Author Topic: Dave Chappelle  (Read 12760 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Dave Chappelle
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2021, 07:15:17 AM »
Also maybe controversial, but I thought he was quite pleasant in You've Got Mail.

Never saw that film.

Bro. I'll be in your area in December, we are totally watching You've Got Mail. It's just lovely.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2021, 07:47:58 AM »
Or someone who types hate speech on others serial identity.

You're sig includes a quote from Bob Newhart, which could be viewed as hate speech against anyone who likes country music.

My sig is a joke about my dislike of country music. You are annoying.

One man's joke is another man's hate speech. The quote calls a large group of people stupid, unintelligent, and uneducated.

Like I said, I don't believe hate speech is real, but I'm just following the logic of this whole outrage over Chappelle's speech.

Then you saw my earlier posts where I said I liked it.  Good open conversations.  He's a comedian.  It's jokes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Harmony

« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2021, 08:03:53 AM »
Is this still the Dave Chappelle thread?  :P

Finally got around to watching the Netflix show.  Meh.  Which is pretty consistently my take on Chappelle.  Sometimes I laugh but most of the time I just think he's trying too hard to say something controversial to get attention.

I also think all the hoopla around some of what he said is hyped up.

But I have to say, for someone who claims not to be homophobic or transphobic or whatever it came off as "me thinks he doth protest too much."  I actually came away wondering if like those studies that show the most homophobic people are often closeted gays, Chappelle is trying to run from something he doesn't like that lives inside of himself.

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Adami

« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2021, 08:11:50 AM »
I'm watching the Daphne part of the show right now.

It's not super duper ultra offensive. He comes off more as an egotistical dick than anything else. I get it's the stage persona, but is it? None of this was very funny, at least to me. And I think there ARE problems with it. Essentially the idea of "the good (insert minority here)". The one who sides with the majority, befriends them, and doesn't push back too much against anything derogatory from them. It is what it is. All of us minorities go through that and have those people and those situations.

So, in my personal opinion only, did Dave do anything horribly egregious that would warrant protests or whatever? Nah
Was he funny? Nah
Was he correct? Nah
Did he spread a decent amount of unhelpful perspectives? Yea.

But such is life. Nothing about this is a huge deal. It's just a guy being unfunny and trying to cover a topic he doesn't understand well enough to cover. Not the first time it's happened, won't be the last.

But who else wants to join me and RJ (he'll eventually agree) in watching You've Got Mail?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2021, 08:29:31 AM »

It's not super duper ultra offensive. He comes off more as an egotistical dick than anything else. I get it's the stage persona, but is it? None of this was very funny, at least to me. And I think there ARE problems with it. Essentially the idea of "the good (insert minority here)". The one who sides with the majority, befriends them, and doesn't push back too much against anything derogatory from them. It is what it is. All of us minorities go through that and have those people and those situations.

So, in my personal opinion only, did Dave do anything horribly egregious that would warrant protests or whatever? Nah
Was he funny? Nah
Was he correct? Nah

But such is life. Nothing about this is a huge deal. It's just a guy being unfunny and trying to cover a topic he doesn't understand well enough to cover. Not the first time it's happened, won't be the last.

But who else wants to join me and RJ (he'll eventually agree) in watching You've Got Mail?

If RJ is cookin', I'm in, but you're SEVERELY over-selling that movie.   :)

Offline Adami

« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2021, 08:30:55 AM »

Was he funny? Nah
Was he correct? Nah

If RJ is cookin', I'm in, but you're SEVERELY over-selling that movie.   :)

Am I? I said it was lovely. It is lovely! It's obviously not When Harry Met Sally or even Sleepless in Seattle, but neither of those movies have Dave Chappelle. We could also just watch Robin Hood Men in Tights or Half Baked? But I'd rather watch You've Got Mail cause RJ hasn't seen it.

If he agrees to cook, I'll handle the baking.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2021, 08:31:27 AM »
I've never seen that movie. I'm down for a DTF movie night.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2021, 08:42:26 AM »
I'll pass on watching that movie, but I'll take some of RJ's cooking

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2021, 09:03:09 AM »
Adami makes killer deserts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2021, 10:58:28 AM »
Wtf? I take a break to pee and all of a sudden I'm cuddling with Adami watching romantic comedies in December and cooking dinner for all of DTF?

Offline Adami

« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2021, 10:59:08 AM »
Wtf? I take a break to pee and all of a sudden I'm cuddling with Adami watching romantic comedies in December and cooking dinner for all of DTF?

Yes. I mean, we don't HAVE to invite everyone else, I was just trying to share the wealth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2021, 11:16:54 AM »
Hey baby
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2021, 11:21:57 AM »

Yes. I mean, we don't HAVE to invite everyone else, I was just trying to share the wealth.

Hmmmm....I....

Hey baby

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2021, 12:25:33 PM »

All in all, that really does sound like a win-win-win, if you ask me.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2021, 12:28:26 PM »
What does cis even mean. I have no idea what this term is?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2021, 12:31:35 PM »
You and I are cis.  Our genders match our physical born-with sexes, and always have.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: October 19, 2021, 12:34:46 PM »
You and I are cis.  Our genders match our physical born-with sexes, and always have.

Is cis an acronym for something? I didn't realize my male gender with my born-with male anatomy needed a term other than...male.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: October 19, 2021, 12:40:00 PM »

Is cis an acronym for something? I didn't realize my male gender with my born-with male anatomy needed a term other than...male.

"Cis-" in this context (science; it's a big term in chemistry too) denotes "on the same side of". 

Offline Adami

« Reply #158 on: October 19, 2021, 12:42:10 PM »

"Cis-" in this context (science; it's a big term in chemistry too) denotes "on the same side of".

Correct.

It's a term you (TAC) probably never heard because there was rarely a need to contrast it. Now that the idea of being trans is getting more traction and notice, then the idea of being CIS is talked about more.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #159 on: October 19, 2021, 12:42:41 PM »

Well, for one, "cis" has nothing to do with being male, so there's that. And two, it's regular practice to have very specific terms for all instances of something for the sake of scientific literature. Cisgender has its origin in the Latin-derived prefix cis-, meaning 'on this side of', which is the opposite of trans-, meaning 'across from' or 'on the other side of'. It's been around since 1994 and is nothing new. What you're saying would be akin to hearing the word heterosexual and commenting "I didn't realize my male straightness with my naturally instinctive desire to want to pound pussy needed a term other than .... straight".

Edit: ninja'd twice

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: October 19, 2021, 12:51:48 PM »
I must still be 12 at heart.  For some reason the "instinctive desire to want to pound pussy" made me laugh.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #161 on: October 19, 2021, 12:53:03 PM »
It's a term you (TAC) probably never heard because there was rarely a need to contrast it. Now that the idea of being trans is getting more traction and notice, then the idea of being CIS is talked about more.

How is it talked about? Not being a dick or anything, but I have never heard of the term before this thread and I'm trying to figure out how it would even be used in a conversation.

Well, for one, "cis" has nothing to do with being male, so there's that. And two, it's regular practice to have very specific terms for all instances of something for the sake of scientific literature. Cisgender has its origin in the Latin-derived prefix cis-, meaning 'on this side of', which is the opposite of trans-, meaning 'across from' or 'on the other side of'. It's been around since 1994 and is nothing new. What you're saying would be akin to hearing the word heterosexual and commenting "I didn't realize my male straightness with my naturally instinctive desire to want to pound pussy needed a term other than .... straight".

No I understand it has nothing to do with being male, but was going off of what Hef said.

I'm sure the first time my grandfather heard the term heterosexual, he must've been WTF is that? I'm straight. I get it.

How is it used in scientific literature? During an experiment? and how is it used in a sentence?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: October 19, 2021, 12:53:19 PM »
You guys are "Meathead" to Tim's "Archie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: October 19, 2021, 12:55:23 PM »

I never read Archie, so I don't get either! :lol

I'm actually being serious and not mocking it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2021, 12:58:52 PM »

How is it talked about? Not being a dick or anything, but I have never heard of the term before this thread and I'm trying to figure out how it would even be used in a conversation.

