Author Topic: Timeless (TV series)  (Read 6769 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Timeless (TV series)
« on: October 03, 2016, 10:57:49 PM »
King suggested this one to me, so I checked it out.
So far it's a fun show, with a pretty weak grasp of actual time travel. I like the characters and the premise so far, although they have little idea on how their time travel mechanism works. How do the timeline changes propagate through time? They weren't instantaneous, because they still knew about the Hindenburg disaster. It only seemed to update after they went back in time, but even then the crew still remembered everything about sending them back, except that now the Hindenburg disaster had changed. The show apparently has no concept of causality or paradox on the biggest factor of the show. It reminds me a little of an early 2000s time travel show called Seven Days, which had a similar looking time machine, and similar problems.

Anyway, silliness aside, I enjoy the revisionist historical aspect of the show, and all things time travel, and it's good fun so far, so I'll probably keep watching for now.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:04:01 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Timeless (TV series)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 12:25:44 AM »
Totally obscure show title.  :lol  Maybe I'll check it out, though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 12:41:44 AM »
Not obscure so much as unoriginal and generic. There's a time travel episode of Voyager with that same name, along with apparently a lot of other things.

Also, I forgot to mention, the black guy had the best lines of the episode. "I am black. There is literally no place in American history that'll be awesome for me." :lol His conversation with the cop in the jail was also great, even though most of it would have meant little to the cop.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 01:56:32 AM »
I should have made that text green.  :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 04:48:07 PM »
So Blob, Eric Kripke who created the show created Supernatural which I like. Shaun Ryan the executive producer made The Shield which I love!

So far they jumped right into the action.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 10:29:30 PM »
So Blob, Eric Kripke who created the show created Supernatural which I like. Shaun Ryan the executive producer made The Shield which I love!

So far they jumped right into the action.

Executive producer is basically a "write my name on that" credit. :lol Never was a fan of Supernatural either.
As I said in the chat thread, there isn't any science fiction history for the people involved, and in that regard it definitely shows. But it is entertaining.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 04:48:45 AM »
Both have a track record  so for me that's a good sign.  Now it's up to the directors and writers to keep us engaged.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 05:08:47 AM »
I wouldn't be doing my job properly if I wasn't the fussy nerd. :biggrin:

I just watched the preview for next week's episode. Looks like it involves the assassination of Lincoln, and Nazi germany and Ian Fleming.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 05:24:01 AM »
The only thing worse than having no creativity is having so much that it seems forced.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 05:35:48 AM »
Well the Lincoln assassination fits with the main arc of the show, which again may interestingly involve averting a tragedy in history for some even worse purpose, so that could be good if they keep it fresh. The Nazi bit is obviously a different setting, but again fits with the main story arc and what happened in the first episode. The inclusion of Ian Fleming is a stretch of coincidence, but from the trailer, they're definitely just having fun with that. The show doesn't take itself too seriously.

You should check it out and judge it for yourself.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 05:42:03 AM »
I really enjoyed the first episode.  It was fast paced.  You were thrown into fire in the first few minutes.  Also, what Blob said there a nice undertone of humor.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 05:43:16 AM »
Is it on Netflix? Or do I have to find it on regular tv?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 06:05:46 AM »
NBC.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 08:11:12 AM »
I've recorded it....probably watch it Friday night. Funny thing is, my kiddos are the ones who were completely sucked in by the heavy advertising leading into it and they want to watch it REAL bad. So, we'll see if it can hold a 10,9 and 6 year old's attention.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 11:06:38 PM »
Second episode was also good. The bit in the previews with WW2 and Ian Fleming wasn't in this episode at all, that preview must have been for another episode to keep people watching after the pilot.

I really like the characters and plots of the show, I just wish they'd nail down their time travel better. They seem to have to rush before history changes, but there's no real elaboration on how it updates, and yet again when they get back, they're checking the history books to see what happened, without drawing attention to how the changes in history affect this operation. The whole thing with sending these guys back should be a paradox. At least they've given an explanation (although not a great one) for why the bad guys can't simply try again repeatedly to change the same event.

Aside from that, another enjoyable episode.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
Abigail meeting Lincoln was a cool moment.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 12:20:25 AM »
That moment when you meet your idol and you're fangirling hard inside but can't fangirl because your job is to play it cool and save history. :lol That was a good moment.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 01:56:37 PM »
I've been there myself!  Except the save the world part. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 11:15:24 PM »
I was like "hey, he's pulling a Back to the Future 2!"
Then he says "It worked in Back to the Future 2". :lol :metal

Nice to see a BTTF reference in time travel besides mentioning a flux capacitor. :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 04:59:01 PM »
Heartwarming and a great line!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 06:11:38 AM »
Finally the Ian Fleming episode. I'd love to know how many different kinds of historically wrong this was. :lol They seem to take history about as seriously as their time travel though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 08:01:27 AM »
Didn't see it yet.  Do you find that it bothers you blob or it's just so fun it doesn't bother you?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 08:18:25 AM »
A bit of both. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 09:05:36 AM »
 :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 01:39:45 PM »
I just saw it the other day, three episodes I think, and I liked it. So far it's pretty OK, nothing to blow your mind but it's interesting enough to watch and it can grow to become something really good. I just hope they give it a chance and don't cut it short like what happened to Journeyman.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 04:58:54 PM »
Never Say Never...

Again.

Really? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 12:44:18 AM »
Since I don't know much about US history, this episode didn't mean much to me. I'd heard of the Alamo and that Ozzy pissed on it, and that's it. :lol

I wonder who Lucy's real Dad is going to be?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 07:19:09 PM »
Blob, you see the new episode yet?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 10:53:32 PM »
Of course. It's not like I have anything better to do than watch shows asap. :lol
A pretty big episode for revealing details and getting everything out there. I wonder what's up with her "father"? Hmm.

I'd say this episode is as recent as they'll go. According to the rules they established in the first episode, this one must have been about borderline for Flynn. The old guy luckily wasn't with them, because he shouldn't have been able to go. I guess the newer time machine is easier to pilot, because the good guys only have one guy capable of operating their one.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 04:11:45 AM »
I got the dad right as she was walking up.  It's a nice twist. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 07:30:45 PM »
Blob, the Queen and I loved this new episode.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 09:24:32 PM »
I really liked the concept, but their complete lack of understanding time travel was beyond facepalm-worthy. :lol I was yelling at the screen.

First of all, when is the timeline actually updating for the people still in the present day, and why do they act like the timelines are running concurrently? Ok, the time machine takes more than 3 minutes to return after Flynn does, so let's hurry up and start digging up where they landed to find the capsule thingy. News flash - it happened hundreds of years ago, they're long dead, and there's no rush. Anything Flynn did in the past has already taken effect too, so if the timeline is screwed, the timeline is screwed. And shouldn't the time machine aim to return immediately after it left? Both time machines should be doing this, so there's no reason for a delay, except for again mistakenly treating the timelines as concurrent.
And they had to hurry up to catch and guide the time machine while it was in transit. The time machine actually departed hundreds of years ago, how are they acting like this is something currently in progress? THIS IS TIME TRAVEL 101, PEOPLE! :lol If you treat this as realtime as this show does, there actually should have been an iteration of the timeline where they failed to get back and died, because the timeline had to update first for your message to survive till the present day. It's like they used Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure as their example of time travel mechanics.

The lesson is you just can't use causality when you treat time travel that way, it doesn't work.

And how did they perform that repair to the hull of the machine? It was this perfectly round patch that was secured with screws or something. Just how? It almost made the capacitor seem plausible (and here they put the obligatory flux capacitor reference, because time travel fiction will never live that down). Ignoring the unlikeliness of only requiring one capacitor to fix the circuits, and the ability to make a practically usable capacitor in those times, the charge it would hold and its reliability would be so worthless that they'd have probably been better off just bypassing it altogether.

As I've said, I do enjoy this show, but it is so damn stupid. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2016, 04:22:59 AM »
The round patch was the only thing that really bothered me. It looked to perfect.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2016, 04:38:48 AM »
I forgot to mention, the Star Wars / Trek thing bugged me too. Come on, any scientist who is smart enough to invent time travel is a fan of Star Trek! :blob:
But I guess this show is aimed more at a Star Wars audience than a Star Trek one, if you know what I mean. :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2016, 04:50:01 AM »
That's because Star wars is more relevant right now.