Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148512 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2016, 11:50:55 AM »
Time to brag: I could go all snob on this and say "Eh, been there, done that"  ;D

I actually witnessed DT perform I&W in its entirety, back in 2007 for the 15th anniversary. It was the Gods of Metal festival, DT were second on the bill behind Heaven and Hell, and they started the show with Pull Me Under; nothing strange there, it was a festival, probably a best of setlist, it's only normal to start with your most famous song.

Then James after the song explained the anniversary, and the moment he announced they were performing the whole album, well, do I need to tell you the reaction of the crowd?  ;D

And for the record - he totally nailed the high note in Learning to Live  :metal

It will be 24 years since I saw them play every song in May of 1993 in Warwick R.I.  I would love to see them play it in order.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 12:07:52 PM »
Definitely an album that should be played in its entirety.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
It would be cool to have Don't Look Past Me thrown in, but the only guy who probably even remembers the song exists is not in the band since 2010.

A Change of Seasons as encore would be the icing on the cake  :metal I wonder if they will start or finish with Images and Words, maybe for James' voice it would be better to play it right away rather than having it in the second set.

They should throw in a couple of other songs from that era, too, like the ones you mentioned, like TLF.

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2016, 01:24:13 PM »
This sounds amazing! Can James really sing all of I&W though?
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2016, 01:27:28 PM »
If he can sing all of TA, he can sing all of I&W...
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2016, 01:28:41 PM »
This is awesome. I have no idea where I'll be in Europe when these shows come around, but I will go to the closest one I'm in proximity to. If that ones sold out, I'll go to the next closest one. If not that one, then, then...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2016, 01:30:12 PM »
They come to my hometown on a saturday. Really, the only way this can get even better is if they offer me the ticket for free  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline badger

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2016, 01:35:19 PM »
good news :metal
When did we all let you down?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »
Looks like the time for my 1st post on the forum has come. I've been following the threads for a while, but never decided to post untill now.

Don't know if any of you guys saw this, but Mangini tweeted about transcribing two monster songs for the 2017 tour, and I'm pretty sure that "monster" refers to long/epic songs. I first thought about ACOS and/or Octavarium, but now they've confirmed the IAW tour, i'm almost sure they'll play ACOS.

I'll leave the link to his tweet here: https://twitter.com/ManginiMike/status/798421746638618624
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2016, 01:57:13 PM »
JLB is probably gonna feel pressured to sing the original notes. Hope common sense takes over, hate to see him injure his vocal cords again.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »

Not necessarily.  I think he meant that I&W words has more higher range notes than TA.  JLB has toned down his range quite a bit lately.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2016, 02:49:28 PM »

Not necessarily.  I think he meant that I&W words has more higher range notes than TA.  JLB has toned down his range quite a bit lately.
There some moments on TA that have very high range notes. That whole album is like a vocal marathon, it's amazing JLB pulls it off. Images and words ain't no walk in the park either. :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2016, 05:20:51 PM »
Holy fuck, this better be coming to the US at some point next year.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2016, 06:01:02 PM »
Please come to the US. I'm skipping this current astonishing run but I'd like to see them play other stuff especially all I&W

Also I'm curious to see how JLB holds up. 2:47ish "pensive fear" section of take the time is gonna be difficult

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2016, 06:07:42 PM »
Very smart business move. They have to be aware of the mixed reaction to TA, especially with ticket sales not that great overall lately, so instead of taking time off and then doing the next album, in which some of those fans could slowly slip away from them, they are doing this, which will get a lot of those fans back into the fold right away.  Very smart.

Offline Jester

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2016, 06:17:25 PM »
I guess if they are going to play an album in its entirety, that'd be the one to pick.

TBH, their catalog is so large now that it would be very hard for them to put together a set I wouldn't enjoy.  I've basically seen this already, so I'd imagine this is more of a treat for the fans that weren't old enough to see them in the early 90s.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2016, 06:34:35 PM »
WOW!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2016, 06:59:49 PM »
Again, it's spoiled European fans, just like in 2015 :(
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2016, 10:17:42 PM »

There some moments on TA that have very high range notes. That whole album is like a vocal marathon, it's amazing JLB pulls it off. Images and words ain't no walk in the park either. :metal

TA is no comparison vocally to IaW, and that's not meant as a dig at TA's vocals.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2016, 10:20:57 PM »
There are some notes in TA which are higher than most in I&W.

But I&W is, on average, higher than TA, still, TA has waay much more singing time.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2016, 10:46:04 PM »
TA occasionally goes higher than the majority of IaW? I'd say that supports IaW being the tougher.
And not only is IaW on average higher, but the phrasing is tougher too. On top of the extra effort of singing higher, it also requires even more endurance on top of that to sing longer passages with more held notes. TA does have a higher percentage of singing in each song, but that should be relatively straightforward for a skilled vocalist like JLB with his trained technique. It's singing in his current natural range with more considerate phrasing.

I agree both albums present their challenges, but TA was written with present day JLB's strengths and abilities in mind. IaW was not. I can't wait to hear how he pulls it off.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:54:22 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2016, 10:58:04 PM »
Not sure how that is even up for debate. JLB in 1992 was much younger and could hit higher notes more consistently. He would be the first one to tell you that. The Astonishing was an impressive vocal performance but lets not get crazy here.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2016, 11:17:06 PM »
James was on fire tonight.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2016, 11:20:12 PM »

He pulled a Hetfield? Hope he's okay.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2016, 11:27:56 PM »

He pulled a Hetfield? Hope he's okay.

Haha...He killed it on vocals. He even forgot the lyrics to Last Farewell, which was OK.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2016, 12:19:48 AM »
That's pretty exciting news!!! If this tour finds its way to the usa, i'll definitely get some friends together and go. It would be really cool to me if they played without the click track or whatever for this tour. A guy can dream right?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2016, 01:06:22 AM »
Very smart business move. They have to be aware of the mixed reaction to TA, especially with ticket sales not that great overall lately, so instead of taking time off and then doing the next album, in which some of those fans could slowly slip away from them, they are doing this, which will get a lot of those fans back into the fold right away.  Very smart.

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind as well... probably it was in the planning all along but it almost feel like "You didn't like The Astonishing as the entirety of the show? ok, fine, we give you our classic album in full, happy now?"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2016, 02:28:58 AM »

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind as well... probably it was in the planning all along but it almost feel like "You didn't like The Astonishing as the entirety of the show? ok, fine, we give you our classic album in full, happy now?"
        :lol.         Everything is never enough!   
I doubt that's the case, but a funny possibility. I'm sure they are itching to have some fun and play some stuff off their other albums, and Rock!  Smart business move too.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2016, 02:45:02 AM »
This night was the night.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2016, 04:07:49 AM »
Do you guys think they'll do Another Day in a stripped down version so James could sing certain passages an octave lower?

Also, I hope they play the Chaos In Motion Version of Surrounded ;) But I think all of that jamming/making songs longer stuff was Portnoy's thing.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2016, 04:29:04 AM »

I don't quite get this.  One is almost 25 years older than the other for starters.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2016, 05:21:13 AM »
This would be more exciting if they hadn't already done it for the 15th anniversary.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2016, 05:29:55 AM »
Meh.  I'm gutted that there's not gonna be a proper UK tour for The Astonishing.  Very sad that I'll probably never get to experience the show live.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2016, 06:02:27 AM »
This would be more exciting if they hadn't already done it for the 15th anniversary.
Yeah, that's what's confusing to me. How often are they going to celebrate the same album?

...having said that, I might be interested in going. :lol As someone already said, this is a really smart business move. I was so disappointed in TA that I thought I would skip them the next tour but upon hearing this, I was interested again.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Ad134

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2016, 06:48:50 AM »
Meh.  I'm gutted that there's not gonna be a proper UK tour for The Astonishing.  Very sad that I'll probably never get to experience the show live.

Huh? The first show of the tour was London!