, just took a hiatus.  And now we're back, at least for the one gig.  Also, Other Bob wants to sit in on some of the songs.  Fine with me, but I ain't giving up any of my split.  Other Bob probably wouldn't take anything anyway.  He doesn't seem the type.

I checked.  Last year's party was actually the last paid gig we did.  I don't know how much difference that makes.  I just think it's kinda funny.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #716 on: May 18, 2023, 04:53:46 PM »
So we got together last Wednesday (5/10) and ran through a list of songs that Patty had somewhat hastily put together after confirming with me that I was up for the gig.  It wasn't bad.  As always, I load my piano and stuff in the car in the morning and head straight to rehearsal from work.  Our list of songs had reached the point where the charts don't all fit into the zip-up folder I've been using, so I started only taking what I need with me, and leaving the rest at home.  Sometime during the day, she texted me and named two or three other songs she'd thought of that she'd like to try.  I told her that we could try, but I didn't have the charts with me, only the ones on the list she'd given me.  In other words, probably not, because I never did memorize all the songs (which seemed like a fair enough goal when it looked like we were actually going to play gigs) and literally hadn't played them in like six months.  No biggie.  We ran through the songs from the list. 

It felt good, singing and playing together the first time in six months.  We talked about what worked and what didn't.  Since it was the first time together since before Christmas, we also spent some time just chatting and getting caught up.  With the band, we were together for years but I never felt any closer to the other guys than maybe a co-worker who I get along with.  We never got together socially or even hung around much after practice, although John did try to encourage that by laying out food and beverages.  Anyway, I feel more of an actual friendship with Patty, probably because it's just the two of us, I actually like her as a person, and yes, because I think she's cute.  Actually it's a combination of all three.  And since it's clear that this is a professional relationship and can never be more than that, I think that actually gives me the freedom to loosen up and be friends with her.  So it was nice just hanging out.

During the intervening week, she'd come up with a few more songs, and I brought both folders with me, just in case.  I never did set up my piano at home, but I ran through one of the songs ("The First Cut is the Deepest" - Sheryl Crow version) on the acoustic once.  Bleah.  What a boring song.  Nice enough to listen to I guess, but boring as hell to play.  Same three chords over and over for both the verse and chorus, with the order of them changing during the last line of each verse (D G A just the once per verse, D A G the entire rest of the song).

Anyway, rehearsal last night was pretty good.  We tightened up some things, and I was pleasantly surprised at how easily the old groove came back.  We really are pretty good together.  We now have a "final" version of the song list (which obviously with change over the next four weeks because that's just how it goes) and decided to wait two weeks before our next rehearsal.  Other Bob will be invited to the next rehearsal (we don't know if he can make it -- Patty will find out) and apparently he's only going to sit in on the one song.  Which one?  "The First Cut is the Deepest".  Awesome!  Simply playing it with another musician will make it more interesting.  The downside is that Other Bob also sings; not a downside in itself, but it means that we really have no excuse for not doing the background vocals.  I haven't bothered providing backgrounds on that one because they're not "normal" background harmonies but silly harmonies that answer and repeat words sung by the lead vocalist.  Since there's two of us singing backgrounds, we really should do them.  Which means I have to learn them and arrange them.  Bleah.  I hate that song.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #717 on: May 25, 2023, 12:08:48 PM »
Got a text from Patty yesterday afternoon asking if I was busy on the 8th.  She's been asked to do two songs, one of them a capella, but she'll split the $150 with me.  So $75 for one song?  What's the song?  "The Wind Beneath My Wings".  I'm in.

