Author Topic: Dave Chappelle  (Read 12688 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Dave Chappelle
« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2021, 02:06:55 PM »
One woman's opinion but You've Got Mail sucked.

When Harry Met Sally is the obvious much better choice of these types of RomComs

They both blow chunks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #176 on: October 19, 2021, 02:07:07 PM »

When Harry Met Sally is the obvious much better choice of these types of RomComs

Obviously it's better. But again, Dave Chappelle isn't in it. If something comes up about Bruno Kirby (RIP) being transphobic or something, then we can all watch When Harry Met Sally.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2021, 02:14:01 PM »
No. I'd say Chino did a cis job explaining it, but you're not asking a trans question. It has cis intention even if it comes off as trans.

Excuse me, as interesting as this is, I'm gonna go watch A Few Cis Men. Love a good Tom Cruise performance.

:lol

But wow already giving up on Who Got Mail?

First of all sir, it's YOU'VE Got Mail.

:rollin :rollin :rollin  :facepalm: I have no idea where the "who" came from

Offline Harmony

« Reply #178 on: October 19, 2021, 02:20:04 PM »

They both blow chunks.

Disagree.  Carrie Fisher alone is worth the price of admission.

Adami, that's how rumors get started!  But your point is taken.    :laugh:
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #179 on: October 19, 2021, 02:22:49 PM »

They both blow chunks.

Disagree.  Carrie Fisher alone is worth the price of admission.

In Star Wars maybe.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #180 on: October 19, 2021, 02:23:17 PM »
You guys are "Meathead" to Tim's "Archie."

I never read Archie, so I don't get either! :lol

I'm actually being serious and not mocking it.

This is legendary on so many levels.    :hefdaddy

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2021, 02:25:06 PM »
It wasn't Archie that I wasn't mocking...it was the subject matter being discussed.

My brain went right to the comic book. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2021, 02:26:45 PM »
It wasn't Archie that I wasn't mocking...it was the subject matter being discussed.

Right, but the reference was to Archie Bunker and All In The Family.  Thus, legend! 

And what's this about Bruno Kirby? 

Offline Adami

« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2021, 02:29:25 PM »

Right, but the reference was to Archie Bunker and All In The Family.  Thus, legend! 

And what's this about Bruno Kirby?

Nothing! Man is a saint!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: October 19, 2021, 02:47:40 PM »
Oh, and am I the only one that prefers the Hallmark Christmas movies over any Meg Ryan movie?   

I'm a sucker for that "she's got a great business career but her dad is sick and she's tired of the ratrace, so goes home, and he's a construction guy that isn't cut out for corporate life and has made a nice life for himself (and his two dogs! There are always two dogs!) in their home town, and they meet and bring out the best in each other!" story line.   :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: October 19, 2021, 02:57:25 PM »
I'm a compassionate person, I think, but my compassion has limits.   

Offline Adami

« Reply #187 on: October 19, 2021, 03:02:33 PM »
Then I guess FOX accomplished their goal.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: October 19, 2021, 03:06:35 PM »

??

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #189 on: October 19, 2021, 03:08:42 PM »
 :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: October 19, 2021, 03:12:54 PM »
I saw When harry met Sally once. I didn;t like it - but my memory of it was that Billy Crystal had chicken legs.

Offline Adami

« Reply #191 on: October 19, 2021, 03:27:28 PM »

??

The article. Eh. I’ll choose not to go down this familiar road right now. You can me Pm if you really want to discuss it though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #192 on: October 19, 2021, 03:38:41 PM »

I generally avoid both Fox and CNN articles, and didn't realize it was a Fox article until after I read it. Did you find the article slanted? I didn't. Seemed pretty straightforward, no?

Did this kid submit real complaint to the school? Were those his quotes? I didn't take this as a fictional story.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: October 19, 2021, 04:01:16 PM »

I generally avoid both Fox and CNN articles, and didn't realize it was a Fox article until after I read it. Did you find the article slanted? I didn't. Seemed pretty straightforward, no?

Did this kid submit real complaint to the school? Were those his quotes? I didn't take this as a fictional story.

I didn't see Fox, I saw MSN.  I wasn't commenting on that, I was commenting on what I see as a level of entitlement that is IMO unreasonable.   That's not his house.   I get the concept of a "safe space" but I don't agree with it; that's where my compassion ends.  We had this conversation a couple years ago when the Yale professors got into a world of hurt because of their handling of Halloween costumes, and one of the narratives from the students was that the Yale campus was a "safe space" (I don't know that the article I cited included the "safe space" reference) and they shouldn't have to encounter things that made them uncomfortable (on an individual basis).   That's entirely opposite of what a true university campus - a crucible of learning, of challenging ideas, of uncomfortable intellectual pursuits - ought to be about.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: October 19, 2021, 04:04:10 PM »
Should the university have hired trans workers to install the radiator?

Installations on equipment are running behind big time. Perhaps the school intended the installation for the summer but was delayed.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #195 on: October 19, 2021, 04:24:50 PM »
What does cis even mean. I have no idea what this term is?
You and I are cis.  Our genders match our physical born-with sexes, and always have.

Is cis an acronym for something? I didn't realize my male gender with my born-with male anatomy needed a term other than...male.

Well, for one, "cis" has nothing to do with being male, so there's that. And two, it's regular practice to have very specific terms for all instances of something for the sake of scientific literature. Cisgender has its origin in the Latin-derived prefix cis-, meaning 'on this side of', which is the opposite of trans-, meaning 'across from' or 'on the other side of'. It's been around since 1994 and is nothing new. What you're saying would be akin to hearing the word heterosexual and commenting "I didn't realize my male straightness with my naturally instinctive desire to want to pound pussy needed a term other than .... straight".

Edit: ninja'd twice

sooo trans doesnt mean bad and cis doesnt mean good?  :biggrin:

If you reread what I typed, I didn't say the terms trans and cis themselves mean 'bad' or 'good', just that their usage for fats is that trans is bad because it is unnatural for the human body, and cis is good because it's natural and more healthy for the human body; and how it is reversed in political discourse these days (eg: someone calling someone cisgender is typically used as an insult these days by LGBTQA people, or those who passionately support them, because non-LGBTQA people ask questions about the LGBTQA community, and anyone trans is considered an angel (Chappelle's latest special exposed how LGBTQA people are anything but angels)) and I concluded that neither prefixes should be used to describe anyone's sexuality.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #196 on: October 19, 2021, 05:38:50 PM »
except cis is absolutely not an insult

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: October 20, 2021, 02:56:20 AM »
But sometimes people use it as one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #198 on: October 20, 2021, 06:02:42 AM »
The only times I've seen it used as one is similar to when a man does something chauvinistic and a women will say "MEN!"

So, as a response to discriminating activity.

Not saying it's never used otherwise, just stating my experience.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2021, 06:54:25 AM »
I laugh when women go "Ugh Typical MAN!!!! ::)" cause it's like :lolpalm: Right and you saying that isn't "typical woman!" . . .

To me it's as meaningless as toilet seat up Vs down argument.

" You left the toilet seat up ! : :angry: "

" Yeah and ? You always leave it down? Whats your point ? Oh right - MEN AMIRITE. "

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2021, 08:13:05 AM »

How would it be used as an insult?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2021, 08:57:19 AM »

If and when someone acts like a "bro", acts exceedingly, cartoonishly masculine ("toxicly" masculine is the terminology today) someone might say "wow, that is so 'cis-'".   I'm not saying it's an EFFECTIVE insult - one can suppose that those acting "toxicly masculine" aren't hip to the language to begin with - but it's one of the ways that the marginalized can call out the behavior they don't like (and thus furthering the marginalization, but that's for another thread). 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2021, 09:01:08 AM »
Huh.. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #203 on: October 20, 2021, 09:02:08 AM »
I'm also not sure it's super relevant?

Anything can be an insult if used as one.

That is SO Stadler....

...hmm, no that is more flattering than insulting. Well you know what I mean!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Harmony

« Reply #204 on: October 20, 2021, 09:27:33 AM »

If and when someone acts like a "bro", acts exceedingly, cartoonishly masculine ("toxicly" masculine is the terminology today) someone might say "wow, that is so 'cis-'".   I'm not saying it's an EFFECTIVE insult - one can suppose that those acting "toxicly masculine" aren't hip to the language to begin with - but it's one of the ways that the marginalized can call out the behavior they don't like (and thus furthering the marginalization, but that's for another thread).

I'm sorry but this doesn't make sense to me.  Most women are also "cis" so what does that have to do with toxic masculinity?
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2021, 09:54:05 AM »
Just a personal guess is that males and females have heard Heterosexuals forever.  Now someone with values  and sexuality is calling those Heterosexual, Cis and that's what's off putting.  Why do they get to name us.  Not that it hasn't happened the other was forever as well.  So some look at it as derogatory.  Just like words, I ill not type out that we Heteros called others for a long time.

I've worked hard not to use them in my vocabulary like I did in my past.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: October 20, 2021, 09:54:38 AM »

I'm sorry but this doesn't make sense to me.  Most women are also "cis" so what does that have to do with toxic masculinity?

I was just explaining how I had heard that used as an insult.  I intended it as an example for TAC, not as an all-encompassing explanation of the use of the word.  You are correct; I imagine it's possible to use it in a female context as well; I'm not a woman so I can't really come up with a version of that, but I'm sure it exists. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #207 on: October 20, 2021, 10:08:12 AM »
When I arrive to work every morning, I always have to walk through the accounting area first, which is comprised of 4-5 women, and I used to always greet them with a friendly, "Morning, ladies," but I stopped it a while back as apparently there are some out there who now considered lady an insult.  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin  I don't think any of the women here would get bothered by it, but I still figured better to be safe than sorry.  It's a mad world these days.  :lol :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #208 on: October 20, 2021, 10:19:29 AM »
I'm just posting to declare that it took me 6 months to discover that Cis meant straight. So we went from straight to hetro to Cis.  ::)

Ugh......

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2021, 10:20:25 AM »
I am just hearing Aerosmith in my head...

"Dude looks like a lady."

and the variant of it...

"Chick looks like a gentleman(?)"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD