Author Topic: The Godsmack Thread  (Read 994 times)

Offline NotePad

The Godsmack Thread
« on: October 11, 2016, 09:39:38 AM »
Recently got into Godsmack and couldn't find a thread about them here, so I made one.

I used to assume they were garbage nu-metal. Then I realized there are some great nu metal bands. And I realized Godsmack has done some great stuff.

Their newest album, 1000hp, is alright, I still need to listen to it more. But so far it seems a lot more hard rockish then their usual stuff. I prefer they're all out down tuned metal stuff.

Awake and theit self-titled album are really great. Just good old super heavy stuff. They take some obvious influence from Alice In Chains, and a little from Tool, but I don't see it as a bad thing.

Anyone else into Godsmack here?

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Re: The Godsmack Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 10:47:35 AM »
You hit the nail on the head with their S/T and Awake albums. A couple of fantastic hard-rocking LPs with a bunch of hits on both. I think I enjoy Awake more than the first, but it's tough to choose. After that, though, I couldn't get into much. It all sounded a bit too samey for me, I wanted more variety in their music. I do have their acoustic EP The Other Side, which is great, and the Greatest Hits CD that came out after 4, but that's it. I kinda gave up on them when they put out a song called "Cryin' Like a Bitch."

Seen them do both acoustic and full on concerts, and both were awesome. They played AIC's "No Excuses" at the acoustic show, so it's funny that you picked up on the influence.

Favorite songs: Get Up, Get Out; Awake; Vampires; Re-Align
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 04:24:44 PM »
I went to school with Sully in 4th grade for a 1/2 year until he got kicked out of school.  It was a Catholic school.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 04:28:10 PM »
First three albums are pretty good, Faceless being my favorite (despite awful mastering).

But listening to the lyrics on the first album, one has to ask.....why does Sully want everyone to go away? He talks a bout it a lot.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 08:22:49 AM »
I really like them, although after a while the songs get a little bit samey.

My favorite is Awake with Faceless a close second.
The self-titled is alright and IV had some decent tunes. The Oracle left me cold and I'm currently listening to 1000hp which was a disappointment at first, but is slowly growing on me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 01:07:34 PM »
I loved their debut when it came out. While I don't think it's a great album now, the songs Keep Away and Voodoo are really cool tracks.

About a year or two after Awake came out, I lost interest in them.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 02:44:44 PM »
I got into Godsmack the same time as Disturbed in 2001. I remember riding my bike to K-Mart to buy Self titled and Awake, because I had money, and K-mart sold unedited CDs. Self titled is good up to Bad Religion. Awake was boring as fuck, and I shelved it for a year. I decided to give it another chance, and it clicked more, but some songs still weren't that great. When Faceless came out I was blown away. Typical Godsmack, but just awesome.

So naturally they followed it up with a steaming turd, production wise and song wise. I was so disappointed, and eventually moved on. Just recently I went on a Godsmack binge rediscovering them. Awake was even better than I remember it, in fact only one song I'd consider filler. Self titled was still just half good, and Faceless was as good as ever, although I noticed that all the songs pretty much have the same structure. I found a few decent tunes on IV, but the production is still awful. The Oracle has some good stuff too, and 1000Hp has a couple. They'll probably never top Awake and Faceless, but I'm glad they can still churn out a few decent songs every so often.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 08:56:28 PM »
I don't know what's worse, Cock Rock Godsmack or Neutered Godsmack. Here's some new music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH-E98MltJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKdOrFGojQE

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 09:06:50 PM »
I enjoyed The Devils Swing and The Oracle.

I didn't realize they released a new album.

Edit: When Legends Rise...I thought I put on Tribe Era Queensryche. Ive heard bulletproof before, lets just say they sound more like the mainstream rock like Seether with that track. When Legends Rise I actually enjoyed a bit more. I wonder how the other tracks will fare though.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 09:36:22 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 07:22:17 AM »
I don't know what's worse, Cock Rock Godsmack or Neutered Godsmack. Here's some new music:

Ugh.  I love the first 3-4 records, which are just seething in anger.  Haven't cared for them since The Oracle though.  I can't stand anything that sounds like current day radio rock.  When Legends Rise isn't bad, but it's missing that aggressiveness that the earlier music had. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 08:55:13 AM »

Ugh.  I love the first 3-4 records, which are just seething in anger.  Haven't cared for them since The Oracle though.  I can't stand anything that sounds like current day radio rock.  When Legends Rise isn't bad, but it's missing that aggressiveness that the earlier music had.

I'm the same...never cared after The Oracle, didn't loke 1000hp.

But According to Sully, this is the "new" direction he wants to take Godsmack. To "explore" his writing. Plus, look at the bands the producer produced, you'll understand why those songs sound the way they do.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD