Author Topic: Child Actors. Y dey so fucked up doe ?  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Child Actors. Y dey so fucked up doe ?
« on: September 19, 2016, 02:57:19 PM »
Ok. Child Actors. We know a lot of them go on to be massive druggies in trouble with the police.

Why is that ? Too much at a young age ? Unable to say no to drugs etc ?

Which child actors have gone on to have successful movie careers as adults ? Elijah Wood ?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Child Actors. Y dey so fucked up doe ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 03:29:53 PM »
Joseph Gordon-Levitt comes to mind as a successful one.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 03:38:18 PM »
Leonardo di Caprio, Jodie Foster, Natalie Portman, Ryan Gosling, Jason Bateman, Neil Patrick Harris, and Anna Paquin are, on top of my head, child actors who've had very successful careers as adults.

Interesting enough, now working in LA in this business for three years, I have had some conversations with long time talent wranglers and studio teachers about working with young talent, and the one thing that they always mention is they hate seeing parents pushing them into doing it as if they never had a choice, and then they grow up hating their life because they never had a childhood.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 09:26:54 AM »
Leonardo di Caprio, Jodie Foster, Natalie Portman, Ryan Gosling, Jason Bateman, Neil Patrick Harris, and Anna Paquin are, on top of my head, child actors who've had very successful careers as adults.

Interesting enough, now working in LA in this business for three years, I have had some conversations with long time talent wranglers and studio teachers about working with young talent, and the one thing that they always mention is they hate seeing parents pushing them into doing it as if they never had a choice, and then they grow up hating their life because they never had a childhood.

Funny because when I was out there 25-30 years ago I heard the same thing about parents. It aint right... :censored

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:35:25 AM »

Success:

Fail:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 10:47:30 AM »
The OP sounds like an Ali G interview

I will say fame and money at a young age when you are not mentally and physically prepared for it is a big reason for why they grow up and struggle.  Good parenting would go a long way for child actors.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 10:51:48 AM »
I will say fame and money at a young age when you are not mentally and physically prepared for it is a big reason for why they grow up and struggle.  Good parenting would go a long way for child actors.

As much as I really can't stand Justin Bieber, one of the reasons I always defended him was because if I had a net worth approaching $100M by the time I was 18, I wouldn't have lived long enough to see 20.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:03:47 AM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 10:54:04 AM »

As much as I really can't stand, Justin Bieber, one of the reasons I always defended him was because if I had a net worth approaching $100M by the time I was 18, I wouldn't have lived long enough to see 20.

Well, yea me too.  If I didn't have parents who kept me level I would be just like him or Johnny Manziel.  They also get the benefit of law enforcement too, usually don't get in much trouble or just a slap on the wrist when they do get caught so they never really learn a lesson.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 11:48:55 AM »
The Harry Potter trio, led by far by Emma Watson, are all very successful child actors.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »
What has Rupert Grint done since HP ?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 11:58:34 AM »
What has Rupert Grint done since HP ?

Parties with Steel Panther.. obviously

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 12:07:24 PM »
Geez, did everyone forget who was probably one of the first child actors of this time to go through the drug issues and rebound - Drew Barrymore.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 12:09:01 PM »
Yes but i'm on about Child Actors who *never* got fucked up.

Haley Joel Osment didn't do drugs as far as we know - but his roles have gotten more bizarre and well... he discovered cheeseburgers.

Did A.I. stand for "Appetite Inhibitor " ?

Coz that sure failed.

( just like the movie... )

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 12:12:17 PM »
Ahhh I see. I thought you meant reformed druggies who went on to have successful careers. My bad.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 01:33:08 PM »
Well, I mean there are definitely plenty of examples of child actors/entertainers who aren't screwed up and have success as adults (or, at least, they aren't significantly more screwed up than actors/entertainers that gained their celebrity status a bit later in life).  But it is certainly a problem that such a disproportionally high number do wind up incredibly screwed up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 02:12:44 PM »
Christian Bale (Thinking of Empire of the Sun in particular. Not sure what else he was in as a child.)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 02:28:59 PM »
Christian Bale (Thinking of Empire of the Sun in particular. Not sure what else he was in as a child.)
Newsies is probably his most well-known other child role, but he did a lot, and he's a good example for this thread (aside from his infamous rant).

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 06:39:20 PM »
Ben Affleck turned out OK but I'm not sure if he was in anything other than Voyage of the Mimi as a kid.

Translation: I'm too lazy to Google something.