Author Topic: The Night Of - HBO  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Shooters1221

The Night Of - HBO
« on: July 01, 2016, 10:25:19 AM »
Just saw the first episode and it looks like it's going to be an awesome show. Didn't realize the Turturro part was originally for Gandolfini. Can't wait to see how this progresses! ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Night Of - HBO
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »
I saw that the first episode was already available on On Demand, HBO GO and HBO NOW.

I am going to wait until the actual premiere date next weekend.  This looks right up my alley.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
Yeah...I've been eyeing this one as well. HBO has such a good track record I can't imagine this won't be good.....if anything it'll be better than most other options.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 04:58:19 AM »
I saw that the first episode was already available on On Demand, HBO GO and HBO NOW.

I am going to wait until the actual premiere date next weekend.  This looks right up my alley.

I did watch the online version which is why I didn't want to reveal details because I thought most people would wait, but I decided to at least start a topic on it because it is looking like it's gonna be good......I hope.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 04:52:41 PM »
Watched the first episode. I love the tone, so dark and gritty feeling.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 01:37:48 AM »
Love it because I genuinely don't know where it's going.

Detective Box is such a great character because he comes off as nice, but he was perfectly summed up by Naz as the Subtle Beast. I don't know what to think of him.

Three people of interest for me:
The motorcyclist, the hearse driver, and the stepfather
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 07:29:22 AM »
Watched the first two episodes this week and.... fucking awesome show!  Really don't know where it's going, but the characters are really good and so is the directing.  Really loving it and I'm expecting some twists and turns.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 01:41:56 PM »
This is a great show, every episode leaves me wanting more. I love that this type of shows are getting more popular nowadays. They tell a full story over a season and episodes don't really end on an annoying cliffhanger (at least not in the traditional sense) that always left a bad taste in my mouth for any show I don't binge. The writing is great, the characters and actors are doing superb job and even though the show is slow and there's no action, the time flies by and it doesn't feel slow at all.

That said, if you can just wait for the whole thing to be out before watching, if you can resist it after seeing the pilot.

Edit: Oh, yeah, and the intro is great, doesn't make me want to skip over it. At least not yet.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 04:06:07 AM »
Been following this one as well, and so far it's great. Can't wait to see where this is going.

Naz was pretty badass in the latest episode.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 05:20:28 AM »
Been following this one as well, and so far it's great. Can't wait to see where this is going.

Naz was pretty badass in the latest episode.

Yeah, it's almost like they want the viewer to question the innocence of Naz by showing a different side of him.

I also noticed that every scene where they go back to the murder scene, they show that moose head(or whatever) on the wall, which is intriguing.

I'm loving it all so far. Hope it stays at the high quality level as it moves forward.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 05:33:11 AM »
Best show on TV right now.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 07:32:49 AM »
Loved Sunday's episode. I like how they made us start questioning his innocence. A theory I read, that was interesting but would kinda change the whole scope of the show, was that he'll be found innocent of murdering her, but will do something in prison to stay there.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »
Best show on TV right now.

Agreed.

What I really like about this show is the realism.  There's a lot of intricate details that are either personal to the characters or in terms of how things actually work in the real world (I love the detective and DA interactions).  I've always thought it's possible Naz did it so this was the first time there was some actual signs that it's more likely, but then it ended with leading you to believe its DR  :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 04:18:19 AM »
I don't know if it's the best show on TV right now, but it's certainly really good.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 11:27:13 PM »
Happy to see the Hearse Driver come back into play. Fantastic episode tonight! Naz just keeps digging deeper and the tattoo thing isn't helping. It's interesting that Freddy helps Naz with things like shirts and jail clothes colors and the cellphone, but doesn't seem to flinch at the tattoos which could hurt Naz in the eyes of the jury.

A few questions: What happened to Duane Reed and is the eczema subplot finally done?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 09:29:10 AM »
No idea, but I'm wondering if Duane Reed, the Hearse driver, and Naz himself are all just misdirection in terms of who is actually the murderer.  I've been saying since the 3rd episode, my bet is on the lawyer (Turturro).  But honestly, I have no idea.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 08:19:16 PM »
I just hope it isn't the step dad. That's too cliche
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline tofee35

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 07:52:43 AM »
No idea, but I'm wondering if Duane Reed, the Hearse driver, and Naz himself are all just misdirection in terms of who is actually the murderer.  I've been saying since the 3rd episode, my bet is on the lawyer (Turturro).  But honestly, I have no idea.

I never thought of that. It may explain why he's doing "detective work" so to speak on other suspects.  But, why not let the mountain of evidence pointing at Naz just convict him? Maybe he has a soft spot for Naz and feels guilty. So, he's looking for a way to pin it on somebody. Somehow, if you're right, the cat has something to do with him... maybe it scratched him that night.

I like the theory!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 08:04:10 AM »

I never thought of that. It may explain why he's doing "detective work" so to speak on other suspects.  But, why not let the mountain of evidence pointing at Naz just convict him? Maybe he has a soft spot for Naz and feels guilty. So, he's looking for a way to pin it on somebody. Somehow, if you're right, the cat has something to do with him... maybe it scratched him that night.

I like the theory!

So this past week episode has lead to more clues to the father being the one so I guess that's the easy pick, but here's my theory on Turturro. 

What's his motive?  Well the show has clearly shown us that no one respects him.  When he landed the case (and I'll come back to this) almost everyone he interacts with takes a shot at him (like "oh thats a big one from you?" "Are you sure you can handle this?"  "how did you land this?") and also the scene where he talks to the students and just gets pissed on practically.  Also what is the point of his feet side story?  Maybe his shitty deteriorating feet was a motive for him to either try to end his life or to try to score a big money case.  Just a thought, I've been wondering why there is such a strong focus on his feet throughout the entire show.

So how did he get the case?  He just happened to be in the right spot at the right time. Suspicious to me.

When he found out Naz's family chose a different lawyer and he was actually officially off the case, that didn't stop him from continuing to investigate.  Why is he so invested in this case as a low lever lawyer?

So he also has been shown to not be such a stand up person.  We see him buy drugs and go to a prostitute.  He also knows a lot of criminals having defending them for so long, he could have connections.

I think that's all I got, but I also just feel the show has shown us quite a few potential killers I'm thinking it can't be the obvious because well that would just be boring.

Also, this weeks episode was awesome.  I loved the questioning scenes in court, especially with the detective who we all thought was so thorough and good at his work, but a nice deed he did might have been a big mistake.  You could also tell it was on his mind at his surprise party that evening.  Also the end of the episode, while there is certainly question as to Naz actually being the killer, he most certainly has become one now.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 02:48:48 PM »
It was announced a few weeks ago that there MIGHT be a Season 2.  So, I have no idea if this Sunday concludes this story line, or if it involves a cliff hanger.

I've appreciated everything EXCEPT for the kiss between the attorney and Naz.  It just did not fit her character.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 02:55:18 PM »
It was announced a few weeks ago that there MIGHT be a Season 2.  So, I have no idea if this Sunday concludes this story line, or if it involves a cliff hanger.

I've appreciated everything EXCEPT for the kiss between the attorney and Naz.  It just did not fit her character.

I'm holding my reservation about things I may or may not like until the season ends.  How it ends may lead me to like/dislike certain aspects... I'm looking at you deer head!

But yea, that kiss did feel very out of place, but also I think there is a real psychological effect there.

And IMO, I would think season 2 would be a different story since this story is based on a BBC show I thought of small stories?  I could be wrong.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 08:36:46 AM »
Well....the final in a way raised more questions than it answered for those who still haven't seen it.  Which did make for some great television, without everything being all tied up neatly in a bow.  Head and shoulders above 95% of the dreck currently on the tube.

Perhaps the saddest 'happy' ending of any series I've seen. 

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
Yea, I enjoyed the ending.  I kept thinking to myself there was going to be a twist, the killer was going to be something unexpected and it would leave our jaws dropping (hence my off the wall prediction).  However, in the end, the show did what it did all along, show the realities of the judicial process.  Showed the flaws, showed the humanity, and the intricate details of what happens and the impacts on people's lives.  Totally not a happy ending even though he did get off from the murder.  As for the open holes at the end, I don't really feel like it's a big deal.  That's a story for another time or never, but looking back, it seems that "who killed her?" was never really the point of the story and therefore that part I think is OK to be left open ended.   If they do come back for another series, I want it to be a new story anyway. 

Definitely some of the best TV of the year IMO (which is fairly limited I will admit).

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 09:13:16 AM »
I was really nervous throughout the trial scenes which just shows how good the writing was for the show. I'm glad this didn't go all super depressing on us at the end. It would have felt a bit too hollow.

Online faizoff

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 09:20:24 AM »
Binged this entire show yesterday lol, I absolutely loved it. Excellent show and if any of you listened to the Serial Podcast, this show seems essentially a TV show version of that podcast. The characters on this show were fantastic. I don't think I've ever been disappointed in any HBO show so far, this includes second season of True Detective. The acting was superb and had forgotten the main guy Riz Ahmed was in Nightcrawler as well. Great talented actor.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »
Yea, I enjoyed the ending.  I kept thinking to myself there was going to be a twist, the killer was going to be something unexpected and it would leave our jaws dropping (hence my off the wall prediction).  However, in the end, the show did what it did all along, show the realities of the judicial process.  Showed the flaws, showed the humanity, and the intricate details of what happens and the impacts on people's lives.  Totally not a happy ending even though he did get off from the murder.  As for the open holes at the end, I don't really feel like it's a big deal.  That's a story for another time or never, but looking back, it seems that "who killed her?" was never really the point of the story and therefore that part I think is OK to be left open ended.   If they do come back for another series, I want it to be a new story anyway. 

Definitely some of the best TV of the year IMO (which is fairly limited I will admit).

Great post. I agree with all of this. I too was expecting a huge twist in the ending with maybe a spot we viewers missed during the season, or crazy plot shocker, but it was rather calm and smooth and I enjoyed that approach also because, yes, the acting and writing of the season was sooooooo strong and professional. Great show!!  :tup

Online faizoff

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 10:20:44 AM »
I think if anything Lost has taught me to really manage expectations when watching a mystery/thriller drama. Making grand predictions always almost disappoints and I've learned to just watch each episode with no real thought process as to what is going to happen. I find that I really enjoy shows now. The Night of also reminded me of the first season of The Killing where every episode sort of gives a red herring on who might have done it and in the end it's someone completely different.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2016, 08:51:38 AM »
Came across this article about a TV show that does an inside look on prisons and it reminded me of this show so figured I'd share

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/aspiring-police-officer-went-undercover-204454655.html

I think the show did a really good job of the realities behind bars.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2016, 09:05:34 PM »
A friend sent us copies of the five 'Criminal Justice' episodes that this was based on.  If you can get a hold of them, they are must see.

The basic premise is the same, but the characters are slightly to extremely different, or merged.  Also, you do not know what happened (and even that comes to a different conclusion).  And what a difference in prisons!

'The Night Of' had more time to flesh out the characters.  It also made us wonder even more of how differently James Gandolfini would have played Stone, not that we think anyone could have been better than John Turturro.

SPOILER ALERT.....there are no cats.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2016, 04:47:41 AM »
'The Night Of' had more time to flesh out the characters.  It also made us wonder even more of how differently James Gandolfini would have played Stone, not that we think anyone could have been better than John Turturro.

SPOILER ALERT.....there are no cats.

Robert De Niro was supposed to succeed Gandolfini after his death but I guess there was conflicts in scheduling, who knows, but that would have been interesting too. I must say I loved how Turturro played this role as he has a unique style.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:33:02 AM by Shooters1221 »