Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148616 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #1225 on: January 28, 2017, 09:07:49 AM »
People seem to be sure The Dark eternal night is the opener? I like the song, but I'm having a hard time picturing it as the opener. We'll see, though.
Bosk was also surprised when when JP showed him the setlist :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1226 on: January 28, 2017, 09:48:36 AM »
Dunno if I've said it before, but I think TBP would make a really good first set closer.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1227 on: January 28, 2017, 12:46:43 PM »
I lik how Bosk doesn't have to worry about accidentally spilling the beans because he can literally flat out give it away and people will still be sure it's something else  :rollin

:laugh:

He's almost given too many hints at this point.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1228 on: January 28, 2017, 12:57:12 PM »
I would take anything JLB says regarding the rotating setlist with a huge pinch of salt. He has a habit in interviews of saying what he thinks people want to hear and I would guess that he has little or no say in the matter. That being said, if he is telling the truth and they are rotating the encore, I would be very disappointed to miss out on ACOS. I would like to see 8V as it's one of the few big songs from DT that I haven't seen. I had to miss the 8V tour for some reason. I would not want it in place of ACOS though. Doesn't really make sense to have Mike Mangini learn to absolutely huge epics to rotate and ACOS after I&W does make sense.

Was just thinking the other day that I can't say for certain whether I've heard DT play Another Day, Surrounded or Wait For Sleep. If I have it can only have been once or twice at the most. Am so looking forward to Images & Words.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1229 on: January 28, 2017, 05:12:07 PM »
I would take anything JLB says regarding the rotating setlist with a huge pinch of salt. He has a habit in interviews of saying what he thinks people want to hear and I would guess that he has little or no say in the matter. That being said, if he is telling the truth and they are rotating the encore, I would be very disappointed to miss out on ACOS. I would like to see 8V as it's one of the few big songs from DT that I haven't seen. I had to miss the 8V tour for some reason. I would not want it in place of ACOS though. Doesn't really make sense to have Mike Mangini learn to absolutely huge epics to rotate and ACOS after I&W does make sense.
I'm too lazy to go back through the thread, but was it confirmed that the encore would only be one song? If not, then they could have 2 songs, a short one and an epic, and just rotate the short one...

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1230 on: January 28, 2017, 08:41:01 PM »
This thread has gotten pretty long, but I don't remember reading anything that ruled out a second song in the encore.  The only limitation is that whether it's ACOS or 8VM, that's already a pretty long encore in and of itself.  Maybe there's an extra bonus in there at some shows where the veune's curfew is not as much of an issue.  Who knows.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1231 on: January 28, 2017, 08:58:55 PM »
2 days remain until we find out everything.

SPOILER: They will play all the songs off of Images And Words and some other songs as well, including, but not limited to, some stuff from The Astonishing.

Then it's time to post my final predicted list, unless other clues are given out:

As long as everyone's revising:

1st Set

1. The Dark Eternal Night
2. The Gift of Music
3. Surrender to Reason
4. Hell's Kitchen
5. Lines in the Sand
6. Moment of Betrayal
7. As I Am
8. A New Beginning
9. The Spirit Carries On
10. Our New World
11. Breaking All Illusions

2nd Set - Images and Words

12. Pull Me Under
13. Another Day
14. Take the Time
15. Surrounded
16. Metropolis, Pt. 1
17. Under a Glass Moon
18. Wait for Sleep
19. Learning to Live

Encore 1

20. A Change of Seasons

If this is the setlist I'll go to every damn show in the tri-state area.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1232 on: January 28, 2017, 09:19:45 PM »
I would go for I & W and ACOS alone. However, I would really love to see Surrender to Reason and The Bigger Picture live.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #1233 on: January 28, 2017, 09:49:05 PM »
Hasn't Bosk referred to FII songs as "the FII song"? So perhaps we should count on having both Hell's Kitchen and Lines In The Sand.

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
  • Find all you need in your mind...
« Reply #1234 on: January 29, 2017, 01:00:06 AM »
Hasn't Bosk referred to FII songs as "the FII song"? So perhaps we should count on having both Hell's Kitchen and Lines In The Sand.

If it's just one it's probably Lines. Then again, HK would definitely help to fill the instrumental mentioned.

What if the instrumental is an updated Instrumedley with Overture 1928, SoC, Enigma and such, and run straight into Lines from the ending of Hell's Kitchen.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: January 29, 2017, 02:10:14 AM »

If it's just one it's probably Lines. Then again, HK would definitely help to fill the instrumental mentioned.

What if the instrumental is an updated Instrumedley with Overture 1928, SoC, Enigma and such, and run straight into Lines from the ending of Hell's Kitchen.

Really like that idea....

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
« Reply #1236 on: January 29, 2017, 02:26:31 AM »

Really like that idea....

Obviously removing the parts from Darkest of Winters and Metropolis need to go in order to not wreck the I&W set and encore, but it would be cool

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #1237 on: January 29, 2017, 03:04:40 AM »
I was wondering: do we have the confirmation that the second set will only be Images and Words played in its album version? I've done some researches and I found that all the Evening With setlists are done in this way : one set lasting 1h20, one set lasting 1h00 and an encore of 20 min. So if the one hour set is the "Beyond" set and the 1h20 set is the "Images and Words" set: they could play Images + ACOS in one set, leaving room for an encore that could be modified for a few dates. If we remove Moment of Betrayal and Lines in the Sand (just one FII song?) the first set would last 1h :

1st Set

2. The Gift of Music
3. Surrender to Reason
4. Hell's Kitchen
5. As I Am
6. A New Beginning
7. The Spirit Carries On
8. Our New World
9. Breaking All Illusions

10 Pull Me Under
11. Another Day
12. Take the Time
13. Surrounded
14. Metropolis, Pt. 1
15. Under a Glass Moon
16. Wait for Sleep
17. Learning to Live
18. A Change of Seasons 93' version

Encore 1

19. Octavarium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (two monster tracks Mike said ;) )
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:27:27 AM by the keyboard wizard »
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1238 on: January 29, 2017, 04:34:18 AM »
Yeah, the second set will be just Images and Words, from Pull Me Under to Learning to Live, anything else is in the first set or the encore.

Anyway, listening to A Change of Seasons right now, just in case  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

« Reply #1239 on: January 29, 2017, 05:29:24 AM »
Right so let's put A Change of Seasons in the first set :lol :lol
Anyway, we'll know everything tomorrow. The French fan club will have Octavarious from this forum who will be live from the venue and he'll text me (if possible) the selist live. So I'll try to post it.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1240 on: January 29, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »

JP hates medleys, so I am going to guess the odds of that are really, really slim.

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
« Reply #1241 on: January 29, 2017, 08:14:40 AM »
Oh, didn't know that. Oh well. Would have been cool

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #1242 on: January 29, 2017, 12:20:41 PM »
Anyway, we'll know everything tomorrow. The French fan club will have Octavarious from this forum who will be live from the venue and he'll text me (if possible) the selist live. So I'll try to post it.
I'll do my best!! Will try also to send you some pictures of the stage setup and during the gig (if possible... Not sure).
From Rome, with love.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1243 on: January 29, 2017, 12:38:21 PM »
Good guy Octavarious  :tup

Hopefully they will be more relaxed about cameras this tour.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1244 on: January 29, 2017, 12:48:18 PM »
Bosk, you've been mentioned on the MaidenFans forum!

https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/dream-theater.10877/page-115

"That Bosk guy on the DT Forum..." :yarr
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1245 on: January 29, 2017, 12:52:32 PM »

Yeah, I'm not totally sure on this.  I think he said "the" FII song once, but the context made it unclear that there was only one, and that the "the" might have not been meant literally.  With the other two (DT12, ADTOE), he made it clearer that there was only one.

I'm almost positive that HK is the instrumental, and I also think LITS has a very high probability of making the setlist.  But I could be wrong that both are on it.

― Hunter S. Thompson

« Reply #1246 on: January 29, 2017, 01:13:39 PM »
I'll do my best!! Will try also to send you some pictures of the stage setup and during the gig (if possible... Not sure).
Don't bother spoiling your 4G data by sending us pictures during the show, all we need is the setlist live. The pictures can wait (if at least you can take pics of the merchandising, it would be so cool).

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1247 on: January 29, 2017, 01:14:59 PM »

Thanks to that link, I think they should do this version of Pull Me Under  :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqvbk7-DYh0
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jinx

« Reply #1248 on: January 29, 2017, 03:16:55 PM »

Thanks to that link, I think they should do this version of Pull Me Under  :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqvbk7-DYh0

:lol thats madness!

I checked out a link from that video to a video of "Panic Attack but John Petrucci is now Steve from Smash mouth"  :rollin

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1249 on: January 29, 2017, 03:52:38 PM »
Then it's time to post my final predicted list, unless other clues are given out:

As long as everyone's revising:

1st Set

2. The Gift of Music
3. Surrender to Reason
4. Hell's Kitchen
5. Lines in the Sand
6. Moment of Betrayal
7. As I Am
8. A New Beginning
9. The Spirit Carries On
10. Our New World
11. Breaking All Illusions

12. Pull Me Under
13. Another Day
14. Take the Time
15. Surrounded
16. Metropolis, Pt. 1
17. Under a Glass Moon
18. Wait for Sleep
19. Learning to Live

Encore 1

20. A Change of Seasons

I think this setlist would be amazing! Just one question, are we 100%, based on the clues Bosk has been giving, that there's no SDOIT or WDADU on the set? I think they would try to add at least something from either one. Fingers crossed for TKH.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1250 on: January 29, 2017, 04:07:25 PM »
I would prefer Octavarium over ACOS. I saw ACOS on the TOT tour in Seattle,  I have yet to see Octavarium in it's entirety.  I wouldn't complain either way though..  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1251 on: January 29, 2017, 06:00:15 PM »
hoping for ACOS, but octavarium wouldn't be a disappointment.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1252 on: January 29, 2017, 06:01:33 PM »
Even though ACOS is my favorite DT song, with Mangini's style of drumming, and their approach to live performances, I think 8VM would be more fitting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1253 on: January 29, 2017, 09:21:55 PM »
I think this setlist would be amazing! Just one question, are we 100%, based on the clues Bosk has been giving, that there's no SDOIT or WDADU on the set? I think they would try to add at least something from either one. Fingers crossed for TKH.

No, we're not.  All we know is that there are a few albums that won't have any songs.  But we knew that before, because if the Encore is one epic, Set 2 is I&W, and Set 1 has 3-4 songs off TA, there's not really room for a song from every other album.

Nothing on either of those albums fits well with any of the other clues given, except I suppose TGP could be one of the monster tracks MM said he was transcribing.  But there also might be a few songs in the set that Bosk has simply not hinted about.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
« Reply #1254 on: January 29, 2017, 11:11:29 PM »
What if the opening song us Our New World or Astonishing? Neither would hit me as an opener exactly, but that's one of the thing that Bosk said. Also, it's at the ending of the second disc, well within that 25 minute mark.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1255 on: January 29, 2017, 11:30:51 PM »

No, we're not.  All we know is that there are a few albums that won't have any songs.  But we knew that before, because if the Encore is one epic, Set 2 is I&W, and Set 1 has 3-4 songs off TA, there's not really room for a song from every other album.

Nothing on either of those albums fits well with any of the other clues given, except I suppose TGP could be one of the monster tracks MM said he was transcribing.  But there also might be a few songs in the set that Bosk has simply not hinted about.

I feel like they should play a song from SDoIT since it's that album's 15th anniversary.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1256 on: January 30, 2017, 12:15:25 AM »
What if the opening song us Our New World or Astonishing? Neither would hit me as an opener exactly, but that's one of the thing that Bosk said. Also, it's at the ending of the second disc, well within that 25 minute mark.

No.

-It isn't a monster track
-The Astonishing comes first in the alphabet, not at the end
-Bosk said he re-arranged the order of the album, he wouldn't do that for a concept album like TA
-etc.

We'll see though...
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline V_R11

« Reply #1257 on: January 30, 2017, 12:38:37 AM »
Okay but...wasn't the opener supposed to be a crowd pleaser? Is TDEN that? IMHO I wouldn't want to hear it at all, it's boring
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Jinx

« Reply #1258 on: January 30, 2017, 01:01:19 AM »
Okay but...wasn't the opener supposed to be a crowd pleaser? Is TDEN that? IMHO I wouldn't want to hear it at all, it's boring

A crowd favourite. Which I believe TDEN is in general.
Its either that or Endless Sacrifice which would also be cool

Offline Evai

« Reply #1259 on: January 30, 2017, 02:32:37 AM »
A very credible source has told me that it's TDEN that they will be playing.

credible source is me
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.