Author Topic: Timeless (TV series)  (Read 6770 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Timeless (TV series)
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2017, 08:24:23 AM »
I must have been too overwhelmed by all of the show's shortcomings and other blunt cultural references to notice. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2017, 08:28:51 AM »
How the hell did I miss that?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2017, 12:06:05 AM »
They fail every mission. How are they still operational :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2017, 01:20:37 AM »
For as long as Flynn is out there, they still have a mission to complete. As for why this particular team is still employed, they have no alternative to Rufus to pilot the machine (for now), and they tried to replace Wyatt with someone they thought could better get the job done, but the other two threatened to quit. And Lucy has demonstrated a great knowledge of history that is essential to preserving history. And nobody else knows how the original timeline was supposed to be as well as her, now that everyone else has been affected by the timeline changes.

But mostly it's a TV show, and they don't have a premise if they actually succeeded. :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2017, 08:49:11 AM »

Executive producer is basically a "write my name on that" credit. :lol

While true for movies, this isn't really the case for TV shows.  The Executive Producers are usually the Showrunners or head writers. 

From wiki:

Executive producer
There are four meanings for the term in North America. Theshowrunneris the "chief executive" in charge of everything related to the production of the show. It is the highest ranking individual who is responsible for the development and daily management of the show. Established show creators with prior writing credits are automatically given the title of executive producer, even after they depart the show. Executive producers can beshowrunners, head writers, the CEO of the production company that distributes the series, or a producer on the writing staff who has climbed up the ranks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2017, 08:53:41 AM »
I find it is still often the case for television. I have no idea in this particular instance though.
I do expect it is far worse for movies given how many years projects often get palmed around for before getting anywhere.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2017, 04:04:14 AM »
This was definitely my favourite setting so far. :lol

Looks like Flynn lied about Wyatt's wife's killer and got that other killer to cooperate. Maybe as a ploy to take out the team?
I'm surprised Lucy agreed about destroying the time machine. Even if it was right, would she really have given up on getting her sister back that easily for the greater good? She didn't even mention her sister at that point in the episode despite mentioning her at the start.

It was also an interesting case where Lucy didn't join the rest of the team on the trip, so now I'm trying to work out the logistics of whether she should now be the Lucy from that timeline and not know she had a sister. I don't know, the whole show is so screwed up in regards to updating the timeline that it's not worth the trouble. :lol

Will the events of this episode with her meeting + confronting her father put her on the path to switching sides, as Flynn has suggested all along with her diary?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2017, 04:11:23 AM »
I agree with everything you said Blob.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2017, 07:11:44 AM »
Blob, you see the new episode? They crammed 17,000 famous characters in this episode.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2017, 07:40:46 AM »
:lol
Yeah, I saw it. It's just hard to comment anymore without going through my usual checklist. As many historical figures as possible crammed into one scenario? Check. Predictable progression of plot points? Check.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2017, 07:52:24 AM »
It's still very entertaining but they'll run out of historic figures soon. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2017, 08:12:45 AM »
Season 2 -

Babe Ruth is hired by Rittenhouse to break FDR's legs for not falling in line with their plan, and the team has to make a difficult decision to preserve history.

Jimi Hendrix and MLK team up with the gang to stop a bomb from going off at MLK's speech. Rufus accidentally inspires Hendrix to play the national anthem at Woodstock.

Walt Disney is a secret spy for Hitler in WW2 who is actually fighting for Rittenhouse, and he's in a secret relationship with Marilyn Monroe, and must poison her to stop her from revealing his big secret, which is not revealed until the final episode.

Frederick Douglass and gang are the original inspiration for The A-Team, and Frederick Douglass uses the catchphrase "I pity the fool" throughout the entire episode.

Do you know how tough it was to think of historical figures they hadn't already crammed into S1? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2017, 05:58:08 PM »
Alright Blob did you see the cliffhanger?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2017, 12:50:35 AM »
Yeah, I watched it later than usual thanks to my internet issues.

It's funny how quickly they wrapped up all of those threads at the start. The first we see of the gang and it's like "Rufus did the thing. We made it. Now to deal with your injury." Instant cut to Rufus fixed. "Rufus is all good now. Thanks fiance Doctor man". Oh but what about Doctor man? We haven't seen him in ages. "I'm breaking it off Doctor man. Sorry". Ok, that's done with too. :lol I thought last week they'd mentioned only being able to take a couple of trips in the lifeboat before needing to recharge, but that was apparently not an issue.

I think the turn of Flynn and the guy running the project was a bit too convenient, and taking down all of those Rittenhouse members (although that appears to be only temporary). It felt like they wanted something that worked as a conclusion if it gets canceled, although they've also set up plenty for next season. The girl's weird visions are maybe of alternate timelines or something? I like the possibilities there. I'd like to see her character play a bigger role next season. It was kind of silly that she was the only one affected because it was somehow designed to only carry exactly 3 people. Shouldn't they all have been affected?

I expected Lucy to read the journal and see some revelation to set up next season. I think we'll definitely see something in the first episode next season to set up a season arc.

You could see the mother's swerve coming at the end, but it was still like "oh shiiiiiii". It raises a lot of questions though. Was her mother Rittenhouse in both timelines? I don't see why not, but that makes no sense. Why didn't Lucy know about it until now? It seems like a stupid twist, but that's to be expected. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2017, 05:00:41 AM »
Yeah I felt it was way too rushed.  I said the same thing to my wife about 4 people in the time machine,  all would be affected.

The ending did surprise me a little.  I do think though the timeline change was the reason she was in Rittenhouse.   Maybe she knew in the other timeline and that's why dad was not in her life and the kids had no clue about Dad.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2018, 08:45:59 PM »
Blob, a very darker tone for the 1st episode of season 2.  A very good start.   Nice surprise at the end of the episode.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2018, 10:41:55 PM »
Not that much darker. I mean, Lucy shot a guy, but it was still family TV dark at best. The "surprise" was pretty obvious. :lol
I thought the start felt very rushed to change the premise to what they wanted, and they recovered to having everything working again pretty quickly, but overall it was alright. Again with the stumbling across historical figures. Oh we need an X-ray, well if it isn't the person who invented the X-ray machine!
You'd think with all of the extra trips the bad guys took to set up their own guys in history, they could have wiped out the good guys easily, but that would require the writers have a basic grasp of time travel mechanics. :blob:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2018, 04:42:07 AM »
I can look through that they rushed it a bit.  Luck killing was the surprise for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2018, 04:47:38 AM »
When they showed the dude right after, he had no wound or blood. Weak! Where did she even shoot him?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2018, 05:56:50 AM »
Oh this has season 2? For some reason I thought it was cancelled. Nice.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2018, 06:15:06 AM »
Oh this has season 2? For some reason I thought it was cancelled. Nice.

It got cancelled, but then something happened and it was renewed, and for whatever reason it took them ages to get around to making a second season.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2018, 06:17:39 AM »
When they showed the dude right after, he had no wound or blood. Weak! Where did she even shoot him?

Typical American TV.  Cable shows blood. The 4 main networks don't.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2018, 11:25:52 AM »
I just watched 2:1 last night (also watched the last episode of season 1 right before to refresh my memory (good thing because I had forgotten most of what happened).  I think this is a fun show and like how the main characters mesh with each other.  Also, since there is no such thing as "actual time travel," I don't really worry about inconsistencies with preconceived notions of "how time travel works."  All in all, it was a very good start to the season, so I'm looking forward to it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2018, 11:33:15 AM »
Also, since there is no such thing as "actual time travel," I don't really worry about inconsistencies with preconceived notions of "how time travel works." 

It has nothing to do with preconceptions, it's not even consistent with its own established rules. Even in a fictional setting, there are ways that time travel could logically work, and ways it doesn't, and this show isn't even internally consistent with its own weak contrived rules, let alone believable science fiction. The show is otherwise fun light entertainment though, in a dumb kind of way.

Sorry, I take my time travel VERY seriously. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2018, 02:06:08 PM »
pg1067, you just poked a hole in blob's vein. :lol

Blob, I think I'm like pg1067.  i can suspend the disbelief and enjoy a show.  Sometimes things bother me but for the most part it slides right off me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2018, 03:25:15 AM »
I'm so sick of the tired old trope of the lead male and female having to get together, but then they gave us the twist ending from out of nowhere! I'm curious to see how that happened.
I liked the scenario this week with Citizen Kane, since it's something I actually knew about, unlike some of the older US history they have. I would have liked to see Orson Welles though.
Adding Flynn to the team is another interesting addition, and I like that it involved something half time-travelly.

But why did the movie producer need to infiltrate Hollywood for 15 years to steal Citizen Kane and get a newspaper column? Kind of a lame plan imo, but I guess they needed to work it into the movie history somehow.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2018, 03:55:08 AM »
I watched the first episode over the weekend and was surprised by the tone, I was expecting a dose of lighthearted dumb fun time travel romp (Like say Doctor Who/Legends of Tomorrow) - what I got was something trying to be (semi) serious and yet still dumb, kind off boring to be honest.  Is it worth continuing with, or is the pilot a reflection on the overall tone of the show (I note the pilot does have one of the lower rating on IMDB)?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2018, 11:42:56 AM »
I just watched the season finale last night.  WOW!  It's been less than a week since it aired, so I won't say anything other than that I'm looking forward to season 3 and hope we don't have to endure any drama about whether or not the show is renewed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2018, 12:04:25 PM »
I really enjoyed the ending and hope it gets renewed.  Now to Blob, what drove you nuts in the last few episodes? :lol
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:51:43 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2018, 12:49:53 PM »
Well...the final scene throws some of the established "rules" into doubt.  Supposedly a decision on renewal may come this week.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2018, 02:18:24 PM »
Well...the final scene throws some of the established "rules" into doubt.  Supposedly a decision on renewal may come this week.

They broke their own rules from the very start. :lol But all of their rules seem to be easily solved by tech, and not actual physics, so it's fine! :neverusethis:
I really thought they'd killed Rufus off for good until that ending, which I liked. They totally changed their mind on the vision of Rufus' death, but eh. So I wonder if future Lucy has handed over her journal yet or whether that's still in her future?

I really hope it gets renewed, because I enjoyed this season a lot, and there were some great emotional moments. The science was still garbage, but I'm used to it now. I like how nobody else found the time machine in its super secret hiding spot in a field covered by some leaves, and how it didn't rust to death being out in the elements for over 100 years.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2018, 02:30:42 PM »
Writing in Klingon is the most irresponsible way to leave a message. In a book. THat was printed probably thousands if not hundreds of thousands of times. But I liked it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2018, 12:21:47 AM »
Writing in Klingon is the most irresponsible way to leave a message. In a book. THat was printed probably thousands if not hundreds of thousands of times. But I liked it.

Oh yeah, that was silly. You think something like that would slip past the internet? Hell no. Klingon isn't THAT obscure. It only takes one other person to notice it, and it would blow up. And figuring out they're coordinates would be easy too. They probably could have seen the damn time ship from Google Earth/Maps. :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2018, 12:25:45 AM »
Yep :lol It was funny, though. If I were responsible for this, I'd write that scene to use some type of math equation or in Morse code or binary :D.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2018, 10:01:39 AM »

Oh yeah, that was silly. You think something like that would slip past the internet? Hell no. Klingon isn't THAT obscure. It only takes one other person to notice it, and it would blow up. And figuring out they're coordinates would be easy too. They probably could have seen the damn time ship from Google Earth/Maps. :lol

You nerd. :lol