Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Final results are in....  (Read 77530 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Another One is by Project RnL.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Tomislav95

Stadler: UFO - The Writer?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
celestial harmonic - the dying of the light

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Send in Round 7, Splent!!
« Reply #844 on: January 03, 2017, 02:10:00 PM »
Guessed:

GOD EATERS

Parama: Julia Holter - Everytime Boots
Home: Slowdive - Golden Hair
Train of Naught: Panic! At The Disco - Crazy = Genius
 :huh: Fever Ray - If I Had A Heart
Scorpion: Pain Of Salvation - People Passing By
Stadler: UFO - The Writer
Tomislav95: Woods Of Ypres - I Was Buried In Mount Pleasant Cemetery
 :huh: Dekadent - Dead Mountain
 :huh: Celestial Harmonic - The Dying Of The Light
 :huh: Talking Heads - the Great Curve
Sacul: Ludovico Einaudi - Divenire
 :huh: Project RnL - Another One

That's everything.

I'll try and pull my finger out and get all the results up in the next few days  :corn

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
How're those results coming along?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Parama- Julie holdit- boot

wow dank

3/26 memes

Offline twosuitsluke

Hey guys, I've had some bad news about my Dad's health so this round might take a little longer to finish than anticipated. I'll get to it when I can.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Take your time, and here's to hoping your Dad is ok.   Thoughts are with you.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Yeah, definitely take the time you need. No pressure. :)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Just take it easy until you feel like continuing, no rush. Best wishes to you and your family. :angel:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

Cheers guys.

One thing I feel grateful for, music is such solace and comfort at times like these.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I hope my cowboy ballad makes you feel a bit better

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Panama- Julie holdit- doot

wow dank

5/7 memes
Fixed :neverusethis:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
:jamaritard: out of :vomitard:

Offline twosuitsluke

I started write ups earlier, I should hopefully post results tomorrow, as I have a free day.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
:soon: it shall be written

Offline twosuitsluke

Hopefully within the next couple of hours guys.

This is one of the weaker rounds so far I think. I'm not sure if that is because I'm getting burnt out with the roulette, if you guys are or if you are running out of stuff to send.

there are still a couple of gems in here though  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i stopped trying to figure out your tastes tbh, i have no clue what you like

Offline twosuitsluke

i stopped trying to figure out your tastes tbh, i have no clue what you like

Yea, well it's difficult when I can't even always articulate what it is that I like about a certain song/band  :lol

Nearly there, just revising scores  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
heck yeah making my 6.5 into a 6.0

Offline twosuitsluke

Round 7 results

Here we go guys, sorry this took a little longer than I'd hoped. My tastes are weird so suck it....

Shadow Ninja: Fever Ray - If I Had A Heart

Another band that I hadn't ever heard of and I'm not even 100% sure what  genre I would call this. It has this repetitive synth beat that is there from start to finish, throughout the whole song. It gives it a bit of a dark vibe and it's slightly unnerving which is kinda cool. The vocals at the beginning are sung in quite a deep tone and it's hard to make out what is being said. This is definitely not the sort of music I would ever seek out and it kind of leaves me cold, I just don't really find anything of interest to redeem this for me, sorry. As always, I appreciate a risk taker but it's just not my thing.

5/10

Parama: Julia Holter - Everytime Boots

I've not heard of Julia Holter before and had no idea what to expect. I know you'd said that you weren't going to send me any metal but judging by the EP you sent home, you still have plenty of metal to send me that I'd like, you've just been a bit unlucky. Anyway, this song is ok and has a bit of a modern country feel to it. It is really short and I feel like it's over before I've really gotten into it. I don't actively dislike it but it doesn't really have any replay value for me. I don't know what it is but I don't listen to a lot of music with female vocals, on a whole they don't do a lot for me. This falls into that category and the music doesn't really have enough to save it either. I know you can do better but as you said, you've given up trying to work out my tastes.

5.5/10

Sacul: Ludovico Einaudi - Divenire

Classical music in this style is difficult for me. I know that I have given examples of the sort of thing that I like (mainly big orchestral movie scores or similar but with video game music), I'm not sure if the reason I love that sort of thing is because of the nostalgic connection I have to it. Then again, there is orchestral video game music I love where I haven't even played the game the piece is from so who knows. This is certainly a beautiful piece but it's possibly the fact it's a bit on the sombre side that loses me a bit. I like music in this style that is triumphant and powerful, whereas this is beautiful and calming. I could easily listen to this when I'm in a certain mood but I just don't think I am in that mood very often. It's on the right tracks but not quite there for me. I think the main issue might be that I'm not too big on pieces where the piano is the main focus. I like the sound but I don't crave it as much as other instruments, I think I prefer it when it is an accompaniment.

