Author Topic: Insane things that rich people spend their money on  (Read 9152 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Insane things that rich people spend their money on
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 01:05:15 PM »
Up until now probably nobody had ever heard of St. Erik's. Now we're all talking about them. Might prompt somebody to try their beer if it's available. Moreover, if we're being honest, there isn't one of us that wouldn't want to try one of those chips, just so we can ridicule it. If those people were smart, and I suspect they are, they'd find away to mass produce those things at 95% or so of the quality and charge $3/bag instead of $1.29 for the Lay's equivalent. They'd sell a bundle from people who now know who and what they are and want to find out what the fuss is about.

There are truffles on those chips!  That's an expensive ingredient.
No, it's seaweed that tastes like truffles.

Maybe that is even more expensive  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 01:22:19 PM »
I would like a nice house, big enough for me and my family with a couple of extra bedrooms for guests.  I would also like a study.

I'm not much of a car guy, so that wouldn't be an area of blowing money.

The main "stuff" I would spend money on would be music, books, and movies.  I would also travel, and build a home addition for a music room/home studio and lots of instruments to go in it.

But I'm not buying 5 potato chips for $50.00.

Probably.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 01:48:18 PM »
I don't even want to think about the weird things I'll spend money on when I'm rich.

Love the confident optimism here. Not if I'm rich, but when I'm rich.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2016, 01:56:48 PM »
I know, right? I kind of love it, too.  ;)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2016, 02:15:15 PM »
If millions of dollars showed up in my bank account tomorrow, not much would really change.

I would pay off my school loans and probably buy a 3 bedroom house somewhere in a rural area. Everything else that I want or do as hobbies I can pay for with just regular money from working. 

I would probably buy those potato chips though
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:20:41 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 08:25:25 AM »
Not to shit on people's parade or anything, but I actually think about this a lot, and I think all of a sudden "being rich" would be a far bigger pain in the ass than the upside of a boss home theater and great potato chips would overcome.

I think we forget that people like Trump and the Kennedy's were born into it (and so had the infrastructure in place) and Cuban and Gates gradually worked into it (so were able to adjust and accumulate) and so they are equipped to handle this wealth.  I'm comfortable, but I'm not "rich", so I'm not equipped.  I can see all the second cousins and past acquaintances (note I didn't say "friends") coming out of the woodwork with their "Hey, if I only had $50K, I could really get my rap career going! I'll give you a piece of the upside!" and their "Hey, you remember when I took care of that speeding ticket for you?" asking for a little sliver of the pie.  We were talking about this a couple weeks ago when the lottery was some insane number, and when I calculated JUST our parents and the kids - blood family - at the next generation (meaning, my daughter, my wife's kids from a previous marriage, and our nieces and nephews) it was 16.   Then, my brother and my brother-in-law are both with women who have kids from a previous marriage and those kids are both good kids and included in the fam.   So that's another 5.   Add close cousins to me (and my wife) and that's another 8 or 10... now all of a sudden, if you give any serious money, you've taken tens of millions of dollars out. 

I might just bury it in the backyard.   After my trip to Munich with el Barto (he doesn't know it yet, but I'm ordering a car too).   

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2016, 09:35:51 AM »
Those do look like damn tasty chips.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2016, 09:48:39 AM »
Mo' money mo' problems

Totally valid point about people not equipped to become instantly super-rich. But I don't get this "mo money mo problems' mentality. Does wealth really make life more challenging? Is it so hard to not spend all this money on 3rd cousins, blow, and $10 a piece Pringles?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2016, 11:49:08 AM »
Totally valid point about people not equipped to become instantly super-rich. But I don't get this "mo money mo problems' mentality. Does wealth really make life more challenging? Is it so hard to not spend all this money on 3rd cousins, blow, and $10 a piece Pringles?

To some people, it is hard.  Don't know why.  Maybe, some people has that "wants to be a baller" mentally and actually wants to live it without understanding certain ramifications/circumstances.  This leads to another question.  Is the curse of winning the lottery actually a curse, or just a rare occurrence of unfortunate events after a person wins the lottery?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2016, 08:40:32 PM »
Those do look like damn tasty chips.

They really do.  If the question is whether or not they're "worth" 10 bucks each, that's up to the individual.  Or not.  To some, price really is no object.  These chips are the bomb, I like them, I will order a box.  To me, that's nuts, but they don't give a shit what I think anyway, so we're good.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2016, 08:23:13 AM »
Mo' money mo' problems

I think it is.   How many people know - I mean KNOW, in the sense of making decisions based on this - that money is how you make money?  Meaning, you can take the principal of your winnings and put it in a vehicle that generates the money you use for your potato chips and blow.   Meaning, you don't walk in to a titty bar with a briefcase filled with $20s (as was done in one case; not surprisingly, the guy got rolled and later claimed bankruptcy).  People who know about money and know about how money works, buy the strip club.  It sounds facetious - and in some cases it is - but there IS a difference between "spending" money and "burning" money.  Mark Cuban owns a plane, sure, but it's written off through the Mavericks, and I imagine when he's not using it, someone else is and they're paying for it (probably Mr. Lottery Winner, who doesn't know better).   

Then there's the difference between "the purchase price" and the "maintenance price".   Sure, you buy that boat for a $100K, no big deal, right?   Except, did you know that it needs a slip (could be as much as the boat, with an on-going fee)?  Gasoline/diesel for boats is EXPENSIVE.   Winterizing.  Captaining (if you're not so inclined).  Mooring and dock fees when you take it somewhere.    Cars;  "Oh, I'm buying a LAMBORCHINO!!" not realizing that you can't drive that as a primary car, and you're a fucking idiot if you put it in your garage.  So now you have fees there... all this stuff adds up, and can in some cases (houses, boats) double or even triple your investment.  So if you're not good with money to start with, and you're not protecting your principal, you're going to be in trouble before too long.

Finally, I don't think people realize how much free shit the really wealthy (as opposed to rich) get.   If you can make money for someone else, you can avoid paying for things.  Do you think celebrities PAY for the drinks and stuff at clubs?  Tickets?    Do you know how good it is for a club to have Kim Kardashian or Kanye West at their club?   If they're cool, they drop a couple hundreds on the staff and what not, but they're not paying for the same shit you, Mr. Lottery Winner, is. 

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2016, 09:29:56 AM »
Quality healthcare...
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »
It figures Jackie would have the lowdown on Mr. Cage and his wacky spending habits.

Superman comic #1 though.  No problem there.  When you've got money, you buy what you want.  Octopus, shark, albino cobras, that's all silliness.  But an actual collector's item, that's cool.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2016, 12:27:50 PM »
Truth!

Apparently his island is next to Johnny Depp's. Brb...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2016, 12:31:17 PM »
Quality healthcare...

My own personal nurse just out of school. :zydar:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2016, 12:50:01 PM »
Quality healthcare...

Really? You wouldn't want someone more experienced?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2016, 01:16:08 PM »
Quality healthcare...

Been there, done that... Well I've done both, but young and eager is the better beaver. They usually taste like sweet roses as opposed to a dusty old house plant.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2016, 01:17:30 PM »
What Stadler said.  I would be terrified to come into tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.  At least I know I would need sound legal, tax and insurance advice (unlike his Mr. Lottery Winner), but from who?  Who can you trust?  You may be able to trust close family, but they don't likely know anything about managing such money.  How would one select a real professional in these areas?  This would cause me huge amounts of anguish.

Online Adami

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2016, 01:18:33 PM »
Quality healthcare...

Been there, done that... Well I've done both, but young and eager is the better beaver. They usually taste like sweet roses as opposed to a dusty old house plant.

But we're talking about a nurse.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2016, 01:20:30 PM »
I am, too...kind of.

Online Adami

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2016, 01:21:47 PM »
I am, too...kind of.

I just think that if someone was in charge of your physical well-being, and on your personal payroll, it would be prudent to have a more experienced nurse. Being young might mean they have a more modern education, but I feel that much of what they learn is on the job.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2016, 01:36:07 PM »
What a stick in the mud you are...   :lol  ;)

Online Adami

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2016, 01:37:49 PM »
What a stick in the mud you are...   :lol  ;)

I'm just worried about your health man. I want you to have top quality medical care.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2016, 01:52:54 PM »
I'm perfectly mentally sound...

Okay, that's a lie.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2016, 03:12:14 PM »
Is there a hug emoji? I don't have the codes for any of them that aren't listed here.

:hug:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2016, 12:06:10 AM »
Ok, here's a good one for the thread....

This is a pic of a cut of meat we got at work, it's a grade A5 Matsusaka wagyu ribeye steak, and runs about $80 a pound, untrimmed our price. For the customer, we're charging $24 an ounce....

(I tasted some of the trim, better than anything I've ever had by far)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2016, 12:21:45 AM »
I wouldn't mind tasting some trim right now.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2016, 12:25:41 AM »
Too easy bro...I expect more intricate innuendos out of you man.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2016, 12:54:56 AM »
If you want me to be easy, Sunday morning's the best time for that.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2016, 01:19:50 PM »
Ok, here's a good one for the thread....

This is a pic of a cut of meat we got at work, it's a grade A5 Matsusaka wagyu ribeye steak, and runs about $80 a pound, untrimmed our price. For the customer, we're charging $24 an ounce....

(I tasted some of the trim, better than anything I've ever had by far)

I'm a nice, well-marbled ribeye's biggest fan, but that really looks like overkill to me. Maybe it's just the lighting in the picture, but it doesn't look very appealing.

Also, how do you slice it to sell by the ounce? Do you slice off a steak and tell them what it costs afterward, or take your best shot when they ask for 13.2794 ounces?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2016, 04:59:54 PM »
Just why?

From the web of the chips:

All income generated from the sale of these chips will be donated to charity.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2016, 06:07:40 AM »
Yachts.. or any sort of method of land or sea transportation that costs more than 30 grand.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.