Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148552 times)

Offline thosava

Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #455 on: December 01, 2016, 03:11:09 PM »
Bosk can you say something about if the opener has been mentioned by anyone in this thread recently?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #456 on: December 01, 2016, 03:20:33 PM »
Bosk can you say something about if the opener has been mentioned by anyone in this thread recently?

Someone posted a list of ALL the songs Mangini played with the band. So by default yes, it has been posted  ;D

I would say it's one of the epics they've played live with him, like IT, BAI or even Outcry

Nothing is set in stone but I think we can be quite sure that finally the time for The Bigger Picture and Surrender to Reason has come. That with at least a big epic and stuff from The Astonishing and all the rest makes me doubt that they're gonna go overkill on DT12 and play Illumination Theory as well.

My bet is on Breaking all Illusions. But I don't wanna know, I want at most suspect it and go "Yeah, I was right!" at my concert but I don't wanna fully know.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jsbru

« Reply #457 on: December 01, 2016, 03:21:20 PM »
I would say it's one of the epics they've played live with him, like IT, BAI or even Outcry

Could be.  I could see a set with BAI, TOT/LOTS, and ACOS for an encore.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #458 on: December 01, 2016, 03:26:15 PM »
I can pretty much guarantee someone is going to figure it out based on my last clue, so I'm not saying anything else.  There is more than enough to piece together exactly which song it is, so I'm not going to give any more away.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online goo-goo

« Reply #459 on: December 01, 2016, 03:41:32 PM »
The opener is definitely a monster track.

The Dark Eternal Knight RRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!

*(since it's a monster track  :rollin)

Offline thosava

« Reply #460 on: December 01, 2016, 03:51:49 PM »
I'm gonna guess Enigma Machine for now. Certainly works as an energetic and never before played opener. And i saw that epica had an album called something with enigma. But i do think it might be something more epic (longer).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #461 on: December 01, 2016, 03:52:31 PM »

Okay, well now you're just being silly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #462 on: December 01, 2016, 03:54:37 PM »

:lol I actually thought of TDEN befor Bosk posted that. It fits all the conditions, Mangini loves it, and, he just mentioned it on a FB a couple days ago (as an example, I know, but the fact that he remembered it first is not a coincidence, imo)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #463 on: December 01, 2016, 04:26:26 PM »
My money is on TDEN. JP loves that song too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #464 on: December 01, 2016, 05:29:14 PM »
they have 3 album anniversaries to cover (IAW, SDOIT, SC) + a few TA songs + monster songs + TBP/STR + B-sides... they just can't fit everything into it  :-\

But I was guessing that one of those "monster songs" (or probably the two of them) could be from any of those albums.. TGP and LitS, e.g., are both epic and hard songs to play for any mortal.. Besides, I'm not counting SC, because I don't know if they've ever celebrated a 10th anniversary of an album before.. I wouldn't do that, especially if you're already celebrating three anniversaries more..

Having said all that, they've done several 3 hour shows and "an evening with" so I don't think time would be a problem for them.. :lol

DT has so much good material that, even with a 3 hour set, they can't fit all the songs they would like to  :lol
As an example, I remember Petrucci saying they wanted to include Only a Matter of Time on the AFTR tour, but couldn't because they were already playing too much stuff  :'(

lol.. I know that.. I was talking about the hypotetical show you brought.. They can easily play all that.. It's actually way less than three hours, and I repeat that I don't see why SC should be in the list..
I also remember JP or some other DT member saying they couldn't play much long songs because that would imply less quantity of pieces to play.. But then again, I don't see the problem in this particular tour, even when I&W, the TA songs, the monster songs and the two other anniversaries..

Nothing is set in stone but I think we can be quite sure that finally the time for The Bigger Picture and Surrender to Reason has come. That with at least a big epic and stuff from The Astonishing and all the rest makes me doubt that they're gonna go overkill on DT12 and play Illumination Theory as well.

My bet is on Breaking all Illusions. But I don't wanna know, I want at most suspect it and go "Yeah, I was right!" at my concert but I don't wanna fully know.

How would be more overkill playing IT than playing BAI??.. :huh:
They've played BAI a lot more than IT, and throughout different tours, while IT was only played on the AFTR tour..

I hope that if they're gonna play something from ADToE it's everything but OtBoA, BitS and BAI..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #465 on: December 01, 2016, 06:46:52 PM »
How would be more overkill playing IT than playing BAI??.. :huh:
They've played BAI a lot more than IT, and throughout different tours, while IT was only played on the AFTR tour..