Wait, the 8th?  Like June 8th?  That's a Thursday.  She must mean July 8th, a Saturday.  Nope, Thursday June 8 at 7:00 PM.  Funeral home an hour from here.  I'm still in.  $75 for one song plus an hour drive each way is still a deal, plus that's a great song.  If someone wants it sung at their memorial for somebody, I'm in.  Patty and I will nail it.  Two weeks from tonight.  We have a "band" practice scheduled for next week, with an option on the 7th to brush things up.  I have no problem devoting whatever rehearsal time we need for this song, although I'm sure we won't need a whole lot.  Still, suddenly that backyard party where we play for 45 minutes and split $50 seems somewhat less important right now.  But a gig's a gig.  And we actually have two now.

Patty says this could be a way to make money doing our thing.  Special events are always a nice money-maker if you can get a network going.  I'm glad she's still thinking of ways to make this work.  We've got a bunch of material and we really are pretty good.  I'm not sure what kind of market there is for performing at memorials, but throw in birthdays, other private parties, and of course the biggies, weddings and corporate events, and you can make some bucks.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #718 on: June 08, 2023, 10:12:25 PM »
So last Wednesday, we rehearsed "Wind Beneath My Wings" (I guess there's no definite article) and also worked on the tunes for the party next week.  Patty asked me if I knew "Amazing Grace", which I thought was kind of a dumb question since I've been going to church since I was five years old and have been playing in church bands for 20 years, but I just told her Yes, I know it.  She's a little nervous about singing it a capella, which is understandable.  Actually, the way it worked out is that the woman who died was the mother-in-law of a guy Patty was in a band with years ago, and both the guy and his wife (daughter of the deceased) thought of Patty to sing at the memorial.  There's no piano or keyboard or anything at the place, but Mom's favorite hymn was "Amazing Grace" and her favorite secular song was "Wind Beneath My Wings".  Patty said she'd give "Amazing Grace" a shot, but there's no way she could do "Wind Beneath My Wings" without her partner (meaning me on piano).  She asked them if it would be okay if I came out and accompanied her and they said that would be great.  Anyway, I helped her find a key for "Amazing Grace" and played some kind of accompaniment for her so she could practice singing it once.  D major works well for her voice, and gives a rather solemn song some brightness.

This afternoon, she sent me a text which was a picture of the program, and we're both billed for both songs.  Her caption was "I guess they are figuring you will play Amazing Grace with me.  Think we can wing it?"  I told her Absolutely.  We did, after all, practice it once.  So we did it.  I pulled up a nice church organ patch and gave her the starting pitch, and off we went.  We did "Wind Beneath My Wings" later in the service (I switched to piano, obviously).  People were weeping openly, which is always a good yet strange feeling.  They thanked us profusely, said it was beautiful, etc., and told Patty that they're bumping it up to $200 since we're splitting the fee.  Cool.  $100 to play two songs (plus haul my gear an hour each way and sit through a memorial service for someone I'd never met, but she sounded like a pretty cool lady, so what the heck).

Next week, we shift gears totally and practice our 10 songs for the party next Friday.  Then... I'm not sure.  With no more gigs booked, I'd be okay just taking a break again.  But if any gigs pop up, I'm in, as always.  Players gotta play.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: June 11, 2023, 07:43:29 AM »
Been a while since anyone posted in this thread besides you Bob - making this post to let you know I still follow and enjoy the saga. :) I don't think there's any other content like that on DTF.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #720 on: June 11, 2023, 03:48:12 PM »
Thanks!  I like to keep adding to this thread since others have also mentioned that they're following it.  Also my memory isn't what it once was, and this thread serves as something like a history of my more recent adventures in trying to make music on the side.  The history of a couple of bands now plus whatever it is that Patty and I are (a duo, I guess).  And as always, I try to make it interesting and entertaining.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: June 12, 2023, 07:24:33 AM »
For the record, I'm with Evermind on this one. I read this diligently, and look forward to each installment. 

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #722 on: June 12, 2023, 07:39:20 AM »
Orbert,

As someone who is at a massive crossroads with his band (on the eve of pressing vinyl and filming a video–might need my own thread :-\), I am going to echo the others–this thread is like therapy so please, never stop posting.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #723 on: June 12, 2023, 11:12:55 AM »
I hunger for new posts in this thread. 

Keep fighting the good fight, Bob.  Been a long time since I've been an active musician.  Honestly, I don't even remember the last time I took my guitar down off the wall.   :(

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #724 on: June 16, 2023, 09:24:16 PM »
We played the backyard neighborhood association party tonight.  We were the first of three bands, 6 to 6:45.  Another band was 7 to 7:45, and the headliners, same as last year, closed things out starting at 8.  Last year we were 6 to 7 and they went 7 to 10.  Having a second "opening act" was different.

Anyway, we finished about 6:47.  Got a pretty nice applause, and some nice ovations after some of the individual songs, too.  Apparently we sounded better than last year.  Last year, we found out that the mix was kinda bad, balance was off, which is such bullshit when there's only two of us.  No one could have said anything before we were all done?  So this time, we actually got a brief "sound check" (half a song), and we also checked with Bob and Steve after a couple of songs, asked them how we sounded, how the balance was, and they both gave us thumbs-up.  So... cool.

12 songs, 47 minutes, and we split $50 between us.  Hey, a gig's a gig.  There is currently nothing else on the schedule, but I told Patty to let me know as soon as she finds something.  We shall see.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #725 on: June 24, 2023, 06:54:56 PM »
Been a long time since I've been an active musician.  Honestly, I don't even remember the last time I took my guitar down off the wall.   :(
There's no reason why you can't just take it down and play a bit.  It's good for you.

Once we were done tearing down and packing up, I just wanted to get the hell out of there.  Last year it was exciting, playing an outdoor gig was a different thing from playing the open mikes and occassional actual gig.  We were still just starting out, starting to build our network.  Three open mikes in the next six months that led to precisely zip seemed to indicate that "building our network" wasn't quite happening, so we took that break.  A few months ago, doing this party again seemed like a decent excuse to get together again and have some fun.  Then that memorial service came up and we got $100 each for doing two songs, and hauling my gear 45 minutes each way to play 45 minutes and split $50 suddenly felt kinda lame.  I know, a gig's a gig.  But once we were done, I just wanted to bail.  Mrs. Orbert was home making pork chops for dinner.  I actually remembered to hit up Patty for my split, and I had overheard Other Bob telling her earlier that he remembered to get cash this time (instead of whatever he and Patty had worked out last year), but I felt dumb telling Patty "Hey, I'm leaving, can I get my 25 bucks?"  So I just gave her a hug, told her it was fun (which it was) and I'm not sure when we'll see each other again, but let me know.  If she can stir up a gig somewhere, I'm (probably) in.

She sent me a Facebook Message the other day reminding me that she still owes me $25.  I told her we'd work something out.  Last time she sent it to me via Zelle.  She said we could just keep rehearsing, in case something comes up.

Sigh.  I like learning songs, and I like playing with Patty.  But the idea of putting in time for potential zero payoff really bugs me.  I haven't answered yet.  Do what you said you'd do from the very start.  Get us some gigs.  Otherwise, why are we doing this?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #726 on: August 09, 2023, 09:04:49 PM »
So after I didn't reply for a few days (after her suggesting that we just keep practicing), I got a notification that $25 had been deposited in my bank account via Zelle, same as last time.  I shot her a message thanking her, and she sent a smiley face or something.  I don't remember now, but it would've been in character.  That was around a month ago.  I really didn't want to keep practicing with no gigs on the books.

Then last week she sent me a text saying we had a potential gig.  A local winery, 2-5 on a Sunday afternoon, to split $150.  By sheer coincidence, I was on vacation in Michigan at the time, and we'd visited a winery the day before.  On the way out, a trio was setting up out on the patio.  I thought that's the type of thing we should be doing.  Low key, probably make some okay bucks.  We'd been there a few hours already, and it looked like the trio was still a good half an hour or more from ready to play, so we didn't stick around.  But it was a trip when Patty messaged me the next day and said we had a winery gig.

So we're on for September 17.  Wednesday evenings are our usual practice time (when we do practice) and there are six Wednesdays between now and then, counting tonight.  But I got home late Sunday night, and told Patty that the odds of me setting up the keys and practicing for tonight were pretty low, and yesterday I officially called off.  So we have five Wednesdays to get three sets together.  Still, no problem.

She wants to learn some new songs.  Even though no one has heard our old songs in like a year, sure, learning new songs always helps keep things fresh, so I told her to find some and I'll check them out.  She sent me a few songs today, one by a band (?) called Vampire and one by Billie Eilish, who I've actually heard of.  That was this afternoon, and I'd intended to check out the songs tonight, but about an hour later she sent another message saying the Vampire song was too explicit.  Okay.  The Billie Eilish tune is a nice song called "What Was I Made For?"  I'm sure we'll do that one, and probably one or two more.

Also, Patty sent me a picture of a little four-channel mixer/recorder she bought, to get some better recordings of us.  She's also been listening to the old recordings she'd made of us way back when.  So she's still invested in The Patty & Bob Show.  Found a gig, bought some hardware.  We might just make something out of this yet.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #727 on: August 10, 2023, 07:14:48 AM »
So after I didn't reply for a few days (after her suggesting that we just keep practicing), I got a notification that $25 had been deposited in my bank account via Zelle, same as last time.  I shot her a message thanking her, and she sent a smiley face or something.  I don't remember now, but it would've been in character.  That was around a month ago.  I really didn't want to keep practicing with no gigs on the books.

Then last week she sent me a text saying we had a potential gig.  A local winery, 2-5 on a Sunday afternoon, to split $150.  By sheer coincidence, I was on vacation in Michigan at the time, and we'd visited a winery the day before.  On the way out, a trio was setting up out on the patio.  I thought that's the type of thing we should be doing.  Low key, probably make some okay bucks.  We'd been there a few hours already, and it looked like the trio was still a good half an hour or more from ready to play, so we didn't stick around.  But it was a trip when Patty messaged me the next day and said we had a winery gig.

So we're on for September 17.  Wednesday evenings are our usual practice time (when we do practice) and there are six Wednesdays between now and then, counting tonight.  But I got home late Sunday night, and told Patty that the odds of me setting up the keys and practicing for tonight were pretty low, and yesterday I officially called off.  So we have five Wednesdays to get three sets together.  Still, no problem.

She wants to learn some new songs.  Even though no one has heard our old songs in like a year, sure, learning new songs always helps keep things fresh, so I told her to find some and I'll check them out.  She sent me a few songs today, one by a band (?) called Vampire and one by Billie Eilish, who I've actually heard of.  That was this afternoon, and I'd intended to check out the songs tonight, but about an hour later she sent another message saying the Vampire song was too explicit.  Okay.  The Billie Eilish tune is a nice song called "What Was I Made For?"  I'm sure we'll do that one, and probably one or two more.

Also, Patty sent me a picture of a little four-channel mixer/recorder she bought, to get some better recordings of us.  She's also been listening to the old recordings she'd made of us way back when.  So she's still invested in The Patty & Bob Show.  Found a gig, bought some hardware.  We might just make something out of this yet.

This all sounds super promising, and as someone who has followed your 'saga' over the years, I'm pulling for you.

If you guys can land a regular (once a month?) spot somewhere, you'll be golden. There is nothing like the ambiance a solid duo can add to a dining experience on a summer night.

After the past couple of years (thinking of starting my own 'saga' thread), I'm at a point where I am prioritizing 'low-stress' over just about anything else when it comes to playing with bands.

If you ever end up in the Cleveland area, look me up!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #728 on: August 10, 2023, 07:21:43 AM »
I'll keep that in mind, if I'm ever in the Cleveland area! :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: August 10, 2023, 07:36:34 AM »
There's a winery right down the street from me (actually, two), and those Sunday afternoon things are AWESOME. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #730 on: August 10, 2023, 08:16:39 AM »
My winery experiences with live local music have been excellent.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #731 on: August 10, 2023, 02:01:35 PM »
Yeah, it seems like a great format.  Instead of sitting in a bar with some cover band playing music so loud that you have to scream at the person next to you to even have a conversation, we have people chilling on the patio sipping wine while some low-key tunes are playing.  I'm looking forward to it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #732 on: August 13, 2023, 08:58:38 PM »
Man, I really hate practicing.  We were originally supposed to work on Set 1 last Wednesday, but I copped out.  We definitely need to work on it this Wednesday, and after blowing it off all weekend, I finally set up the rig this afternoon, telling myself that it's really so I didn't have an excuse to not practice tonight, after dinner.  But it's 10:00 now, and I don't think I'm gonna practice.  Tomorrow or Tuesday for sure.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #733 on: August 16, 2023, 12:48:17 PM »
Monday night, I got all my charts out, and organized them according the set list Patty had put together last week.  After gigs, I always put them back into my big folio in alphabetical order, to make it easier to grab them and organize them for the next gig.

So I print out the list, organize all three sets, and start working through Set 1.  Since we did 10 or 12 songs at the party in July, and I'd recently played through a bunch more a few weeks ago with another friend of mine (something of an impromptu jam session), there weren't too many that I hadn't actually played in a while, which was good.  I got on Messenger to send Patty a quick note just to say that I was looking forward to Wednesday, and will be ready.  Instead, I have a new message from her that my phone had not notified me about, saying to please review the set list.  She's moved a bunch of things around, but would like to try the new order on Wednesday.

I look, and yeah, she's moved a bunch of things around.  Now I have to dig through my charts and re-order them.  This is a pain because they're no longer in alphabetical order, so I have to dig through the stack each time to find each one.  Either that or re-alphabetize them then put them into setlist order.  Fuck.  It was maybe 9:30 PM by this point and I just decided to blow off practicing (again).  Tuesday night for sure.  Well, yeah, because we're rehearsing Wednesday and I won't attend a rehearsal without preparing my parts.

Last night, after checking to see whether or not there was a new message from Patty (there wasn't), I re-ordered everything, printed out the set list, and played through most of the songs.  I will be reasonably well prepared for tonight.  I personally won't be 100% happy with it, because I never am, but Patty will be happy and rave about how much fun it is and how awesome I am, because she always does.  I always feel like I'm pulling something over on her.  One of these days, she'll figure out that I'm just a fucking amateur; I'm not nearly as good as she seems to think.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #734 on: August 29, 2023, 08:36:00 PM »
Last Wednesday, I show up for practice, and we're gonna run through Set 2.  Except she's re-arranged the order again.  Grrr.  Mostly the same songs, just in a different order, except for a couple.  So there were a few I hadn't played in over a year.

Tonight, being Tuesday night, I go to practice Set 3, but remember that Patty had messed around with the order.  So I double-check the master list online and... Set 2 is exactly what I had before.  None of the changes that we'd worked through and I'd pencilled in are there.  So now I'm wondering where she made the changes.  I sent her a text asking her where the changes were, and if I'm looking at the right list.  She tends to change things and/or create new lists and not tell me.  It's annoying.

But mostly, it's an excuse to not practice because I hate practicing.  I like learning new songs, but I practice out of some sense of duty/responsbility.  Then I show up for rehearsal and find out that Patty has changed things up and/or re-arranged the order, so there are songs I practiced that we're not doing, and some we're doing that I didn't practice.  So fine, I'm not gonna practice.  My back hurts anyway.  I'll go early tomorrow and run through the songs before she gets there.

Oh, and the winery for our Sept 17 gig called Patty and asked if it was okay if we play Oct 15th instead.  Another Sunday afternoon, 2 to 5 same as before, just a different day.  Yay.  So we have three more weeks to practice and rehearse.