Author Topic: Sports tickets  (Read 852 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Sports tickets
« on: October 13, 2016, 03:58:22 PM »
 I was selected  by NL CS tickets in a lottery. I managed to only be able to get one ticket, but it's a good ticket. The wife isn't particularly happy, although she's caught in an awkward situation not knowing if she's going to be here or not, because she's going to visit her dad who is recovering from a heart attack. She's not sure when she's going to go. Anyway, I had a friend suggest to me that I should sell the ticket because I could get  like twice as much back for it.

Has anyone ever sold tickets on stub hub or seek geek or something like that, sold the ticket for far more than you bought it for, and gotten that much back?  Or should I just go to the game. It's not that I don't want to go to the game, it's that I don't want my wife mad at me lol
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Sports tickets
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 04:29:49 PM »
Play around on Stubhub and see what similar seats are going for. Then subtract 10%. There's no doubt you'd make money on the deal, although it might not be as much as you think.

And would your old lady really be mad at you for going? Like, really?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 04:44:09 PM »
 I'm sure not after a while, but you know how it is initially they get mad

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 06:15:55 PM »
Just looked at the section my seat is in on Stubhub.

I paid $195 before taxes/fees for the ticket.

Cheapest ticket on there is $495, and more are over $600.

I have some thinking to do....

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 06:22:37 PM »
I don't know if you can do it before setting up an account, but you should poke around and see where the house money comes from. If I'm not mistaken, the service fees come out of the sale price. Not in addition to. So if you sell a seat for $600, you would get something closer to $475 or something after all is said and done.

edit: Oh dear. Seems that I was wrong. They hit the sale from both sides (I've never bought my own tickets so I never saw that side--only the seller's side."

“It is free to list tickets for sale, and to search for tickets to buy on StubHub. On each completed transaction, the buyer pays a 10% fee, and sellers are charged a 15% fee. For example, on the sale of a $100 ticket, the buyer would pay $110. The seller would net $85.”Aug 26, 2015

So in my example, you'd get $510 and the buy would pay $660. Kind of a racket, actually. Sounds like funny money at the titty bar.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 06:33:03 PM »
I don't know if you can do it before setting up an account, but you should poke around and see where the house money comes from. If I'm not mistaken, the service fees come out of the sale price. Not in addition to. So if you sell a seat for $600, you would get something closer to $475 or something after all is said and done.

edit: Oh dear. Seems that I was wrong. They hit the sale from both sides (I've never bought my own tickets so I never saw that side--only the seller's side."

“It is free to list tickets for sale, and to search for tickets to buy on StubHub. On each completed transaction, the buyer pays a 10% fee, and sellers are charged a 15% fee. For example, on the sale of a $100 ticket, the buyer would pay $110. The seller would net $85.”Aug 26, 2015

So in my example, you'd get $510 and the buy would pay $660. Kind of a racket, actually. Sounds like funny money at the titty bar.

Oh that's crap. I don't want to do that to people.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 06:49:26 PM »
Nah, people are willing to let you do it to them. Hell, it might as well be sales tax. You're actually the one getting screwed.
E.F. Benson