Author Topic: Rolling Stone lists the best 100 TV shows ever  (Read 1339 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Rolling Stone lists the best 100 TV shows ever
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:29:30 AM »
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/100-greatest-tv-shows-of-all-time-w439520

No Carol Burnett Variety Show, Cosby Show or Dexter?  For shame.

Orange Is the New Black is way too high.

My three favorites are 1, 3 and 5, which I can live with.  Cheers was too low at 20, but oh well.

Offline Skeever

Re: Rolling Stone lists the best 100 TV shows ever
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 10:02:34 AM »
Lot of good stuff there. I think The Sopranos is pretty overrated compared to shows like The Wire, but I understand why it gets so high in the list since it kicked off the "golden age", as the list says.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 10:15:01 AM »
I like that MST3k is on the list but I'm kinda bummed that Barney Miller isnt lol.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 10:58:35 AM »
No interest in seeing the top 4 so I can't comment on those, but Seinfeld, Simpsons, and Twilight Zone after that are all excellent picks.

Commenting on the shows out of the list that are among my personaly favourites-

Golden Girls - Happy to see it included anywhere in the list. My favourite sitcom of the '80s. I don't find any other show from this era very funny, but The Golden Girls is still hilarious.
Doctor Who - It had to be included, although personally I think the longest running scifi show of all time with over 800 episodes deserves to be ranked much higher. Not unexpected for an American list though.
TWD - Seems placed about right. Very popular current show that started off very strong and fresh, but it hasn't had the consistency to place higher.
30 Rock - Pleasantly surprised to see this ranked so high. An underrated and underappreciated show that I can watch repeatedly.
Star Trek - Great to see this top 20. Such a widespread impact on society beyond television.
Game of Thrones - I'm sure it will end up even higher in time, but it's too new to place it over the classics yet. I expect it will nab the top spot given a few years though. GoT stands alone.
The Twilight Zone - I'm amazed and thrilled to see this ranked so high. Movies and TV shows are still pillaging the show for ideas, it was that good. It still holds up very well today.
Simpsons - The golden era of The Simpsons is untouchable imo, and this show basically defined my generation. Shame that over the past ~15 years it's gone from the best animated show on TV to one of the worst.
Seinfeld - I don't actually need to say anything here. It's Seinfeld.

My favourite show isn't on the list, but I wasn't expecting it to be given the genre and lack of impact. Given how large a cross-section is covered, it actually seems like a pretty solid list overall though. No individual is going to find the entire list to their specific tastes when you're covering over 50 years, but most of these choices make sense.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 11:04:44 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 11:29:17 AM »
24 and The Shield should switch spots

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 11:35:15 AM »
Blob, I never knew you were a 30 Rock fan.  I love that show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 07:51:45 PM »
I don't know what people see in "The Wire". I think Oz is so much better in every way.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 04:31:28 AM »
No Blackadder?!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 06:51:51 AM »
How come people are allowed to say with impunity "this is TV's golden age" but I can't say that Film's golden age was pre-1980?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 09:03:40 AM »
I don't know what people see in "The Wire".
The writing, acting, and directing, mostly. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 11:02:26 AM »
I don't know what people see in "The Wire".
The writing, acting, and directing, mostly.

So the secondary things eh? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 11:21:23 AM »
I started at the bottom and scrolled up and kept saying to myself, if they are including talk shows in this list then they should include game shows and where the fuck is jeopardy?  Well it did make the cut.

Overall I think the list is mostly shit.  It's got all the shows, but the order is terrible for the most part, but it's all opinion so not a big deal.