Author Topic: Insane things that rich people spend their money on  (Read 9106 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Insane things that rich people spend their money on
« on: October 24, 2016, 12:18:56 PM »
In an alternate universe, Orbert is a multi-billionaire and likes to buy things that normal people cannot, because it makes him feel special.

Today, his package from St. Eriks arrived, and his hot female butler opened it and brought it to him:

They are perfect.  Five of them, in perfect condition:

Of course, they look like potato chips.  They are potato chips, you uncultured swine!

Certified, premium potato chips from St. Eriks.

His butler presented one to him.

He fired her, for daring touch one of his potato chips.  Bummer.  She was hot.  But rules are rules.  That's okay, the next one will have bigger tits.

I am completely serious.  Over $50 (U.S.) for a box of five, and you can't have any, because they're all sold out.  Alternate Orbert bought the last box.  If a Star Trek-type event happens and universes collapse into one and I ever meet this alternate Orbert, I will punch him in the face.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:14:02 PM by Orbert »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Insane things that rich people spend their money on
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 12:25:59 PM »
I can't see any of your pics at work. Forgive me for not commenting on what they are.

This is always the first thing that comes to mind when I dream of that kind of money. I know it probably seems weird in a world full of yachts and private limos, but if I had my own private RC facility, I'd me a happy man. There'd be a massive wood/metal shop off to the side as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 12:37:03 PM »
Well, at least Alternate Orbert properly referred to them as potato chips, and not "crisps" or some other such nonsense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 01:25:37 PM »
For 99 cents Alternate TAC will stick with these:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 01:30:08 PM »
I don't understand only buying the most expensive things simply because you're loaded.

If i had like 50m in the bank I'd obvs get a few things but I wouldn't blow it on Lear Jet flights to Paris to eat at the Ritz or Hilton or whatever every single night...

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 01:50:26 PM »
I can't see any of your pics at work. Forgive me for not commenting on what they are.

This is always the first thing that comes to mind when I dream of that kind of money. I know it probably seems weird in a world full of yachts and private limos, but if I had my own private RC facility, I'd me a happy man. There'd be a massive wood/metal shop off to the side as well.

That seems pretty cool to me.  I'm not sure where you'd draw the line, but an RC track would be on this side of it for me.  I like model trains, and having a huge shed in the backyard for setting up my electric trains would be awesome.  I see this as being along those lines, feeding the hobby.  Some hobbies take more room than others.

If I was into boats, I guess the analog would be owning a private lake for just my boats.  That's over the line for me, so I guess it's all relative.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 01:54:44 PM »
Well, at least Alternate Orbert properly referred to them as potato chips, and not "crisps" or some other such nonsense.
^^ this for the win

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 01:59:39 PM »
🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 :police:  :hat

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 02:19:20 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A939QRRSNV4

Pretty sure that's one male fantasy I'll never have.

I mean, apologizing once is bad enough.

Insane things to spend money on? Full time nannies. Spend some damn time with your kids.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 03:05:48 PM »
Insane things to spend money on? Full time nannies. Spend some damn time with your kids.

I agree with this so hard that I am doubting whether I read it correctly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 03:08:01 PM »
Forget nannies, I'm thinking year round boarding schools :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 03:16:04 PM »
Alternate Orbert, you completely forgot that:

For the best taste experience, these chips should be savored with S:t Eriks India Pale Ale.

so how dare you order those and NOT include the necessary drink to accompany such a snack.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 03:22:32 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »
Speaking of which, if I was ridiculously rich, I would spend an obscene amount of money on beer. Instead of making 15 different trades and trips to breweries until I can get my hands on it, I could just pay the secondary market price and drop a grand on a rare barrel-aged stout.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 07:42:32 PM »
Speaking of which, if I was ridiculously rich, I would spend an obscene amount of money on beer. Instead of making 15 different trades and trips to breweries until I can get my hands on it, I could just pay the secondary market price and drop a grand on a rare barrel-aged stout.

My dude, I didn't know anybody else here was deep enough down the rabbit hole of beer to be trading and whatnot, cheers :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 07:45:26 PM »
Ahem.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 07:50:17 PM »

Bro hug.

Is there a hug emoji? I don't have the codes for any of them that aren't listed here.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 07:52:39 PM »
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 08:10:50 PM »
Just why?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 08:19:24 PM »

My dude, I didn't know anybody else here was deep enough down the rabbit hole of beer to be trading and whatnot, cheers :hat
Honestly, a couple of my buddies handle more of the trading than I do, but I try to mule as much as I can and we work together.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 08:53:06 PM »

Honestly, a couple of my buddies handle more of the trading than I do, but I try to mule as much as I can and we work together.

Nice, whereabouts are you/what stuff do you typically mule?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 09:26:53 PM »

Bro hug.

Is there a hug emoji? I don't have the codes for any of them that aren't listed here.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 10:08:30 PM »
I actually just moved to the Dayton/Cincinnati area, and I don't think there's all that much out here that people are interested in. I was between Pittsburgh and Cleveland before. Voodoo (barrel room stuff especially), Jackie O's (also known for barrel-aged excellence), and Fat Head's were usually the most sought after, though Fat Head's distribution has expanded quite a bit now. The Brew Gentlemen in Pittsburgh are also making insanely good northeast style IPAs, but they don't distribute.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 06:45:49 AM »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 07:35:22 AM »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2016, 07:40:22 AM »
Those potato chips are pretty mental.

Having said that, there are apparently people who pay for gold flakes on their dessert. Literal gold grated on to their ice cream or whatever.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 08:00:55 AM »
FIVE CHIPS?   That's the first handful, and only to get the taste before I dig in for more.   If I'm "rich" I'm going to make sure whatever I buy there are more than FIVE.   FFS. 

For me?  TRAVEL.   I'm not big on luxury things - a pair Bruno Magli's are just lost on me, but I would GO places.   Oh, and I might have a boat to go those places.   And I'd have 7.1 instead of 5.1 surround sound.  And the 100 inch TV instead of the 60 inch.   And the nanny.  For me, not the kids.   For me.  And she'd look like Leah Gotti.   

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 09:06:42 AM »
I actually just moved to the Dayton/Cincinnati area, and I don't think there's all that much out here that people are interested in. I was between Pittsburgh and Cleveland before. Voodoo (barrel room stuff especially), Jackie O's (also known for barrel-aged excellence), and Fat Head's were usually the most sought after, though Fat Head's distribution has expanded quite a bit now. The Brew Gentlemen in Pittsburgh are also making insanely good northeast style IPAs, but they don't distribute.

Ah, yeah, don't know of any noteworthy breweries out that way. I have had some excellent BA beers from both Voodoo and Jackie O's in the past, and some tasty Brew Gentlemen growlers at a holiday bottle share last year.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 02:58:00 AM »
I wouldn't change much in my lifestyle more than a nice house in a good neighbourhood basically and a nice car however the one thing I would spend money on is travel. I would travel the world and visit places i've only seen in movies or read about. Go to antartica and see polarbears, visit remote tropical islands like pitcairn islands, roadtrip across the US, see the hobbit houses on New Zeeland, go to Australia and encounter a wild Blob and stuff like that.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 12:00:21 PM »
I recall one time, when watching the Travel Channel, that a restaurant had this pizza that cost like $2,000 and it had some fancy olive oil and caviar and stuff like that.  I'm sitting here thinking surely this sort of pizza cannot taste that good where it is worth spending $2,000 on one box?  Like what's the difference in taste between a $2,000 pizza compared to a $5 frozen pizza bought at a convenience store?  It can't be that big of a difference in taste to spend another $1,995 more?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 12:35:09 PM »
Up until now probably nobody had ever heard of St. Erik's. Now we're all talking about them. Might prompt somebody to try their beer if it's available. Moreover, if we're being honest, there isn't one of us that wouldn't want to try one of those chips, just so we can ridicule it. If those people were smart, and I suspect they are, they'd find away to mass produce those things at 95% or so of the quality and charge $3/bag instead of $1.29 for the Lay's equivalent. They'd sell a bundle from people who now know who and what they are and want to find out what the fuss is about.

edit: Oh, and small house in a large compound somewhere in the NW. And a vacation to Europe and Asia, with a few days in Munich to have my customized BMW manufactured.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2016, 12:37:14 PM »
Up until now probably nobody had ever heard of St. Erik's. Now we're all talking about them. Might prompt somebody to try their beer if it's available. Moreover, if we're being honest, there isn't one of us that wouldn't want to try one of those chips, just so we can ridicule it. If those people were smart, and I suspect they are, they'd find away to mass produce those things at 95% or so of the quality and charge $3/bag instead of $1.29 for the Lay's equivalent. They'd sell a bundle from people who now know who and what they are and want to find out what the fuss is about.

There are truffles on those chips!  That's an expensive ingredient.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2016, 12:40:08 PM »

There are truffles on those chips!  That's an expensive ingredient.
No, it's seaweed that tastes like truffles.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 12:42:40 PM »
I don't even want to think about the weird things I'll spend money on when I'm rich.