Author Topic: The first music you've ever heard  (Read 1955 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
The first music you've ever heard
« on: September 15, 2016, 05:43:01 PM »
I was thinking about this while driving the other day. What is the first song (or songs) that you remember hearing. As a bonus do you still listen to those artists/songs now?

What sparked this was when I was driving and I heard "Yet Another Movie" which was one of the earliest songs I remember hearing. My dad had A Momentary Lapse Of Reason album and I loved it when I was young. I also remember listening to "Telegraph Road" by Dire Straits and "Sacrifice" by Elton John which are also songs I love.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: The first music you've ever heard
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 06:16:18 PM »
The first song I remember hearing is Hangnail by James Taylor, which my dad was playing in his car. I was exposed to music during my early years mostly through him playing stuff on car rides. I do remember that my actual first artist, the first musical experience I ever had, was Eric Clapton, but I have no memory of what song(s) were played.

I have some Eric Clapton and James Taylor now, but I seldom listen to them.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 06:18:56 PM »
I want to find a picture at my dad's house before I post.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 06:26:57 PM »
Probably some classic rock.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 06:43:38 PM »
Mommy's heartbeat.  :P

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 06:52:46 PM »
I think it was like 1990 ish and perhaps tom petty. I distinctly have very early memories of hearing Free fallin alot and his music in general

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 06:54:19 PM »
i know i listened to a lot of the beatles when i was younger. that's the most i remember

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 10:37:02 PM »
I remember my brother blasting Kiss and Van Halen in the house when I was a toddler.  But I couldn't name any specific songs.

Earliest songs I remember hearing would be Jack and Diane, Steppin Out, Thriller, and Africa - all from 1982.  Guess that's the year my musical consciousness took form.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 10:57:19 PM »
It would be my Dad's stuff - records that I remember around the house were Chicago , James Taylor, Glen Campbell and the single for "Moscow" (Genghis Khan)  :D

The first album I got for myself was KISS Killers in 1982 ( aged 7 or 8) - I still have the cassette.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 12:46:36 AM »
To as far as I can remember, it's most likely Nsync's Bye, Bye, Bye or Backstreet Boy's I Want It That Way.  My sister was a huge boy bands fans as most teenage girls are in the late 90s.  The first rock song could very well be...... Limp Bizkit's Nookie or Faith or something from Korn or Disturbed or Linkin Park.

Obviously, as a guy in my 20s, I cannot listen to boy bands.  It just feels weird.  As for the Nu-metal bands, big no on Limp Bizkit (though I do like to hear Gold Cobra from time to time, that intro is so sick.)  I can tolerate Linkin Park and Korn, and I've warmed up to Disturbed (it helps that they picked Alter Bridge to open for them, this summer, and had Myles Kennedy to sing the Sound of Silence with them in the last quarter of the tour).

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 01:02:28 AM »
I wasn't really a musical kid. And I'm old enough to have been a little boy in the pre-internet era, so it was basically anything was on radio during the trips with the family, and old vinyls at home, mainly mainstream italian music.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 01:32:26 AM »
Obviously I have no clue since our memories don't work that far back, and mine are worst than most.

But I will say the first music I remember liking.

Ready for it? Sound track to 3 Ninjas Kick Back.

Yup! Loved that sound track for the longest time. I was 12, so clearly there was other music beforehand, but I have no clue.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jcmoorehead

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 05:35:10 AM »
The earliest stuff I really remember is the Bat Out Of Hell 2 album by Meat Loaf, We Can't Dance by Genesis and Musical Version of War Of The Worlds by Jeff Wayne. I think there is some Erasure thrown in there as well as my mam/aunt liked them.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 05:38:14 AM »
First music I heard? The music my parents played. I think a lot of Deep Purple, AC/DC, Neil Young, Beatles.. a lot of that stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 07:31:46 AM »
I grew up on country. Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Elvis, Hank Jr.    My aunt was a record collector (1,000s) and she would bring over a stack every Saturday night with her boyfriend/husband (my Uncle Joe) and we would get pizza and listen to music.   Goddamn, good times.

My first record was "Snoopy and the Red Baron" by the Royal Guardsmen (Ritchie Blackmore's - my favorite musician ever - walk off music for Blackmore's Night, by the way). 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 07:43:26 AM »
I remember cradling my teddy bear and listening to Petula Clark singing "Downtown" on the radio.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline T-ski

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 08:42:53 AM »
no idea.

if I had to venture a guess it'd be something attached to the birth of rock 'n roll as my parents were teens in the late 50's.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 09:32:37 AM »
The first song I remember hearing is Master of Puppets when I was three years old.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 09:35:46 AM »
Pretty sure it was Funkytown by Lipps, Inc.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 10:42:36 AM »
The first song I remember being into as a child was Paper Lace's Billy Don't Be A Hero. I loved that song and it left an impression on me, I never volunteer for anything  :biggrin:

Here in all its glory for you kids  :biggrin:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6cdFuMgMkBM

Always thought it would make great cover...

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 08:23:02 PM »
First bands I listened to via my dad: Queen, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, REO Speedwagon
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2016, 06:31:19 AM »
The first memory I have of listening to music was when I was really young and I got out of bed to go to the bathroom, and I walked past my dad's room, where he was listening to music, and his door was opened (mine was shut, so I didn't hear it in bed).  The song that was playing was Rammstein's Spieluhr, and I actually stopped in the doorway to listen to it because it was just so cool, I presume (I don't remember my reasons for stopping). Anyway, after standing there for half the song, my dad noticed me and sent me back to bed, where I proceeded to have nightmares about being buried alive (that's what the song is about).

Oddly enough, Spieluhr remains one of my favourite Rammstein songs, so despite the nightmares, it probably left a good impression.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 10:36:44 AM »
unsure, but 1 of the earliest songs my parents would play for me and my brother:

Don McLean - American Pie

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 08:46:13 AM »
I want to find a picture at my dad's house before I post.

Now that worked very well.  :hat
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »
My father was always listening to music in the house. Some of my first experiences were probably listening to the likes of The Doors, Mothers of Invention, doo-wop, and some others. I still listen to all of them. The first cassettes I ever had were Ozzy's Bark at the Moon and Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry, neither of which I still listen to at all.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2016, 11:30:07 AM »
I should also add that my grandmother, who my dad and I lived with till I was like 9, listened to a lot of swing and big band type stuff. She loved her some Glenn Miller. So there's also that.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2016, 10:09:45 PM »
Jump for my love by the pointer sisters. I was 2 or 3. Whenever they said jump I would jump. Van Halen was also one I did that to, but I distinctly remember doing that to the pointer sisters song in my bedroom and jumping on the bed and getting in trouble.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 12:20:52 PM »
earliest memory i have is "jump" by van halen.. my dad would have that on or Queen/Jethro Tull/Peter Frampton... you can see where i get my taste in music from  :tup
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016, 01:54:59 PM »
The earliest music I remember liking that my Dad listened to was The Hollies.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2016, 09:13:18 PM »
The earliest full album I remember hearing was "Welcome to the Real World" by Mr. Mister. Dad played that nonstop.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2016, 10:21:51 AM »
My Mom had a lot of garbage on the turntable, but some kind of music was always there.

The first whole song on the radio that I remember was probably Let It Be.

I have to give her credit though. She became a fan of Emerson Lake and Palmer after I discovered them which surprised the hell out of me.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2016, 08:53:45 AM »
I obviously can't remember the first time I ever heard music in my life, but Peter Gabriel's Red Rain is one of the first songs I can remember hearing and truly loving. It's still one of my favorite songs to this day.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2016, 10:57:10 AM »
My Mom had a lot of garbage on the turntable, but some kind of music was always there.

I didn't know they'd been around that long :neverusethis:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2016, 06:51:20 PM »
:vomitard: