Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148501 times)

Offline V_R11

Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #595 on: December 08, 2016, 12:32:53 PM »
I am looking forward to the material up-to-and-including FII, as well as post-FII.

So...everything. :lol  :biggrin:

Well...yes.  :lol  But what I was getting at was that there is really cool stuff on both sides of FII that will be getting played.

Anything cool from FII?

I really want Peruvian Skies
Seasons change and so can I

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #596 on: December 08, 2016, 12:53:11 PM »
I am looking forward to the material up-to-and-including FII, as well as post-FII.

So...everything. :lol  :biggrin:

Well...yes.  :lol  But what I was getting at was that there is really cool stuff on both sides of FII that will be getting played.

Anything cool from FII?

I really want Peruvian Skies

Again?.. ;D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdBeeph0aFM

I'd prefer HK instead, although I assume they're going to play more than one song from FII..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #597 on: December 08, 2016, 02:26:15 PM »
But from FII FII or demo FII? (or both?) :biggrin:

99,9% it will be FII, I'd daresay Portnoy was the only one interested in the deep cuts and the alternate / demo versions.

And personally, I'm not longing to listen to Burning My Soul only for the song to stop in the middle to play the least interesting half of Hell's Kitchen.

With the exception of Raise the Knife, I don't care too much about the FII demos either, I was just asking to see if Bosk gave us some more details about it  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jsbru

« Reply #598 on: December 08, 2016, 03:08:04 PM »
He did narrow it down slightly.  Now we know there's at least one FII song.  That was sort of apparent anyway, as it's the 20th anniversary, but now we know for sure.

There's not going to be a TON of room for other stuff in the first set, because we already have at least 3 songs from TA and at least one from FII (although I'd bank on possibly two).  So there's likely to be more than one album with no representation at all.  BC&SL was one that we already know won't have any.

I still think there's a strong possibility of STR and/or TBP.  My guess is at least one, but possibly both.  Once you factor all that in, there's only 3-5 more songs to be accounted for, depending on whether there's an epic or not.  I don't think there will be much from Awake, since a lot of that has been played recently.  Although  it's been sort of a while since we've seen Erotomania/Voices.  I feel like there's got to be at least from MP2.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #599 on: December 09, 2016, 01:06:21 AM »
I think I know what the opening song is.

A crowd pleaser - so most likely in DT Division 1
Never played as an opener before
Played recently - so it's been played by Mangini BUT
A monster track - that needs to be transcribed by Mangini, so it is difficult to play on the drums
Bosk1 listens to Windows Media Player, which arranges albums based on alphabetical order
DT and Epica both have an album named Score
Epica's Score comes in 25 minutes after bosk1 listens to the song
The last song in DT's Score audio CD is Octavarium. But it's not played in recent years.
So it's not DT's Score audio CD. It's an audio rip of DT's Score DVD
What song comes in in the last 25 minutes of DT's Score DVD?

THE GREAT DEBATE

Which is why bosk hinted he is listening to it right now. It also means he's listening to the DTF faithful having a great debate on what the opening song is. :lol
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:53:41 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #600 on: December 09, 2016, 05:10:00 AM »
If I remember correctly, JP said in some interview (or to someone here on DTF) that, at the last tour they played TGD, this song always had a cold reception from the crowd. So I guess DT will not open with that one. In fact, because of this, I guess DT will never play TGD live again, at least at a "regular" show, not celebreting any 6 Degrees anniversary.
I think they will not open with any of the 2 monsters songs mentioned by Mangini. These 2 songs were recently transcribed by him, right? According to Bosk,  the opener it's a song already played by Mangini ("played in recent tours").
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #601 on: December 09, 2016, 05:12:28 AM »
I hope it's Breaking All Illusions, I don't want them to open with The Dark Eternal Night... or to play it ever again at the shows I will attend  ;D

Maybe it's Illumination Theory, but my of course unsustained guess is that DT12 will be represented by the "missing" songs, The Bigger Picture and Surrender to Reason.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #602 on: December 09, 2016, 06:24:00 AM »
I hope it's Breaking All Illusions, I don't want them to open with The Dark Eternal Night... or to play it ever again at the shows I will attend  ;D

I find TDEN to be incredibly boring.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: December 09, 2016, 01:10:51 PM »

I find TDEN to be incredibly boring.

