Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148497 times)

Offline Evai

Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #1435 on: February 06, 2017, 05:27:20 PM »
It's pretty plain and clear that most people are sick of TSCO, and I'm one of them. IMO, they should put that song on the shelf for a solid 10 years and play some other ballads that are as equally emotional (TA has provided a fair few) This way, when they finally dust it off and play it again, people will be delighted to hear it return and consider it a real treat!

I agree! Although I don't know about the 10 years thing, JR will be in his 70's but I guess age won't stop them
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1436 on: February 07, 2017, 06:27:44 AM »
I think Rudess will be the last person in DT being stopped by age :D His technique is still flawless and as incredible as 20 years ago and he still seems very young as fresh.

I went to Prag last night, man WHAT A CONCERT!!! I didn't read anything about the setlist because I didn't want to know anything. However, Mangini spoiled the encore on his FB page, I was really kinda pissed, yet very much looking forward to seeing it.
I think if they had included ALLB and TSCO, it would have been too long. The show was 3hs 5 mins with the intermission.
I was very impressed by James last night! He got better throughout the first set (as he did at the Astonishing shows), but in the second set he was on fire. He nailed almost every note on I&W, and I had real goosebumps at the F# in LTL.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:41:50 AM by Fritzinger »
any rock can be made to roll

Offline erciccio

« Reply #1437 on: February 07, 2017, 06:37:49 AM »
ALLB and TSCO are not really vocally challenging for JLB. According to somebody who watched the Rome show, it took them over 3 hours with those two songs included, so maybe it is the show length.

Yeps, I was in Rome the second night and I can confirm the feeling that the show was just too long..both for them and the crowd.
Started at 8.30 sharp and finished at 11.50..!!

TSCO was absolutely well received, is still one of the fans' favs at least in Italy...there was a couple that danced for the whole song all around the Auditorium..very romantic! :)

Also ALLB has very good reception, but probably it's a song that has more sense within the full TA, especially the ending...

I was in Padova the following night and the show flowed better without the two songs, even though I love them both...

The only pity is that my wife was with me only for the second night, and TSCO and ALLB are her favourite songs...she was waiting for them and was really pissed off!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di piů

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1438 on: February 07, 2017, 07:03:55 AM »
Like both songs but can't say I'll shed any tears over them being missing from the revised set.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1439 on: February 07, 2017, 12:57:50 PM »
so tomorrow john and jordan are doing a Q&A with fans, and there's a quiz. Anyone know about the quiz?? (asking for a friend :rollin)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1440 on: February 08, 2017, 10:25:23 AM »
It's pretty plain and clear that most people are sick of TSCO
No it isn't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1441 on: February 08, 2017, 07:06:33 PM »
Of the songs to cut from this setlist, Life Left behind and Spirit Carries On seem to be the reasonable choices.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1442 on: February 08, 2017, 07:06:54 PM »
No it isn't.

Exactly.  Sure, you will always get a tinny tiny number of hardcore fans who freak out over the band playing a song that always goes over well with live crowds (yeah, let's play an obscure song that will get crickets, so just we can say we played 'obscure song,' instead), but playing a live favorite often is never a bad move and is pretty much something every single band in the world does.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1443 on: February 08, 2017, 07:17:19 PM »
The thing is, it's not as if there's no other live favorites in the current set. I mean, the whole second set is pretty much full of live favorites of the fanbase. So there's no reason they couldn't have chosen another more obscure song for the diehards that support the band instead of playing TSCO for the umpteenth time. And even then, there will always be *at least* a few live favorites in any setlist - DT has enough of those in their catalog, so it's not as if they need to stick with the same one every single time they put together a new setlist.

Anyway, it's sad they dropped two songs from the set, especially if it's due to the show's length, given what the length of their Evening With shows have been like in the past. But if it is to happen, I'd rather see TSCO get the axe more than any other.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1444 on: February 08, 2017, 07:58:36 PM »
i'm back from the gig and the preceding Q&A they did in Tilburg with some fans. The reason they cut those 2 songs is just because of the length of the show, so the people working in venues can also go home on time. Keep those songs and leave the jams/solos out?  They chose to keep the improv in for a better live show.

Btw i'm very impressed with James Labrie, he's really going for it this tour. Best performance by him i've seen, and i've seen DT on the 6doit tour and twice on the train of thought tour. Mangini just doesn't work for me, i really don't like his hi-hat work. He's going about it like a woodchopper if you look at him, though i do dig his little touches he puts on small parts.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1445 on: February 08, 2017, 08:04:40 PM »
  Keep those songs and leave the jams/solos out?  They chose to keep the improv in for a better live show.

That's cool. And lends further credence that JP does pay attention to what the fans say.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1446 on: February 08, 2017, 08:58:41 PM »
I get making the show a little shorter.  The band isn't as young as they used to be.  Rush's "evening with" shows got a little shorter over time.  Neal Morse Band's shows this year aren't as long.  Father Time is still undefeated.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1447 on: February 08, 2017, 09:06:08 PM »
No it isn't.

Exactly.  Sure, you will always get a tinny tiny number of hardcore fans who freak out over the band playing a song that always goes over well with live crowds (yeah, let's play an obscure song that will get crickets, so just we can say we played 'obscure song,' instead), but playing a live favorite often is never a bad move and is pretty much something every single band in the world does.

I wish more people were sick of it because it is one of my last favorite songs, but no...people still love it clearly. 

Damn it. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1448 on: February 09, 2017, 12:34:35 AM »
i'm back from the gig and the preceding Q&A they did in Tilburg with some fans. The reason they cut those 2 songs is just because of the length of the show, so the people working in venues can also go home on time. Keep those songs and leave the jams/solos out?  They chose to keep the improv in for a better live show.

Btw i'm very impressed with James Labrie, he's really going for it this tour. Best performance by him i've seen, and i've seen DT on the 6doit tour and twice on the train of thought tour. Mangini just doesn't work for me, i really don't like his hi-hat work. He's going about it like a woodchopper if you look at him, though i do dig his little touches he puts on small parts.

Schurftkut! (always wanted to say that out loud) Nice name btw. I think my first DT show was at the Ahoy when 6DOIT came out. Sort of agree with Mangini. I mean, he's a nice enough guy I guess, but musically, he just misses the fluidity that MP had.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1449 on: February 09, 2017, 09:29:34 AM »
  Keep those songs and leave the jams/solos out?  They chose to keep the improv in for a better live show.

That's cool. And lends further credence that JP does pay attention to what the fans say.
Yep, improv is always good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1450 on: February 09, 2017, 09:51:06 AM »

Yep, improv is always good.

Agree. They've played all the IAW songs so much over the years that they're better with all the jams/improvs to keep the songs fresh for the audience and for themselves.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1451 on: February 09, 2017, 06:11:04 PM »
Photo of the Q&A

https://ibb.co/nQeTFa

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1452 on: February 10, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »
BTW, does ACOS feel slow to anyone else in the videos? Maybe it's the combination of downpitch and album speed, but it somehow feels slow slower than its "natural pace".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1453 on: February 10, 2017, 08:46:03 PM »
live it works fine, youtube videos don't do it any justice...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1454 on: February 11, 2017, 04:35:57 AM »
BTW, does ACOS feel slow to anyone else in the videos? Maybe it's the combination of downpitch and album speed, but it somehow feels slow slower than its "natural pace".

It felt slow to me while I was there at the concert. Not the entire thing, just Innocence, Carpe Diem was slow itself, so Another World and the rest of the song was flowing fine, but Innocence really DRAGGED. Only song in the show where I actually felt the negative effect of the click track.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline genome

« Reply #1455 on: February 11, 2017, 05:13:26 PM »
My only comment on the tour so far is, GOOD LORD JOHN WHAT IS THAT

Offline Evai

« Reply #1456 on: February 11, 2017, 05:34:51 PM »
It's a beard ;)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline genome

« Reply #1457 on: February 11, 2017, 05:37:18 PM »
JP should totally dye his beard pink and sparkly.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1458 on: February 11, 2017, 06:53:14 PM »

Yes!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1459 on: February 11, 2017, 07:36:24 PM »
After listening to Dream Theater since 2001 I think this will be the year I see them live.

I saw a recent performance of A Change of Seasons and it was tuned down. Have they been tuning down for any the Images & Words set too?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1460 on: February 11, 2017, 07:39:43 PM »
After listening to Dream Theater since 2001 I think this will be the year I see them live.

I saw a recent performance of A Change of Seasons and it was tuned down. Have they been tuning down for any the Images & Words set too?

Everything except Wait for Sleep
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #1461 on: February 11, 2017, 11:47:06 PM »
Omg after seeing the setlist and videos, PLEASE bring this to the states!!!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1462 on: February 12, 2017, 12:20:40 AM »

Everything except Wait for Sleep

I see. As much as I dislike tuning dow it's understandable. They probably should've been tuning that stuff down years ago.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline V_R11

« Reply #1463 on: February 12, 2017, 12:31:54 AM »
My only comment on the tour so far is, GOOD LORD JOHN WHAT IS THAT

Apparently it's a new type of Majesty they'll be launching this year but oh god I enjoy the contrast of him playing progressive stuff with a sparkling guitar :lol

As for downtuning, it's only a half step and honestly won't harm the songs too much. It's fair for James. I'm excited to see them in about two weeks
Seasons change and so can I

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1464 on: February 12, 2017, 02:53:23 AM »

To honest tuned-down ACOS sounds better and heavy.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1465 on: February 12, 2017, 06:32:17 AM »

Yes!

I felt the same way with Trial Of Tears two years ago and on the Breaking The Fourth Wall album. Anyone?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1466 on: February 12, 2017, 08:35:03 AM »

Yes!

I felt the same way with Trial Of Tears two years ago and on the Breaking The Fourth Wall album. Anyone?

Everything is slower without Portnoy.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1467 on: February 12, 2017, 08:39:53 AM »

Yes!

Yes, or the other way round, everything was faster with MP and it sometimes hurt the songs IMO.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1468 on: February 12, 2017, 12:37:53 PM »

Yes!

Yes, or the other way round, everything was faster with MP and it sometimes hurt the songs IMO.

B.Lee

Yep. MP has a tendency to speed up songs. If you need an recent example check out the LTE stuff on the cruise he just did. He's always done it, sometimes IMO it took away from the song.

I don't hear anything wrong with the 'speed' of what MM's playing......if anything it's simply the tempo it 'should' be.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1469 on: February 12, 2017, 12:54:11 PM »
I don't hear anything wrong with the 'speed' of what MM's playing......if anything it's simply the tempo it 'should' be.

Yeap, same here..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)