Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148545 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #735 on: January 04, 2017, 03:09:56 PM »
Bosk, just for curiosity, what part are you most excited about? seeing the whole Images and Words album, or the rest of the songs that make up the "and beyond" part? of course this is personal because it depends on how much you love i&W, how many songs off it you've already heard live etc but generally speaking, what do you think it's the not-to-miss part of the show, I&W or the rest?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #736 on: January 04, 2017, 03:19:07 PM »
There is an instrumental.  It is not Bombay Vandaloo.

gnos sdrawkcab ehT

Calling it right now.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #737 on: January 04, 2017, 03:26:14 PM »
*holds out for Moon Bubbles*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #738 on: January 04, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »

Would like to see Mangini playing Stream of Consciousness. I think there's a lot of room for changes in that song.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #739 on: January 04, 2017, 04:58:54 PM »
There is an instrumental.

Excellent news!..

Must be HK or SoC.... :azn:

UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #740 on: January 04, 2017, 05:01:41 PM »

Would like to see Mangini playing Stream of Consciousness. I think there's a lot of room for changes in that song.

As long as he doesn't change my favorite fill.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #741 on: January 04, 2017, 05:02:40 PM »
*holds out for Moon Bubbles*

It will never happen, but man would love to hear Black Ice live.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #742 on: January 04, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »
Bosk, just for curiosity, what part are you most excited about? seeing the whole Images and Words album, or the rest of the songs that make up the "and beyond" part? of course this is personal because it depends on how much you love i&W, how many songs off it you've already heard live etc but generally speaking, what do you think it's the not-to-miss part of the show, I&W or the rest?
For me, I am more excited about the "beyond" part of the set list.  Specifically, I am excited about the DT12 song and the encore--neither of which have ever been played at a show I have attended.  The encore was actually supposed to have been played at a show I attended in the past, but had to be cut at the last minute.

Believe it or not, Images doesn't really excited me all that much.  I feel like I've seen the definitive version of Pull Me Under from the recent Reno show (mosh pit included).  I've seen great versions of Metropolis and Wait for Sleep.  I can't imagine a better version of Learning To Live than the one on LSFNY, although I would still enjoy seeing it.  And as much as I love James, I'm not confident they can pull off good versions of TTT or Another Day (and I don't even like Another Day anyway).  I mean, I'm not knocking them playing I&W.  Just saying that, for my tastes, it doesn't excite me as much as the other stuff.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #743 on: January 04, 2017, 05:50:24 PM »
The encore was actually supposed to have been played at a show I attended in the past, but had to be cut at the last minute.

Didn't this happen with A Change of Seasons at some point?

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #744 on: January 04, 2017, 06:29:21 PM »
Yea.... Pretty sure that happened in 2004, and in San Fransisco (Near where Bosk lives)  :biggrin:

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #745 on: January 04, 2017, 07:40:35 PM »
And as much as I love James, I'm not confident they can pull off good versions of TTT or Another Day (and I don't even like Another Day anyway)

Not without altering some of the really high parts, at least.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #746 on: January 04, 2017, 07:54:02 PM »
I've always been of the mind that I know singers can't hit those notes so I'm ok that they,might drop tune.  I want to see a few old songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #747 on: January 04, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »
Assuming this comes to Denver, I'll be excited for I&W. It's pretty unique from other bands who do other full album tours because I've only heard one song from I&W live. With most other bands they already play a handful of songs from their most well known album at every show.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #748 on: January 04, 2017, 08:52:10 PM »
The encore was actually supposed to have been played at a show I attended in the past, but had to be cut at the last minute.

Didn't this happen with A Change of Seasons at some point?

If that's the case, that would be amazing! Also, it fits the whole IAW era celebration and all that.

Also, Bosk, we're already less than a month away from the start of the tour, are you going to drop some more info on the following days/weeks, and/or even reveal a couple songs? (with a huge SPOILER mark before)  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #749 on: January 04, 2017, 09:28:55 PM »
Wow, you guys are STILL trying to figure that out?  :lol

Okay, well, I'll say this, if it wasn't clear already:
-Some of The Astonishing will be played.  It isn't a lot.  But considering that it is their newest album, that should not be a surprise.  I honestly can't remember which tracks. 
-Of the two tracks from DT12 that have not been played thus far, one of them will be played.  Honestly, at this point, I'd tell you which one.  But I don't remember.  :lol

Also, the FII track is sorry, I won't tell you.

If you know the setlist preciselly (which I doubt) just tell us what it will be. It's not a big secret anyway. After a couple of shows, we will have a perfect idea of what we will get, starting with the european shows and then wait a couple of shows to see the changes for the north american tour. That's pretty much how it goes. No offence Bosk, just assuming that you don't necessaraly have the exact songs already chosen and for sure to be played.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #750 on: January 04, 2017, 09:32:11 PM »
I can only speak for myself, but setlist spoilers are nowhere near movie spoilers. In fact, to me setlist spoilers aren't spoilers at all. It's like being handed the evening program when you walk into a classical concert.

:tup

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #751 on: January 04, 2017, 09:34:36 PM »
Which is?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #752 on: January 04, 2017, 09:39:41 PM »
I do like to know the setlist. But for weeks I avoid listening to the band so I will be starving for it. And for today's cost of an evening to a concert, I want to have a pretty good idea of what's in it. That's why I follow the band concerts on setlist.com

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #753 on: January 04, 2017, 09:49:42 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jsbru

« Reply #754 on: January 04, 2017, 10:02:08 PM »
I'm calling it now, Hell's Kitchen is the instrumental.  ACOS is the encore.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #755 on: January 04, 2017, 11:39:56 PM »

Nice, so my setlist prediction is still on track.  :lol

Given that I am sticking to my guess that the opening is The Great Debate based on bosk's clues, that there is at least one FII song, either StR or TBP would be played, at least 3 Astonishing songs, here is the set I came up with:

Set 1:
The Great Debate (the unexpected opener)
The Gift of Music
The Root of all Evil (crowd pleaser)
Chosen
Surrender to Reason (the song not played before)
A New Beginning
Hell's Kitchen/Lines in the Sand (the first monster track)
Our New World

Set 2:
Pull Me Under
Another Day
Take the Time
Surrounded
Metropolis Pt. 1
Under a Glass Moon
Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live

Encore:
A Change of Seasons (the second monster track)

18 songs. around 2 and a half hours just like BTFW.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #756 on: January 05, 2017, 06:56:32 AM »
I thought there were 3 tracks from DT12 that were not played, 3 in a row in fact, The Bigger Picture, Behind The Veil and Surrender to Reason.  I think TBP and BTV are two standout easily accessible tracks on DT12 so can never understand why they weren't played.  Would love to hear both of them before STR, although that is still a decent song.  Still got my fingers crossed for ACOS and getting more excited based on what has been said recently.  I notice MP's forum has banned all discussion of Dream Theater now after people were discussing DT playing ACOS and whether it was ok to play it in MP's absence taking into account the subject matter.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #757 on: January 05, 2017, 06:57:41 AM »
Which is?

6:30

Could it be any other fill? As soon as you said that, it was the first one I thought of  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #758 on: January 05, 2017, 07:04:03 AM »
I've always been of the mind that I know singers can't hit those notes so I'm ok that they,might drop tune.  I want to see a few old songs.

Has anyone ever checked whether they already do this? I certainly don't have perfect pitch, so I wouldn't be able to tell if they already dropped a song or two by a full note.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #759 on: January 05, 2017, 07:08:36 AM »

Has anyone ever checked whether they already do this? I certainly don't have perfect pitch, so I wouldn't be able to tell if they already dropped a song or two by a full note.

DT? Nope.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #760 on: January 05, 2017, 07:18:44 AM »
No they haven't but I'd be OK with it.  Father Time always wins and I go in knowing that the singers jut can't do what they did in their 20's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #761 on: January 05, 2017, 07:25:49 AM »
I thought there were 3 tracks from DT12 that were not played, 3 in a row in fact, The Bigger Picture, Behind The Veil and Surrender to Reason.  I think TBP and BTV are two standout easily accessible tracks on DT12 so can never understand why they weren't played.  Would love to hear both of them before STR, although that is still a decent song.  Still got my fingers crossed for ACOS and getting more excited based on what has been said recently.  I notice MP's forum has banned all discussion of Dream Theater now after people were discussing DT playing ACOS and whether it was ok to play it in MP's absence taking into account the subject matter.

BTV has been played in the 30th anniversary shows.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #762 on: January 05, 2017, 07:55:44 AM »
If you know the setlist preciselly (which I doubt) just tell us what it will be. It's not a big secret anyway.
Don't doubt it.  Getting it straight from JP himself is a pretty good sign.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #763 on: January 05, 2017, 08:13:24 AM »
Also, Bosk, we're already less than a month away from the start of the tour, are you going to drop some more info on the following days/weeks, and/or even reveal a couple songs? (with a huge SPOILER mark before)  :biggrin:

Yes.

If you know the setlist preciselly (which I doubt) just tell us what it will be. It's not a big secret anyway.

I was shown the exact, entire set list.  So, from that perspective, I do know exactly what will be played, as well as the song order (assuming they do not alter the set list).  That said, as I have already mentioned, I did not write it down and do not remember all of it.  And I didn't write it down because, first off, it would have been tacky, given the context of JP being excited about it and offering to let me in on the big "secret" that, at the time, they had just decided only a few days before.  And second, I just didn't want to.  We'll all know the specifics sooner or later.  There really isn't any need for me to have written down all the specifics.  I remember most of it, but not all.  So I couldn't tell you the entire set list even if I wanted to. 

That said, I also don't want to.  Not that I want to deliberately hide things from you guys.  But it was something that was shared with me in confidence.  JP was truly excited to let me in on it.  And he gave me pretty wide latitude to share some things to generate excitement and let you guys in on it as well.  But even though he didn't specifically say not to share the entire set list, he didn't need to--it is pretty self-explanatory that, while he said I could share some things to generate excitement, that would not include posting the entire set list from start to finish.  That just isn't going to happen, for what should be obvious reasons.  I'm glad almost everybody seems to understand that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #764 on: January 05, 2017, 08:18:21 AM »
No they haven't but I'd be OK with it.  Father Time always wins and I go in knowing that the singers jut can't do what they did in their 20's.

I for sure would be fine with it. A step down barely makes any difference in terms of the overall music, but if it means James not struggling, I'm all for it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #765 on: January 05, 2017, 08:25:55 AM »
It really depends on the song.  I have heard plenty of bands tune down, and it sounds fine.  Others, not so much.  I can even think of an example of one show where some songs in the same show sounded fine while others sounded off.  Tesla starting downtuning a lot of their songs a few years back to compensate for Jeff Keith losing some of his range.  When I saw them a few years back, a friend pointed out during the show that they were tuning down on some songs.  I hadn't even noticed.  But then they got to Edison's Medicine, and it sounded horrible.  Just muddy and plodding, and tuning it down somehow just sucked all the energy and life from it.  I couldn't tell you sonically why it works for some songs and not others.  But it really can have a bad effect on some songs.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #766 on: January 05, 2017, 08:29:33 AM »
It might depend on how you go about the downtuning. If you actually tune all the strings down and then play the regular frets on the strings, that's probably fine. But if you instead use a regularly tuned guitar and for example instead of a regular Em (which is mostly open strings) instead play a bar Dm on the 5th fret, that will majorly affect the sound.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #767 on: January 05, 2017, 11:55:29 AM »
It might depend on how you go about the downtuning. If you actually tune all the strings down and then play the regular frets on the strings, that's probably fine. But if you instead use a regularly tuned guitar and for example instead of a regular Em (which is mostly open strings) instead play a bar Dm on the 5th fret, that will majorly affect the sound.

I think downtuning the guitar is a given in such cases, otherwise the musicians would have to relearn all the material in a different way.
It's actually quite admirable that DT still keep the original tuning, most of the other bands of the same era have downtuned, Fates Warning for example have been dropping their tuning live, and it sounds pretty great. Iron Maiden also play a step lower live, and it also sounds fine.

On the other hand, personally i think it would sound weird for DT, since i've been used to the original version being played live and i think it would confuse my ears a little bit.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #768 on: January 05, 2017, 12:52:05 PM »
Bosk can you say whether this will be one static setlist throughout? Or a couple that can be rotated (like on the ADTOE tour)

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #769 on: January 05, 2017, 12:52:26 PM »
I think that it's good if they downtune some songs.  I prefer that than seeing JLB struggle and sounding badly while trying to reach a high note.  And thank you Bosk for the explanation about the setlist.