6.5/10

Elite: Talking Heads - The Great Curve

I definitely wasn't expecting something like this from you Elite, but it's nice to get some curve balls :biggrin: one word I can use to describe this is funky, I always thought the Talking Heads were one of those 60's rock bands like The Beatles, The Kinks etc, but I may be confusing them with another band. This has more of a 70's disco feel or something, it could be on the Shaft soundtrack. I like the funkiness of it but it's not really the sort of music I would seek out. I can appreciate it for what it is though and I could see why people would like this. This one was probably the most difficult to score as I'm still not even sure now how I feel about it. The vocals are ok but the best part is that funky beat.

6.5/10

Splent: Project RnL - Another One

This probably reminds me of Haken more than anything else (which isn't a bad thing), the vocalist certainly lends to that. In the video it shows that this piece has mainly been put together using music apps for your tablet, that's fine but it kind of takes away some of the magic for me. It's great as a showcase of what you can do, but then they just play the second half of the song with real instrumentation anyway so it makes me just want to hear the full version with real instruments. The first half is all electronic but it still sounds good. The singer has a great voice but it is too similar to Ross from Haken, as is some of the overall sound, so it leaves me wanting to listen to Haken. It was kind of a safe bet as it also features Jordan Rudess, it's solid enough.

7/10

Scar: Celestial Harmonic - The Dying of the Light

I'm guessing from having a little look on Youtube that Celestial Harmonic is not a band, as such, and just one guy who produces this stuff at home. I'm perfectly happy with that and it's good that in this day and age people can just get their music out there. This song is an instrumental with a kind of epic feel to it. This is a good example of how I generally like my instrumentals, it's main feature is the lead guitar, which is what my ear is always drawn to. Towards the end there are some strings in the mix which add to the epicness and also the drums become a bit more prominent (are the drums programmed? They they sound it to me) The accompanying image on the Youtube video is just a space scene, this works as it conjures up the bleakness of space to me. Most of the lead guitar parts have an echoey, distant feel to them and the tone is just how I like it. There's nothing particularly mind blowing about this but it is very solid in it's delivery.

7/10

Stadler: UFO - The Writer

Stadler, you have easily been the most consistent with the style of songs you have been sending me, which is fine. This is a bit better than some of your previous offerings I think. It has a dated hard rock sound but I kinda like it more than some of the others. I do find myself air guitaring to this a fair bit, I like the riffs quite a lot. As I've said in some of my previous write ups, if I'd heard this at a young age, played by my older brother, I'm sure I'd have loved it. It just falls into the 'solid' category I guess. It's a pretty nice song that ticks all the right boxes ut nothing more. I guess nowadays, if I listen to older music I want something that's really out there and unlike anything I currently listen to. Like, at this point I'm probably likely to dig something like Frank Zapppa over UFO because it might be out of my comfort zone. This is a good rocker though.

7/10

WebRaider: Dekadent - Dead Mountain

I've not heard of this band before so had zero preconceptions of them. They are firing on all cylinders right from the off and this is easily the heaviest song of the round. I like the synths(?) in the background as it gives it a bit of depth. The vocals are fine but not my preferred style of vocal on this sort of thing. The guitar solo is a great one which brings it up a notch. This isn't one of the best that you have sent me but it's pretty good. It has some reallly cool bits but it isn't consistent enough for me to love it. I kind of like the end and the outro bit the best.

7/10

Train of Naught: Panic! At the Disco

I was never really a fan of Panic! at the Disco, I must admit. But I still tried to go into this open minded and not judge it on some of their awful past efforts. This has a bit of a fast paced swing edge to it. I think the issue that I used to have with older PatD songs were the vocals, I actually like them a bit more here. I find that I can't help clicking my fingers along to this, it's got that feel. It's reminds me of that scene in The Mask (with Jim Carey) where he is dancing in some club and the band playing are the sort with a double bass and trumpets or trombones. I really quite dig it and it was very unexpected. The chorus is one of the catchier ones in this round and quite infectious (with all the hey-ay-ay's). Yea, this is pretty infectious, it reminds me of that Moron Police song you sent me, it's that punchy kind of song. Still not sure that I'll actually listen to the album but this is quite nice. This song would've worked well in the sing along round actually, this is a great example of the sort of thing that I would sing my heart out to.

7.5/10

Scorpion: Pain of Salvation - People Passing By

Who is this? The Red Hot Chilli Peppers? Seriously though, I love the bass in this song. There are funky bass lines all over the place and it's so nice to hear that really audible kind of bass. This is one of the biggest holes in my banned list. I've tried possibly one of their album before and nothing blew me away. This song is a bit all over the place but it's really funky. I'm not sure how I feel about the vocals, maybe that's what put me off originally. They are ok but probably the weakest part (mainly because all the instruments sound great in this). I love how huge the drums sound in this, although the kick drum is a bit too much here but I'm not sure if that is just on the Youtube link you sent?. As I mentioned, I think the structuring of this song is a bit all over the place but there are so many cool bits that I can't help loving it. It doesn't feel too overlong which is nice. I'm not sure how representative this is of their sound? Is this also something from very early on in their career? I love the guitar solo at the end,  that sort of extended, jam session style solo works fo me. I will be checking out this album and then I'll see how I get on from there.

8/10

home: Slowdive - Golden Hair

I like that you sent me a live version in this round, I know that you said the live version is so much better (did you say you actually saw them play this live?). Now, I don't know the original song and I don't know the band, so I didn't have any expectations going in. This isn't the sort of live experience I am used to having, this is the sort of thing that would totally mesmerise and capture me, were I in the audience. This would be a great festival experience, after a few drinks. I love to close my eyes when I'm at live shows because I feel it helps my to connect with the music even more. This is a perfect example of a song that I would close my eyes to for the entire performance and just sway to the music. None of this describes the song at all but it's just my stream of consciousness as I'm writing. It's just pure atmosphere, there's very little in the way of vocals, there's no flashy guitar work, it's kind of repetitive but it creates a blissful atmosphere. It builds in a way, with more intense drumming an loads of reverb on the guitars. It's just quite magical and a prime example of why people should go to see live music, it gives you that experience that you will never get on the studio version. Really good stuff dude.

8/10

Tomislav95: Woods of Ypres - I Was Buried In Mount Pleasant Cemetery

This style of song is always a bit hit and miss for me, songs that lean towards the 'depressing' end of the spectrum can have a tendency to lose me. This, however, isn't one of them. After a few listens I found myself anticipating (and singing loudly) the "I was buried, in mount pleasant cemetery, alone and unceremoniously". I like the piano intro and as I said , I like it when the heavy guitars and vocals kick in. I really like the vocals on this song, they can be very make or break. They remind me bit of Type O Negative (although it's been a long time since I listened to them). I think you picked well for me as there are also some nice mellow bits with strings (and something like an oboe or a clarinet?? That was awesome!), which you know I'm a sucker for. That might be my favourite bit of the song. I've seen some of you guys mention this band a fair bit and they have certainly been on my radar. There is a great flow and it doesn't feel like an 8 minute song, it doesn't get repetitive at  all. I like the heavy section towards the end and the guitar solo. The black metal vocals at the end work fine for me and I like that they are layered over the clean vocals, it's a fitting end to the song. If the whole song was sang black metal vocal style I think this would've scored much lower from me. Definitely gonna give this album a spin soon, nice one dude.

9/10

Scores

12. Shadow Ninja - 39.25 + 5 = 44.25
10. Splent - 38.5 + 7 = 45.5
10. Stadler - 38.5 + 7 = 45.5
9. Scar - 39 + 7 = 46
8. Elite - 40 + 6.5 = 46.5
6. Sacul - 44.25 + 6.5 = 50.75
6. Tomislav95 - 41.75 + 9 = 50.75
5. Parama - 45.5 + 5.5 = 51
4. WebRaider - 44.25 + 7 = 51.25
3. Scorpion - 45.75 + 8 = 53.75
2. Home - 46.25 + 8 = 54.25
1. Train of Naught - 48.25 + 7.5 = 55.75

So the next round is the last themed round before the eliminations, make it count guys. I will write a little about what I'm looking for in this next round tomorrow or something.

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Round 7 Results
« Reply #862 on: January 08, 2017, 12:21:29 PM »
I'm so glad you liked the song :woot: I'm trying to get everyone into them :P BTW I'd recommend you their last album Woods V, it's more consistent than the one from which I Was Buries is. Good thing I didn't save them for orchestral round but on the other hand, I don't know what to send now :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #863 on: January 08, 2017, 12:22:55 PM »
Yea, this is pretty infectious, it reminds me of that Moron Police song you sent me, it's that punchy kind of song. This song would've worked well in the sing along round actually, this is a great example of the sort of thing that I would sing my heart out to.
Yes and yes. If I had known this one by the time the sing-along round came I would definitely have gone with it, it's so damn infectuous. I'm not a fan of this band to be honest, album has some cool moments but is probably not worth checking.

Not sure about the orchestral round but I would have to screw up reaaally bad to not make it through to the final rounds :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #864 on: January 08, 2017, 12:48:21 PM »
repeat of home's roulette go

i kinda want to make it to the next round just to send luke a specific song but i prob won't

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #865 on: January 08, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »
Glad you liked People Passing By (yes, it's from PoS' debut, which is fantastic, but a lot funkier and less focused at times than their other efforts, especially The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane), but I'm completely baffled by you thinking that Daniel is the weak link there - he's one of my favourite vocalists of all time.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #866 on: January 08, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »
Glad you liked People Passing By (yes, it's from PoS' debut, which is fantastic, but a lot funkier and less focused at times than their other efforts, especially The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane), but I'm completely baffled by you thinking that Daniel is the weak link there - he's one of my favourite vocalists of all time.

It's more least strong link as opposed to weakest link, to me at least.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #867 on: January 09, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »
did you say you actually saw them play this live?
Nope, must be amazing though, such as surreal atmosphere....

I will try to find a song with orchestral elements this evening!
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline twosuitsluke

Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Round 6 RESULTS!!
« Reply #868 on: January 10, 2017, 09:08:42 AM »
Right, I know I said I'd write a bit about what I am looking for in this 'orchestral' themed round but I'll quote what I said earlier in the thread as it's pretty spot on:

Ok, so first up is Mob Mentality by Earthside:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mob+mentality+earthside

This is a perfect example of modern progressive metal featuring orchestration.

Next are a couple of links to Nobuo Uematsu's Distant Worlds performances:

Liberi Fatali:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj-UY8nIMZk&index=2&list=PLA8BAB9259BB4E2AA

Terra's Theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj-UY8nIMZk&index=2&list=PLA8BAB9259BB4E2AA

And finally the intro to Metallica's S&M album. I've posted a link to the whole album but what I mainly want you to listen to is the intro and first song which is The Ecstasy of Gold/Call of Ktulu. This takes up the first 12 minutes but if you have the time please listen to this epic piece of music. This shit was born to be accompanied by an orchestra!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Hgy_L3eXc

These are perfect examples of what I'm looking for. I'll totally accept live versions with an orchestra. I know on the bonus disc of Opeth's new album they have some live tracks with an orchestra so there are bound to be plenty of bands that have done it that you could send. Any of the rest of you guys love what an orchestra can add to music like this?

I can add a few more links if needed?

I'll also add, I will except use of traditional instruments from other cultures if they are close to instruments that may be used in an orchestra. For instance, Chthonic (a Taiwanese kinda symphonic black metal band) use a traditional instrument, called an Erhu, in a lot of their music. It's like a Taiwanese violin. Use of string, woodwind and brass instruments will generally be accepted in this round but the more they are played in a classical style, the better.

If anyone has any questions or needs more links then just say the word.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #869 on: January 11, 2017, 01:49:59 AM »
like, how much orchestration are you looking for here
"a few instruments" or "an entire orchestra" or somewhere in between?

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #870 on: January 11, 2017, 03:55:23 AM »
It definitely doesn't need to be a full orchestra, that would be too restricting. Like a few string instruments would be fine but it needs to be quite integral to the song.

For instance, 'I Was Buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery' by Woods of Ypres, that Tomislav sent in the last round, has a small section with a few string instruments and an oboe or clarinet. The section probably lasts about 1 and a half minutes, in an 8 minute song. I would allow that, as I don't want to be too restrictive, but that part is very short and not present for most of the song. I'd like something where the orchestral sound is a main part of the song structure.

I'm tempted to give bonus points of 0.25, 0.5, 0.75 & 1, depending on how well I feel it fits the theme as I don't want people to just send a song that has a small string section, that lasts 30 seconds, that would get you a 0.25.

I think I might do the bonus point actually, so for those of you who have already sent, if you'd like to resend because you don't think your song fits the theme enough to get a full bonus point, that is fine.

So just to be clear, the more present and integral the orchestral sound is to the song, the more likely you are to get the full bonus point. As I said before, it's also worth checking to see if any of your favourite bands have played live with an orchestra as I'd be more than happy with some live performances. I know, Metallica and Opeth have done it, Devin Townsend is planning to do it with Ocean Machine this year. There will likely be more.

EDIT: One more example, a symphonic metal band like Dimmu Borgir works well for me. They have quite a lot of songs with a full orchestra accompanying them. I can post links if needed?

Offline home

« Reply #871 on: January 11, 2017, 07:33:10 AM »
Sent some train-core your way (trough Spotify), since all the songs with orchestral elemts in my library seem to be either classical or dreamy pop which I doubt you'll like.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #872 on: January 11, 2017, 09:34:31 AM »
It better not be the band I sent you in my EP, because I'm considering sending them too :corn

But yeah I will think of a song to send now

Offline home

« Reply #873 on: January 11, 2017, 10:03:53 AM »
It better not be the band I sent you in my EP, because I'm considering sending them too :corn

But yeah I will think of a song to send now
Nope but it has quite a similar feel as one of the tracks on your EP  :P

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Send Orchestral Beauty For Round 8
« Reply #874 on: January 11, 2017, 12:43:03 PM »
Sent.