Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148580 times)

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #840 on: January 13, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »
I loved the screen on the Along for the Ride tour. Was massive and everyone in the building could see them so no one really missed out. As cramx3 pointed out, the ADTOE cube things were not great.

Oh bosk one more thing - will the mighty drum solo retur  this time round? Or any songs on that setlist where Mangini could do his thing for a few minutes (as in Enigma Machine)?

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #841 on: January 13, 2017, 12:25:12 PM »
I've never been a fan of Drum solos, no matter who's playing them.  I'd rather have a song in that spot - an instrumental if they want to give James a few mins to chill. 

While we're at it guitar solos can go too!     I want to hear THE BAND  :-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #842 on: January 13, 2017, 12:26:54 PM »
I've never been a fan of Drum solos, no matter who's playing them.  I'd rather have a song in that spot - an instrumental if they want to give James a few mins to chill. 

I really like solos that set the mood, like the one JP does on score before spirit.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #843 on: January 13, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »

I really like solos that set the mood, like the one JP does on score before spirit.

Yup, I loved when DT used to do extended solo jams in intros or outros, or lengthening the solo section in the middle of a song.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #844 on: January 13, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »
The intro jams are particuarly entertaining since you're there guessing where they will lead and how the actual song will tie in.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #845 on: January 13, 2017, 12:31:34 PM »
Oh bosk one more thing - will the mighty drum solo retur  this time round? Or any songs on that setlist where Mangini could do his thing for a few minutes (as in Enigma Machine)?
I didn't see a designated spot in the set list for a drum solo.  But that said, it was a list of the songs to be played/rehearsed, so it didn't have other stuff on it that you would see in a finalized set list, such as spots where James addresses the crowd, etc.  So it could be that solo spots are indeed intended, but just weren't on the list yet at that stage.  No idea.  There is a spot in the set list where it would be logical to have an extended JP solo, if they so intend.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #846 on: January 13, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »
The intro jams are particuarly entertaining since you're there guessing where they will lead and how the actual song will tie in.

Agreed. Like you mentioned, TSCO on Score is a great example, as is HY on LaB.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #847 on: January 13, 2017, 12:38:31 PM »
The best thing about a drum solo is it gives some of us a chance for a piss break.  :tup :tup

Offline Jinx

« Reply #848 on: January 13, 2017, 12:57:16 PM »
Another thing I would like to see is something similiar to the the intermission videos on the AFTR tour. They were quite funny actually, was something to keep me entertained during the break!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #849 on: January 13, 2017, 01:05:45 PM »
Yeah, that stuff was great.  I'm not sure I would expect something like that on this tour.  Again, I think the focus may likely be on the music and "fun" aspect.  But as people are hopefully getting from the last 3 tours, the present incarnation of the band is really focused on the production side of their shows.  They love that.  So I'm sure we'll be seeing other cool things in the future.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: January 13, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »
I didn't see a designated spot in the set list for a drum solo.  But that said, it was a list of the songs to be played/rehearsed, so it didn't have other stuff on it that you would see in a finalized set list, such as spots where James addresses the crowd, etc.  So it could be that solo spots are indeed intended, but just weren't on the list yet at that stage.  No idea.  There is a spot in the set list where it would be logical to have an extended JP solo, if they so intend.

The end of A New Beginning.  But add me to the list of people who don't really like seeing the solo spots.  I have no issues with extended jams or intros/outros though.  I just want to see the band, not really someone just dominating their instrument alone.  We all know they can do it and we've all seen/heard them from previous releases.  Give me another song!  Or a band jam.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #851 on: January 13, 2017, 01:26:35 PM »

Yup, I loved when DT used to do extended solo jams in intros or outros, or lengthening the solo section in the middle of a song.

Oh yeah, I have no problem with extended intros or improvising in the middle sections, etc.   That's great and part of the greatness of DT.  I just don't care for Solos just to solo, whether it's drums, guitar or keys.

I almost ALWAYS skip the solo tracks when I am playing a live album.   (especially the CC Deville solos on Poison live albums!  yech!!)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #852 on: January 13, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »
Kevin has never spoken about it, so we don't really know.  I think the speculation is that he just didn't care too much for Mike, and that that may have been a contributing factor in him leaving and not wanting to come back and work with them again.  But we don't know that to be the case. 

From Mike's side, as far as I know, he got along fine with Kev when Kev was in the band.  But during the Awake recording sessions, as you know, Kev became distant and withdrawn.  When he then abruptly left, I think Mike sort of took it personally and felt like it was not cool the way Kev left them stranded.  The lyrics to Raise The Knife are basically Mike venting his feelings about it.

It seems that he had somewhat gotten past it.  But then years later, when he tried a couple of times to get Kev to reunite with the band for a show, and Kev declined, it seems that Mike felt like Kev was snubbing the band, and his ill feelings toward Kev were given new life. 

That's my take on it.
Honestly, I think Mebert was incorrect in implying that Kev's issues had to do with MP, so now he would be interested in a reunion with DT for a show/song...unless of course Mebert knows something he's not divulging. Do you?

Until Mebert says otherwise though, I don't think MP was the whole reason why Kev refused to reunite with DT in the past. Don't forget that MP did 2 OSI albums with Kev - if Kev had issues with MP, he wouldn't have been willing to be a part of OSI at all. And recall what Kev's response was when turning down the offer to do the show that ended up being LSFNY - something to the effect of "why would I want to play an old song just for the sake of it?" The man is clearly not into nostalgia, which is how he views the idea of reuniting with DT.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #853 on: January 13, 2017, 03:02:39 PM »
That's all very true.  Good point.  Not having followed any of Kev's work outside of DT (and not having any interest in it), I had forgotten OSI even existed, much less Mike's involvement.  But that said, Mike also said some pretty harsh things about Kev much later, after that.  And whether or not those things might be true or whether or not he was justified isn't the point; I think the point still stands that it is hard to imagine that not being a barrier to Kev coming back to play with the band while Mike was still there.  But ultimately, we don't know what is or was going through his mind.  All we can do is guess based on the info we have.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #854 on: January 13, 2017, 03:54:10 PM »
Based on what Kevin has said and based on the music he's done after he left, I'd have to think Kevin's reasons have more to do with where his head is these days.

I understand completely why he left when I first heard the music, but other than maybe Space Dye Vest there is no obvious hint of the musical direction he wanted to go in.

Obviously he kicked his decision around for a while, but I've always wondered when it was first considered (that he wanted to pursue his musical direction not necessarily his decision to leave the band.)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #855 on: January 13, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »
Oh, certainly.  From what we have to go on, that seems like the reason he left.  I'm not saying that anything between him and Mike was the reason he left.  I'm just saying that, to answer your question above, even conceding what Scotty said, some of the stuff that Mike said afterward could very well have been a barrier to him coming back again.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #856 on: January 13, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »
I don't think MP had anything to do with Kevin leaving DT.  He was growing distant from the WHOLE band including his high school buddy John Petrucci.  Didn't JP write Innocence Faded in part because of the growing distance with him and Kevin?

I also don't think MP had much to do with Kevin not wanting to reunite with DT.  I'm sure his "Kevin No Moore" comments sealed the deal about them not having much of a relationship but up to that point his relationship was pretty non-existent anyway with the exception of emailing each other once in a rare while anyway.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #857 on: January 13, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
Well, Kevin joining them for a guest spot on one of these shows would be very cool, but I don't see it ever happening. As some already said on the last few posts, Kevin isn't interested in playing the old DT songs, and that's fine tbh. However, he actually wrote lyrics for a Fates Warning song on their previous studio album (DIADL), so it would be amazing if they ever got Kevin to collaborate with lyrics on a song or two on a new DT album.

About them being still in contact, I don't think they talk too much, either, but these posts made me remember a tweet James sent to Kevin and he actually replied very open about hanging together.
Here's the link: https://twitter.com/kevnmoore/status/652556056078483456
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #858 on: January 14, 2017, 12:23:34 AM »
Sorry if it's been asked already but I didn't catch it if it was. Will WDaDU be represented in the set? In an interview during the DT12 tour, JP mentioned that they considered "Only A Matter of Time" for that tour but it (obviously) didn't make the cut. I was wondering if it (or any song from it) might make it this time around. :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline dodido253

« Reply #859 on: January 14, 2017, 02:31:39 AM »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #860 on: January 14, 2017, 06:16:41 AM »
I don't believe Kevin left DT because of MP, but from what I've read, there was a lot of tension between the two of them during the first OSI sessions, and I doubt it was a coincidence that Kevin became much more reluctant to talk about DT in interviews after that. That said, even now that MP is gone, I still find it unlikely that Kevin would suddenly want to perform with the band again, because to date he's only played one solo show and none with OSI, so live performances of any kind are clearly not high on his priority list.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #861 on: January 14, 2017, 07:11:42 AM »
https://twitter.com/ManginiMike/status/816021462188429312
Good chances for drum solo lol

Good spot. Wonder what the song could be??

Bosk my friend and knowledge keeper - could you say how many songs off of TA there are? If I was gonna whittle it down to say, 4 songs I would have:

The Gift of Music
Three Days
A New Beginning
Our New World

Which clocks in at 20 mins approx.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #862 on: January 14, 2017, 09:32:37 AM »
Still waiting for the North American dates...... :\      they said 'coming soon' quite some time ago.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #863 on: January 14, 2017, 10:38:05 AM »

Good spot. Wonder what the song could be??

Bosk my friend and knowledge keeper - could you say how many songs off of TA there are? If I was gonna whittle it down to say, 4 songs I would have:

The Gift of Music
Three Days
A New Beginning
Our New World

Which clocks in at 20 mins approx.

I'd say:

The Gift of Music
A New Beginning
Moment of Betrayal
Our New World

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #864 on: January 14, 2017, 12:37:58 PM »
Bosk my friend and knowledge keeper - could you say how many songs off of TA there are?

I don't remember.  I didn't pay close attention to that and just kind of glossed over the TA songs, since I knew there were going to be TA songs anyway.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #865 on: January 14, 2017, 12:45:09 PM »

This is purely a guess, but I'm thinking maybe it comes in the middle of Take the Time or Metropolis.  The reason I am guessing that is simply because it would provide a longer break for James during some of the more challenging material in the set, and both of those songs have instrumental passages that would lend themselves to a drum break.  But beyond that, as I said, that is purely a guess.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #866 on: January 14, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »
I was thinking at between 12.5 and 13 mins of the (unconfirmed) A Change of Seasons.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #867 on: January 14, 2017, 07:22:39 PM »
I don't believe Kevin left DT because of MP, but from what I've read, there was a lot of tension between the two of them during the first OSI sessions, and I doubt it was a coincidence that Kevin became much more reluctant to talk about DT in interviews after that.
While there was definitely tension between the two of them, I don't recall there being a significant reduction in Kev's willingness to talk about DT. From what I remember, he tried to distance himself from the band as soon as he left, and earlier on, learned to avoid addressing anything DT-related.

I was thinking at between 12.5 and 13 mins of the (unconfirmed) A Change of Seasons.
Since when does a band have a drum solo in the opening song?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Rushspirit2112

« Reply #868 on: January 14, 2017, 07:57:37 PM »
How do you know it's the opening song? That'd be pretty badass IMO.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #869 on: January 14, 2017, 11:21:38 PM »
I would rather them not throw a drum solo in the middle of a song that didn't have one originally. Drum solos are bad enough, but they can really kill the vibe of a song. Also don't want to have it stuck in a (hopefully) eventual live album. I like what they did with Enigma Machine in 2014. Something like that would be good.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #870 on: January 14, 2017, 11:53:08 PM »
If there's any song on Images where a drum solo would fit, it would be at the end of the solo in Under A Glass Moon.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #871 on: January 14, 2017, 11:54:43 PM »
Probably been mentioned, but which songs from I&W have been played with Mangini?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #872 on: January 15, 2017, 12:02:55 AM »
PMU, Metropolis. Any others?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #873 on: January 15, 2017, 12:32:35 AM »
I don't believe Kevin left DT because of MP, but from what I've read, there was a lot of tension between the two of them during the first OSI sessions, and I doubt it was a coincidence that Kevin became much more reluctant to talk about DT in interviews after that.
While there was definitely tension between the two of them, I don't recall there being a significant reduction in Kev's willingness to talk about DT. From what I remember, he tried to distance himself from the band as soon as he left, and earlier on, learned to avoid addressing anything DT-related.
Exhibit A from 2000 with plenty of DT comments ;D
Probably been mentioned, but which songs from I&W have been played with Mangini?
Everything except TTT, as far as I know.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #874 on: January 15, 2017, 12:40:38 AM »
Everything except TTT, as far as I know.

Correct. And Another Day was only played once.

How do you know it's the opening song? That'd be pretty badass IMO.

Judging from what Bosk said, I think it's the encore:

The encore was actually supposed to have been played at a show I attended in the past, but had to be cut at the last minute.