Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 151019 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #1120 on: January 22, 2017, 07:15:57 AM »
I will be at the Milan show on the 4th of February and there's no way in hell I want to come anywhere close a setlist spoiler. I always, always wanted to have a complete and total surprise at the shows I attend and I never want to know the setlist in advance. You'll see me disappear from this thread, and even from the board altogether, the evening DT open up the tour.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1121 on: January 22, 2017, 07:59:37 AM »
I will be at the Milan show on the 4th of February and there's no way in hell I want to come anywhere close a setlist spoiler. I always, always wanted to have a complete and total surprise at the shows I attend and I never want to know the setlist in advance. You'll see me disappear from this thread, and even from the board altogether, the evening DT open up the tour.

Spoiler alert!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1122 on: January 22, 2017, 09:11:48 AM »
Latest Mangini post on the upcoming shows:

"With a week to go, the <3hr show is almost one lonnng song to me. That vision turns tedious work into joy. That said, I'd better get on it."

:metal

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1123 on: January 22, 2017, 12:33:40 PM »
Latest Mangini post on the upcoming shows:

"With a week to go, the <3hr show is almost one lonnng song to me. That vision turns tedious work into joy. That said, I'd better get on it."

:metal

erwin, you must be the greatest MM fan there is! No kiddin'!  ;D

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1124 on: January 22, 2017, 07:48:07 PM »

Metropolis Pt. 3 confirmed!  A surprise new 3-hour concept album released live!
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1125 on: January 23, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »
Imagine DT opening the set with one of your least favourites: wouldn't you prefer something else?
Not necessarily, because that means the show would only get more awesome from that point on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1126 on: January 23, 2017, 11:13:07 AM »
TDEN is among my least favorite song by DT but if I was there I would probably jump and scream like a little girl so...
Too bad they missed my country again, I feel Beyond set will be killer.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: January 23, 2017, 01:31:18 PM »
A day off, listening to parts of Queen at Wembley '86, the finally released BBC, and ....The Astonishing.

No doubt that 'The Chosen' will be played (at least once).

Guaranteed.

Right, Bosk ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1128 on: January 23, 2017, 01:34:06 PM »
Like I said earlier, I don't really recall which songs from The Astonishing will be played.  Since I knew there would be some, I didn't really pay close attention to that part of the set list.  But I can tell you that I hope it does get played, because I think it is a terrific song, and it translates very well to a live setting.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1129 on: January 23, 2017, 02:08:10 PM »
Bosk willthere be any of SDOIT represented this time around? Album tracks or just (parts of) the song??

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1130 on: January 23, 2017, 06:10:40 PM »
Hahaa.. If he hasn't answered that until now I think he just won't.. ;D
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1131 on: January 24, 2017, 06:40:37 AM »
Will just say that, whilst I'm not the biggest fan of the TOT album (by DT standards of course) the songs really kick ass live.  ES and ITNOG are both incredible to see and hear live.  TDEN is also much more fun live than on record and there are usually some fun visuals to go with it.

I think DT should just play ADTOE and then I&W and then say "see, they're nothing like each other" and then close with ACOS.

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
  • Find all you need in your mind...
« Reply #1132 on: January 24, 2017, 07:07:43 AM »
I'm not fussed on the setlist, but they better come to at least one venue in Australia before the end if 2017. They did say there's Asian dates, right?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1133 on: January 24, 2017, 07:36:21 AM »
TDEN is also much more fun live than on record and there are usually some fun visuals to go with it.

Indeed, as much as I dislike the song, I have to admit that seeing it live it's not such a "torture", it translates quite well.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
  • Find all you need in your mind...
« Reply #1134 on: January 24, 2017, 07:58:19 AM »

TDEN is also much more fun live than on record and there are usually some fun visuals to go with it.

I would almost go as far as saying i prefer to hear a live version if I'm listening to TDEN. I agree with you on the fact that it's more fun, but I feel more inclined to say that it sounds much better executed vocally on LALP. I think having MP double it may have been a step too far. His contributions to the prechorus is great, but should have been left at that and the main chorus.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1135 on: January 24, 2017, 08:04:55 AM »
I'll use the SPOILERS tag before the rest of the post, just in case anyone wants to avoid this...

So... am I the only one who saw this post from the JP videobomb interview thread? :o

That is all true.  But as I said in the other thread, while there definitely is plenty of "new" (to him) material in the set, they also picked a lot of the "favorites" from the last 3 tours so that he would not have to learn an entire set list from scratch and be overwhelmed.  So that is why, for example, you are going to see BAI in the set.

It doesn't surprise me that they chose BAI from ADTOE, even though I would've prefered if they played Outcry instead.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1136 on: January 24, 2017, 08:13:15 AM »
Going to open the show with BAI?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1137 on: January 24, 2017, 08:16:08 AM »
Going to open the show with BAI?

Don't think they'll open the show with it, but it'll probably close the first set, I guess.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1138 on: January 24, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
Well, the way bosk reported the "take a look at the setlist" conversation, the impression I had that the question made to him "What do you think of the opener" seemed to imply that they wanted to point out what a ballsy and unusual choice it was... which would made more sense if the song was both long and a closer kind of song, rather than just a random middle of the set fast song moved at the beginning.

To point out "Look, we open with BAI" makes more sense to me than "Look, we open up with TDEN / Panick Attack".

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1139 on: January 24, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »
Well, the way bosk reported the "take a look at the setlist" conversation, the impression I had that the question made to him "What do you think of the opener" seemed to imply that they wanted to point out what a ballsy and unusual choice it was... which would made more sense if the song was both long and a closer kind of song, rather than just a random middle of the set fast song moved at the beginning.

To point out "Look, we open with BAI" makes more sense to me than "Look, we open up with TDEN / Panick Attack".

The way you put it makes a lot of sense. It definitely fits all the criteria on the hints by Bosk, specially the fact it's been played a lot since it was released.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #1140 on: January 24, 2017, 09:05:26 AM »
Gah not BAI again. Wouldve preffered anything else from ADTOE bar that (and OTBOA)  :facepalm:

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1141 on: January 24, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »
Anything else? Even Build Me Up, Break Me Down?  :lol

Seriously, though, Breaking All Illusions will never get old. They are most likely in their last decade of active touring given their age so let them overplay this awesome song.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1142 on: January 24, 2017, 09:23:12 AM »
Hard to argue against BAI IMO, although I'd love to see Outcry again.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1143 on: January 24, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »
BAI is in the set, but it's unlikely to be the opener, as ADTOE is very early in the alphabet.  It meets all the other opener criteria, though.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1144 on: January 24, 2017, 10:51:11 AM »
I think Outcry is a possibility. Even Build me up, break me down wouldn't be an odd choice.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #1145 on: January 24, 2017, 10:56:11 AM »
Ive got a feeling about them playing some more of the songs from the 2015 festival tour. They must be quite fresh. Also As I Am and TSCO from the Astonishing encore?

New songs of course TTT and (hopefully) ACOS. As well as a couple from FII.

What other songs would you like to see??

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #1146 on: January 24, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
I would personally like to see octavarium (song ) or ITPOE (either of them ). Not holding my breath for either though 😩

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1147 on: January 24, 2017, 11:42:29 AM »
I think Outcry is a possibility. Even Build me up, break me down wouldn't be an odd choice.

Bosk implied only one song from ADTOE.  Given the limited space for non TA, non I&W songs on this setlist, I'm guessing most other albums will only have one song, if any.  3 or 4 albums will have to have no representation.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Jinx

« Reply #1148 on: January 24, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »

Bosk implied only one song from ADTOE.  Given the limited space for non TA, non I&W songs on this setlist, I'm guessing most other albums will only have one song, if any.  3 or 4 albums will have to have no representation.

Yeah bosk said 8-9 songs in the first set? Put aside 3 for TA, 1 for the opener (I still think TDEN), 1 for BAI and at least 1 for a FII and leaves not a lot more room!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1149 on: January 24, 2017, 12:01:17 PM »
Given the limited space for non TA, non I&W songs on this setlist, I'm guessing most other albums will only have one song, if any.  3 or 4 albums will have to have no representation.

Correct.  And now that we are this close to the first show, I can now tell you that the full set list is:

*****SPOILERS BELOW*****

...going to be played.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1150 on: January 24, 2017, 12:03:31 PM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: January 24, 2017, 12:04:17 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #1152 on: January 24, 2017, 12:04:38 PM »
 :rollin

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1153 on: January 24, 2017, 01:34:11 PM »
Bosk, that's an amazing way you managed to reveal that You Not Me, Raw Dog, A Nightmare to Remember, Far From Heaven, Two Far, The Answer Lies Within, Take Away My Pain and Anna Lee would all be included in the set and that they'd open with The Ministry of Lost Souls! Thanks for finally confirming them!

Gah not BAI again. Wouldve preffered anything else from ADTOE bar that (and OTBOA)  :facepalm:
Honestly, I'm of the same mindset. Mix it up instead of playing the same thing again. Unless they were to change the song up, which I'd love to see them do - something that's been severely lacking since MP left the band.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1154 on: January 24, 2017, 01:46:23 PM »
Bosk, that's an amazing way you managed to reveal that You Not Me, Raw Dog, A Nightmare to Remember, Far From Heaven, Two Far, The Answer Lies Within, Take Away My Pain and Anna Lee would all be included in the set and that they'd open with The Ministry of Lost Souls! Thanks for finally confirming them!

No problem.  All it takes is just some reading between the lines, right?