Author Topic: Euro 2017 Winter - Images And Words and Beyond  (Read 58944 times)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Euro 2017 Winter - Images And Words and Beyond
« on: November 15, 2016, 03:03:18 AM »
Just saw on Facebook an annoncement of three shows in Sweden in February with Images & Words and beyond.

They will play I&W in full and select favorites from the Catalogue.

25 years anniversary tour of the iconic album.

Look out for dates in other areas of Europe.

Edit... dates are added here:

https://www.dreamtheater.net/tour

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Euro 2017 Winter - Images And Words and Beyond
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 03:04:32 AM »
BREAKING NEWS:

Several dates have been added to https://www.dreamtheater.net/tour   in europe.

Apparently they're doing a tour celebrating Images And Words 25th - playing the entire album and several other songs.

Why has this not announced properly?

https://www.013.nl/programma/4372/dream-theater-images-words-beyond

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Euro 2017 Winter - Images And Words and Beyond
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 03:12:45 AM »
Saw it announced by the promoter on facebook

Link not working unfortunately....

This should please the fans that were disappointed in the TA tour only beeing TA. Myself I would have loved to see TA again.

https://www.triffidanddanger.se/dream-theater-till-sverige-i-februari/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:52:39 AM by SwedishGoose »

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 03:29:19 AM »
Thats a rather late announcement for dates in February.  And no UK date?  Colour me sad :(  Wonder if they're trying to plug a financial gap left by an underpeforming tour?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 03:42:47 AM »
UK dates will probably come....

They play three cities in Sweden.... that is a first

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 04:27:25 AM »
Thats a rather late announcement for dates in February.  And no UK date?  Colour me sad :(  Wonder if they're trying to plug a financial gap left by an underpeforming tour?

I doubt it. You guys see lucky.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline krands85

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 04:32:50 AM »
I MUST go to one of these shows - it'll finally give me the chance to see Learning to Live and Metropolis performed live! Fingers crossed for at least one UK show.

Also, good luck James!  :omg:
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Images & Words and beyond
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 05:17:25 AM »
I was about to post a link to the other thread but you started it first. :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 05:50:09 AM »
Dayum, I surely hope this tour comes to Finland as well! :o 3 dates in Sweden and 0 here would be unfair.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 06:22:20 AM »
I wonder if they'll make this a year-long celebration and come back to the States... I'd like the chance to see this. Otherwise, as it stands, the last two "Anniversary" tours would be Europe-only tours.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 06:31:25 AM »
I would be extremely surprised if they did a third leg in the US. The sales of this second leg arent all that. I assume they'll do this second EU leg, then a leg in asia/oz, and then take a few months off. then we probably wont hear much from them until mid 2018...

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 06:35:31 AM »
I would be extremely surprised if they did a third leg in the US. The sales of this second leg aren't all that.

Or they'll come to the states with that tour knowing that it's what the majority of the fans want. It could be a way for the band to recoup some of the money they likely lost on the second Astonishing leg.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 06:51:42 AM »
I would be extremely surprised if they did a third leg in the US. The sales of this second leg arent all that. I assume they'll do this second EU leg, then a leg in asia/oz, and then take a few months off. then we probably wont hear much from them until mid 2018...
I think it's safe to assume that the second leg of The Astonishing can't be compared in ticket sales to what I&W would be.  That said, I am going to The Astonishing tomorrow night and can't wait.  I love the album.

Offline TexasFury

Re: Images & Words and beyond
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 07:15:27 AM »
I would go see every tour if they started doing every album in entirety, one per tour, starting from the beginning.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 08:55:10 AM »
Very nice surprise, I think I will attend.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 09:11:40 AM »
They must definitely do an Asian leg: where would they shoot their "Astonishing" BR? Maybe this European leg was set to raise money to pay for the shooting of the DVD. I'm pretty convinced that they have lost a certain amount of money with "the Astonishing live" (huge production and tickets not selling well) so they need to find money without spending too much: a "back to classics" tour is a good way (a bit like what Marillion is sometimes doing) and here of course means doing the whole Images and Words album (btw other albums have their anniversaries in 2017: FII, 6DOIT and SC but Images and Words is a classic).
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 09:25:27 AM »
I'm pretty convinced that they have lost a certain amount of money with "the Astonishing live" (huge production and tickets not selling well)

Highly unlikely.  That isn't how it works. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 10:42:18 AM »
I'm pretty convinced that they have lost a certain amount of money with "the Astonishing live" (huge production and tickets not selling well)

Highly unlikely.  That isn't how it works.

Yeah... if anyone has lost it's the promoters

Offline JRuless

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 10:50:40 AM »
Will try to get a ticket but I'm not that thrilled IMHO..I'm very dissapointed its not part of the Astonishing tour as I was awaiting a 2nd leg playing the whole thing. Maybe Im alone in this but a whole leg supporting an classic album? I thought the SFAM support as a encore was a better choice. Very sad they overplayed it in the States...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 11:14:27 AM »
I don't want to be a dick, but I would take an evening with the entire The Astonishing over this, being that none of the concerts were near me last time around. But still, it's not like I'm going to say no to the entire Images and words.  :lol

Fingers crossed for a Vienna or Budapest date.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
I don't want to be a dick, but I would take an evening with the entire The Astonishing over this, being that none of the concerts were near me last time around. But still, it's not like I'm going to say no to the entire Images and words.  :lol

Having seen an entire evening of The Astonishing just about a month ago, I would erase that evening for this in a heartbeat.  The TA concert was easily the worst of my 23 DT shows I've ever seen.  This would be pretty sweet!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 12:54:26 PM »
OMG I so want this in the US.  My all time favorite album and my favorite song by them that I still have not seen live, Learning to Live.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 01:11:20 PM »

Having seen an entire evening of The Astonishing just about a month ago, I would erase that evening for this in a heartbeat.  The TA concert was easily the worst of my 23 DT shows I've ever seen.  This would be pretty sweet!

Having seen The Astonishing twice in march I would take a third time of that over this...

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 01:51:33 PM »

Having seen The Astonishing twice in march I would take a third time of that over this...
Fair enough.  I'm glad there are plenty of people out there who like TA.  No matter how hard I try, I simply can't get into it.  So, I'll anxiously await a DT North American tour where I'm excited to hear the songs being played live.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 04:11:21 PM »
I love this album as I said. It's 2ND behind 6DOIT for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 07:10:27 PM »
This tour better hit the US.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 04:38:38 AM »
I hope they do play the UK, BUT -

Last time they played the UK, they only played one venue (London Palladium)
The time before, they only played a festival support slot (Rambing Man)

Wouldn't be surprised if UK is forgotton about for the Eastern European countries that still seem to go see the band.

And why does Germany always get so many dates???

USA? Don't hold yer breath...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Lazlow Panaflex

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 08:16:15 AM »
Being in Ireland I normally fly to UK and catch a show in London.  But with no sign of a UK date I may have to slip over to the Paris gig instead, and they go on sale tomorrow morning!  Not sure if I should wait to see if they add a UK date or just go ahead and grab some Paris tickets...

Offline krands85

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 08:27:50 AM »
Being in Ireland I normally fly to UK and catch a show in London.  But with no sign of a UK date I may have to slip over to the Paris gig instead, and they go on sale tomorrow morning!  Not sure if I should wait to see if they add a UK date or just go ahead and grab some Paris tickets...
This is quite a frustrating thing to deal with - I know there must be reasons for it, but it would be so much better if all dates were announced at the same time. It's made worse if you have to travel long distances obviously too. You might be able to sell your ticket of course, but if you've paid for transport and accommodation, you're stuck. If you 'wait and see' you risk the show being sold out/getting a crappy seat and travel/accommodation prices increasing.

Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 08:29:35 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2016, 09:07:44 AM »
I know people who fly to Dublin to see major acts because they reckon it's cheaper than seeing the same act in London.

I've thought about making the trip to Paris to see them in the past, but never quite been able to justify it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Lazlow Panaflex

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 12:17:29 PM »
This is quite a frustrating thing to deal with - I know there must be reasons for it, but it would be so much better if all dates were announced at the same time. It's made worse if you have to travel long distances obviously too. You might be able to sell your ticket of course, but if you've paid for transport and accommodation, you're stuck. If you 'wait and see' you risk the show being sold out/getting a crappy seat and travel/accommodation prices increasing.

Yep that is exactly how I'm feeling right now!

I know people who fly to Dublin to see major acts because they reckon it's cheaper than seeing the same act in London.

I've thought about making the trip to Paris to see them in the past, but never quite been able to justify it.

I would love it if DT played a gig in Dublin! They actually played here in the 99/00 SFAM tour but haven't been back since.  As for London vs Paris, it actually works out about the same when you add flights, accommodation, tickets, and train. I actually caught both London shows and a Paris show earlier this year! The things we do for our fave band eh?

Offline craig1928

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2016, 01:10:33 PM »
I would love it if DT played a gig in Dublin! They actually played here in the 99/00 SFAM tour but haven't been back since.

they played in Vicar street on the SDOIT tour