I wouldn't say boring, but I'm not a big fan of the song.  I'd be fine if they did not play this at anymore DT shows I attend having seen it at least 3 times.

Maybe they open with Learning to Live and are actually playing Images and Words backwards? 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #604 on: December 09, 2016, 01:11:47 PM »
But Bosk said it was a song they've never opened with, right?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: December 09, 2016, 01:14:16 PM »

They've opened with Learning to Live before?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #606 on: December 09, 2016, 01:27:13 PM »
Maybe they open with Learning to Live and are actually playing Images and Words backwards?

That actually might be really cool.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #607 on: December 09, 2016, 01:33:18 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: December 09, 2016, 01:37:03 PM »

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=30775.0

Figured it would be from the good ole days.  That'd be an interesting opener though.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #609 on: December 09, 2016, 01:43:29 PM »

Figured it would be from the good ole days.  That'd be an interesting opener though.

Don't think that's a good idea, though. LTL is one of those songs that could be used for the climax of the show. If you start with it, how do you even top that or mantain that momentum going through the rest of the set?  :eek
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:49:20 PM by gzarruk »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: December 09, 2016, 01:47:16 PM »

Don't think that's a good idea, though. LTL is one of those songs that could be used for the climax of the song. If you start with it, how do you even top that or mantain that momentum going through the rest of the set?  :eek

While I agree with your point, the ending of such a set would be PMU which is also another climax type of song since it's a popular one.  DT have plenty of good climax hitting songs though.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #611 on: December 09, 2016, 01:51:42 PM »
While I agree with your point, the ending of such a set would be PMU which is also another climax type of song since it's a popular one.  DT have plenty of good climax hitting songs though.

Of course they can pull it and it would end up being good, I just don't think it would be the best move. It's like using your hidden ace at the start of the game. You can, but you probably shouldn't  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: December 09, 2016, 01:56:46 PM »
Yea, being that LtL is my favorite DT song, I'd rather it be at the end personally too

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #613 on: December 09, 2016, 02:46:29 PM »
I still think there's a strong possibility of STR and/or TBP.  My guess is at least one, but possibly both.

my of course unsustained guess is that DT12 will be represented by the "missing" songs, The Bigger Picture and Surrender to Reason.

Actually, one of those songs WILL BE played, Bosk already confirmed that... although he apparently forgot which one.. :justjen

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #614 on: December 14, 2016, 08:55:03 PM »
Given that I am sticking to my guess that the opening is The Great Debate based on bosk's clues, that there is at least one FII song, either StR or TBP would be played, at least 3 Astonishing songs, here is the set I came up with:

Set 1:
The Great Debate (the unexpected opener)
The Gift of Music
The Root of all Evil (crowd pleaser)
Chosen
Surrender to Reason (the song not played before)
A New Beginning
Hell's Kitchen/Lines in the Sand (the first monster track)
Our New World

Set 2:
Pull Me Under
Another Day
Take the Time
Surrounded
Metropolis Pt. 1
Under a Glass Moon
Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live

Encore:
A Change of Seasons (the second monster track)

18 songs. around 2 and a half hours just like BTFW.

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #615 on: December 15, 2016, 09:21:31 AM »
So UK dates have been announced, I've been checking relentlessly cos I had this feeling they might do my home city Cardiff and it turns they are playing here. The idea of seeing Images and Words performed 10 minutes down the road with me was so exciting.

But I'm not going.

My friends and I had a group chat (7 of us). We all loved DT as teenagers (some of us still listen to the band, others seldom) but - despite the fact we all think I&W is great and loved the idea of having a big social night out together - we've decided to pass.

1) Ticket prices are extortionate. Compared to what I paid for the likes of King Crimson, Steven Wilson, Snarky Puppy etc in the same city they're having a laugh if they think they - especially with JLB's unpredictable vocals - are worth that.

As a comparison, Peter Gabriel played the same venue a year ago... much bigger band, his usual excellent visuals and stage show... half the price. I cannot get my head around it.

2) It's seated. In the Motorpoint Arena. Seated in one of ours theaters would have felt intimate and nice - but seated in the Motorpoint is cold, stale and a very underwhelming experience.

My friends and I wanted to be able to cluster round in a little gang, have a sing-song and drinks together, be able to go out and have a cig when there's maybe a song we've seen before etc. Seated in the Motorpoint takes all that experience away.

So yeah, we're not going. I'm genuinely quite sad but it's really about value for money. We all said that if tickets were around £40 before booking fees we would have gone. DT have lost out on £280 worth of ticket sales... and to be honest I imagine many more fans around my age (28) will feel exactly the same.

Cardiff also has a strong metal scene but a lot of the metallers who might have attended as casual fans will not do a seated gig either... it's a fairly big venue the Motorpoint so good luck DT...

(Edit: just in case a pendant tries to get me, there are a small amount of cheap seats around the £40 mark but that doesn't change anything, I'd expect all seats to be around that and even then would massivly prefer standing for that price).
I walk beside Dream Theater.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #616 on: December 15, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »
I am also concerned about prices, as I am not exactly flowing in the dough.

However, I haven't seen DT since 1999 (saw them about 20 times during the 90's and then I was locked up from '01 til '13).   I would have to get permission to go, so I didn't ask to see the last tour since I am not fond of The Astonishing.

However, when they play Long Island - which I am sure they will do - I will go.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #617 on: December 15, 2016, 02:13:14 PM »
DT doesn't set the ticket prices. DT sets the price for the show. It's up to the tour booker/promoter to fit the price into the venue they've chosen. If the tour booker decides they want to book a 2000 seater, and have to charge twice of that of which they would've charged for a 4000 seater, then thats their choice.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #618 on: December 15, 2016, 03:11:02 PM »
I would assume also the venue itself has a fee for booking it that influences the price.

There's a local folk artist that I follow, I saw him in two still medium-big places (venues played by Avantasia and Alice Cooper) and the ticket was 20 euros, when he played the same basket arena that DT always play the ticket was 32 euro, and next year he will play in the Meazza Stadium and the price is around 50 euros. Eeek.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #619 on: December 15, 2016, 03:34:48 PM »
Like someone else said, we probably won't be hearing The Great Debate again live. 

They actually took it out of the ADTOE set because they felt it wasn't getting a good reception.  Thank god I saw them before they took it out as it was one of the highlights.  The Happy Holidays version is also incredible.  So thankful we got a live version of that released (and for freeeeeee!)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #620 on: December 15, 2016, 06:41:00 PM »
Like someone else said, we probably won't be hearing The Great Debate again live. 

They actually took it out of the ADTOE set because they felt it wasn't getting a good reception.  Thank god I saw them before they took it out as it was one of the highlights.  The Happy Holidays version is also incredible.  So thankful we got a live version of that released (and for freeeeeee!)

I envy you. Sucks that so few others appreciate TGD.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #621 on: December 15, 2016, 08:01:18 PM »
Ticket prices are extortionate. Compared to what I paid for the likes of King Crimson, Steven Wilson, Snarky Puppy etc in the same city they're having a laugh if they think they - especially with JLB's unpredictable vocals - are worth that.

They are worth that, and more than that too.. If you don't have the money, now that's another thing.. And I've been there.. Two years ago I didn't have enough money and the ticket was, indeed, too much expensive for me.. Fortunately my brother bought me the ticket, and it was the best show I've ever seen on a stage of any kind..

About James' performance, I can't really complain either.. He was fine in most of the times I went to see them, and especially outstanding in that AFTR show, and well... in LaLP :angel:..

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #622 on: December 15, 2016, 09:59:02 PM »

Funny thing is, I really didn't appreciate it until shortly before the tour.  I always skipped that song.  I can't remember what finally got me into it.  I think I may have cheated and looked at the set or maybe I just had it on the background and it was too inconvenient to skip and it just finally clicked. 

Either way, DT were right about the cold reception but damn it, I tuned out the bad reception and focused on an amazing performance of an amazing song. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #623 on: December 15, 2016, 10:15:51 PM »

Funny thing is, I really didn't appreciate it until shortly before the tour.  I always skipped that song.  I can't remember what finally got me into it.  I think I may have cheated and looked at the set or maybe I just had it on the background and it was too inconvenient to skip and it just finally clicked. 

Either way, DT were right about the cold reception but damn it, I tuned out the bad reception and focused on an amazing performance of an amazing song.

TGD is my favorite song from SDOIT. Would be really sad if they never play it again  :'(

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #624 on: December 15, 2016, 11:35:24 PM »
My friends and I had a group chat (7 of us). We all loved DT as teenagers (some of us still listen to the band, others seldom) but - despite the fact we all think I&W is great and loved the idea of having a big social night out together - we've decided to pass.

1) Ticket prices are extortionate. Compared to what I paid for the likes of King Crimson, Steven Wilson, Snarky Puppy etc in the same city they're having a laugh if they think they - especially with JLB's unpredictable vocals - are worth that.

My friends and I wanted to be able to cluster round in a little gang, have a sing-song and drinks together, be able to go out and have a cig when there's maybe a song we've seen before etc. Seated in the Motorpoint takes all that experience away.

So yeah, we're not going. I'm genuinely quite sad but it's really about value for money. We all said that if tickets were around £40 before booking fees we would have gone. DT have lost out on £280 worth of ticket sales... and to be honest I imagine many more fans around my age (28) will feel exactly the same.

Cardiff also has a strong metal scene but a lot of the metallers who might have attended as casual fans will not do a seated gig either... it's a fairly big venue the Motorpoint so good luck DT...

It's the interesting thing about it.  Alter Bridge recently headlined at Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff with a four-band bill and they were charging around 30-35 pounds and that was roughly the price for 6-7 arenas in their UK tour and from what I hear that didn't sell too greatly (far from a flop, but it wasn't a "great" success, but that could be blamed with the oversaturation of big bands touring the UK around the autumn).  Though, I heard one guy from Ultimate-Guitar making a comment where even though they sold all the tickets out for their show in the O2 Arena in London, there were loads of tickets in secondary market sites that was charging in the three digits.

I don't think DT though would have any issues regarding secondary market sales where people are putting ticket prices in three digits though I do hear some grumblings in areas like the Download Festival (probably the biggest hard rock/heavy metal festival in the UK) Forum that was also complaining about the steep-ish price that could turn off casual fans from attending this thing (even if they like Images and Words).  Don't know what the promoters were thinking about setting this price though.  It's been that sort of price in the last few tours as well.  Do they really expect fans to pay that much for a band with the popularity like DT even if they are going three hours a night?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #625 on: December 16, 2016, 02:30:47 AM »
There's also the danger of being perceived as a nostalgia act by the general public when you start touring for an old album of yours and charge exorbitant prices.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #626 on: December 16, 2016, 04:34:36 AM »
DT is having -5- concerts in norway in february. One of those concerts is in the venue they usually play.

This is not good...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #627 on: December 16, 2016, 04:55:09 AM »
There's also the danger of being perceived as a nostalgia act by the general public when you start touring for an old album of yours and charge exorbitant prices.

As long as a band continues to release new music that nostalgic tours are ok.  When you don't come out with music in 10 years and still tour, that's when it feels nostalgic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: December 16, 2016, 05:10:52 AM »
Definitivt a nostalgia act... the last tour was just one album in it's entirity  ::)

Offline Estiui

« Reply #629 on: December 16, 2016, 05:33:13 AM »
Barcelona confirmed, YESSSSS  :hefdaddy

New theory about bosk's messages: he was listening to the song before Epica, so it's a song that precedes an epic.  :laugh: