Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148592 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #945 on: January 17, 2017, 08:23:37 PM »
Anyhow, we don't know what albums he has on his work computer, and a lot of otherwise good guesses come at/near the ends of albums (Scarred, Trial of Tears, BAI).  Of course, two of those are from albums that start with "A", so if that's a clue, it's not much of a clue at all.  :D

Actually, WMP doesn't count a's or the's as words when alphabetising, so A Dramatic Turn Of Events would be listed under "D". Pretty much everything else you said still applies though.

Nope.  My work computer has Windows Media Player.  I have not modified the settings.  It sorts by artist, then album within the artist, alphabetically.

I have never listened to When Dream and Day Unite at work.

Good questions.  :tup

That's the default WMP setting? I thought it is just alphabetical by albums regardless of the artist, which is how my WMP runs. :lol

It goes Artist (Alphabetical) > Album (Alphabetical) > Track (Chronological), so for example:

Dream Theater > Train Of Thought > Stream Of Consciousness
Dream Theater > Train Of Thought > In The Name Of God
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > A Fortune In Lies
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > Status Seeker
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > The Ytse Jam
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > The Killing Hand
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > Light Fuse & Get Away
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > Afterlife
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > TOWHTSTS
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > Only A Matter Of Time
Epica > Consign To Oblivion > Hunab K'u (A New Age Dawns, Prologue)
Epica > Consign To Oblivion > Dance Of Fate

etc.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #946 on: January 17, 2017, 08:38:24 PM »
Also worth noting:
There is an instrumental.  It is not Bombay Vandaloo.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #947 on: January 17, 2017, 08:49:57 PM »
They're opening with Showdown.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #948 on: January 17, 2017, 08:57:13 PM »
Anyhow, we don't know what albums he has on his work computer, and a lot of otherwise good guesses come at/near the ends of albums (Scarred, Trial of Tears, BAI).  Of course, two of those are from albums that start with "A", so if that's a clue, it's not much of a clue at all.  :D

Actually, WMP doesn't count a's or the's as words when alphabetising, so A Dramatic Turn Of Events would be listed under "D". Pretty much everything else you said still applies though.

Nope.  My work computer has Windows Media Player.  I have not modified the settings.  It sorts by artist, then album within the artist, alphabetically.

I have never listened to When Dream and Day Unite at work.

Good questions.  :tup

That's the default WMP setting? I thought it is just alphabetical by albums regardless of the artist, which is how my WMP runs. :lol

It goes Artist (Alphabetical) > Album (Alphabetical) > Track (Chronological), so for example:

Dream Theater > Train Of Thought > Stream Of Consciousness
Dream Theater > Train Of Thought > In The Name Of God
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > A Fortune In Lies
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > Status Seeker
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > The Ytse Jam
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > The Killing Hand
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > Light Fuse & Get Away
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > Afterlife
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > TOWHTSTS
Dream Theater > When Dream & Day Unite > Only A Matter Of Time
Epica > Consign To Oblivion > Hunab K'u (A New Age Dawns, Prologue)
Epica > Consign To Oblivion > Dance Of Fate

etc.

That is correct.  So knowing that WDADU is not in the running, but it is an album that is later in the alphabet, that would narrow it down.  Again, assuming that that is what I was hinting at...  ;)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #949 on: January 17, 2017, 11:40:45 PM »
Bosk, were you listening to WDADRU by any chance?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #950 on: January 17, 2017, 11:47:22 PM »
They haven't played TOWHTSTS, OAMOT or TLF with Mangini, & Metropolis is already part of I&W, so he couldn't have been.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #951 on: January 17, 2017, 11:57:40 PM »
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #952 on: January 17, 2017, 11:59:52 PM »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #953 on: January 18, 2017, 01:09:09 AM »
Damn now I'm getting my hopes up for Panic Attack  :biggrin:

Anyway, this guessing game is fun but I don't really wanna find out. For sure Panic Attack is an unusual but effective way to start up the gig, I was imaging a sudden spotlight on Petrucci for the initial riff od Dark Eternal Night but also the spotlight on Myung for the bass intro would be cool!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline w_marano

• : never give up, it's such a wonderful life :
« Reply #954 on: January 18, 2017, 06:37:28 AM »
Damn now I'm getting my hopes up for Panic Attack  :biggrin:

Anyway, this guessing game is fun but I don't really wanna find out. For sure Panic Attack is an unusual but effective way to start up the gig, I was imaging a sudden spotlight on Petrucci for the initial riff od Dark Eternal Night but also the spotlight on Myung for the bass intro would be cool!

My bet goes to Panic Attack too!

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #955 on: January 18, 2017, 06:40:05 AM »
IF the hint was that Epica would come up alphabetically after DT, and the album's are sorted the way erwinrafael said, War/Test would fit the 25 min space (assuming bosk doesn't have SC, ToT or WDADU on his work computer). TTTSTA-Losing Time is ~25min.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #956 on: January 18, 2017, 06:55:08 AM »
Guys its Panic Attack.
PA > NE > SS = 25 mins
Instead of Octavarium he went to Epica. (Epic)a.

Its Panic Attack.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #957 on: January 18, 2017, 07:06:00 AM »
Imagine if the setlist, while final at the moment it was shared with Bosk, went under some revisions and at the last minute they decided to change the opener, making all this speculation useless  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #958 on: January 18, 2017, 08:04:08 AM »
Why everyone is excluding Bosk has Train of Thought in his PC? And, why is no one mentioning Endless Sacrifice?

Offline DarkChestOfWonders

• The Slayer
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Resident Nightwish fanatic
« Reply #959 on: January 18, 2017, 08:10:15 AM »
That's a really good question.  And related to that, why are people insisting on albums that the clues have eliminated?  Based on the clues, I have it narrowed down to 2 likely albums, which narrows it down to around 3 songs. 
\"thats Mr McDogwick to you.  (...come back after nine. bring LOTS of leather.)\"  ~Sabredog.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #960 on: January 18, 2017, 12:09:59 PM »
EDIT: Actually, Octavarium HAS been played live with Mangini, so this could actually still be a possibility!

What?... No, it hasn't...

Ok.. So:

After reading the last pages, I came up with the conclusion that none of that, except maybe one thing, changed what I thought months ago:

I'd say it's between Trial of Tears, TDEN, BAI, IT or Finally Free..

Back then I discarded three songs, because: I didn't "feel that ES, LNF and Outcry are too much of "crowd pleasers"..." Now I'm not sure if I should have discarded all of those..

Because of this: the one thing it's different now is that we could narrow that list down to one song, but only if the hint about Epica is right.. Meaning: if the clue is actually about the alphabetical order in which he was listening both bands.. Although even the actual clue about this is confusing.. He said "I have never listened to When Dream and Day Unite at work." But that doesn't mean he has every DT album but that one.. That only means he doesn't have WDADU.. Moreover, even if he does have TOT on his computer, then that doesn't necessarily mean he has all the songs from it..

I guess we'll have to wait.. Just 12 days to go!..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Jinx

« Reply #961 on: January 18, 2017, 12:50:12 PM »
Having listened to ES, I'm just not sure it has enough energy in the intro to open  :-\

Offline jsbru

« Reply #962 on: January 18, 2017, 03:24:20 PM »
IF the hint was that Epica would come up alphabetically after DT, and the album's are sorted the way erwinrafael said, War/Test would fit the 25 min space (assuming bosk doesn't have SC, ToT or WDADU on his work computer). TTTSTA-Losing Time is ~25min.

But the song is less than 25 minutes.

I suppose we could re-kindle the debate as to whether 6DOIT  is one song or eight.  But I don't think Bosk really wants that.  :D
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #963 on: January 18, 2017, 03:25:38 PM »
Guys its Panic Attack.
PA > NE > SS = 25 mins
Instead of Octavarium he went to Epica. (Epic)a.

Its Panic Attack.

That reasoning seems totally arbitrary.  It could basically be any song in their library if he was skipping songs like that.  In which case, the "hint" would have no meaning at all.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #964 on: January 18, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »
Why everyone is excluding Bosk has Train of Thought in his PC? And, why is no one mentioning Endless Sacrifice?

Already been discussed.  Only two songs on ToT were played with MM, and one of them, As I Am, has been used before as an opener.

ES was the other, and was one of my top guesses, but it's nowhere near the end of that album, so Epica would not flow from that.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #965 on: January 18, 2017, 03:37:02 PM »
I haven't worked out the timing.  But if, hypothetically, I was toward the end of that song when I first posted that I was listening to "the song," and hypothetically, that album is loaded on my computer, and I then let the rest of the album play, and then it went to Epica because there are no other Dream Theater albums after "T," that would work, wouldn't it?  Hypothetically.

And, FYI, I know that song is one of the ones DCOW was considering.  But I can tell you that I have not specifically discussed the set list with her.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jsbru

« Reply #966 on: January 18, 2017, 03:40:42 PM »
I mean, it's somewhat arbitrary because we don't know exactly what albums Bosk has on his work computer, and "monster" could mean a number of different things, but a lot of you guys are guessing songs that have conclusively been eliminated (or at least made extremely unlikely) by other, more finite clues.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #967 on: January 18, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »
I haven't worked out the timing.  But if, hypothetically, I was toward the end of that song when I first posted that I was listening to "the song," and hypothetically, that album is loaded on my computer, and I then let the rest of the album play, and then it went to Epica because there are no other Dream Theater albums after "T," that would work, wouldn't it?  Hypothetically.

And, FYI, I know that song is one of the ones DCOW was considering.  But I can tell you that I have not specifically discussed the set list with her.

ES would not work out with that timing, even at the very end of the song.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #968 on: January 18, 2017, 05:12:46 PM »
EDIT: Actually, Octavarium HAS been played live with Mangini, so this could actually still be a possibility!

What?... No, it hasn't...

Oh... setlist.fm counts covers as playings of the song.  :facepalm:

ES would not work out with that timing, even at the very end of the song.

In The Name Of God 14:16|14:16
Stream Of Consciousness 11:16|25:32
Vacant 2:57|28:29
Honour Thy Father 10:12|38:41
Endless Sacrifice 11:24|50:05

So if bosk was listening to Endless Sacrifice, it'd be a minimum of 38:41 & a maximum of 50:05 before the album would be over. I.E. more than 25 minutes.

Okay, so here's what we know:
- It's a monster track
- It's a crowd pleaser
- It hasn't been opened with, but it's still not unusual to be played
- It has been played live by Mangini
- It comes in the last 25 minutes of whatever album it's on (this could mean live albums as well)
- Albums that come later in the alphabet are more likely
- It's not from WD&DU, I&W (duh), BC&SL or DT12
- There is an instrumental in the set, but we don't know if it's the opener

Right now I'm constructing a list of possibilities, I'll get back to this thread later.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #969 on: January 18, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »
Right so lets someone compile a list of songs from the album Octavarium onwards (alphabetically) that they have played with MM. And lets go from there.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #970 on: January 18, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »
....and Bosk1 has not discussed the set list with DCOW.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #971 on: January 18, 2017, 06:08:34 PM »
....and Bosk1 has not discussed the set list with DCOW.

Call me stupid but who or what is DCOW?  ???

EDIT dont worry I've worked it out haha

Offline Rushspirit2112

« Reply #972 on: January 18, 2017, 06:24:54 PM »
I'm thinking it's BAI because it's in the last 25 minutes of the album, its been played with Mangini, but it's not really a monster track that I thought of.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #973 on: January 18, 2017, 06:25:44 PM »
Based on these hints:
- It comes in the last 25 minutes of whatever album it's on (this could mean live albums as well)

Awake
- Lie
- Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
- Scarred
- Space-Dye Vest

Breaking The Fourth Wall
- Overture 1928
- Strange Deja Vu

A Dramatic Turn Of Events
- Outcry
- Far From Heaven
- Breaking All Illusions
- Beneath The Surface

Dream Theater 12 (I can't remember if bosk deconfirmed DT12 or not, so just in case he didn't...)
- Along For The Ride
- Illumination Theory

Falling Into Infinity
- Trial Of Tears

Live At Luna Park
- Build Me Up, Break Me Down
- Caught In A Web

Metropolis 2
- The Dance Of Eternity
- The Spirit Carries On
- Finally Free

Offline Rushspirit2112

« Reply #974 on: January 18, 2017, 06:29:19 PM »
Bosk, does Outcry count on that list because the song does not start in the last 25 minutes?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #975 on: January 18, 2017, 06:33:17 PM »
He hasn't denied the possibilty...

if, hypothetically, I was toward the end of that song when I first posted that I was listening to "the song," and hypothetically, that album is loaded on my computer, and I then let the rest of the album play, and then it went to Epica

Offline Jinx

« Reply #976 on: January 18, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »
Didnt we come to the conclusion it was an album toward the end of the alphabet?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: January 18, 2017, 07:10:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure Bosk mentioned at one point that songs in this thread that were mentioned will be played.  So I'm too lazy to do this, but if you cross reference the list from IDontNotDoThings with what other posters have guessed, it could limit this list. 

AKA I doubt anyone has guessed Space-Dye Vest, Beneath the Surface, Along for the Ride, or Build Me Up, Break Me Down.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #978 on: January 18, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »
Didnt we come to the conclusion it was an album toward the end of the alphabet?

I tried this with every studio & live album DT've released & all the albums in the 2nd half of the alphabet don't have songs in their last 25 minutes that fulfill the criteria.

I'm pretty sure Bosk mentioned at one point that songs in this thread that were mentioned will be played.  So I'm too lazy to do this, but if you cross reference the list from IDontNotDoThings with what other posters have guessed, it could limit this list. 

AKA I doubt anyone has guessed Space-Dye Vest, Beneath the Surface, Along for the Ride, or Build Me Up, Break Me Down.

I looked for that post all around the thread but I couldn't find it. I'm not saying it doesn't exist (because it probably does), but if you could link the post to me, we could find out for certain.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #979 on: January 18, 2017, 07:48:16 PM »
Based on these hints:

Awake
- Lie
- Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
- Scarred
- Space-Dye Vest

Breaking The Fourth Wall
- Overture 1928
- Strange Deja Vu

A Dramatic Turn Of Events
- Outcry
- Far From Heaven
- Breaking All Illusions
- Beneath The Surface

Dream Theater 12 (I can't remember if bosk deconfirmed DT12 or not, so just in case he didn't...)
- Along For The Ride
- Illumination Theory

Falling Into Infinity
- Trial Of Tears

Live At Luna Park
- Build Me Up, Break Me Down
- Caught In A Web

Metropolis 2
- The Dance Of Eternity
- The Spirit Carries On
- Finally Free

If this is still about the opening song choice, don't forget he said it was a song he said was an unusual choice to open the show with.