Author Topic: Insane things that rich people spend their money on  (Read 9105 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Insane things that rich people spend their money on
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2016, 06:40:29 AM »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2016, 07:17:01 PM »
Ok, here's a good one for the thread....

This is a pic of a cut of meat we got at work, it's a grade A5 Matsusaka wagyu ribeye steak, and runs about $80 a pound, untrimmed our price. For the customer, we're charging $24 an ounce....

(I tasted some of the trim, better than anything I've ever had by far)

I'm a nice, well-marbled ribeye's biggest fan, but that really looks like overkill to me. Maybe it's just the lighting in the picture, but it doesn't look very appealing.

Also, how do you slice it to sell by the ounce? Do you slice off a steak and tell them what it costs afterward, or take your best shot when they ask for 13.2794 ounces?

It's not the lighting, it is that marbled. And it's out of this frikkin world... As to how they do it, I'm not sure, it's on the night a la carte menu and I'm a day banquet guy. I do know it's a 3 ounce minimum, so maybe they have it blocked off in 3,4, and 5 ounce portions and cryo-vacced. I'll try and remember to ask the chef tomorrow.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2016, 01:16:23 AM »
Here's something that I thought is pretty insane for rich people to spend money on.  Playing poker at the highest stakes against the top players and not be rattled at all if they lose a lot.  I recall Guy Laliberte (Cirque Du Soleil founder) losing like around $20 million dollars in online poker and, to him, it was probably didn't affect him at all.  Any money he does win goes to his One Drop Foundation.  Heck, I watched, a few days ago, on Twitch of an gas trader guy name Bill Perkins (another wealthy businessman and amateur player) and he was playing Omaha online and was figuratively lighting money on fire and he was playing and streaming on a moving yacht.

Ahhh, I can only imagine what it would be like to be filthy rich and lose a lot of money playing poker and have it not affect me or my wealth at all and just chuckle in the end, knowing I'm having a fun time playing against the top players at high stakes.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2016, 09:32:56 AM »
Pools are kind of a pain in the ass, but if money wasn't an object I would get one like this:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2016, 09:56:08 AM »

Mercedes V10 Quad Turbo with white gold panels (not plated)

That looks really pretty...and I happen to like Mercedes over BMW.

I imagine that would get dirty like nobodies business.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2016, 01:08:51 PM »
Pools are kind of a pain in the ass, but if money wasn't an object I would get one like this:

Now that is a pool.  And I'm thinking if you can afford a pool like this, then paying someone to take care of it for you isn't an issue.  It's just a regular expense, like your electric bill, which you don't worry about either.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2016, 01:21:14 PM »
Indoor pool would be a must. Maybe one inside a conservatory so when it's raining you can see / hear the rain hitting the glass and be indoors in your pool all warm.

Offline 7th

« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2016, 02:43:09 PM »
I've always been fascinated by people who don't play but collect vintage guitars.  Some collectors throw down millions of dollars for old beat up instruments.  I suppose there is an investment aspect to it though I think the market is topping out now.  I can understand why a performing/recording musicians may invest in something like that, but non players who stick them in glass cases make me scratch my head.  Beautiful instruments need to be played in my humble opinion.  Norman's Rare Guitars is one of my favorite youtube channels.  It's cool to see all the vintage instruments they trade and the great musicians who buy them.  A lot of those cats have custom/signature instruments built just for them, yet they'll go into Norm's and drool over a vintage axe like a kid in a candy store.
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2016, 03:35:09 PM »
I've always been fascinated by people who don't play but collect vintage guitars.  Some collectors throw down millions of dollars for old beat up instruments.  I suppose there is an investment aspect to it though I think the market is topping out now.  I can understand why a performing/recording musicians may invest in something like that, but non players who stick them in glass cases make me scratch my head.  Beautiful instruments need to be played in my humble opinion.  Norman's Rare Guitars is one of my favorite youtube channels.  It's cool to see all the vintage instruments they trade and the great musicians who buy them.  A lot of those cats have custom/signature instruments built just for them, yet they'll go into Norm's and drool over a vintage axe like a kid in a candy store.
Yeah, that is interesting. I've seen Joe Bonamassa, who seemingly owns more guitars than I can count, in a few videos there, and he's always super excited.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2016, 03:39:12 PM »

Charlie Watts allegedly buys classic cars just to sit in.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2016, 07:44:43 PM »
I imagine that would get dirty like nobodies business.

