Author Topic: Living Colour returns!  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: Living Colour returns!
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 12:28:32 PM »
I really like it upon first listen. Really strong record.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 02:58:44 PM »
Managed to listen to it once in full on the weekend. Yeah, it is a really strong record. I'm noticing things on subsequent plays of the album, which is always a good thing. I don't think it gets up to the level of the first three (Vivid, Time's Up, or Stain), but I didn't expect it to. What I love is how well produced and mixed it is. You can hear Vernon, and the band sounds incredibly energized.

They need to have Collideoscope and especially Chair in the Doorway remixed. "Burned Bridges" from the latter is one of Vernon's (and the band as a whole) finer moments IMO, and you can barely hear Vernon.

It's strange that those two albums get almost no love live. They played Flying a few years ago which was amazing(appropriate today) and occasionally Behind the Sun, which is one of my favorites. When I saw them last a few months ago when they asked for requests. I said Behind the Sun and Doug said something like Vernon loves that song and can play it all night. Someone else said Decadence from the same album and Doug(who was holding the mic to the people) said that no one but him remembers how to play that song.  If you're curious they wound up playing Glamour Boys. I have no idea if that was pre planned, but it was not on the set list.

As far as the new album, yes every new listen you pick up on new things. Preachin' Blues has some really great sounding bass guitar.

I'm planning on picking up Shade soon. Hopefully they will play some newer stuff live. I'd rather hear them play what they want to play rather than a hits set.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 03:36:33 PM »
Managed to listen to it once in full on the weekend. Yeah, it is a really strong record. I'm noticing things on subsequent plays of the album, which is always a good thing. I don't think it gets up to the level of the first three (Vivid, Time's Up, or Stain), but I didn't expect it to. What I love is how well produced and mixed it is. You can hear Vernon, and the band sounds incredibly energized.

They need to have Collideoscope and especially Chair in the Doorway remixed. "Burned Bridges" from the latter is one of Vernon's (and the band as a whole) finer moments IMO, and you can barely hear Vernon.

It's strange that those two albums get almost no love live. They played Flying a few years ago which was amazing(appropriate today) and occasionally Behind the Sun, which is one of my favorites. When I saw them last a few months ago when they asked for requests. I said Behind the Sun and Doug said something like Vernon loves that song and can play it all night. Someone else said Decadence from the same album and Doug(who was holding the mic to the people) said that no one but him remembers how to play that song.  If you're curious they wound up playing Glamour Boys. I have no idea if that was pre planned, but it was not on the set list.

As far as the new album, yes every new listen you pick up on new things. Preachin' Blues has some really great sounding bass guitar.

Bill,

They did on their respective tours. I saw them a couple of times on Collideoscope, and they played Sacred Ground, Flying, Operation Mind Control, A ? Of When, and a couple of others. I saw them once or twice on the Chair in the Doorway tour, and they played...I want to say three or four from that record. My memory is hazy because I also saw them on the Vivid 25th Anniversary tour, and then a couple times in 2014 -- once was a festival appearance at an amphitheater (had Corey Taylor on the bill, Anthrax, etc.), and then a headline show (both of these were summer 2014). If I remember right, they did Preachin Blues at that headline show. i want to say they did Who Shot Ya...but I don't think they did. I think it was before they had that ready.

I saw them once in May 2002 (my first time), and that was pre-Collideoscope. And I absolutely remember Sacred Ground, because they turned it into a 20 minute jam session, and it went on forever. And there were a couple of other tunes at the time I didn't recognize.

