Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Final results are in....  (Read 77596 times)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Giving myself the D
« Reply #1015 on: February 08, 2017, 07:24:56 AM »
I've started, it's going to be a pretty atmospheric EP I think, I do need to find a good song for an epic climax tho.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1016 on: February 08, 2017, 07:26:28 AM »
You can use this one, maybe?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline home

« Reply #1017 on: February 08, 2017, 07:27:56 AM »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1018 on: February 08, 2017, 07:29:25 AM »
Luke might already know it though, in which case I could hook you up with a different song?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1019 on: February 08, 2017, 09:06:09 AM »
i have no clue what to put on my ep, i only have one song selected tbh

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1020 on: February 08, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »
It's harder than I thought, I've used most of my top-luke stuff up already.

Right now I have 2 draft EP's, the first being more on the atmospheric/emotionally intense side, and the other one being more of a rocker. Knowing you, I'm probably going with the rocker :lol it's still pretty messy though so I'll need some more time.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1021 on: February 08, 2017, 09:24:11 AM »
Well I hope to get the results up for this round by Friday evening but there's no hurry. I'd rather you guys have a bit of extra time so you are happy with them. I would love to actually make it to an EP round  :lol but I know I'd struggle to make a perfect EP with maximum flow.

It's harder than I thought, I've used most of my top-luke stuff up already.

Right now I have 2 draft EP's, the first being more on the atmospheric/emotionally intense side, and the other one being more of a rocker. Knowing you, I'm probably going with the rocker :lol it's still pretty messy though so I'll need some more time.

Well, ordinarily I would say go with the rocker but I think that maybe that EP would be harder to get a good flow opposed to the atmospheric/emotional one. Go with your gut but maybe the non rocker will come together as a more cohesive EP.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1022 on: February 08, 2017, 09:31:53 AM »
Nonono, the atmospheric one actually has terrible flow as it is :lol I have like 3 songs with epic endings scattered through the EP, I have a hard time finding songs that are enjoyable on their own and carry the same atmosphere on to the song following it.

I might do something inbetween, we'll see, I have almost the entirety of tomorrow to give it a closer look.

To be honest, being able to use Cult of Luna for this EP round would have been wonderful, silly me :facepalm:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1023 on: February 09, 2017, 10:56:49 AM »
I have absolutely no clue what to put on my ep, I have a song I discovered recently that I really love and 2-3 songs from an artist I only just noticed isn't banned but no clue what else would fit with those songs on the ep

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1024 on: February 10, 2017, 09:50:09 AM »
Finished my EP just now :tup I might look over it some more over the weekend but I think I'm happy with it right now

Looking forward to them results :corn

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1025 on: February 10, 2017, 12:25:47 PM »
One last listen, to finalise scores (which will take an hour and a half) and I'll be ready to post results. It'll be a few hours yet  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1026 on: February 10, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »
:neverusethis: :soon: :neverusethis:

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1027 on: February 10, 2017, 01:35:35 PM »
Sorry to disappoint, I'm going out for beers with some buddies so this is going to have to wait.

Good news: I've finished write ups and given final scores for 2/4 songs.

Bad news: One of the songs I haven't given a final listen to is Parama's 45 minute song  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1028 on: February 10, 2017, 02:26:05 PM »
you are welcome  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1029 on: February 11, 2017, 03:32:29 AM »
Can't really blame you for going out for drinks on a Friday evening. :lol

I will probably send the EP on Sunday if results are today since I won't be home from 3 PM up until tomorrow, also I still need to mix it since I have to cut out some parts in 1 or 2 songs.

Offline twosuitsluke

Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Send Round 8 Listening
« Reply #1030 on: February 11, 2017, 12:24:51 PM »
Round 9 Results

Following hot on Tomi's heels, here are some results....

home: The Pineapple Thief – Remember Us

I’ve heard a bit about these guys and they are certainly on my radar. Pretty sure I read some Dear Hunter comparisons somewhere. This is quite beautiful but I’m not sure it nails the ‘epic’ side of things as well as some of the other songs. This has quite a solemn feel to it and I like the violins (or is it cello’s?) that accompany the singer. There is an instrumental build which starts but cuts off around the 6:00 minute mark. The song loses momentum a bit here for me and I lose interest a little. The song does start to pick up again after a few minutes but I feel as though the previous section could’ve maybe been dropped altogether. They introduce some electronic sounds from this point in the song which doesn’t do a huge amount for me, I must say. I have found that when I have had this song on in the background it is really nice, and I do like it, but when I listen to it intently I find there are some parts that just lose me. It also doesn’t really have an epic ending or climax. It’s just got some tough competition in this round. I feel it could probably be cut down to a really great song if it was trimmed in a few places. The end is really cool for instance and I love the outro, just a shame that bit is cut a little short.

6.5/10

Train of Naught: Cult of Luna – Cygnus

This starts with some female vocals that remind me of Bjork or something, I have no idea who the female vocalist (Julie Christmas) is but this soon gives way to the crushing guitars that follow. There’s a really nice thick sound to this song and I admit that I definitely liked it from the off. The harsh male vocals are the sort that are just fine by me, they don't have as much of a prominent role anyway though. I’m not really one for paying much attention to lyrics (as you all know) and I can’t help but be drawn to the instrumentation. Julie did start to draw me in though and I did feel that I maybe took more notice than I normally would. The middle section really keeps the song flowing along nicely until the climax around the 9 minute mark, it’s good to hear the range of Julie’s vocals at this point as she doesn’t hold anything back. There is definitely a climax to this song and really the whole last third feels like the climax. I love the pounding drums in the background and the layered vocals in what feels like an extended outro. I quite often like contrast in my music and the contrast between vocalists in the last two minutes of this song is the sort of thing I really like, I find myself wanting to sing both parts. It's all a bit hypnotising, in a good way. Yea, it’s pretty cool and doesn’t really feel like a 15 minute song, atmospheric and crushing at the same time. It's not the greatest epic I've ever heard but it's pretty good. This round is difficult anyway as longer songs are always going to take longer to fall for.

7/10

Parama: Inter Arma – The Cavern

Being the longest song (and almost as long as the other three songs combined) this was hard to score. I can’t really go through all the parts that bring this song together or which bits I like and dislike as it would take too long (but I guess I’ll try). I can just do my best to rate it on the whole. There are plenty of comparisons to other bands that I could throw around and I can totally get why you would send this to me. It is of the sludge ilk and starts with some slow heavy riffing, and some doom-y kind of vocals. At the time of writing this I’m on my 4th listen through and will likely fit in one more listen before posting results. I feel like the majority of this has sunken into my memory at this point and I’m starting to remember (and anticipate) the bits I like, which is cool. Due to the style of this song it is in no rush and the first quarter goes by with a lot of repetitive, crushing riffs which I do enjoy, but the vocals mainly leave me cold. The tempo picks up a bit around the 12 minute mark and then there is a shift again around 14 minutes. This part has some Baroness-esque guitar melodies and is probably one of my favourite parts (I was cooking my tea just while listening to this part and it had me air guitaring along so that's always good). This part may also be more appealing to me as it is mostly instrumental and the vocals are pretty few and far between. At around the 21 minute mark the band shake things up again by introducing some strings into the mix. You honestly don’t hear that sort of sound alongside the heavy, sludge riffs very often. As I’m listening now the vocals really remind me of another band but I really can’t place it. My favourite section, vocally, is when we get some cleans over the mellow part around 26 or 27 minutes. I prefer this vastly over the harsher vocals and there is a nice guitar solo as well, it has the most warmth and feeling within the whole piece (to me at least). I’m not sure if this, as an EP, is supposed to represent the journey deeper into a cavern, but if it does this part right here is the depth that I wish to stay at. This is an EP that has distinct sections and could work as multiple songs that flow together but it also works as one long song. It doesn’t have that epic ending but to be honest it does have the great section around the end of the second third of it. Ultimately the biggest let down in this song, for me, are the vocals. They are ok and kind of work with the music but they don't do a lot for me. Secondly is the fact that this song has a pretty good climax and could actually have ended about 8-10 minutes earlier. I think I would've preferred that as I'm not too into the end (especially the last 5 minutes or so). There is plenty that I love about this but that's the risk with a 45 minute song, keeping it consistently awesome! I’ve noticed that these guys are playing in Bristol in the beginning of May so I may actually go see them.

7.5/10

Scorpion: Wilderun - And So Opens the Earth / Hope and Shadow / Bite the Wound / The Faintest Echo

This song is really cool as it blends a few genres throughout its run time whilst also being a folk/battle metal epic, which I haven’t heard many of. I already have this album on a Spotify playlist but haven’t gotten around to it. More than anything this reminds me of ‘The Varangian Way’ era Turisas. They also manage to pull off epic folk/battle metal similar to this. Epic certainly describes this, the guitar sound is really memorable and there is some serious riffing at times (and some great lead guitar). The variety of vocal styles, mix harsh and clean, makes this feel grandiose. The second part of this is acoustic and again has serious Turisas vibes, there are also other string instruments including a harp (or something very similar) which build the sound and help give it a fuller feeling. The ending even ventures into a kind of wild west motif just before the reprise of a heavy section from the first part. The third part starts with a movie score intro, of goose bump inducing proportions, leading into more heavy riffs. Fairly early on in this third part we have some guitar soloing and a fast section with harsh vocals delivered at breakneck pace. Again there are some really interesting guitar leads and this doesn’t feel generic at any point. This really does feel cohesive whilst throwing a lot of styles at you in a relatively short space of time. If the album itself is as good as this suite then I’m in for a treat. The ending of the third part has some great clean vocals and an outro that is clearly leading you into the final (epic) act. The final act isn’t quite as good as the first three in my opinion (especially the first half of it). You finally get a climax that lasts roughly the final 2 minutes and this section sounds great. I really wasn’t expecting something like this for this round but it is really good and fits the round incredibly well, can’t wait to check out the album.

8.5/10

3. Parama - 60.75 + 7.5 = 68.25

3. Home - 61.75 + 6.5 = 68.25

2. Scorpion - 62.25 + 8.5 = 70.75

1. Train of Naught - 64.5 + 7 = 71.5

This round was always going to be a difficult one to score as long songs can take a long time to sink in. I'm very pleased with what you guys sent though as I am going to check out all four bands.

Next up is the EP round then. I will admit that I'm planning to take my time with this round and savour it. I want to give all of these the time they deserve and not rush them. I also need to iron out exactly how I am going to score these. I'll likely do it as I'd posted with the last round results.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Results are go!
« Reply #1031 on: February 11, 2017, 12:55:51 PM »
Hell yeah :hat The first half of The Faintest Echo reprises part 1, of course.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1032 on: February 11, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »
personally, i feel like the opening suite is the weakest stretch of that wilderun album, though it's still damn good the whole way through  :lol

also that is an acceptable score i can live with. i'm not really bothered by the vocals at all, my only gripe is the whole "15 minutes of basically just two riffs" thing going on at the start and end (though the riff on its own kinda rules) but everything inbetween is great.

anyways i have no clue what to put on my ep, yolo yolo yolo

Offline home

« Reply #1033 on: February 11, 2017, 02:06:34 PM »
Yeah about what I was expecting, as I said I really have a big lack of good epics in my library. Really Nice that you do want to check the band out! My EP is  as good as done, I'll probably send tomorrow.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1034 on: February 11, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
personally, i feel like the opening suite is the weakest stretch of that wilderun album, though it's still damn good the whole way through  :lol

also that is an acceptable score i can live with. i'm not really bothered by the vocals at all, my only gripe is the whole "15 minutes of basically just two riffs" thing going on at the start and end (though the riff on its own kinda rules) but everything inbetween is great.

anyways i have no clue what to put on my ep, yolo yolo yolo

I didn't have too much of a problem with the repetitive riffing for the first ten minutes. It was the end that killed it for me, even though I still enjoyed the song in general. It could've ended at 38 minutes and been better for it.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1035 on: February 11, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »
Eh, if you don't like the lead vocalist you won't love this band like I do, but I bet you'd like the song "The Wreck of S.S. Needle" more (best song on the album), it's 100% Julie on vocals and is her best performance on the album by far.

I may give my EP more time, but if not I will send it tomorrow.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1036 on: February 11, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »
i think i've found enough songs that i like enough to put together a cohesive EP, might replace one of them though, we'll see
gonna be crazy heavy intense  :metal :metal :metal

edit: yeah i'm not happy with my opener right now, i wanna replace it and maybe move my track #2 to be the opener if i need to, ep making sucks when it's not as easy as making home's perfect beautiful ep was. i'm never gonna have an ep that good again lol
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:13:04 AM by Parama »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1037 on: February 12, 2017, 02:32:25 AM »
This is easily my heaviest EP to date :metal I don't think it's as good as the one I originally would have sent home if I made it to finals, but better than the one I sent Sacul for sure. Similar to you, I'm having doubts about my opener, but I'm probably going with it since it's the best I can find. My closer is more epic than the song I sent in the epic round and it's 5 times as short, I mostly prefer short songs to be honest :lol

Oh yeah I'm just putting it all together right now and I'll do a short writeup afterwards, you'll get the EP :soon:

I just noticed that my first two songs (same band) are on the banned list :facepalm: :facepalm: just finished making the EP too, how did I miss that
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 04:00:29 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1038 on: February 12, 2017, 09:29:27 AM »
what banned band  :corn

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1039 on: February 12, 2017, 10:15:25 AM »
i think i've found enough songs that i like enough to put together a cohesive EP, might replace one of them though, we'll see
gonna be crazy heavy intense  :metal :metal :metal

edit: yeah i'm not happy with my opener right now, i wanna replace it and maybe move my track #2 to be the opener if i need to, ep making sucks when it's not as easy as making home's perfect beautiful ep was. i'm never gonna have an ep that good again lol

home has sent me your EP as I requested it from him  :biggrin: I already know about half of the songs but it seems really good. I haven't listened to it yet as I thought there was a chance you may have sent something to me from it, over these last few rounds. I'll give you a review of it after this roulette has finished  :corn

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1040 on: February 12, 2017, 10:23:07 AM »
@Train, currently downloading your EP  :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1041 on: February 12, 2017, 10:35:32 AM »
what banned band  :corn
Norma Jean, probably dodged a bullet there, our host knows one album but is not really a fan. Replaced those songs with classic Train-core

@Train, currently downloading your EP  :metal
:metardica:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1042 on: February 12, 2017, 12:34:37 PM »
it is now sent off.

i don't think i'll be coming back to listen to this EP like I did with home's but that's because this EP is just filled with fantastic songs I'm a little burned out on right now :lol

but i hope you enjoy it and give me a lot of delicious 7.5/10s
i bet my ep is even heavier and more br00tal than train's  :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1043 on: February 12, 2017, 11:30:12 PM »
I'm almost sure of one of the songs you sent then and I love it too :metal dunno, my EP is not extremely heavy (it is all MET4L though) but the second to last song is a total madhouse.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1044 on: February 12, 2017, 11:35:21 PM »
SO BROOTAL, SO KVLT

i'm being sarcastic, i sent no metal at all

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1045 on: February 13, 2017, 07:07:29 AM »
I'm a little behind - just put the first draft of my EP together. Currently testing this for flow; I'll send later today if it works and tomorrow if it doesn't.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1046 on: February 13, 2017, 07:59:55 AM »
I'm a little behind - just put the first draft of my EP together. Currently testing this for flow; I'll send later today if it works and tomorrow if it doesn't.

No worries dude. home still hasn't sent his yet so no rush. Train and Parama both sent me the actual files in this round (Train actually sent it as one file as there were cross fades and some songs were edited down). If you could do that it would be great actually. If not then don't worry too much  :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1047 on: February 13, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »
Holy shit, this might be the best EP I've ever done. It's definitely the weirdest. I can't wait to find out what Luke thinks about this. :corn

EDIT: Sent!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:55:13 AM by Scorpion »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1048 on: February 13, 2017, 09:02:47 AM »
Just PM'd you Scorp, you're going to have to resend buddy.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1049 on: February 13, 2017, 09:30:35 AM »
Dammit. Totally my own fault, I should have really checked previous rounds of this roulette. :P

I've got two tentative replacements lined up, giving them a shot. I think they'll work quite well. Let's see how they turn out.