No I understand it has nothing to do with being male, but was going off of what Hef said.

I'm sure the first time my grandfather heard the term heterosexual, he must've been WTF is that? I'm straight. I get it.

How is it used in scientific literature? During an experiment? and how is it used in a sentence?

I'm sure somewhere out there there's some kind of phycological study comparing cisgender to transgender individuals. Such writings would use both terms as to differentiate between subjects/data when referring to the experiment or research.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: October 19, 2021, 01:07:11 PM »

I never read Archie, so I don't get either! :lol

I'm actually being serious and not mocking it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #166 on: October 19, 2021, 01:40:17 PM »

I am not sure of every usage, but in general it's becoming more common to use it to differentiate between people who identify with their sex at birth and those who do not. So if one is using the term "trans" or "transgender" in any kind of a setting that isn't just people talking, then "cis" or "cisgender" is commonly used to distinguish. Like if I write up a note on a new person, I'll usually include "cisgender" in their demographics if that's what they are. It's used in most clinical writing and becoming more common in general identification as time goes on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: October 19, 2021, 01:43:29 PM »

sooo trans doesnt mean bad and cis doesnt mean good?  :biggrin:

Offline Adami

« Reply #168 on: October 19, 2021, 01:45:36 PM »

sooo trans doesnt mean bad and cis doesnt mean good?  :biggrin:

No. I'd say Chino did a cis job explaining it, but you're not asking a trans question. It has cis intention even if it comes off as trans.

Excuse me, as interesting as this is, I'm gonna go watch A Few Cis Men. Love a good Tom Cruise performance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: October 19, 2021, 01:57:59 PM »
Adami, correct me if I'm wrong but most heterosexual men don't really k own the term cis and it's origins is from a news group in the mid 90's and about transsexuals?

For me, I just heard of this in the past 5 year.  Probably because it's that we are learning more of serial orientation is and it's slowly becoming more acceptable to talk about.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: October 19, 2021, 01:58:59 PM »
No. I'd say Chino did a cis job explaining it, but you're not asking a trans question. It has cis intention even if it comes off as trans.

Excuse me, as interesting as this is, I'm gonna go watch A Few Cis Men. Love a good Tom Cruise performance.

:lol

But wow already giving up on Who Got Mail?

Offline Adami

« Reply #171 on: October 19, 2021, 02:00:21 PM »

:lol

But wow already giving up on Who Got Mail?

First of all sir, it's YOU'VE Got Mail. And I am waiting till I am in the warm embrace of RJ's loving arms to watch that. (I just assumed we'd be on separate chairs, but he brought in cuddles and now he can't take it back)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #172 on: October 19, 2021, 02:00:53 PM »

I am not sure of every usage, but in general it's becoming more common to use it to differentiate between people who identify with their sex at birth and those who do not. So if one is using the term "trans" or "transgender" in any kind of a setting that isn't just people talking, then "cis" or "cisgender" is commonly used to distinguish. Like if I write up a note on a new person, I'll usually include "cisgender" in their demographics if that's what they are. It's used in most clinical writing and becoming more common in general identification as time goes on.

Adami, thank you for explaining it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #173 on: October 19, 2021, 02:01:26 PM »
Adami, correct me if I'm wrong but most heterosexual men don't really k own the term cis and it's origins is from a news group in the mid 90's and about transsexuals?

For me, I just heard of this in the past 5 year.  Probably because it's that we are learning more of serial orientation is and it's slowly becoming more acceptable to talk about.

I may have studied it at some point, but I can't recall off the top of my head the sociological history of the term. It's possible. You're definitely right that it's a term just recently entering popular language and will likely eventually be much more common.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Harmony

« Reply #174 on: October 19, 2021, 02:04:24 PM »
One woman's opinion but You've Got Mail sucked.

When Harry Met Sally is the obvious much better choice of these types of RomComs
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad