Author Topic: Euro 2017 Winter - Images And Words and Beyond  (Read 59000 times)

Offline the_silent_man

Re: Euro 2017 Winter - Images And Words and Beyond
« Reply #280 on: April 23, 2017, 04:14:21 AM »
So, got back from the Cardiff gig last night and really enjoyed! It was the 6th time I've seen them and overall, I'd say it was possibly the best performance I'd seen from them.

They seem to really be having fun with this tour and I absolutely loved the inclusion of some of the extended jams and cover segments.
I would say that the entire band was on fire, but to me LaBrie stole the show. Awesome performance, and the best stage presence/crowd interaction I've seen from him. I love how he's taking the time (ha) to talk to the audience and tell funny stories on this tour, something I felt was really missing over the last few years. Along with the extended segments/covers/surprises, this is something I hope they continue with on other tours.

I was a bit worried beforehand about how it'd be without the video screens as I've been so used to them on their tours, but honestly, I really did not care at all, and it was actually great in the sense that it brought the attention back onto the band.

So overall, great show. Only downside was that we had to leave before the end of Change of Seasons (missing around 5 mins) due to the aforementioned issue with the last train. Usually, there would have been a train around the midnight mark, which would have been perfect, but there was work on the lines further up over the 3 weeks which unfortunately led to a reduced service.
Also, I really miss standing concerts. It just does not feel right to be sat down for a metal gig.

Anyway, those are small gripes, and I hope anyone else who catches this tour enjoys. A lot of fun to be had!

Offline 3rdday

« Reply #281 on: April 23, 2017, 03:20:02 PM »

James rambled on and on and they had to cut the James/Jordan jam at the end of LTL.  :D

They haven't been doing the that jam since quite early in the tour, have they? They didn't do it when I saw them in Stockholm either. Shame.

Anyway, as you've said last night was brilliant. The whole seated thing and the auditorium being half empty did seem a bit weird and I was a bit afraid the resultant slight lack of atmosphere might affect the band, but it it certainly didn't! James was easily the best I've heard him in the five times that I've seen DT and JP was absolutely awesome all night.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #282 on: April 23, 2017, 05:36:43 PM »
Just come back from the London gig! Derek Oliver attended the show, and he was invited to stand up from his seat and his instrumental role in securing the deal for IAW for the band was aknowledged by James in his pre-TTT talk.

Also, apparently the band consumed large quantities of rice when recording IAW because of an oversized order by JM.
Also, apparently IAW is best enjoyed sipping good champagne, as remarked by James reminiscing on the celebratory toast, courtesy of the late Mr. Portnoy Sr., at the ending of the recording process.
Also, JP was allegedly 5yo at the time IAW was written. Also allegedly, JM was 1 year old at same time, despite both men being born in 1967. Spacetime distortions intensify.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #283 on: April 23, 2017, 07:29:03 PM »
Also, apparently the band consumed large quantities of rice when recording IAW because of an oversized order by JM.
Also, apparently IAW is best enjoyed sipping good champagne, as remarked by James reminiscing on the celebratory toast, courtesy of the late Mr. Portnoy Sr., at the ending of the recording process.
Also, JP was allegedly 5yo at the time IAW was written. Also allegedly, JM was 1 year old at same time, despite both men being born in 1967. Spacetime distortions intensify.

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #284 on: April 24, 2017, 04:25:48 AM »
Fantastic show! I managed to hop there on my crutches, every muscle in my body hurts this morning, and on balance I probably shouldn't have gone!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #285 on: April 24, 2017, 04:46:52 AM »
Jealous of those that managed to get to any of the UK shows. It was working out too expensive for me to get across this time.

I wish they had included an Ireland date, but maybe next time..

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #286 on: April 24, 2017, 07:00:43 AM »
I really didn't notice errors from Mangini in Metropolis or LTL, thought they were incredible and very far from being a train wreck.

Really? He got completely lost! It sounded really obvious to me and the people on my row were looking at each other wondering what was going on!

