Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Final results are in....  (Read 77672 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
The Thrice song was the highlight and possibly the best song of the whole EP round.
7,5 paradise incoming?

Also yes I have at least 14/25 nice
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

The thing with the Wake is that it doesn't really work that good out of the context. Same goes for every song off Hospice (and I LOVE Hospice), that's why I always send Palace :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Interesting that the best song of the EP round is an 8.5.

While I'd probably give you more points on Wake and Bird of Sorrow, Paramang, I'd have to agree with Luke that the flow of your EP was where it was the weakest. I feel that Hating wasn't that good of an intro track and the EP suffered from it quite a bit. That said, I still dug your EP a lot, and it finally made me get around to checking out Solstafir. :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
yeah I've said like 5 times that hating was weaker than the rest lol

also yeah wake is a lot better in context but I still kinda love it anyways so
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 01:40:30 PM by Parama »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Interesting that the best song of the EP round is an 8.5.

Yea, there is another song that is close for 'best song of the round'. The Thrice song feels like it has more staying power though, I can see myself tiring of the other song sooner. There are no 9/10 (or higher) songs but that's fine as there are some fine flowing EPs. That means the highest scoring song of the roulette was Dear Dead Days by Frost*, with 9.5. I didn't get a 10/10 song, I'll have to run another roulette  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

I might try and post the 3rd place results tonight if ya'll can take it?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I don't think my body is ready for it tonight, but I'm going to sleep in a couple of minutes anyway so you can go ahead and I will cry over my EP score tomorrow morning along with a nice cuppa :tup

short answer: ya
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I wanna laugh at home for scoring better than me

Online twosuitsluke

I don't think my body is ready for it tonight, but I'm going to sleep in a couple of minutes anyway so you can go ahead and I will cry over my EP score tomorrow morning along with a nice cuppa :tup

short answer: ya

"CRY FOR ME TRAIN, YOUR TEARS GIVE ME POWEERRRR!!"

After this is all over I am going to try and find time to start my 'top 2016 albums' thread and get more active in the plug.dj room again  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
train of "what has luke wrought"

Online twosuitsluke

In third place the participant who was probably the most consistent throughout this thing:

The homeboy

home: EP Title: Stick Your Head Out and Slowly Drift Away

We Made God - II

This is pretty cool as an opener. I like stuff like this, with the spoken word sample over the top. What this guy is spouting (who is he by the way?) is really appealing to me and lines up with my view on life and the modern age we live in as well, so that's cool. There are some vocals at the beginning but I don't really pay much attention to this part. My ear is concentrating on what is being said throughout most of this but the music accompanies it really well. It is just a great way to kick this off, good choice.

Score: 7.5/10

Solstafir - Midaftann

The transition into this song works pretty well. This song isn't as strong as the other Solstafir song in this round, for me. There is a nice atmosphere that runs through this and it is more piano heavy than I had thought it would be. It fits in well with the feel of the EP but isn't too great as a stand alone song for me. I expect that it fits the same purpose on the album it's from though to be fair.

Score: 7/10

Sleep Party People - Changing in Time

I've never heard of these guys but this is pretty cool. Most of this song floats along nicely, the music all fits the vocals well but the best part of the song is the synth (I think) bit which hits a chord for me and just sounds really nice. The song ends just after this though so it may be a little short lived. It's nice and chilled an succeeds in taking the EP in a slightly different direction whilst still fitting in well.

God is an Astronaut - Fireflies and Empty Skies

Another GiaA song, they are either too large a gap in my library to miss or they are easy to make use of in an EP round (I'm going with the latter). The guitar melodies in this are lush and it flows really well with the rest of the EP to this point. There are some more meaty guitar parts towards the end, which sound great but they fade out to lead into the next song. I'd love to hear what comes next on that album.

Elder - Compendium

Now you get to the heavier section of this album. I've heard these guys mentioned before and I knew they were of the sludge metal persuasion. Musically this sounds like a lot of similar bands that I've heard, which is fine, I suppose this genre breeds that. The vocals have a 'Brent from Mastodon' feel and I know you are a fan so I get this. It's all solid but not a great deal more. I think it's hard when you listen to music of this style to really find something that stands out above the rest. I think it all boils down to thick, heavy riffs. I need some great riffs for this to REALLY work, but it's lacking for me. I love this sound and the riffs aren't bad, it's just not much more than solid. It's a little on the long side too. Not a terrible choice but I think it ultimately effected your EP more than any other song. You should check out Barn Burner as they are fairly similar but a bit more like 'party sludge' (if that's even a thing?).

Beardfish - Voluntary Slavery

This song :) it's weird to have this featured in two EPs. I love the pounding drums and heavy guitars. I've heard of these guys before but I expected them to sound a bit more classic prog for some reason. The vocals remind me of another band which I can't place. They bring a good slab of metal to this EP which blends a bit of sludge in for good measure. The riffing is great and the drums feel really huge and are off kilter enough to make it interesting. The reoccurring vocal part obviously sticks in your head, especially as it's the title of Train's EP! I can definitely understand why you have chosen this for my EP, I really dig it. The vocals throughout this really work for me, It's pretty infectious to be honest. The climax makes me want to pound my chest in the manliest of ways. It is a close second for song of the round but as I said yesterday, I think I prefer Words in the Water by Thrice slightly more.

Score: 8.5/10

God is an Astronaut - Suicide by Star

This is a great end to this EP which combines the similar feel and atmosphere to the first half of the EP whilst still being fairly heavy. It's a pretty nice little outro which is exactly the sort of musical glue that holds EPs like this together. I like when the intense drumming comes in at the end (that's a drum machine though right?). Not a lot more to say, just a great way to round this thing off.

Average Score: 14.75/20

Flow: 4/5

Total Score: 18.75/25

Grand Roulette Total: 87

Honestly, this EP had a great flow and was actually a better EP than the one that won 2nd place. As I said at the beginning of this post I think you have been the most consistent throughout this whole thing. You've also provided me with plenty of good new stuff to delve into. I seriously can't thank you guys enough for sticking with this thing and finding some real gems for me.

So to the EP, I really like the intro and if I ever get to doing one of these things this would be how I'd like to start mine. The way your EP is structured it has a few songs that hold it together and help massively with the flow, that can be said of Midaftann and both GiaA songs. It feels to me as though the main 'feature' of the EP is the two back to back heavier songs, which are more songs in their own right compared to the other songs on the EP. I honestly like both but I feel Compendium is a little long. If you had maybe picked another song that did what Voluntary Memery (I liked that one Parama :neverusethis:) did for me then your outcome could've been different. I feel that Compendium was kind of what lets this down. It's honestly still a great EP and definitely better than what I could come up with. Compendium probably felt like quite a safe bet as it should be something that I love but it just didn't quite do it. The outro is also a great way to end it all.

One last thing, did you and Train actually talk at some point about wanting to send that Beardfish song or was it complete coincidence? Either way, it's good stuff  :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Second EP results a go-go!
« Reply #1236 on: March 08, 2017, 05:41:53 PM »
I'm gonna be honest between having it on two EPs and playing it for lolz on plug.dj I actually began to kinda hate voluntary slavery  :lol
but nice you reviewed part of train's ep already

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1237 on: March 08, 2017, 06:05:02 PM »
That's a lot of 7.5s. Tomi approved :tup
Also, Suicide by star deserves more that 7

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1238 on: March 08, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »
That's way better than I expected! Thank youso much for hosting this! I really enjoyd playing in this roulette :azn:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:54:16 AM by home »
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1239 on: March 08, 2017, 11:19:53 PM »
No we never talked about it, pure coincidence :lol go Voluntary Memery :metal

Good luck Scorpion, may the odds be ever in your favour

I actually have no idea about that drum machine comment on Suicide By Star. I know this was one of their first albums and it got remastered in 2011 so maybe back then they didn't have a drummer? More recent albums 100% sure have though, I might relisten to AIV,AIB cause I never heard/noticed anything odd about the drums
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:44:11 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1240 on: March 09, 2017, 03:32:30 AM »
Same to you Train :metal But since we already know that you have one 8.5 in there and I definitely don't, I'm guessing that I'm the guy with the EP that Luke liked a little less than home's and you're the winner.

Would love to be proven wrong though. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1241 on: March 09, 2017, 04:35:02 AM »
Me, win a roulette? That's crazy man, I have never in my life won one

I should've just sent Voluntary Slavery x7, would be an instant win.

Offline home

« Reply #1242 on: March 09, 2017, 05:01:29 AM »
What this guy is spouting (who is he by the way?)
It's a sample from a speech from the movie The Network. I think it's kind of overused but it's a great sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwMVMbmQBug

Sleep Party People got a way better score than I expected btw, I considered sending one of their songs in the orchestral round but didn't expect you to like it too much (and I didn't want to screw up my score just before the EP round)

No we never talked about it, pure coincidence :lol go Voluntary Memery :metal

I actually have no idea about that drum machine comment on Suicide By Star. I know this was one of their first albums and it got remastered in 2011 so maybe back then they didn't have a drummer? More recent albums 100% sure have though, I might relisten to AIV,AIB cause I never heard/noticed anything odd about the drums
Yuup pure coincidence  :lol I'm not entirely sure about the drums either, I always thought that double bass at the end are just normal drums but kind of muffled (like they did live I think), but I wouldn't be surprised if they used loops. I think they didn't had a drummer when they started out

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1243 on: March 09, 2017, 05:07:02 AM »
It's a sample from a speech from the movie The Network. I think it's kind of overused but it's a great sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwMVMbmQBug

The exact same speech is also featured in 'Not For Want of Trying' by maybeshewill, which is a better song.

Me, win a roulette? That's crazy man, I have never in my life won one

I've only won three or so, but considering how many I've played, that's a ridiculously low score. The last win was years ago as well.

EDIT: just checked; Big Hath's first roulette. August 2013 :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1244 on: March 09, 2017, 05:44:55 AM »
For some reason I always thought you were one of the most well-performing regulars. :lol probably cause you were in the final round of the very first roulette I was actively participating in (Parama's first) along with seneca and Sacul

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1245 on: March 09, 2017, 06:19:18 AM »

The exact same speech is also featured in 'Not For Want of Trying' by maybeshewill, which is a better song.

Yea, someone (possibly Tomi??) played that maybeshewill version in one of the plug.dj sessions. I knew I'd heard it before a few times from various sources. It's pretty cool.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1246 on: March 09, 2017, 06:35:19 AM »
It might very well have been me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1247 on: March 09, 2017, 06:58:29 AM »
maybeyoudid

Offline home

« Reply #1248 on: March 09, 2017, 07:03:10 AM »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1249 on: March 09, 2017, 09:51:28 AM »

Well it was unlikely to be anyone who hasn't participated in this roulette  :lol not many others use the plug.dj. I really need to start getting back in there more, I can spam it with my 'best of roulette' playlist!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1250 on: March 09, 2017, 05:31:09 PM »
I really need to check out other Hacride stuff since I'm low key addicted to Lazarus right now

Amoeba I remember being closer in style though so will probably go back and relisten to that one first

Anyways where are results  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1251 on: March 10, 2017, 12:01:26 AM »
Ive only heard Amoeba once and remember literally nothing of it but I recall it sounding more similar to Lazarus yeah.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1252 on: March 10, 2017, 02:15:50 AM »
I'll probably post the #2 EP between 8:00-9:00pm UK time (if I can) then the #1 around midnight. You guys want a bit of a gap between them or simultaneous post?

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1253 on: March 10, 2017, 03:49:23 AM »
Given the format you could post them around the same time if you can, but keep the EP's in separate posts :tup
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1254 on: March 10, 2017, 04:34:22 AM »
Yeah maybe post the #1 like half an hour to an hour after the #2 or something.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1255 on: March 10, 2017, 08:34:36 AM »
i mean once you post #2 we'll know who #1 is anyways  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

Coming in at a respectable second, everyone's favourite,

Deathcore Lobster

Scorpion: EP Title: Collection of Craziness

Schizoid Lloyd - Suicide Penguin

I suppose you could say that this is kind of what I have expect from you Scorp. This feels like another good genre mash up that still holds together well as a song. There is lots going on here but it doesn't fall into that trap of just sounding weird for the sake of it, or to get a reaction. At least that's how it feels to me. It starts off your 'collection of craziness' with a bang but it doesn't quite scratch that itch. I do like the 'Hallelujah's' though.