I saw them next in April 2003 and Collideoscope was out, or close to being out, and they played a bunch from it (I have the set list at home...this was at The Downtown in Farmingdale, NY). I didn't see them again until Sept. 2005, and they played a few then -- https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/living-colour/2005/the-independent-san-francisco-ca-33c7c88d.html. Five years later, I saw them again, but don't remember the set. But it was right after the release of Chair in the Doorway, and they did play a bunch of it (can't find the setlist, but remember the gig). It wasn't until 2013 I saw them next, which was the Vivid 25th I mentioned earlier. And then the two 2014 gigs I mentioned.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bill1971

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 03:43:45 PM »

Bill,

They did on their respective tours. I saw them a couple of times on Collideoscope, and they played Sacred Ground, Flying, Operation Mind Control, A ? Of When, and a couple of others. I saw them once or twice on the Chair in the Doorway tour, and they played...I want to say three or four from that record. My memory is hazy because I also saw them on the Vivid 25th Anniversary tour, and then a couple times in 2014 -- once was a festival appearance at an amphitheater (had Corey Taylor on the bill, Anthrax, etc.), and then a headline show (both of these were summer 2014). If I remember right, they did Preachin Blues at that headline show. i want to say they did Who Shot Ya...but I don't think they did. I think it was before they had that ready.

I saw them once in May 2002 (my first time), and that was pre-Collideoscope. And I absolutely remember Sacred Ground, because they turned it into a 20 minute jam session, and it went on forever. And there were a couple of other tunes at the time I didn't recognize.

I saw them next in April 2003 and Collideoscope was out, or close to being out, and they played a bunch from it (I have the set list at home...this was at The Downtown in Farmingdale, NY). I didn't see them again until Sept. 2005, and they played a few then -- https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/living-colour/2005/the-independent-san-francisco-ca-33c7c88d.html. Five years later, I saw them again, but don't remember the set. But it was right after the release of Chair in the Doorway, and they did play a bunch of it (can't find the setlist, but remember the gig). It wasn't until 2013 I saw them next, which was the Vivid 25th I mentioned earlier. And then the two 2014 gigs I mentioned.

I have only seen them between albums starting with 2014. So they played a variety of songs. I think at 2 of the 3 shows they played Who's That? and for all 3 I am pretty sure they opened with Preachin Blues. and played Who Shot Ya? I didn't care for Who Shot Ya? at first and now really enjoy it. Great guitar in it. Looking forward to the Shade tour. I just missed Vivid in it's entirety. Would have loved to seen that. The first show I went to they were selling a copy of it for 10 bucks, cash only but I had no cash. I figured I could get it online but no luck. I even emailed the website but never got a response.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2017, 08:13:16 AM »
I've been hoping they'd celebrate the anniversaries of Time's Up and Stain, as I never got to see them during that initial run from 1988-1994, but they haven't so far. The "classic 3" are still, to me, the best in their catalog. I really like Shade, but I'd probably put it fourth.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bill1971

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2017, 08:25:21 AM »
I've been hoping they'd celebrate the anniversaries of Time's Up and Stain, as I never got to see them during that initial run from 1988-1994, but they haven't so far. The "classic 3" are still, to me, the best in their catalog. I really like Shade, but I'd probably put it fourth.

I agree. Vivid, Time's Up and Stain are an amazing run. I as well would put Shade 4th, possibly above Time's Up or at least on par with. I really enjoy the Chair, Behind the Sun alone elevates the album then Collideøscope.  Although Collideøscope has Flying, Lost Halo and Holy Roller. all of which are amazing!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2017, 02:50:09 PM »
They just kicked off their London Shade tour run. Curious to see the set list and how much of the new material they play.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2017, 09:51:47 PM »
Caught these guys again last night.  Planned to get the album, but since I didn't buy an advance ticket like I planned to I didn't have the cash for the CD.

Though the show was awesome, really beautiful bass solo by Doug (and a cool solo by Wil) I wish they didn't focus so much on Vivid. Have to say it was great to hear Elvis is Dead  and Should I Stay Or Should I go.  New stuff was great too. Wish there was more of it.

Probably my favorite show of the three I've seen over the last 15 years.

First show of the US Tour which I guess is kind of neat. Mistakes were made but it was still pretty fun.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2017, 08:13:38 PM »
Shade is good but some of the songs sound a bit muddy/garage style in the production.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
Shade is good but some of the songs sound a bit muddy/garage style in the production.

That may have been a style choice or they just may not have been economically feasible.