Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Final results are in....  (Read 77572 times)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Voice of an angel 😇
« Reply #525 on: November 13, 2016, 05:41:10 PM »
Come om Sacul is the Anathema fanboi here
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #526 on: November 13, 2016, 05:42:10 PM »
Come om Sacul is the Anathema fanboi here

Yea, surprised nobody got that!!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #527 on: November 13, 2016, 05:43:11 PM »

#1:  Shadow Ninja: CHVRCHES - Leave A Trace
#2:  Tomislav95: Ensiferum - Into Battle
#3:  :huh: KISS - Shout it Out Loud
#4:  Home: Nothing More - Mr. MTV
#5:  :huh: Elton John - Writing
#6:  Train: _____ ______ - __ ____ _____
#7:  Scorpion: Nevermore - Born
#8:  :huh: Triumph - Magic Power
#9:  Parama: Brand New - Not The Sun
#10:  Elite: ______ _________ - Mr. Funker
#11:  :huh: _______ - _____ _____
#12:  Sacul: Anathema - Universal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #528 on: November 13, 2016, 06:54:32 PM »
i guess splent sent elton john then? *shrugs*

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #529 on: November 13, 2016, 08:03:24 PM »
Is Triumph a splent band? I have a feeling he might have sent them before.

Kiss seems like a Stadler submission to me.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #530 on: November 14, 2016, 12:29:01 AM »
Tiumph = splent, Kiss = Stadler, yep.

So then there's only WebRaider and Scar left for the remaining 2.. gonna guess Elton John is WebRaider then, basing that off nothing at all
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #531 on: November 14, 2016, 12:39:45 AM »

#3:  Stadler: KISS - Shout it Out Loud
#6:  Train: _____ ______ - __ ____ _____
#8:  Splent: Triumph - Magic Power

Someone guess a letter to round this thing off  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #532 on: November 14, 2016, 01:06:56 AM »
Q

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #533 on: November 14, 2016, 02:06:58 AM »

#6:  Train: QQQQQ QQQQQQ - QQ QQQQ QQQQQ
#10:  Elite: QQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQ - Mr. Funker
#11:  :huh: QQQQQQQ - QQQQQ QQQQQ

Parama wins life  :biggrin:

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #534 on: November 14, 2016, 03:07:44 AM »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #535 on: November 14, 2016, 05:35:07 AM »
Qqqqq Qqqqqq is my favourite band, I should have sent them!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #536 on: November 14, 2016, 05:47:36 AM »
Qqqqq Qqqqqq is my favourite band, I should have sent them!

Yea, I stupidly forgot to add them to my banned list  :facepalm:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #537 on: November 14, 2016, 02:00:40 PM »
I think Train sent 'Go Home, Bitch!'
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #538 on: November 15, 2016, 01:32:22 AM »
Yep, Train let it slip  :lol

#6:  Train: _____ ______ - Go Home, Bitch!

I'm going to try and complete write ups today. I spent so much time on the 'vocal clip' game that I'm lagging in this round. I don't think I even have a clear winner in my head for this round, it's all pretty close.

I don't know whether to score just on song alone or score higher for songs that fit the theme best. Possibly the latter  :justjen

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #539 on: November 15, 2016, 01:33:53 AM »
i kinda hate when theme intrudes on score because score is just supposed to be a measure of song quality and nothing else but also apparently some people didn't send something to fit the theme anyways so it's a bit unfair to give them a free pass so i really dunno

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #540 on: November 15, 2016, 01:35:28 AM »
I don't really care how you score things, since it's your roulette, as long as you are clear and fair about it.
Squ

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #541 on: November 15, 2016, 02:10:06 AM »
Yea I know what you mean Parama. It should be based on the song alone but as it's a themed round that should have some influence on the score in my book. I mean, someone could send an epic song with barely any vocals which could be a 9/10 but not fit the round at all. That wouldn't seem right.

At the same time I maybe wasn't clear about how the scoring of this round would work, plus Elite didn't even know it was a themed round  :lol

I think this is an instance where I will learn from this for my next roulette. Maybe do a bonus point system for sending themed songs, like some of you guys have done before?

Buuuuuuut, if I'd done that I wouldn't have been able to force my terrible singing on you in my mid round game. I needed all the songs on this round to be sing along.

I dunno, it's a minefield  :facepalm:

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #542 on: November 15, 2016, 02:12:04 AM »
I don't really care how you score things, since it's your roulette, as long as you are clear and fair about it.

Cheers dude, yea maybe I wasn't clear before hand so it would seem unfair to score according to how well it fits the theme.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #543 on: November 15, 2016, 02:24:15 AM »
Me not knowing it was a themed round really was my own fault though. I'm quite lucky in the sense that the song I finally sent is pretty singable :lol
Squ

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #544 on: November 15, 2016, 07:50:14 AM »
Grade on the theme!  Not because I think I have a better shot, but what's the point of having a theme - playing the game - if you're not going to have it factor in?   Otherwise, every roulette is just me sending Kiss songs, and so-and-so sending Anathema songs, and so-and-so sending Devin Townsend songs...

Let's get creative!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #545 on: November 16, 2016, 02:40:16 AM »
I've completed over half the write ups and they're not too half assed.

I've been so busy with work (and getting distracted with Plug.DJ sessions) that this round has taken longer than I anticipated.

I'll try to get the results up by this evening  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #546 on: November 18, 2016, 09:45:19 AM »
:soon:  :corn

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #547 on: November 18, 2016, 10:25:45 AM »
Yea, work is kicking my ass at the moment. I've only got like 5 days off this month or something!!

That being said I might be able to finish write ups tonight (although I'm at work)

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #548 on: November 18, 2016, 02:21:38 PM »
Soon....................................

Offline home

« Reply #549 on: November 18, 2016, 02:22:42 PM »
: popcorn:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #550 on: November 18, 2016, 02:37:34 PM »
 :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #551 on: November 18, 2016, 04:10:38 PM »
Apologies in advance for how long this took to get these results in. Work has been crazy the last few weeks but it should be calming down now.
I think some of you were a bit unsure of what to send in this round. Some songs fit my idea of the round, some not so much. I admit I wasn’t that clear about what I was looking for and I now know that what ‘sing-along’ means to one is completely different from another. This was a fairly solid round but without the highs of previous rounds.

Splent: Triumph – Magic Power
Here we have a total classic rock song. It’s pretty cheesy and not particularly credible. This is another example of a song I would probably love if I’d grown up with it. It does fit the theme and I can imagine people really enjoying belting this out. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work so well for me. I like the sentiment of the song but I’ve heard this point put across, lyrically, a lot better so many more times. It’s not bad at all but it’s not the sort of thing I am looking for and I can’t see myself wanting to listen to it in the future.

5 (+0.5 for theme)

5.5/10

Scar: Elton John - Writing

I've never been a fan of Elton John but this is ok, it's got guitars that remind me of the Allman Brothers Band, which is nice. It fits the theme and has some nice bits to sing to. I don't think I'll listen to it in the future but it's nice enough. It was a bit of a risky choice, at least to me it was. I’m already completely aware of EJ so I think if I was destined to become a fan I would’ve by now.

5 (+0.5 for theme)

5.5/10

Stadler: KISS – Shout it Out Loud
I’ve never been a fan of KISS, their sort of music has never appealed to me and I think Gene Simmons is a knob. This pretty much sounded as I expected it to. I’m sure if I’d grown up with this or if they had been my first exposure to ‘rock’ music I would feel differently. It’s ok and I can sing along to it I suppose. It’s just very ‘of its time’ and that era doesn’t do a great deal for me. The chorus is the focus and I’m sure it went down great in a big crowd.

5 (+0.5 for theme)

5.5/10

Elite: Groove Therapist – Mr. Funker
Elite, you didn’t actually realise this was a themed round when you sent this, but it kinda works. This song is quite strange. It’s from a concept album about a weird Jack the Ripper type right? (that is based completely on the album cover, some lyrical content and nothing else). It feels like it would fit in some broadway theatre performance where the character of Mr. Funker is introduced. But it has some groovy bass and virtuoso guitar in places. The chorus is ok and you can sing along to it. It has this off putting bit before it where the character is laughing and the guitar is echoing it. It’s a bit of a turn off for me and spoils the song a bit. I’m intrigued to hear the album and although I like some parts of it I don’t like it much on the whole.

6.5 (+0.5 for theme)

7/10

Tomislav95: Ensiferum - Into Battle

I've been into a few bands like this over the years (Turisas, Korpiklaani etc) but never listened to Ensiferum. This has that cool battle metal feel. The sing along element is the chorus here and it works. There isn't much to sing to for the rest of the song, which is true of other songs in this round to be fair. I certainly dig the song and it will fit a certain mood for me. The guitar solo is pretty sweet. They remind me of early Children of Bodom with the vocals at times. I had a lot of fun doing the 'vocal clip' for this song. I haven’t listened to much music in this style for quite a few years so it’s good to rock some out. It’s pretty standard for this genre so it’s solid. The chorus feels like a battle chant (as it should) so I know it would be fun to see live.

7 (+0.25 for theme)

7.25/10

WebRaider: Corelia - Glass Faces

So no one guessed this song from my performance . Don't know if anyone else actually knows the band? The name looked kind of familiar. I like this and found myself singing the chorus quite a bit actually, which is obviously a good sign. It's the highlight if the song for me and really saves the song and lifts it above mediocrity. The rest of the song is ok and has a djenty feel to it. It's very enjoyable and on the upper tier of solid. I might have a further listen to something else by this band, time will tell.

7 (+0.75 for theme)

7.75/10

Sacul: Anathema – Universal
Not the sort of song that I was expecting from this round (although I know I didn’t really make clear what I wanted). This is very soothing and relaxing. I’ve checked out some Anathema before and, although I liked what I heard, it didn’t really hit my sweet spot. This is the sort of music that I definitely have to be in the mood for. It’s got a nice atmosphere to it and I of course like the use of the strings. I do like the guys voice, it washes over you in a really nice way. There is a nice guitar solo half way through followed by some piano which changes the pace of the song a bit. It has a nice build herewith the inclusion of a heavier drum sound and more strings. This is my favourite part of the song (and it doesn’t feature any vocals). This is a really nice song and although it does have some nice lyrical passages it doesn’t really make me want to sing along to it all that much.

7.5 (+0.25 for theme)

7.75/10

Home: Nothing More – Mr. MTV

I love the intro of this song. This song has a kind of pop metal kind of vibe to me but the chorus nails the theme. I'm sure I read about this band in a magazine last year and thought they would sound like Linkin Park or something. It does kinda sound like that as this would be a great anthem to play at a festival. It's entertaining and would be the sort of thing I'd stick on at a party as casual metal fans would like it. I'll check out the album at some point but I assume this is pretty much their sound, I could be wrong though. This is in the right direction of what I was looking for as the chorus is great fun to sing.

7 (+0.75 for theme)

7.75/10

Shadow Ninja: CHVRCHES - Leave A Trace

I wasn't expecting to love this as much as I do. Pop is weird for me, I can enjoy listening to it but because it's everywhere I never choose to listen to it. I also don't listen to a great amount of music with female vocals. That's not out of a conscious decision, my ears just like what they like. But this is great and it has a great, catchy chorus (perfect for the round). I can’t see myself listening to the album anytime soon but I could see myself getting my diva on and belting this out every now and again. The lyrical content of the song is close to me as well and it’s quite an empowering song. I can see why this would be popular. It’s pop music with some credibility and I like that.

7 (+0.75 for theme)

7.75/10

Train of Naught: Moron Police - Go Home, Bitch!

This song is a lot of fun and I'd definitely stick this on at a party. It falls down a little bit in the sing along department. Love the shredding guitars a lot though. The vocals are sometimes hard to concentrate on, except for the chorus of course. This is short but sweet and certainly makes me want to listen to the album. It blends a few styles in its short run time but works so well. Actually, listening to it now I'd find it hard to score it anything but highly. It is fun to sing to so it works theme wise. It’s kind of a hard one to score as it has lots that I like but it is over too quickly. Guess I just need to listen to the album.

7.5 (+0.75 for theme)

8.25/10

Scorpion: Nevermore – Born
Theme aside, this was maybe my favourite song of the round. It’s got some great riffs and I love both of the vocal styles in this song. It’s got those operatic style highs and also the more gritty vocals. I really love the chorus and couldn’t help but do fist grabs whilst singing along. This really reminds me of something and I’ll be damned if I can put my finger on it (some melo-death band probably). Musically it has a great mix of heavier style death metal and classic metal. This is definitely right up my alley. I know I checked out this band before (possibly Dead Heart in a Dead World), about 6-7 years ago, but this left more of an impression than anything else I’d heard previously. This wasn’t the sort of song I had in mind for this round but it actually fits better than some other songs.  Yea, the chorus is great to sing in an over the top manner.

8 (+0.75 for theme)

8.75/10

Parama: Brand New - Not The Sun

I like this a lot. This left the best first impression and I really felt it nailed the theme for me better than any other song in the round. I find it hard to put in to words what I look for when singing along to music. The bridge in this song is probably the best example in the round to be honest. It's fun to sing and it's emotional. I also like something that I can sing all the way through without it becoming boring. I've been aware of these guys for years but never listened to them, why I don’t know. I'll probably pick this album up soon. It's got a great feel to it and I like the singer’s voice a lot. It’s fairly short but it does everything I need it to in the song. Really good stuff dude, cheers.

8 (+1 for theme)

9/10

Scores

12. Scar - 9+4+6+5.5=                            24.5
11.  Stadler - 7.5+7.5+5.5+5.5=               26
10. Shadow Ninja - 5.5+5.5+7.5+7.75=    26.25
8. Elite - 6.5+7.5+5.5+7=                         26.5
8.  Splent - 5.5+6+9.5+5.5=                     26.5
7.  WebRaider - 6.5+6.5+8.5+7.75=          29.25
5.  Train of Naught - 7.5+6.5+8+8.25=      30.25
5.  Tomislav95 - 7+7+9+7.25=                  30.25
4.  Sacul - 7+9+7.5+7.75=                        31.25
3.  Parama - 6.5+9+7.5+9=                       32
2.  Home - 8.5+8+8+7.75=                       32.25
1.  Scorpion - 9+8+7+8.75=                      32.75

So the next round is a straight up open round. I should hopefully be able to pick up the pace with this one. I’ll probably just do a straight up hangman/results kinda thing.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 03:15:53 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. R4 Results/Send for R5
« Reply #552 on: November 18, 2016, 04:39:37 PM »
I won't be the joke that you told and told til it got old  :hat
Also yeah the whole album is pretty great. Jesus and Limousine are my favorites but they're not as singable and also a lot more depressing :P

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #553 on: November 18, 2016, 06:43:51 PM »
Limousine is the only one in which I find myself singing along with every single line tbh

Slowly moving up the rankings :D will send today, or tomorrow in Train world.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #554 on: November 18, 2016, 09:38:12 PM »
Bah.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline home

« Reply #555 on: November 19, 2016, 03:10:56 AM »
Nice, about the score I was expecting, and yeah this is basically their Sound, they have got only a few very different songs.

Can I send two songs which are basically one six minute song?

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #556 on: November 19, 2016, 03:17:26 AM »
Nice, about the score I was expecting, and yeah this is basically their Sound, they have got only a few very different songs.

Can I send two songs which are basically one six minute song?

Yea, I've got no problem with that  :biggrin:

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #557 on: November 19, 2016, 07:30:54 AM »
I have to admit I expected higher score. 7 is not bad by any means but I like it more than that :lol
Also, sent something riffy for the next round.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #558 on: November 19, 2016, 01:40:58 PM »
I have to admit I expected higher score. 7 is not bad by any means but I like it more than that :lol

YOU expected a better score?   Hmm.  I should have known better than to send Kiss.  Ah well. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #559 on: November 20, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »

YOU expected a better score?   Hmm.  I should have known better than to send Kiss.  Ah well.

Yea, KISS really aren't my sort of thing. Always appreciate a risk taker but that song just didn't do a lot for me. Onwards and upwards, I'm getting a good variety of music in this roulette so I'm pretty happy.