Author Topic: Your concerts for 2017  (Read 33419 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Your concerts for 2017
« Reply #525 on: January 25, 2018, 09:06:47 PM »
Bit of a thread bump to look back at where I ended up for the year. There are also some photos from the 11/18 show up on DT side.

2/7-11 Cruise to the Edge (epic/amazing experience)
2/26 Pain of Salvation- Webster Hall NYC (great set, though the set felt a little on the short side)
5/11 Mastodon- Hammerstein Ballroom NYC (very good show)
5/19 Metallica- Gillette Stadium, MA (Excellent show, some cool pics posted in the Metallica thread)
5/31 Iron Maiden- Prudential Center, NJ (Last minute decision to go with Millahh as some decent tix became available for cheap. Very glad I went, even if I get the same setlist exactly at Barclay's next month, because the band is just so on point)
6/4 Mr Big- BB Kings, NYC (Really enjoyed this, you could do a lot worse than getting to watch Billy and Paul shred for a couple hours and Eric Martin's voice still sounds pretty good)
7/22 Iron Maiden- Barclay's Center, NYC (Same setlist as NJ in May, another great show from the band)
8/22 Neal Morse Band- Gramercy Theater, NYC- Love TSOAD, so really enjoyed this sjow
9/1 Haken- Foundry @ Fillmore, Philly *VIP
9/2 Haken- Highline Ballroom, NYC
9/3 Haken Hard Rock Hotel, Washington DC- Haken weekend was beyond epic, need to upload some of my photos
9/11 Paul McCartney- Prudential Center, Newark NJ- Hey Jude singalong with Sir Paul >>> all other concert singalongs.
9/24 Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress- Irving Plaza, NYC- Probably my show of the year so far, the crowd was beyond electric and the band nailed it.
10/12 Guns N' Roses- Prudential Center, Newark NJ- Bucket list show for me and not too far behind TSF as one of my favorite shows of the year.
10/28- Thank You Scientist- Mexicali Live, Teaneck NJ- An absolute blast. It's criminal I haven't seen these guys at more of their local shows.
11/16- Dream Theater- Beacon Theater, New York NY- A pleasant surprise given some of the James stories I'd heard. Setlist was obviously epic.
11/18 Dream Theater- Paramount Theater, Asbury Park NJ- James was even a little better than NYC, the band was on point, and I had great seats.

Top 3 shows of the year:
#1 is definitely MP's Shattered Fortress show in NYC. Loved the setlist, loved the band he put together, and it was maybe the best/most electric crowd atmosphere I've ever experienced at a live show
#2 is Haken in NYC. Definitely buoyed by being part of a 3 day Haken extravaganza, but the sound was particularly good in New York even up on the rails. Didn't hurt that we went out for beers with Rich and Ray afterwards :cheers:
#3 is Metallica in Foxborough. They put on an amazing stadium show, and I was lucky enough to take it in from the pit in front of the stage. The biggest metal band in the world for a reason.

Honorable mentions: Dream Theater in Asbury Park and Guns N Roses in Newark.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #526 on: January 25, 2018, 09:13:22 PM »
We went to like, half of our shows together this year! :lol Hopefully many more in 2018!

Gotta give it up to your picks for #1 and #2. Personally I have to go with Ayreon as my top as that was an insane trip and show on so many levels, but those two you mentioned are close behind. The atmosphere at that NYC Shattered Fortress show was insane, and that Haken NYC show might be my favorite show I've seen them play.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #527 on: January 26, 2018, 09:59:45 AM »
We went to like, half of our shows together this year! :lol Hopefully many more in 2018!

Gotta give it up to your picks for #1 and #2. Personally I have to go with Ayreon as my top as that was an insane trip and show on so many levels, but those two you mentioned are close behind. The atmosphere at that NYC Shattered Fortress show was insane, and that Haken NYC show might be my favorite show I've seen them play.

Indeed good sir :hat I think if you count each set on CttE separately it would be something like 25 shows :lol
Photobucket sucks.