Author Topic: ZZ Top  (Read 5331 times)

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
ZZ Top
« on: May 30, 2009, 03:04:14 PM »
Fucking great band!, First time I'm listening to them, rocking out to Planet of Women just now! Listening on Afterburner currently, I cant understand that I haven't checked out this legendary three-piece-band earlier :metal

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: ZZ Top
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 08:03:34 PM »
Just Got Paid is the best Top song hands down.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 08:05:54 PM »
Just Got Paid is the best Top song hands down.
Maybe.  I also love Jesus Just Left Chicago.  But definitely, their older stuff is better than their more recent stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 08:16:43 PM »
Tres Hombres, Fandango, and Eliminator are all fantastic albums IMO.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 08:33:49 PM »
Tres Hombres, Fandango, and Eliminator are all fantastic albums IMO.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 12:44:45 AM »
The ZZ Top Six-Pack is an awesome deal if anyone can get it. It's got their first 6 albums. I got that from my dad along with Eliminator and their greatest hits. Asleep In The Desert is a really sweet instrumental track.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 01:27:01 AM »
ZZ Top is so good it makes the mermaids cry. Billy Gibbons has a bad ass raunchy tone.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 05:47:03 AM »
ZZ Top is so good it makes the mermaids cry. Billy Gibbons has a bad ass raunchy tone.
Instead of a pick, he uses a Mexican peso.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 11:07:53 PM »
Good band.  They had some of my favorite videos in the early MTV days (back when MTV was great), and they had plenty of classics in the 70s, too.  "Cheap Sunglasses" is probably the song of theirs I listen to the most.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 06:03:34 AM »
They are all right.  I have to be in the mood to listen to them, but they are just fun.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline t2fly

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 06:35:52 AM »
The ZZ Top Six-Pack is an awesome deal if anyone can get it. It's got their first 6 albums. I got that from my dad along with Eliminator and their greatest hits. Asleep In The Desert is a really sweet instrumental track.

Aye, got the six pack. The songs are great, but it's remixed, re-editing and some parts are re-recorded. Avoid the six pack, if you can get the six albums seperately (the six pack was originally released because they weren't available on cd, and the songs are remixed to match the sound of their more recent recordings (i.e, utter corny bullshit). Additionally, it's not actually their first six albums, as Deguello was realesed before El Loco, but it was already available on CD so not included in the Six Pack. Get the six pack if the price is right, but you're better off with the more recently released individual CD's. But yes, first seven Top albums are pure awesomeness. Tres Hombres, Deguello, Rio Grande Mud and Fandago are all amazing albums for my tastes. Mescalero is genuinely a contender for worst album of all time.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 06:37:25 AM »
ZZ Top is a really good band, but now thanks to Stephen King, the first song by ZZ Top I think of now is Velcro Fly.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 06:30:14 PM »
Um, if anyone's interested, it appears a new ZZ Top album will be coming out soon, finally, and there's a new song off of it available for streaming. 

https://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News/zz-top-0728-2011/

Offline ghostnotes

• Groove machine.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 07:42:46 PM »

Offline Hayden

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 07:21:20 PM »
Um, if anyone's interested, it appears a new ZZ Top album will be coming out soon, finally, and there's a new song off of it available for streaming.  

https://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News/zz-top-0728-2011/
Well, I was excited at first... but then I listened to it. Could they create an even more cliche chorus if they tried? As a huge fan of the band, and an enjoy-er of most of their output (even the later stuff ("Piece" is a great song)), I was hoping for something pretty cool, especially after an extended period of having no new material from the band. But this song was just cliche, predictable, uninspired, one-dimensional, corny, and all-round a bit of an insult, really.

Offline ghostnotes

• Groove machine.
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 08:13:31 PM »
Pretty much agreed.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 08:42:19 PM »
I haven't really liked the past few albums by them (talking Rhythmeen, XXX, and Mescalero here), so I'm not surprised, though I did read somewhere that this new album would be a return to their old sound, which I love.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 09:12:02 PM »
I love ZZ Top but this new single is really bad.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 08:47:31 AM »
I'm a big ZZ Top fan and always have been. Still, I've rarely heard anything they did after Eliminator and wasn't all that impressed...except.

The local classic radio station plays blocks of artists on the weekends. Saturday night I was driving home from visiting my granddaughters and they were playing a block of ZZ, and the last song of the block was "Rough Boy" off of Afterburner. What a fantastic lead guitar on that song. The tone is just perfect and Billy's note selection just breaks my heart an puts a smile on my face.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens