Author Topic: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour  (Read 56711 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour
« Reply #210 on: December 08, 2016, 05:25:41 AM »
The lighting might have been better on this tour, but I actually liked the big huge screen of the DT12 tour better than the broken up screens.  I'm curious how the TA videos would have come off on the DT12 tour screen.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #211 on: December 08, 2016, 06:49:52 AM »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #212 on: December 08, 2016, 07:13:49 AM »
Yeah, the light show on this tour was tremendous.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CB

« Reply #213 on: December 08, 2016, 02:31:01 PM »
Can I ask, in what way was TA more of a production than previous tours? DT12 had a full opening animation, had the really cool Enigma Machine video etc.
TA had distributed screens and continuous videos, but as a whole I don't see how it was all that much bigger than previous ones. In fact, I kinda felt that it was a bit low balling it given its intended grandiosity.

I got that impression from various interviews that I can't find any more, except this one:

https://bravewords.com/features/dream-theater-gearing-up-for-the-astonishing-tour-weve-never-had-production-at-this-level

JLB: "We were preparing this tour as far as production goes a year before we hit the first show because it's quite elaborate."

The thing I don't understand is, JP and JR mentioned in many interviews that there will be a live DVD, and that they're so proud of TA. They had many chances to film it in 2016, why didn't they do it?

Offline CB

« Reply #214 on: December 08, 2016, 03:13:23 PM »
The lighting might have been better on this tour, but I actually liked the big huge screen of the DT12 tour better than the broken up screens.  I'm curious how the TA videos would have come off on the DT12 tour screen.

I think the broken up screens were phenomenal, but very much depending on where you sit in the theater. I saw the show once from the balcony in the middle very far away from the stage (Amsterdam), once from the balcony row 1 very much at the side (Hannover) and once from row 10 in the middle (Bochum). The effect of the screens was zero in Hannover (I loved the show nevertheless, I concentrated on the band all the time and the audience was so enthusiastic). In Bochum the screens worked very well but no comparison to Amsterdam. I was blown away by the effect there. The action on the screens and the band were mixed in a great way, sometimes it seemed like the whole stage was moving and like MM was flying around on his drum set, I've never seen anything like that before.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: December 08, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »

I think the broken up screens were phenomenal, but very much depending on where you sit in the theater. I saw the show once from the balcony in the middle very far away from the stage (Amsterdam), once from the balcony row 1 very much at the side (Hannover) and once from row 10 in the middle (Bochum). The effect of the screens was zero in Hannover (I loved the show nevertheless, I concentrated on the band all the time and the audience was so enthusiastic). In Bochum the screens worked very well but no comparison to Amsterdam. I was blown away by the effect there. The action on the screens and the band were mixed in a great way, sometimes it seemed like the whole stage was moving and like MM was flying around on his drum set, I've never seen anything like that before.

Yea, I thought they were great overall, was just stating I like one big screen better than multiple smaller screens.  Just a matter of opinion, but it's also possible the multiple screens worked better for the way the animation was presented.  I also sat in the first row and the liek 20th row for my two shows so I had great views although the show at the 1st row, I hardly looked at the screens since I had never been that close to the band, my eyes were on them.

Offline CB

« Reply #216 on: December 08, 2016, 03:46:24 PM »

Yea, I thought they were great overall, was just stating I like one big screen better than multiple smaller screens.  Just a matter of opinion, but it's also possible the multiple screens worked better for the way the animation was presented.  I also sat in the first row and the liek 20th row for my two shows so I had great views although the show at the 1st row, I hardly looked at the screens since I had never been that close to the band, my eyes were on them.

I never managed to get that close to the band, if I would I'd probably not even remember if there were any screens on stage!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #217 on: December 08, 2016, 06:43:41 PM »
   I also sat in the first row ...., I hardly looked at the screens since I had never been that close to the band, my eyes were on them.

Isn't it a great experience?

Yea, I thought they were great overall, was just stating I like one big screen better 
My favorite shot on the big screen on the DT12 tour was when it simply showed a brick wall.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: December 08, 2016, 06:46:14 PM »
   I also sat in the first row ...., I hardly looked at the screens since I had never been that close to the band, my eyes were on them.

Isn't it a great experience?

Yea, I thought they were great overall, was just stating I like one big screen better 
My favorite shot on the big screen on the DT12 tour was when it simply showed a brick wall.

lol and yes, it's weird cause it felt like the band was playing directly to me and maybe the sit down environment helped that in a way cause it was so relaxed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: December 08, 2016, 06:49:47 PM »
, it's weird cause it felt like the band was playing directly to me 

I've told this story before but for the BC&SL tour, my wife and I were front row dead center. During the Hollow Years outro my wife was locked into JM, and must've had a serious look on her face. So MP locks eyes with my wife and draws a smile in the air with his drumstick. All while playing. It was totally cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: December 09, 2016, 06:55:04 AM »

I've told this story before but for the BC&SL tour, my wife and I were front row dead center. During the Hollow Years outro my wife was locked into JM, and must've had a serious look on her face. So MP locks eyes with my wife and draws a smile in the air with his drumstick. All while playing. It was totally cool.

:metal :metal

That's pretty awesome. I thought it was also cool how JP shook my hand after.  Like he knew I was into it, or at least that's what I want to think.  :yarr

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #221 on: December 09, 2016, 10:39:03 AM »

That's a cool story.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #222 on: December 09, 2016, 01:44:45 PM »
Dream Theater: The Astonishing Live At The Sydney Opera House.

Calling it now.
Already did:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=48030.msg2197562#msg2197562

I think I've been calling for Dream Theater Live At The Sydney Opera House for every tour since Score! :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #223 on: December 09, 2016, 04:34:15 PM »
I find it rather unlikely that DT would resume touring for TA after touring for IAW for a year, and also given their experience with the second leg of TA.

I can only imagine two scenarios:
- They secretly filmed shows from the soundboard. Wouldn't be bad, since the tour lived off the screens
- A dedicated non live recording, a la Pink Floyd at Pompeii. Unlikely, but tantalizing.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: December 09, 2016, 04:45:05 PM »
- A dedicated non live recording, a la Pink Floyd at Pompeii. Unlikely, but tantalizing.

What this could potentially benefit is the way to include the videos with the performance.  Like they could adjust angles of the screens and whatnot so it can look better on film (if there were actual problems with this).  Also could more easily incorporate a choir/orchestra in a non live setting. 

Personally, I'd rather them perform in front of an audience though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #225 on: December 09, 2016, 04:48:25 PM »

What this could potentially benefit is the way to include the videos with the performance.  Like they could adjust angles of the screens and whatnot so it can look better on film (if there were actual problems with this).  Also could more easily incorporate a choir/orchestra in a non live setting. 

Personally, I'd rather them perform in front of an audience though.

So you could have a live album without an audience or a (BTFW I'm looking at you) studio album with an audience. ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2016, 04:50:30 PM »
I find it rather unlikely that DT would resume touring for TA after touring for IAW for a year, and also given their experience with the second leg of TA.

I will just say that what is currently under discussion by the band makes sense in terms of logistics and...all other things necessary to be considered.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: December 09, 2016, 05:27:54 PM »

I will just say that what is currently under discussion by the band makes sense in terms of logistics and...all other things necessary to be considered.

I do wonder if they rotate TA songs on the I&W tour to keep those songs fresh for the band if there is a scheduled TA filming in the future.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #228 on: December 12, 2016, 09:36:15 AM »

The only thing keeping me optimistic about one day being able to watch The Astonishing in my living room are posts like this.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #229 on: December 12, 2016, 10:39:48 AM »

Calling it now. They will be filming this at Heaven's Cove.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #230 on: December 12, 2016, 10:51:09 AM »

Where is that?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #231 on: December 12, 2016, 11:27:28 AM »

Where is that?
I would think somewhere near Ravenskill, outside of the Great Northern Empire..  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:10:29 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #232 on: December 12, 2016, 11:34:58 AM »

When the moon is in the Seventh House, and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2016, 05:51:31 PM »

So we will never get a dvd

Offline jsbru

« Reply #234 on: December 12, 2016, 07:00:09 PM »

IOW, leaving TA props and screens in America and picking them up when they fly back to Australia and Asia?

It's not that astonishing to think they just decided 1 leg of TA is enough in any certain area.  The first leg of each tour was well-attended.  But since they've already booked Europe, they're going to do I&W instead, than go back to TA for Asia/Down Under.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #235 on: December 13, 2016, 08:40:36 AM »

So we will never get a dvd
We will.  In the Age of Aquarius.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #236 on: December 13, 2016, 08:53:54 AM »
Dream Theater just posted to their FB page "Dream Theater - The Astonishing Out 1.29 | Official Site Tour". When you go to the site, the first date, is on 1/30/17. What's with this 1/29 Astonishing Out?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #237 on: December 13, 2016, 08:55:04 AM »
Isn't that the date that the album released this year? Maybe they're just way behind on updating the site.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #238 on: December 13, 2016, 09:03:02 AM »
Isn't that the date that the album released this year? Maybe they're just way behind on updating the site.

Interesting. Just looked it up. It was. It'd be pretty cool if they played it one final time on the one one year anniversary for a live recording.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #239 on: December 13, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »
On the anniversary they're busy playing in Rome - or traveling there.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: December 13, 2016, 05:31:16 PM »
On the anniversary they're busy playing in Rome - or traveling there.

Yea I saw that that this morning and looked like an old headline that got inserted for the new tour with the timeliness lining up.

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #241 on: December 15, 2016, 06:58:15 AM »
Well Jordan did say in his interview before the Dec. 2nd show in Orlando (which I was at ) that there will be a dvd for the Astonishing show but he didn't know when...I didn't ever hear of any of the shows being filmed..
Hmmm.....
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #242 on: December 15, 2016, 07:36:28 AM »
Well Jordan did say in his interview before the Dec. 2nd show in Orlando (which I was at ) that there will be a dvd for the Astonishing show but he didn't know when...I didn't ever hear of any of the shows being filmed..
Hmmm.....

Source?

Offline CB

« Reply #243 on: December 15, 2016, 01:59:14 PM »
Hmmm.....

Source?

https://soundcloud.com/dreamtheaterradio/dtr-ep-26-jordan-rudess-interview

16:20

Offline Evai

« Reply #244 on: December 15, 2016, 06:12:02 PM »
I'm calling it now: They want to keep all the fans happy/willing to spend money, so instead of just releasing an Astonishing blu ray, they're recording an I&W set to go with it. They'll package it together as 'Astonishing Images' or some shit. 'Dream Theater playing their newest album and also one of their oldest'. That way, even the people who didn't like TA will buy it for I&W, and maybe they'll change their minds about TA after seeing the visual experience that goes with it.

/wishful thinking
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.