I hope that if they're gonna play something from ADToE it's everything but OtBoA, BitS and BAI..

I would love it if it was LNF or Outcry or even TITL. So much good songs on ADTOE to pick from  ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #466 on: December 01, 2016, 06:51:28 PM »

Thinking IPTOE.... Now that would be totally unexpected.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #467 on: December 01, 2016, 11:22:14 PM »
Thinking that Bosk's clue about the opener being a "monster" track may be a reference to the Peruvian Skies lyric. If by chance Peruvian Skies is the opener, perhaps DT is starting the show with a FII suite like the Awake and SFAM suites from the AFTR tour.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #468 on: December 01, 2016, 11:23:13 PM »
My bets on TDOE.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #469 on: December 01, 2016, 11:44:52 PM »
I would bet too on Peruvian Skies as in the lyrics there is "I'm the monster you created". Plus, it has already been played by Mangini and it has never been an opener (if I do remember well). And I think it's a crowd pleaser (I love the Metallica-like riffs and the Pink Floyd mood)

Edit : bosk1 said he was listening to Epica and the first singer of Epica had a band called... Trail of Tears (not trial I know but it could be a clue?)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:50:29 PM by the keyboard wizard »
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline V_R11

« Reply #470 on: December 02, 2016, 12:15:44 AM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but will the setlist be 100% same throughout the whole tour?
Seasons change and so can I

Offline jsbru

« Reply #471 on: December 02, 2016, 12:42:49 AM »
TDEN makes sense with respect to the "monster" song because of the lyrics, as well as most of the other criteria, but I don't see how it fits in with the Epica hint.

We know it's not Never Enough (no way they open the show with a song about how their fans suck  ;) ).  But Epica also has a song called Caught in a Web.  DT did play that on the ADTOE tour.  Not sure how that's "monster" though.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #472 on: December 02, 2016, 01:05:51 AM »
Personally I'd prefer Never Enough over The Dark Eternal Night, both as an opener and in general. While it slightly gets better live, I never ever liked the song and I think it's worse than You Not me when it comes to "try something different".

Lucky ones those who like the song, they have 9 minutes more of DT discography to enjoy  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #473 on: December 02, 2016, 01:36:13 AM »
Played in last 5 years, Never opened with, non-obvious "opener" choice, crowd pleaser, not on BC&SL, under 25 min (lol), definite "monster track", plus Epica hint....

Makes me want to narrow down the list to:

-Peruvian Skies (because of monster lyric? but does that make it a monster track?)
-Trial of Tears (I don't see this being a good opener)
-The Dance of Eternity
-Endless Sacrifice
-The Dark Eternal Night
-Lost Not Forgotten
-Outcry
-Breaking All Illusions
-Illumination Theory

Also, the "I am listening to it right now" hint was posted as post #397 in the thread... Any coincidence track 3 on 1997's FII says "monster" in the lyric, and falls under every category that was hinted??

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #474 on: December 02, 2016, 01:58:12 AM »
See, the reason I would guess Peruvian Skies over The Dark Eternal Night is because TDOE isn't exactly hard for me to picture as an opener. It's a high energy metal track that begins with an in-your-face guitar riff.
Sure, TDOE may not be a predictable opening song, but Bosk has hinted that he wouldn't have imagined the opener for this upcoming tour.  IMO, Peruvian Skies better fits this description. Just my guess, though.

Offline thosava

« Reply #475 on: December 02, 2016, 02:02:23 AM »
It could be Peruvian Skies, but i'm not betting on it. It was only played 15 times in 2011, and once in 2010 (and before that it was in 2006). I don't know if that qualifies as a crowd pleaser in recent years. I don't think it would work well as an opener either as it's very calm in the first few minutes. And i don't know why Petrucci would ask Bosk specifically about what he though about Peruvian Skies as an opener. But it would fit the criteria of "Monster Track" if it just means that the word monster is mentioned in the lyrics.

I think the clue monster track is the most important, as he said that someone would be guaranteed to figure it out based on that last clue.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:26:46 AM by thosava »

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #476 on: December 02, 2016, 02:29:47 AM »
Whoops, for some reason I thought Peruvian Skies had been played more than that. Agreed on the monster clue.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #477 on: December 02, 2016, 02:49:41 AM »
That's why I'd go for IT, BAI, or my absolute favorite option, Outcry.