Unexpect - Unfed Pendulum

This fits perfectly into the same box as the previous song. This has a bit that is SO familiar to me that it is infuriating. I just can't quite place it and it's not there long enough for me to pin it down. I would say that although this is equally as erratic as the first tune this is preferable for me. The risk with this sort of song is that although there are lots of parts that I like, and there are a lot, it is so all over the place that it takes me a lot longer to fully get my head around it. That's fine but you may find that in a months time I may rate this higher than I do right now. These first two songs are really cut from the same cloth and it wouldn't have surprised me to learn that they were by the same band, had I not known.

maudlin of the Well - The Ferryman

I feel this is the weak link in your EP dude. I quite like the organ intro and there are songs which feature organ like this that I love. However, after this we just get these sparse drum sounds which honestly go on too long. After the first two songs this feels really out of place. I like the feel once we get the guitars coming in. There are some nice guitar tones and melodies in this little bit before the insanity creeps back in. I like the vocals at points but it's all a little lacking for me. I really feel I need to hear this in the context of the album it's taken from. The bit at the end with the sounds of dripping water just seem to be there and again doesn't really fit with the rest of the EP for me. It kind of spoils it. I suppose you could say that this is supposed to be like a palate cleanser between the 'craziness' but if that is how it's intended it doesn't quite work for me.

Score: 6/10

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - Seeds

This is a more metalcore approach to the 'craziness' than the other tunes. I think there is more that I dislike with this song than the first two. I do like the parts with the clean vocals a fair bit. The guitar is once again where my ear is drawn and this song for the most part doesn't disappoint here. On last listen something about this reminded me of Cynic as well  :huh: This unfortunately doesn't do much for me though.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Salt Crown

This gives off a little bit of a Leprous vibe at the start and spends quite a time building before it lets loose the 'crazy'. Well this one isn't actually that crazy. It's not bad and there isn't anything that I really dislike. It has some great audible bass that rumbles along. I'm not sure it works so well for me as a climax to this EP. There are some guitar parts in here that remind me of some classic 'Yes' but it sounds strange in a song that is nothing like 'Yes'.

Average Score: 13.75/20

Flow: 3/5

Total Score: 16.75/25 

Grand Roulette Total: 87.5

I did enjoy your EP Scorpion and it was, for the most part, cohesive. I feel that there were two things that let it down. One was that middle song. It felt really out of place and seems like a really weird choice, the end of the song especially. I don't mind the fact that it is a different style, musically, to the rest of the EP but when the other 4 songs are very similar it really makes it stand out. The other problem is that the style of songs that you chose are quite hectic and take a while to 'get', or they did to me at least. I am tempted to listen to some of the albums just to hear the sort of albums they create. For the most part your EP has a good flow and feel to it, it's just a very full on approach to it. I feel like I only ended up scratching the surface with some of these songs. You guys have only shown me that creating an EP in no mean feat and I applaud you all. Cheers for all the good music you have sent me throughout this Scorp, I know quite a lot of your songs will end up on my 'best  of' playlist.

So anyway, we all know who the winner is now  :biggrin: I'll post results within the next few hours  :tup 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Annnndddd second place goes to...
« Reply #1257 on: March 10, 2017, 03:09:36 PM »
train of "at least I didn't send the worst ep"

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1258 on: March 10, 2017, 05:01:32 PM »
Man i actually won, thats surreal. Im curious to see the results now, apart from Voluntary Slavery of course

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1259 on: March 10, 2017, 05:03:45 PM »
Man i actually won, thats surreal. Im curious to see the results now, apart from Voluntary Slavery of course

I may just post the write up of your EP in the morning if that's cool with you guys?

How was the gig by the way?