Just like Zydar. :zydar:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline 7th

« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2016, 10:02:37 PM »
Yeah, that is interesting. I've seen Joe Bonamassa, who seemingly owns more guitars than I can count, in a few videos there, and he's always super excited.

Right, but he's a player, and a damn good one AND he actually uses vintage guitars and amps on stage.  When you see him cranking out riffs on a Les Paul, chances are it's a six-figure vintage model.  But, like some businessman who buys them up and keeps them locked away, not even on display, I trip on that because it is something I'd never do personally.  I suppose they could be interested in the rich history, the investment value, or just the artistry of guitars, I just can't imagine having instruments I didn't play.  Honestly, I can't think of anything I'd collect that I didn't personally use.  I guess I'm just not the collector type.

On Charlie Watts buying cars to sit in, now that is such a British rock god kind of thing to do.  But, the guy has been super wealthy most of his life so I suppose at some point you just figure what the heck.  But, sheesh, if I had a bunch of slick rides I'd certainly be driving them at least once in a while!
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2016, 12:00:07 AM »
Right, but he's a player, and a damn good one AND he actually uses vintage guitars and amps on stage.  When you see him cranking out riffs on a Les Paul, chances are it's a six-figure vintage model.  But, like some businessman who buys them up and keeps them locked away, not even on display, I trip on that because it is something I'd never do personally.  I suppose they could be interested in the rich history, the investment value, or just the artistry of guitars, I just can't imagine having instruments I didn't play.  Honestly, I can't think of anything I'd collect that I didn't personally use.  I guess I'm just not the collector type.
Oh, I totally agree, I was just kind of throwing out a comment about Norman's Rare Guitars. I actually revisited one of those videos, and Joe Bonamassa was talking about exactly this topic, saying that they need to encourage the next generation of collectors who actually play, and not let all of these guitars end up hidden away in some rich guy's house, never to be seen.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2018, 07:53:41 AM »
Dwayne Wade's house

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2018, 08:06:28 AM »
Apparently that’s Chateau Artisan. Dwayne was married there but I can’t find anything about it being his house.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2018, 08:07:54 AM »
Yeah, my bad. Turns out he just leased it for the wedding.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2018, 08:23:27 AM »
That wedding venue looks like the one I am going to soon for my family friend that is marrying the situation

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2018, 08:46:29 AM »
Unbelievable; I thought he just got married? Or are there two ceremonies?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2018, 08:47:34 AM »
Unbelievable; I thought he just got married? Or are there two ceremonies?

Their engagement party was Saturday.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2018, 09:51:20 PM »
I've stayed away from this thread for a few different reasons. But, I'll just say that ones purchasing habits and power are relative to ones own experience and circumstance. There are things I do and buy that people would think are excessive.  But by no means am I a billionaire.  Far, far from it. But I'm doing okay,  and I don't really care what people think about whether my purchases are insane or not.  For example,  I fly first class every time I fly, if possible.  I'm an old dude,  and I hate being in a small-assed, cramped seat in coach. Besides, I've earned the right and have the means to do so. I know people who think I'm crazy for doing that.  But I think it's far cheaper than a Wheels Up or NetJet membership (although I came close last year of jumping into that game). The point is, I don't think some of the things I spend my money on are crazy or insane. But I know people who think I'm nuts. But, I know I'm blessed. I grew up in a lower middle class family.  So, I  didn't have much growing up. I had enough,  but my family wasn't wealthy. Mrs. Vox grew up the opposite.  Her family was old stock exchange, trust fund rich. Interestingly I'm much more materialistic than she is. I like to spend money on friends, andfamily.  She had to fight the "she's a rich girl" moniker her whole life.  So, she's not into material things. But I want to enjoy life. I'd probably buy those damn potato chips.  Hell, I bought Mrs. Vox a pound of the worlds most expensive chocolate a few years ago. And over the past 6 years or so I've invested well into the six figures, on a pretty amazing collection of rare Scotch. Insane? I don't think so.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 08:09:34 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."