Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148601 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #875 on: January 15, 2017, 01:14:20 AM »
So the set is 3 hours, based on this Mangini post:

"3hr Tour Songs+foot speed practice=0 sweat. Football pass patterns w/10 yr old= sweat! 7yr old did cartwheels for 5hrs on our balance beam."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #876 on: January 15, 2017, 01:16:30 AM »
Yea, I'd say anywhere from 2 and a half to 3 hours. Since I doubt he'd say "2hr and 39 minute Tour Songs...."
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #877 on: January 15, 2017, 03:22:56 AM »
I seriously cannot wait for this. All doubts on JLBs ability to nail everything aside, the thought of finally seeing Metropolis live makes me verrry excited!

I really hope they go balls to the wall first set. It would be insane to see TDEN, PA, TGP all in the same set.

EDIT: Also bosk has stated there will be an instrumental. What are we thinking it could be? I was leaning towards the one-two of Hells Kitchen into Lines in the Sand but I know a lot of people would love Stream of Conciousness
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:32:14 AM by Jinx »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #878 on: January 15, 2017, 03:47:20 AM »
I'd love Stream of consciousness, but Erotomania is more likely.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #879 on: January 15, 2017, 03:52:49 AM »
I'd love Stream of consciousness, but Erotomania is more likely.

Especially if it segues into Voices!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #880 on: January 15, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »
no love for Ytsejam? that one could include that drumsolo bit ;-)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #881 on: January 15, 2017, 01:22:57 PM »
no love for Ytsejam? that one could include that drumsolo bit ;-)
I hope not. They already played that in the ADTOE tour and they have tons of better instrumental songs lol.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #882 on: January 15, 2017, 04:07:24 PM »
I don't believe Kevin left DT because of MP, but from what I've read, there was a lot of tension between the two of them during the first OSI sessions, and I doubt it was a coincidence that Kevin became much more reluctant to talk about DT in interviews after that.
While there was definitely tension between the two of them, I don't recall there being a significant reduction in Kev's willingness to talk about DT. From what I remember, he tried to distance himself from the band as soon as he left, and earlier on, learned to avoid addressing anything DT-related.
Exhibit A from 2000 with plenty of DT comments ;D
Point taken!  :tup
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #883 on: January 15, 2017, 06:56:10 PM »
Very interesting read:

I found this bit interesting:
"2112: Or maybe just your favorite Dream Theater album, sound-wise.

KM: I don’t know. I think the best sounding album is Images and Words. I think my sound is better on Awake, even though I hate the mix. The mix is terrible on Awake. But I like the sounds used on Awake better."

Kind of funny he feels that way because I love the production on Awake very much. It's probably my favorite DT mix.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #884 on: January 15, 2017, 07:22:03 PM »
Keyboards are low in the mix and not very present for the most part, maybe that's why he hates it. IIRC, they mixed it after Kevin announced he was leaving the band.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #885 on: January 16, 2017, 07:26:26 AM »
I used to have Kevin Moore on MSN Messenger. We used to talk about Chroma Key stuff a lot, because at the time I was hosting some videos for him on my University server. This was back in 2002-2003, I'd say.

Once I asked him if it would be possible to get an interview for the DT fanzine.

I never heard from him again.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #886 on: January 16, 2017, 07:40:19 AM »
That calls for a meme  :lol

"When you have Kevin Moore on MSN... but you ask him about DT and he blocks you"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #887 on: January 16, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »
Will see the tour on the 18th of February.

Have started listening through the albums in order of release. First two albums done... just a few left :-)

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #888 on: January 16, 2017, 11:23:33 AM »

KM: I don’t know. I think the best sounding album is Images and Words. I think my sound is better on Awake, even though I hate the mix. The mix is terrible on Awake. But I like the sounds used on Awake better."

Kind of funny he feels that way because I love the production on Awake very much. It's probably my favorite DT mix.

Oh yeah!  I love everything about Awake.  I wish he would have elaborated on what he thought was wrong with the mix.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Evai

« Reply #889 on: January 16, 2017, 12:14:55 PM »
It's a big wash of indistinct reverb, a far cry from the punchy, direct sound of IaW. (I love Awake)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #890 on: January 16, 2017, 01:21:44 PM »
Sorry if it's been asked already but I didn't catch it if it was. Will WDaDU be represented in the set? In an interview during the DT12 tour, JP mentioned that they considered "Only A Matter of Time" for that tour but it (obviously) didn't make the cut. I was wondering if it (or any song from it) might make it this time around. :)

Only a Matter of Time is on Live at Budokan, and Fortune in Lies is on Live at Luna Park, so if they play something from that album, I'd hope it would be something new.

With that said OAMOT is definitely my favorite song from that album, so...
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #891 on: January 16, 2017, 01:25:07 PM »
The Killing Hand is long overdue.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jsbru

« Reply #892 on: January 16, 2017, 01:46:51 PM »
Either TDEN or TMW/FT would be amazing openers. I'm not going to see any concerts (don't live in Europe or Asia or US), but I'm also very excited to see the setlist they're playing, hope to see many clips on youtube after the first couple shows  :D

I can't for the life of me figure out what TMW/FT stands for.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #893 on: January 16, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »

Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy

Offline jsbru

« Reply #894 on: January 16, 2017, 01:49:29 PM »
No wonder.  I was looking at their alphabetized song list, and both of those started with "Scene III," so I missed them!  :D

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #895 on: January 16, 2017, 01:50:36 PM »

Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy

:lol I should just write the full song names next time, but yes, those are the songs I meant.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jsbru

« Reply #896 on: January 16, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »
1st Set

1. The Spirit Carries On
2. The Bigger Picture -or- Surrender to Reason
3. The Glass Prison
4. Burning My Soul/Hell's Kitchen
5. Panic Attack
6. Something from WDADU -or- an earlier B-side like To Live Forever, etc.
7. A New Beginning
8. As I Am
9. Lines in the Sand
10. Our New World
11. Disappear

2nd Set - Images and Words

12. Pull Me Under
13. Another Day
14. Take the Time
15. Surrounded
16. Metropolis, Pt. 1
17. Under a Glass Moon
18. Wait for Sleep
19. Learning to Live

Encore 1

20. Raw Dog

Encore 2

21. A Change of Seasons

Other songs I wouldn't be surprised to see:
- The Enemy Inside
- Looking Glass
- Home
- On the Backs of Angels
- Forsaken
- Vacant/Stream of Consciousness

I think I only want to make a few changes to this after the other hints have been dropped:

1st Set

1. The Dark Eternal Night (not a figurative "monster" track, but the lyrics do literally say "monstrous") The Dance of Eternity
2. The Bigger Picture -or- Surrender to Reason (I'm leaning toward STR)
3. Moment of Betrayal
4. Burning My Soul/Hell's Kitchen (the Instrumental, the representation from FII)
5. The Gift of Music
6. Something from WDADU -or- an earlier B-side like To Live Forever, etc.
7. A New Beginning
8. As I Am (part of the late US tour encore)
9. Lines in the Sand (the other "epic" and part of FII, consistent with 15th anniversary of album)
10. Spirit Carries On (part of the late US tour encore)
11. Our New World

2nd Set - Images and Words

12. Pull Me Under
13. Another Day
14. Take the Time
15. Surrounded
16. Metropolis, Pt. 1
17. Under a Glass Moon
18. Wait for Sleep
19. Learning to Live

Encore 1

20. A Change of Seasons
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:51:55 PM by jsbru »

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #897 on: January 16, 2017, 04:52:12 PM »
What are the hints that Bosk has given us? (Too lazy to backtrack pages) I know he said either TBP or STR, and a few songs from TA but forget the others
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:36:09 PM by fadetoblackdude7 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #898 on: January 16, 2017, 08:02:59 PM »
He's given two hints so far!

1. I know
2. You guys don't

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #899 on: January 16, 2017, 09:58:46 PM »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jsbru

« Reply #900 on: January 16, 2017, 11:23:54 PM »
Including the encore songs from this latest Astonishing tour is my own surmising, because they really only have a month and a half to learn any new songs, and that month and a half includes the holidays, which I'm sure they spent relaxing with their families.

If MM is spending time learning ACOS, he doesn't have a ton of time to learn other new stuff.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #901 on: January 16, 2017, 11:30:48 PM »
This is Mike Mangini we're talking about. It'll take him 10 minutes per 5 seconds of song to figure out how he wants to play it.  :biggrin:

Offline dodido253

« Reply #902 on: January 17, 2017, 05:05:47 AM »
My guess for the opener would be Home - SFAM.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #903 on: January 17, 2017, 05:35:29 AM »
My guess for the opener would be Home - SFAM.

Crossing fingers for this!!! it would be a slow burn start of the show but it's not so bad thinking about it, to hear the noises at the beginning and the guys slowly appearing on stage and then full lights when they hit the "whawha!" part.

False Awakening Suite seguing into the opening riff of The Dark Eternal Night with the spotlight on Petrucci would work quite well too, but damn I dislike that song  :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #904 on: January 17, 2017, 01:45:29 PM »
The opener is a song they've already played live with Mike, and they haven't played Home with him yet. If I had to pick a SFAM song they haven't played in recent years to add to the setlist, it would be Beyond This Life.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #905 on: January 17, 2017, 04:00:16 PM »
With that said, I might be reading too much into Bosk's "Interesting" comment at either TDEN or TMW/FT being the opener.  Previously in the thread, he also said "Interesting" to Scarred, Finally Free or The Great Debate.  And confirmed that BAI would be "an unexpected, yet cool opener".  IT, TSCO, and were also guessed as the opener, but no comment in response from Bosk.

So he might be trying to throw us off.

He did say that the opener was a "monster" track though.  But not necessarily a mega-epic.  The only songs with "Monster" in the lyrics are TDEN ("monstrous"), TITL ("cast off the monsters inside"), A Tempting Offer ("You monster, leave my son alone"), A Fortune in Lies ("the heart of this monster creation"), Behind the Veil ("What kind of monster would come to feast"), and Peruvian Skies ("I'm the monster you created").  If it's not this, than it's got to be "monster" in some other way, either due to length, complexity, epic-ness, or heaviness.

We know it's not:
BTV, because BP/STR is the only song from DT12
6DOIT, because it's under 25 minutes

He didn't specifically say Mangini played it, only that it was played "recently," but that it has never been an opener.  I suppose "recently" could mean one of Portnoy's last tours, given that DT has been a band almost 30 years.

It's hard to sum up all the clues but we have:

1. Played "recently" - some people are assuming this means MM has played it, but that's not necessarily true
2. "Monster" track
3. Never opened with
4. Interesting as opener; not one Bosk would have picked "in a million years," but not one so obscure as to jump out at him right away
5. It's a "crowd pleaser"
6. Bosk was listening to at 3:58pm Pacific time, the afternoon of Wednesday, Nov. 30, and then listening to another band at 4:23pm, 25 minutes after that, and this is some how a clue, but not necessarily because it was Epica he was listening to after.
7. It's already been guessed, but we don't know by whom
8. Under 25 min. (this only eliminates one song, but it is what it is)
9. Not on I&W due to process of elimination (obviously)
10. Not on BC&SL
11. Probably not on DT12, since we know the only track from that album is BP/STR, which are sort of inconsistent with many of the other clues.
12. Probably not ACOS, because that hasn't been played recently, except for ATTSTA and Innocence, but these don't really fit in as "monster" tracks by themselves.
13. Probably not WDADU or a B-side, because that's unusual enough that Bosk wouldn't overlook it at first
14. Probably not 6DOIT, since TGP and the title track are eliminated for other reasons, and none of the others have either been played recently or are crowd pleasers.
15. Probably not on TA, as very few of those could be considered "monster" tracks, except the "monster" lyrics in ATO, which seems pretty random that they'd pick this song out of everything else on that album
15. Specifically, it's not Never Enough
1g. Specifically, it's not FAS

That's really all the clues in one place.

Either the clues are too vague, or I'm just missing something, because none of those hints really give it away to me.  There's a number of possibilities for each one.  Someone guessed it right though, perhaps randomly, perhaps not.

I do have to say that TDEN is not inconsistent with any of those.  The only one that's a stretch is "crowd pleaser," but I'm not really sure.  It has very mixed popularity on this board, but that might just be hardcore fans, and the more general fan base might love it.  I've never been at a show where they played it, though, so I can't judge the reaction.

My guess is that it's probably on Awake, FII, SFAM, TOT, Octavarium, SC, or ADTOE.  And that it's a crowd-pleasing monster track from one of these.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:31:45 PM by jsbru »

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #906 on: January 17, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
Interesting.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jsbru

« Reply #907 on: January 17, 2017, 04:14:55 PM »
Dammit!!

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #908 on: January 17, 2017, 04:18:23 PM »
1. Played "recently" - some people are assuming this means MM has played it, but that's not necessarily true.
No, it has been played since MM joined.  I think I said that, but if I didn’t, that is what I meant.
4. Interesting as opener; not one Bosk would have picked "in a million years," but not one so obscure as to jump out at him right away.
It didn’t jump out at me because it has been played recently, it has been played fairly often since its release, and it is a crowd pleaser.  But JP had just shown me the screen on his phone where he had it written, and I was reading quickly and trying to take it in, so it didn’t register that it was the opener.  It wasn’t until we had scrolled through the entire thing and he (or maybe it was Maddi?) asked me what I thought of the opener, and I had to ask him to scroll back.
6. Bosk was listening to at 3:58pm Pacific time, the afternoon of Wednesday, Nov. 30, and then listening to another band at 4:23pm, 25 minutes after that, and this is some how a clue, but not necessarily because it was Epica he was listening to after.
The fact that it was Epica is absolutely a clue, but just not in the way people were guessing.  It has nothing to do with any specific Epica song or lyrics.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #909 on: January 17, 2017, 04:28:37 PM »
To sort of restate the principle behind the clue in your #6:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=28146.msg1102967#msg1102967