Author Topic: The Saga of Orbert's Band (consolidated)  (Read 21476 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: The Saga of Orbert's Band (consolidated)
« Reply #560 on: December 02, 2019, 11:37:35 AM »
It's always difficult with line-up changes. It's not easy to keep a band together when everybody has jobs and families.
 I just met some guys that said they wanted to do some originals and wanted me to go play with them. They were excited to know that I have a bunch of originals to work on. When I got there and set up, all they wanted to do was covers.  I didn't even get a chance to present any originals. So typical!
 The guy that invited me owns a music store and had a nice electronic drum kit set up in there after store hours. It was a nice place to play and they are good musicians, but I don't think the original thing will pan out. Therefore, I'm out!   :facepalm:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #561 on: December 02, 2019, 12:21:56 PM »
Bummer.  Not meeting expectations is one thing, but being told one thing and then finding out that that's not how it is would suck.

John said he'd communicate with each of the singers this week.  Jerry told him not to scare them away.  Historically, our band has been able to put material together pretty quickly because we all understand how it works.  Showing up to rehearsal without knowing your parts is amateur shit.  Or at the very least, say something.  There were eight songs on the list, and obviously the plan was to go through each one, hopefully nail most of them down.  We'd start songs, vocals don't come in, or they come in early and cut off part of the solo, or some shit.  "Sorry, I didn't really work on this one"?  What the fuck?  Then we're wasting everyone's time here.  But Jerry's point is important.  That first rehearsal rocked, but those were all songs that everyone already knew, or mostly.  Let's not assume that 15 minutes per song is gonna work as the norm going forward.  Sure, it will get tighter over time, but as before, just running through the song one more time at rehearsal can make a big difference.  Boring, yeah, but necessary.

So hopefully John is tactful and we still have both singers at the end of the week.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #562 on: December 02, 2019, 01:42:01 PM »
I can relate. I remember going through different drummers and handing them some original songs on CD.  There was only one of them that actually listened to the CD and memorized the parts. It made our practices so much more productive and much better live shows.  The other drummers would only work on the parts at practice which got really frustrating.
 Our good drummer had a mid-life crisis and moved away.. Curse of the drummers!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP