Author Topic: 2016-11-09 - Tobin Center, San Antonio TX  (Read 4106 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
2016-11-09 - Tobin Center, San Antonio TX
« on: October 14, 2016, 01:57:17 PM »
Didn't see a thread for this show. Anyone besides me going to this one?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2016-11-09 - Tobin Center, San Antonio TX
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 03:28:28 PM »
Seems like a reasonable bet you see our resident Egyptian music lover there.

(try not to disrespect Egypt!)
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 09:01:31 PM »
I'm gonna try, still no tickets though, I'll let you know for sure Debra.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 02:13:06 PM »
Seems like a reasonable bet you see our resident Egyptian music lover there.

(try not to disrespect Egypt!)

:lol :tup

I'm gonna try, still no tickets though, I'll let you know for sure Debra.

Excellent--hope you can swing it!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 07:11:56 PM »
I'll be there.

Offline TexasFury

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 07:33:39 PM »
I will be there, then seeing Black Sabbath in Houston the next day.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 09:18:15 AM by TexasFury »

Offline Vegvisir

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 11:37:44 AM »
Haven't posted here in probably a couple years- see you guys in a couple days!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 06:50:17 PM »
Couldn't afford the tickets, I'll see you all next around. Enjoy!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 10:06:33 PM »
Someone said over on MP's forum that they are skipping tracks of The Astonishing such as Road to Revolution?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gm5k

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 10:35:34 PM »
Someone said over on MP's forum that they are skipping tracks of The Astonishing such as Road to Revolution?

This is true.  I liked the somewhat condensed album performance tonight.  It was an incredible show  :metal

The Tobin Center is amazing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 06:59:12 AM »

This is true.  I liked the somewhat condensed album performance tonight.  It was an incredible show  :metal

So they didn't play TA in full? What was the set?

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 07:07:44 AM »

So they didn't play TA in full? What was the set?
Copy and pasting what was taken out :

In the first set, The X Aspect and The Road to Revolution; they went straight to intermission after A New Beginning. In the second set, Heaven's Cove and Begin Again.   

That's a little disappointing but it is what it is.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 07:19:55 AM »
Well that's weird...?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 08:40:24 AM »
Well that's weird...?

I was at the San Antonio show last night and I can confirm they did skip A Road To Revolution and Whispers. I think they also skipped The X Aspect. Act 2 (after the intermission) seemed to be a much shorter set than Act 1. The crowd got really pumped when they played the encore (As I Am, Spirit, and Pull Me Under). I actually loved this version of Pull Me Under with JP's current guitar sound. 

I also attended the Denver show earlier in the year and they did play all of The Astonishing. I don't recall them skipping Road to Revolution.

Overall, it was great. I still hope they release a live version of The Astonishing since it sounds way better in a live setting. The mix last night was close to perfect (got too loud at the end but that seems to be a standard in today's concerts). There was a moment where James sang Moment of Betrayal a bit faster than usual and you could hear the syncing issues between him (main vocal lead) and the background vocals. Other than that, no flubs.   

I'm very glad I attended two Astonishing shows. While the studio album kind of drags for me, the live version is definitely a lot better in my opinion. This is my first time that I do multiple DT shows from one album cycle. 

Crowd wise, the place was filled up to 80-90%. But the merch stand was just packed. Hopefully they are making up the lost money from ticket sales in merch sales. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 08:41:17 AM »
If I went to the show and they skipped The X Aspect of all things, I would've been greatly disappointed.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 10:06:18 AM »
TRtR is an tough one. I like the song and it's a great closer to the first set, but it's also insanely anti-climactic coming after ANB,
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 10:39:02 AM »
TRTR is way more climatic than A New Beginning. You've got the awesome recurring cast, and the choir and orchestra being bombastic.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 11:44:21 AM »
TRTR is way more climatic than A New Beginning. You've got the awesome recurring cast, and the choir and orchestra being bombastic.
Are you saying that after having seen it live? On the album you're absolutely right. Live in concert you are very wrong.
E.F. Benson

Offline gm5k

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 12:40:45 PM »
Are you saying that after having seen it live? On the album you're absolutely right. Live in concert you are very wrong.

True.  JP's solo live was one of my favorite and epic live DT moments ever, and it got an enormous applause from the audience.  The guys were all on in SA.  I loved how it ended the first set, even though I was slightly confused that the set had ended  :biggrin:

In hindsight, I'm a bit sad to have missed TXA and HC as they're two of my favorites from the album.  I'll take it for that encore though just for As I Am and TSCO.  Would probably prefer Metropolis over PMU to close out the show if it had to be a classic/fan favorite from I&W.  (I'd much prefer LTL than either of those but that's unrealistic for a closer compared to the others)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 12:49:29 PM by gm5k »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 12:53:21 PM »
 :facepalm:

Oh well. Can't please everybody. I for one would be extremely disappointed not to see the entire The Astonishing, but they did their calculations and folks like me are apparently in the minority.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 01:05:15 PM »

From the album. Live I guess it's more climatic in the aspect of it being a show and JPs solo is well received.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 01:48:13 PM »

From the album. Live I guess it's more climatic in the aspect of it being a show and JPs solo is well received.
Yeah, that's why I said it's kind of a tough call from an artistic standpoint. I agree that TRtR is a good way to end the set, but after ANW it just seems odd to go to that before hitting the climactic end again. Really not sure which would be the better way to do it.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 04:32:17 PM »

Oh man I bet it is, I was just outside talking to the box office people and I heard the music coming all the way out and it sounded superb, it was pretty sad when I walked out in the rain and left cause I couldn't get tickets :lol

Offline gm5k

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 06:23:15 PM »

Oh man I bet it is, I was just outside talking to the box office people and I heard the music coming all the way out and it sounded superb, it was pretty sad when I walked out in the rain and left cause I couldn't get tickets :lol

Best mix/sound I've heard at a DT show (especially the drums, my God they were so crystal clear) and it was my 6th I believe.  Wasn't ridiculously loud either.  I started out with some ear plugs but found I didn't need them after all.  Very pleasantly  surprised at the low volume for a DT show, even in such an intimate setting. 

Sorry you couldn't get tickets man!   Hopefully they'll be back soon!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 06:50:38 PM by gm5k »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 07:09:28 AM »

I had an extra ticket! I stood in front of the entrance but I didn't see anybody around the area asking for tickets.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 01:48:55 PM »
Egh. I was not at the show, as I'd planned. I was still recovering from being sick and didn't want to take a chance on being infectious since I think I picked it up Halloween weekend from my dad.

Also.. I'd seen the full Astonishing live in May but kind of bummed that I missed the abbreviated version. Oh well, next time.