Poll

Which biopic do you prefer?

Steve Jobs (Fassbender)
2 (50%)
Jobs (Kutcher)
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Steve Jobs v. Jobs  (Read 628 times)

Offline PetFish

Steve Jobs v. Jobs
« on: September 22, 2016, 12:16:04 AM »
I finally got around to watching Steve Jobs and can now look at them both.  I much prefer Jobs.

I remember people ripping Kutcher's version and praising Fassbender's so it was great to finally check it out for myself but I though Kutcher's was WAY better.

Jobs (Kutcher):
- Kutcher *is* Jobs.  They look and talk and move the same it's uncanny.  You can tell how much work Kutcher put into the character.
- Josh Gad *is* Woz.  Honestly, all the actors could have been any one of the real guys.
- Much more character-driven.
- Covers a lot of the history of Jobs and Apple and the "small" people who were there from the start.
- Jobs isn't a dick the entire time.
- So much more meat to chew on.
- I really enjoyed the character development, I felt like I knew them pretty well by the end.
- Kutcher's performance was spot-on and really made everything work.

Steve Jobs (Fassbender):
- A-List cast but none of them really fit the characters.  I didn't buy Fassbender as Jobs at all.  I think they thought they could just buy an all-star cast and it would just work out.
- Seth Rogan is *not* Woz, not even close.
- Jobs is a dick throughout.
- I don't care about anyone, really, I just don't.  They spent way too much screen time beating a few things into the ground (ie. "28% could be the Father").

I've read Jobs' biography, it's amazing, and felt a real connection with Kutcher's version, but Fassbenders' version was weak at best.  I really have no idea why the media trashed Kutcher's version so badly.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Steve Jobs v. Jobs
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 05:32:51 AM »
Fassbender, no contest.

Maybe it's because I'm really not a Kutcher fan, and a big fan of Fassbender, but I saw both and liked Steve Jobs more.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 04:16:22 PM »
Cool.

I think I just really love the history of Kutcher's version whereas Fassbender's was for a very small window of time.  Seeing the relationship start with Mike Markla (sp) and develop, same with Scully, and everyone really was great.  With Fassbender's we're already 10-15 years in and they just show up in the story.

Have you read Jobs biography?  It's intense.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 06:32:41 PM »
It's one of the many things on my list.

I always wondered why they made two movies about Steve Jobs within such a short period of time. I just always assumed they covered two different time periods.