Author Topic: Game 6  (Read 1126 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Game 6
« on: October 29, 2016, 01:52:23 PM »
What is, for your money, the best Game 6 ever?

I know I am biased, but the 2011 World Series cannot be topped.  The comebacks in both the bottom of the 9th and 10th, Freese's walkoff in the 11th...just pure magic.

I will put the 2013 NBA finals a close second. Ray Allen makes the shot to help the Heat to survive, before LeBron brings it home in OT.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Game 6
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 07:26:21 PM »
1986 World Series is the one that immediately came to mind, and I don't really care for either team.

No Denkinger love from the biased Cards fan?  :biggrin:

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 07:56:36 PM »
2004 ALCS - The Bloody Sock game (this is in no way an endorsement of Schilling)
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 08:27:49 PM »
What is, for your money, the best Game 6 ever?

I know I am biased, but the 2011 World Series cannot be topped.  The comebacks in both the bottom of the 9th and 10th, Freese's walkoff in the 11th...just pure magic.

That is far and away the best, most exciting and magical game 6 of all time across all genres.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 08:54:32 PM »
1986 World Series is the one that immediately came to mind

Same, but I'm a Mets fan. I know I'm biased but I'm not sure there's a more iconic sports moment in the last few decades that surpasses the Mookie Wilson hit.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 09:26:09 PM »

That is far and away the best, most exciting and magical game 6 of all time across all genres.

Hell yeah! :coolio :hat

1986 World Series is the one that immediately came to mind, and I don't really care for either team.

Definitely in the conversation, but I think a notch below the ones I mentioned. 

Not a classic game, in any sense of the word.  The game is remember for a blown call and nothing else.

2004 ALCS - The Bloody Sock game (this is in no way an endorsement of Schilling)

Great, gusty performance, but I don't think the game itself was good enough to warrant being in the conversation, IMO.

I know I'm biased but I'm not sure there's a more iconic sports moment in the last few decades that surpasses the Mookie Wilson hit.

I think the moment is known more because of Buckner, not Mookie Wilson. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 10:00:05 PM »
A notch below? I'm pretty sure nobody remembers the 2011 World Series except for diehard Cards fans. I bet most people wouldn't be able to tell you who even played in the World Series in 2011 if asked.

And yes it's known as the Buckner play but you know what I mean.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 10:04:43 PM »
I think that has more to do with the media than anything else (the Buckner play had a NY team PLUS a Boston team, while 2011 was St. Louis and Texas).  Big moments involving certain cities will always be talked about and shown more, and showing them more means they get stuck in the heads of everyone.

Case in point: Joe Carter's walk-off HR to win the World Series in the early 90s should be considered one of the biggest home runs ever, if not THE biggest, but it is rarely talked about, because he played for Toronto, and who cares about them, right?  If a Yankee or Red Sox hit a walk-off in the World Series to clinch the series, we would never stop seeing it.

Besides, the premise of this thread was BEST game 6, not most iconic. :P

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 10:12:06 PM »
I vaguely remember that home run but I do recall seeing a recap somewhere. That must've been a really great moment to see live.

I see what you mean with best but man the 86 comeback in the bottom of the 9th to not only tie the series but upset what was surely to be the curse breaker for the Sox has got to reign supreme.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 10:19:09 PM »
Nope. ;)

The Cardinals were down to their last strike in both the 9th and 10th innings, facing elimination, and tied it up in both instances before winning it in the 11th to tie the series and send it to Game 7 (which they won).

And there is and was no such things as curses. :lol :biggrin:

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 01:41:23 AM »
You're all too young to remember the greatest game 6 ever was in 1975 between the Boston Red Sox and my beloved Cincinnati Reds. It went 12 innings before Carlton Fisk hit a walk off home run to beat my Reds 7-6 and send it to Game 7. There were a ton of incredible moments in that game...Red Sox pinch hitter Bernie Carbo hitting a game-tying home run in the eighth; Reds reliever Will McEnaney pitching out of a bases loaded, no out jam in the bottom of the ninth; and Boston's Dwight Evans making a spectacular eleventh-inning over the wall catch to rob Joe Morgan of a go-ahead home run.  It's best remembered in Boston for the walk-off home run hit in the bottom of the twelfth by Carlton Fisk. Considering it was a long time before they made it back, and finally won, people from Boston still talk about that game and that home run. This set up game 7, which solidified the nickname, the "Big Red Machine" when the Reds won their first back-to-back World Series; and is a huge reason the 75 series is arguably the greatest World Series ever played. I was 12, and my parents let me stay up late to watch. We led 3 games to 2, and had chance after chance taken away. Despite our losing that game it was still an amazing game to watch.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 01:46:41 AM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 07:20:27 AM »
I was waiting for someone to mention that game.  When I made this thread, the ones I figured would get mentioned were:

2011 World Series
2013 NBA Finals
1975 World Series
1986 World Series

And to be a bit of a homer, I would give an honorable mention to the Monday Night Miracle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monday_Night_Miracle_(ice_hockey)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 07:46:57 AM »
I stayed away because there has been so many great game 6'so in Boston history.   I'd rather see someone else's take.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 10:36:07 AM »

Great, gusty performance, but I don't think the game itself was good enough to warrant being in the conversation, IMO.

As a single game, I might agree....I was thinking of the combination of that performance, in that context, with what was on the line, and the demons of the previous ALCS to be exorcised.  Sox had been down 0-3, won games 4 & 5 on some improbable, ordering-on-absurd heroics, but still had to win game 6 to get to a 50/50 shot in game 7...on a pitcher with a shredded ankle.  And Game 6 is really where they won the series, as game 7 became the "dead man walking" game game for NYY.  Maybe "highest drama" rather than "best?
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 12:25:30 PM »

Not a classic game, in any sense of the word.  The game is remember for a blown call and nothing else.

I was being facetious, thus the grin.

Remembering the 86 WS game for Buckner isn't really fair.  Clemens threw seven solid innings and was only removed to be pinch hit for with a runner on second.  Mets tied it in the eighth, and in the ninth, the Mets had the winning run on third and were denied.  Dave Henderson homered to lead off the tenth and Boston tacked on another run.  Then the Mets had their two out rally after the scoreboard congratulated the Red Sox for winning the series.  Knight was down to his last strike, and Wilson had a ten pitch AB and battled for that dribbler to first.