If it's IT I can totally imagine that first chord with the drum roll and lighting and the way everyone cheers as soon as it starts, and Live Die Kill being the big vocal enterance... but I can't imagine James nailing Persuite of Truth at all in the early side of the set. Maybe...

BAI would be amazing of course, but Outcry would just make for the most glorious and insane, unexpected opener, and the song has every element of classic DT.

Offline thosava

« Reply #478 on: December 02, 2016, 02:54:59 AM »
I was thinking about Outcry as well. It fits the monster track clue, if monster track means a longer song. It also fits monster track in lyrical content as it's about a revolution against a dictator or tyrant (often described as monsters). It's also certainly epic sounding, if the clue about epica was just that the song was epic. It's unexpected, but i could see it working very well as an opener!

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #479 on: December 02, 2016, 03:20:14 AM »
Bosk said he thought someone would figure out the opener based on the monster clue. While Outcry would be a cool opener, I don't that the monster connection there would be that strong of a giveaway, if that makes sense.
 I also got the impression that the Epica connection doesn't necessarily mean that the track is an "epic", because Bosk hinted that the connection wasn't quite that obvious. Just my $0.02, though.
Personally, I'd dig Outcry as an opener.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #480 on: December 02, 2016, 03:23:54 AM »
I Am The Killing HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline krands85

« Reply #481 on: December 02, 2016, 04:57:13 AM »
With all this frenzied discussion about what the opener might be, it would be amazing if he was just trolling us all with fake hints  :lol
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #482 on: December 02, 2016, 09:14:49 AM »

Thinking IPTOE.... Now that would be totally unexpected.

But they have opened with that one before... Still:

With all this frenzied discussion about what the opener might be, it would be amazing if he was just trolling us all with fake hints  :lol

Ikr.. :lol

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #483 on: December 02, 2016, 09:23:11 AM »
Breaking all illusions.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #484 on: December 02, 2016, 10:27:36 AM »
DT is totally opening the show with Free Bird.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #485 on: December 02, 2016, 10:31:31 AM »
ITPOE would be a cool opening song. Killer intro, and it's an all around cool song and it's an 'epic'.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #486 on: December 02, 2016, 11:52:16 AM »
TDEN would be so underwhelming. Please play something great, this is a celebration of I&W after all.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #487 on: December 02, 2016, 11:57:07 AM »
DT is totally opening the show with Free Bird.

Whipping Post the 73'd, 26 minute version.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jsbru

« Reply #488 on: December 02, 2016, 12:06:48 PM »
TITL also talks about "cast[ing] off the monsters inside."

Don't see how that relates to Epica, either, but I thought I'd just throw that out there.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #489 on: December 02, 2016, 12:20:17 PM »
ITPOE would be a cool opening song. Killer intro, and it's an all around cool song and it's an 'epic'.....

It would be cool indeed.. But it's not.. Check this:

Bosk, have they EVER opened with this song before?

Opened?  No.  And I think the reason it didn't register is that it has been played in recent years, and I knew it is a crowd pleaser.  So despite it being in the #1 slot, I just skimmed right past it without thinking.

And... just in case: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2009/stadio-brianteo-monza-italy-23d67023.html
Plus, they haven't played any part of ItPoE in recent years.. So it's not that one..

If he's not playing with us :lol, the opener is among these songs:

Played in last 5 years, Never opened with, non-obvious "opener" choice, crowd pleaser, not on BC&SL, under 25 min (lol), definite "monster track", plus Epica hint....

Makes me want to narrow down the list to:

-Peruvian Skies (because of monster lyric? but does that make it a monster track?)
-Trial of Tears (I don't see this being a good opener)
-The Dance of Eternity
-Endless Sacrifice
-The Dark Eternal Night
-Lost Not Forgotten
-Outcry
-Breaking All Illusions
-Illumination Theory

Although I would remove from that list TDoE (because there just no way they're openning with that one) and Peruvian Skies because is not a "monster song" at all.. MM wouldn't have written his tweet making a reference about the lyric of a song, it doesn't make any sense.. Then, I don't feel that ES, LNF and Outcry are too much of "crowd pleasers"...

So I'd say it's between Trial of Tears, TDEN, BAI or IT..

Just one question though: why not Scarred, Finally Free or The Great Debate?.. The three of them match the description too.. :justjen