After the song he came out from the drum kit looking embarrassed (in a playful way) and started hitting his hand in frustration  :lol

Agree with the rest of your review though  :tup

Yeah, sorry, not saying that the mistakes weren't there, just that they were not all that noticeable to me and did not detract from my enjoyment of the songs.  Thought that the comment that LTL was almost a train wreck was a little unfair and OTT.  Thought both Metropolis and Learning to Live were amazing but just my opinion obviously.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #287 on: April 24, 2017, 07:05:18 AM »
Just got back from Cardiff. Like half the venue was cut off and there were still many many empty seats.

Where I was in the stand all of the stage gear was piled on one side of the stage so we couldnt see Jordan. Attendance was so down they literally moved the whole block into the middle seating. The whole thing was a bit of a disaster to be honest.

The band however were on fire! Just to let you know James nailed everything and those bits he had been struggling on he has cleverly change to suit him.

James rambled on and on and they had to cut the James/Jordan jam at the end of LTL.  :D

Mike Mangini is just awesome and fun to watch, the solo was amazing!

Being all seated in the middle kills a bit of the atmosphere for me - and like I said there were plenty of empty seats everywhere. Cant think what the band must've thought. I was begging for a small group to stand and for the rest to follow suit!

Highlights for me were Take The Time, Metropolis and ACOS.

In defence of DT, I don't think they are an Arena level band in the UK and would not fill any of the big arenas, the same happens when they play Wembley Arena from what I heard.  I saw them in Manchester in a large theatre and didn't notice too many empty seats (couldn't see upstairs though) and that's about their level.  Never been to Cardiff Arena so don't know how big it is or if there is an alternative venue they could play there.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #288 on: April 24, 2017, 07:37:15 AM »
Birmingham wasn't too different though, and that venue holds 2k. I was watching a bit of ACOS from the gig on YouTube:

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #289 on: April 24, 2017, 07:43:11 AM »
Not to mention market saturation - DT has toured VERY heavily the past 4 years. Up until and including the ADTOE tour, DT only hit Norway once per tour/album cycle, so we got to see them every other year.

But since the DT12 tour: 1 concert in 2014. 2 concerts in 2015. 3 concerts in 2016. 5 concerts in 2017. You've got to be a nutter like me to see all of that...

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #290 on: April 24, 2017, 07:45:59 AM »
You've got to be a nutter like me to see all of that...
...especially with static setlists!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #291 on: April 24, 2017, 08:13:26 AM »
And, frankly, also the spotty vocal performances. Right now James is doing well actually, but I'm sure people will have watched the videos of the first leg to decide whether to see a second leg concert.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: April 24, 2017, 09:51:08 AM »
And, frankly, also the spotty vocal performances. Right now James is doing well actually, but I'm sure people will have watched the videos of the first leg to decide whether to see a second leg concert.
He was doing rather well on the first leg after shaking the rust off. I think he must have peaked in one of the Swedish show. After that, well, there were noticeable signs of wear, or maybe he was just sick, I don't know. But anyway, let's give the guy a break. The setlist isn't easy (IAW+ACOS every show is something he's never had to do before, not even in his glory days), the schedule is pretty tight too (4 shows in 5 days average) and still he manages to deliver good to great performances more often then not. For myself, I thought he sounded pretty much fine yesterday! Hopefully he can't hold onto that level for the remainder of the tour!
- Marco

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: April 24, 2017, 10:07:39 AM »
Here's my video of the Take The Time / Surrounded double! The lengthy introduction (featuring Derek Oliver) is included.

Apologies for the (comparatively) rather poor video quality. I need to get a new camera, this one has run well past its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pvdNWyY8YI
- Marco

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #294 on: April 24, 2017, 10:42:53 AM »
Here's my video of the Take The Time / Surrounded double! The lengthy introduction (featuring Derek Oliver) is included.

Apologies for the (comparatively) rather poor video quality. I need to get a new camera, this one has run well past its time.

Great video, man!  :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #295 on: April 24, 2017, 10:54:37 AM »

Thanks for posting!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #296 on: April 24, 2017, 11:41:58 AM »
He was doing rather well on the first leg after shaking the rust off. I think he must have peaked in one of the Swedish show. After that, well, there were noticeable signs of wear, or maybe he was just sick, I don't know. But anyway, let's give the guy a break. The setlist isn't easy (IAW+ACOS every show is something he's never had to do before, not even in his glory days), the schedule is pretty tight too (4 shows in 5 days average) and still he manages to deliver good to great performances more often then not. For myself, I thought he sounded pretty much fine yesterday! Hopefully he can't hold onto that level for the remainder of the tour!

I think the slack you and I may give him, will largely be irrelevant to the average DT concert visitor. I doubt they will pay Ł60 and be content with saying "given the circumstances...."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #297 on: April 24, 2017, 03:10:16 PM »
I was hearing the boot from O2 and I had the impression that the band isn't playing with a metronome on this 2nd leg (and with a lot more energy), but I'm not sure. Any of you here had this impression too?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2017, 07:28:25 PM »
If they have backing tracks, they use click, it's a requirement really. So yeah, they still use click. In fact, there's a jam outro where I think JP got caught off guard because the click ended. He totally aborts the jam in a weird way.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #299 on: April 24, 2017, 08:00:59 PM »
If they have backing tracks, they use click, it's a requirement really. So yeah, they still use click. In fact, there's a jam outro where I think JP got caught off guard because the click ended. He totally aborts the jam in a weird way.

I remember reading Neil Peart say that minus those times they played with a string section, he never used a click. That was always so confusing since they used a ton of backing tracks. I guess his timing was just so perfect that they could trigger them all?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #300 on: April 24, 2017, 08:03:09 PM »

I remember reading Neil Peart say that minus those times they played with a string section, he never used a click. That was always so confusing since they used a ton of backing tracks. I guess his timing was just so perfect that they could trigger them all?

Someone more proficient in that stuff correct me, but I do believe they used to play Red Sector A to a click.  He even used to wear headphones sometimes when playing that song live, although not always.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #301 on: April 24, 2017, 08:05:50 PM »
Possibly. But listening to their other tours from 2000 onward (probably before too) there have been a lot of backing vocals and so forth added in. If he's not playing those to a click, that's pretty impressive (from a drummer's perspective).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #302 on: April 24, 2017, 08:32:06 PM »
I think the difference is, with Rush, they triggered all those samples and whatnot manually. DT has them all automated (as if on tape) - if they were to do it Rush's way, which is far more challenging/difficult, it would give them the leverage to play without the click.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #303 on: April 24, 2017, 09:09:48 PM »
To my understanding, Peart triggered all that stuff, yeah. It's incredibly impressive.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #304 on: April 24, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
Like, the backing vocals on TTT chorus? This time I'm really in doubt if it isn't JP voice with some effect added. The jam that you are refering to, it's the TTT jam? I didn't notice the weirdness, but I didn't listen to it with total attention also. I'll check it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #305 on: April 24, 2017, 09:20:17 PM »
To my understanding, Peart triggered all that stuff, yeah. It's incredibly impressive.

All three members of Rush triggered pre-recorded stuff live; it just depended on the song and what each were doing at the time.

A good example if when Rush used the silly polka intro for La Villa Strangiato on the Time Machine tour. Remember when they had the mess up at the beginning where Alex's guitar didn't work for several minutes and he ad libbed to the crowd while Geddy and Neil kept the backdrop going?  Geddy kept the polka thing going on a loop because they do the triggering in real time.  Had they been playing to a tape, that wouldn't have been possible, since the tape would have only been synched up to the song when played properly and with no stops, pauses, etc.  Very impressive.  Link below for those who have never seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_mbYzM8axo

Still love How Alex gets the crowd singing along to "Still no guitar..."

"I hate Rush
They are so boring
They played that stupid song
For like 20 minutes..."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #306 on: April 25, 2017, 07:34:48 AM »
Wow, that's very impressive, not so much that they (Rush) triggered certain parts of loops in different places, more so that they could hold tempos so that stuff all lined up.

Sounds like they are probably one of not many exceptions to the rule. I'd say the vast majority of the time, if a band is sampling or looping anything, they are playing to a click.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #307 on: April 26, 2017, 01:52:39 AM »
Awesome show in Tilburg last night. Although the crowd was a bit tame at the start/first set. I've heard ACOS and can now die a content man.  :hefdaddy
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline dodido253

« Reply #308 on: April 26, 2017, 02:59:53 AM »
Awesome show in Tilburg last night. Although the crowd was a bit tame at the start/first set. I've heard ACOS and can now die a content man.  :hefdaddy

Awesome show!
Everybody were on fire.. loved every bit of it

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #309 on: April 26, 2017, 10:07:08 AM »
Great show in Tilburg last night. The first half was fine but JLB was probably saving his voice for the Images and ACOS segment. And that was absolutely phenomenal to witness. Really liked the talking to the audience bits, and JP throwing in some Glasgow Kiss! The Jaco Pastorius tribute I didn't feel all that much, but it made As I Am hit really hard afterwards.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline GuitarWizard

« Reply #310 on: April 26, 2017, 06:39:11 PM »
Going back in time to the London gig ... It did live up to expectations as expected.No fancy video screens or fancy lights, very basic staging and I liked that very much. I like to just focus on them anything else is OTT.

Mangini really stole the show for me, he really stood out throughout the show.

I think the guys need a break now, just a gut feeling, nothing I have noticed but from The Astonishing they've been touring really heavy. I'm just worried they will over do it.

The mix wasn't that good though. James was too loud and the kick drum was so intense I had to move seats, anyone else find this or even at different gigs? The other guys were a bit low at times or drowned out by the drums.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: April 27, 2017, 03:56:53 AM »
I didn't notice any unbalances in the mix. True, James was loud, but that's how I like him to be on stage  :lol Two years ago, during the 30th Anniversary mini tour, I could barely hear him!

Anyway, I made a youtube playlist out of the videos I shoot at the London gig. It features:
- PMU+AD
- TTT+Surrounded
- Metropolis + Solo
- LTL
- ACOS V + VII

Enjoy it if you are interested! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLowaZfbqdAVeAWZykocSDMGUhP42EHYDx
- Marco

Offline krands85

« Reply #312 on: April 27, 2017, 04:14:15 AM »
The mix wasn't that good though. James was too loud and the kick drum was so intense I had to move seats, anyone else find this or even at different gigs? The other guys were a bit low at times or drowned out by the drums.

The sound at the Glasgow show was pretty great I thought. JR could have been a little higher at times, but his leads were fine (I was on JPs side, I don't know if that makes any difference). I also specifically mentioned to my friend that it was good the bass/kick drum wasn't overpowering, like it has been at lots of other gigs I've been to.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #313 on: April 27, 2017, 04:28:53 AM »
I didn't notice any unbalances in the mix. True, James was loud, but that's how I like him to be on stage  :lol Two years ago, during the 30th Anniversary mini tour, I could barely hear him!

Anyway, I made a youtube playlist out of the videos I shoot at the London gig. It features:
- PMU+AD
- TTT+Surrounded
- Metropolis + Solo
- LTL
- ACOS V + VII

Enjoy it if you are interested! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLowaZfbqdAVeAWZykocSDMGUhP42EHYDx

Cheers! Great sound - the drums especially come across really well.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #314 on: April 27, 2017, 06:42:39 AM »
I think the guys need a break now, just a gut feeling, nothing I have noticed but from The Astonishing they've been touring really heavy. I'm just worried they will over do it.

That's true they have been. It looks like they will get that break though, so hopefully it will help. This current leg of the tour runs through May, but then their schedule looks like a break through the whole summer. I think the plan is to bring this tour to NA in the fall/winter, so hopefully they will be rested and refreshed by then.